Ponderosa Pines State Park

Blackburn

• 1 year later...

It started out as a joke.  No.  More accurately it started out with the usual question of what to do today that lead to the joke.  'Why don't we hike Mount Randle?'  One of them blurted out.  It was me, I said that and one thing led to another.  Should have known Mark liked hiking.  Now we're pulling into the small car park before the last leg of Abbott's Trail.  It should be a beginner's trail and the shorted route to the top which is good because neither me or Mark are really into hiking.

As Mark brings his truck to a stop I open the passenger's side door and hop out to do a bit of stretching while looking like I just went shopping at L.L. Bean cause I did; several days ago.  Olive green cargo pants and a navy blue fleece jacket were just clothes I planned to wear around the house over the fall.  However with the plan to go hiking I decided to wear them now with boots I bought for hunting.

'Ok, two miles up, two miles down. Back before dinner.  Ready?'

Putting on my sunglasses and UMaine cap I look at Mark and grab my backpack from the floor of Mark's truck before shutting the door.  Then I set my backpack down on the truck's bonnet and double check to make sure I've got everything.  A variety of snacks, bottle of water, epipen, cellphone, and first aid kit.  Good.  Everything I can think of is in here.  Zipping the bag up I sling it around my back and nod to Mark that I'm ready to go.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1504

I still wasn't really sure how we had managed to come to the conclusion that hiking Mount Randle was not only a good idea, but something we were going to do. Of course Evelyn liked hiking. Now here we were, pulling into the parking lot at the trailhead. Evelyn looked like an L.L. Bean model, and I looked like a lumberjack. Flannel shirt, jeans, and an SCFD stocking cap.

I hop out and stretch my legs, then grab my backpack and sling it on. I fasten my chest and stomach straps, giving Evelyn a thumbs up and a smile as she asks if I'm ready.

'You know it, babe. Let's hit the trail.'

I wait for her and then start into the trailhead, looking up to the mountain we were shooting for.

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1909

Hearing Mark's response I smile and turn towards the trail moving towards it.  No turning back now.  Well there is still time to turn back but it doesn't seem like we are.  As we walk about a minute onto the trail we can still see the top of mountain through the opening of the trees.

'Bet the view is going to look great up there.  Not a cloud in the sky.'

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

I liked hunting well enough, but man, hiking was mediocre at best. It was just a fancy word for taking a fat walk in the woods. It was alright, but if Evelyn wanted to do it, Mark would do it to satisfy her. He glanced up to the top of the mountain, looking ahead.

"Everything I've heard says the views are really great. And it's so clear today, so it should be a great view."

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Can't wait to see it.'

Too bad it wasn't hunting season or I would have suggested that as a joke.  Well, some animals might be in season right now but in the few years I've been here I haven't quite bothered to find out what and when.  Though I liked the outdoors, hiking wasn't really my thing.  Sure I also like to run but that's really just to keep in shape for work.  Well if Mark wants to go hiking then that's what we're going to do.

'So, what's new in the world of firefighting?'

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

'Oh you know, same old same old. Put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Find em hot, leave em wet. Cause more damage than the fire. Same shit different day, you know? What's new in the world of law enforcement?'

I look over to Evelyn as we hike up the trail. Jesus this was for the birds. We should've went hunting or fishing instead of this. Views be damned, I had a plenty good view at home in my bed.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Oh, same ole, same ole.  County still acting like a hollywood movie at times.  Other times quiet for a long time.'

How far have we walked?  How long have we walked?  Are we almost even there yet?  Should have brought a rifle or a fishing pole.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

'Wonder who I gotta ask for royalties for playing a role in this story'

Snickering a bit I grin as I look at the trail ahead of us.  Highly doubt we're even a quarter of the way to the top by now.  I look to the sides of the trail for anything interesting to see but all that's seen is trees and dirt.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

• 2 weeks later...

I chuckle.

"Yeah, right? At least let me get something out of it."

I survey the trail ahead, taking a glance out over the side of the trail. We were most certainly not halfway up the mountain yet.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

A bit of silence follows with nothing but the sounds of footsteps crunching on the dirt and the sounds of nature surrounding us as we press on.  With no topics of conversation at the moment my mind thinks of various things until it is caught in one simple thing looping in my head.

♫'There once was a ship that put to sea♫

Not sure why what got stuck in my mind was a sea shanty but singing it beats the silence.  It also reminds me of the night I met Mark at Roosters when we both sang at the Karaoke.  Continuing on I begin clapping my hand against my thigh for a drum beat to match.

♫'And the name of that ship was the Billy o' Tea'♫

Clapping my hands against my thigh while walking immediately feels weird so I switch up to just clapping my hands together for the beat.

♫'The winds blew hard, her bow dipped down, Blow, me bully boys, blow'♫

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

I walk down the trail, enjoying the nature and the views as I look around. I glance over to Evelyn as she starts singing and grin as I recognize the song. Who didn't recognize it now? I join in on the next verse, singing along with her as we hike up the trail.

Soon may the Wellerman come

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

♫'To bring us sugar and tea and rum'♫

Hearing Mark join in I smile as we continue down the chorus.

♫'One day, when the tonguin' is done, We'll take our leave and go.'♫

Moving close to Mark I latch onto his arm and lean in as we continue walking and singing.

'She'd not been two weeks from shore
When down on her, a right whale bore
The captain called all hands and swore

He'd take that whale in tow'♫

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

I smile as Evelyn latches onto my arm and I take her hand, squeezing it lightly. I join in on the verses I can remember, singing along. It was like when we met at that karaoke night at Rooster's. Good memories.

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909