Zach Russo's House

Z. Russo

zrussoportrait.png

SCSD Captain Zachary Russo

DOB 9/13/1975

Zachary Charles Russo was born into a blue collar middle class Irish Italian family. His father was a union electrician and his mother worked in the office at the local elementary school. He has an younger brother who runs a commercial appliance repair business and a younger sister who is a school social worker. Zach grew up with the intention of continuing the family business of being an electrician. For his 18th birthday his father surprised him with an apprenticeship with a family friend. After a week or so of this apprenticeship Zach took the countywide police test and several months later got called for the academy. When he told his father that he was going to be a Sheriff's duputy his father and him got into an argument and didn't speak for several years, his father turning his attention to Zach's brother Nick. On June 1st, 1994 Zach Russo was sworn in as a sheriff's deputy trainee. Graduating in December of 1994 Zach was quickly assigned to the patrol division. When the Fort Shannon PD was disbanded in 1997 Zach was reassigned to a steady sector in the dangerous 5 points neighborhood. In July of 1999 Zach would meet Stephanie Whitman while at a coffee shop in Crescent Falls she was working her way through school.

In 2000 Zach took the sergeant's test after reaching top pay as a deputy. Later that year Stephanie would tell Zach news that would change their lifes forever. She was pregnant with their first child. Zach quickly proposed and a month prior to announcing the pregnancy they got married at the Forth Shannon courthouse on January 17th 2001. In July of that year Ashley Russo was born. The first few months were hard on the family due to Zach's Irregular hours  and Stephanie's school schedule. Zach and Stephanie enlisted the help of his mother to take care of Ashley while he worked and she studied. 

In 2002 Zach's Sergeants list number was called and he was promoted to Sergeant. He was assigned to the youth and schools unit coordinating county school resource officers and acting as the point of contact between the schools in the county. This was a position with regular hours and relieved much of the strain and tension in the family stemming from childcare issues. In 2004 Zach had made a connection with the prestigious Arcadia Prep Academy in the course of his duties. They had mentioned that they had a opening in the admissions department after Zach mentioned Stephanie had recently gotten her masters in Educational administration. Zach told Stephanie and she quickly applied and got the job. In early 2005 Stephanie found out she was pregnant again. The family decided to purchase their first house in crescent falls to support their growing family. In June of that year Zach would take the test for lieutenant. Kathrine Russo was born in November of 2005. In 2008 Stephanie found out she was pregnant with her last child James, and in June of 2009 James was born 8 weeks premature with a myriad of health problems including being in the NICU for several weeks.

In 2010 the family rang in the new decade by finding out Zach's list number for lieutenant was called and would be promoted to lieutenant. When he was promoted Zach was assigned his first command. The Traffic detail. Zach would excel in traffic with his subordinates being amonst the most productive members of the department. During this time due to budget problems the motor unit was disbanded. Zach took a lot of flack from his men from this. In January of 2014 Zach was involved in an officer involved shooting when he was on patrol in his unmarked department vehicle and stumbled up what he thought was a disabled vehicle on the side of I-48, When he approached the car 2 suspects opened fire through the rear window of the car. Taking cover behind the door of his car he returned fire striking and killing one suspect and wounding the other. After this incident Zach was reassigned as the executive officer of the community affairs office. Due to him not retiring after the shooting although he was eligible the sheriff recognized him as a command staff potential and promoted him to the rank of captain where he worked as the XO for the operations bureau and then due to the unexpected retirement of the Commander Pombo the then CO of operations Russo was assigned Acting CO of Operations.

938349569_russowife.jpg.faa1a628926b57d734c26028385b485e.jpg

Stephanie Elizabeth Russo

DOB 2/17/1979

Director of Admissions at Arcadia Preparatory Academy

Stephanie Russo was Born Stephanie Whitman on February 17, 1979 to a mixed race power couple from Selkirk. Both of her Parents being involved in the legal system, Her father David Whitman held a long time seat in the state assembly and her mother Ann was a corporate attorney. Growing up with powerful parents had its advantages and disadvantages. During her childhood Stephanie resented being forced to excel and do extracurricular activities such as violin and NHS, However she did have a passion for learning. While attending Selkirk Academy a prestigious prep school in Selkirk she was involved in the Future Business Leaders of America club. In her senior year she was appointed president. Where she she learned that she was an excellent administrator. After graduation she was accepted into Crescent Falls university's Business program. After her freshman year she would become bored and found out about the education administration program and quickly transferred.

In July of 1999 Stephanie would meet Zach Russo a Sheriff's deputy who frequented the coffee shop she worked at during her college years. After mustering up enough courage Zach would ask her out in August of that year and by December of that year they were in a happy relationship. The next year Stephanie was a Junior in college and found out that she was pregnant with the couples first child, Zach quickly proposed and they got married in January of 2001. Stephanie gave birth to Ashley in July of 2001 at CFU campus medial center. The couple's relationship was tense after that due to childcare issues with Zach supporting the family while Stephanie continued her studies. After enlisting the Help of Zach's mother for taking care of Ashley a lot of the tensions were relieved. In 2004 Stephanie would graduate from the graduate program at CFU in educational administration.

Using one of Zach's connections she found herself working at Arcadia Prep as an admissions coordinator. In 2005 after finding out she was pregnant again the couple would purchase their first house in Crescent falls. In November of 2005 The Couples 2nd child Katherine would be born and the 3rd child James being born in 2009, where he spent time in the NICU due to being born premature. In 2009 Katie was enrolled in Arcadia Prep Pre-K when Stephanie was called into a meeting with the schools special ed administrator. Where staff expressed concern that Katie was autistic, After being diagnosed with ASD, Katie remained in Arcadia Prep albeit with an IEP.

After her last two children requiring some sort of special needs Stephanie became an advocate for special education and sits on the county wide board for children with special needs. in 2016 Stephanie would be promoted to director of admissions for Arcadia Bay Prep and the following year she would open up the prestigious school to children with special needs at a rate faster then any other prep school on the east coast. In 2017 she went back to school part time so she could get her masters in special education. In 2018 She was honored by the Nation Special education advocacy institute for her work with the special needs.

1725689222_AshleyRusso.jpg.62c8c0698a86d80bf22218b7cbfa15d3.jpg

Ashley Marie Russo

Student at Crescent Falls University/Waitress at Essex Mountain Diner

Date of Birth 7/4/2001

Ashley Marie Russo was born to Zach and Stephanie Russo on the 4th of July 2001. Growing up with a Police Officer father and a mother who was still in college Ashley grew close with her paternal grandparents who raised her while her parents worked and studied. In 2006 Due to her mother's job Ashley was accepted at Arcadia Bay Prep. In her early school years Ashley Excelled as a student with a passion for reading and writing. In the fifth grade she started reading Harry Potter and was inspired by the book series. Inspired by JK Rowling she wanted to be an author. Reading and writing as much as she could. After the birth of her younger siblings Ashley felt resentful of the attention given to them despite Ashley being the most well adjusted of the children.

Her preteen years were spent mostly reading and writing in her room or at her grandparent's house in Fort Shannon. When she was 13 she tried out for the gymnastics team at school as a way to make friends and avoid her home where she felt ignored. Her teen years could be described as angsty and moody. When she was 14 she was arrested for shoplifting makeup at target. Due to her fathers connections the charges were quickly and quietly dismissed. When she was 15 she broke her leg after falling off the a deck railing while practicing for gymnastics forcing her off the team until she recovered. Ashley had another encounter with the law at the age of 16, where she was caught drinking in Fort Shannon park after dark, Once again due to her fathers position in the Sheriffs department all charges were dismissed without incident.

After acting out her mother suggested that she attend therapy, After a few sessions the therapist suggested that Ashley bring her parents INin. after a few sessions the family worked on the issues with giving equal attention to her and Ashley worked on trying to have a healthy relationship with James and Katie and to get back to what made her happy. She got back into gymnastics and reading. In her senior year of high school she was awarded a scholarship to CFU for gymnastics.

Ashley decided to major in English and live at home due to financial reasons. Since therapy Ashley has decided to help Katie with social skills and works part time at the Essex diner. Ashley does still have a rebellious streak but tries to maintain a relationship with her family.

Katherine Julia Russo

Katie Russo new.png

Date of Birth 11/17/2005

Student at Arcadia Preparatory Academy

spacer.png

James Charles Russo

Date of Birth 6/28/2009

Student at Arcadia Preparatory Academy

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

Russo Family Vehicles & Other Assets

Zach Russo's Daily Driver

2017 Ford Expedition

750.jpg

Stephanie's Daily Driver

2020 Lincoln Nautilus

Srusso car.jpeg

Ashley's Daily Driver

2008 Ford Fusion

7168d248-dd97-40f7-85b4-4b8dcbd0d63b.JPG

Zach's Weekend car

2003 Mercury Marauder

russo marauder.png

Zach Russo's Firearms

Smith and Wesson Model 64

Issued to Zach in the academy in 1994

17011834_1.jpg?v=8D0629A753C1F40

Beretta 92

Issued to Zach in 1996 when the department transitioned to semiautomatics

image-template-1.jpg

Sig Saur P226

Purchased By Zach to replace the Beretta 92 as a duty weapon in 2000 after hearing of another officers weapon stove piping

p226.jpg

Glock 22

Issued in 2011 when the agency switched to .40

glock.jpg

Sig Sauer P226 .40

Purchased in 2012 to replace the Glock as his duty weapon. Current Duty Weapon

226R-9-SSE.jpg

Smith and Wesson Model 640

Purchased in 1998 as a backup gun. Zach's Current backup gun

SMITH-and-WESSON-640-STAINLESS-2inch-38-SPL-5-ROUND-WOOD-GRIPS-EXCELLENT_101400267_113596_90A19FEACFBF942B.jpg

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 10PM

'I'm going to fucking kill them...'

*I say as I drive into Cresent Falls, I have an idea where I'm going as this place has been on the radar for a while. This was everything I needed to send my guys in and take care of this place for good and after tonight I would. I pull up to a sleazy college bar called Tumblers. I park my unmarked Ford Taurus down the street. I get out of the car and begin walking up to the place. I see Ashley smoking while talking to some guy, I can see shes uncomfortable. I walk up behind the guy.*

'Excuse me, I need to talk to her'

Austin: 'Whoa who the fuck do you think you are talking to my girl like that?'

Ashley: 'I'm not your girl Austin. I told you to leave me alone.'

Austin: 'Whoa, I said we were together now who the fuck is this.'

*I pull my jacket back revealing my Sheriffs badge clipped on my belt next to my off duty gun in its pancake holster.*

'I don't think you want a problem here. '

Ashley: 'Yeah Austin, My dads a sheriff so back the fuck off.'

'Why did I get a call from your sister saying Vodka is the best thing ever? Actually where is your sister?'

Ashley: 'Shes inside'

'You left your sister alone in a sketchy college bar? What is wrong with you? You know your sister is different.'

Ashley: 'Different? She has autism, shes not a retard I needed to talk to Austin before he sent pictures of me in the pool last summer. I have no idea where he got those, never been to our house'

'Stay here.'

*I push past the line I can see theres a bouncer ahead as I approach him.*

Bouncer: 'Where you think your going. Tonight's an 8 dollar cover'

*I pull my jacket back again to show my shield and gun.*

Bouncer: 'You think your a tough guy coming at me with that officer?'

'First off its captain and second off as of right now I can arrest you on two charges and have your security license revoked, However I'm off duty and I'm just looking to retrieve one of my underage daughters that you let into this shithole. If you don't step aside right now I will personally make your life a nightmare from which you will never wake. Do I make myself clear.'

*He side steps*

'Fucking thought so'

*I walk into the bar and its like any other sketchy college bar. Way too dark, Most of the people look like their 16, Terrible music. I look around for a few minutes and I see Katie talking to some guy who's way too old for her. I can see her sipping her drink way to fast*

Katie: 'And that's when I told my mom I don't even like olives!' She starts laughing as I see this guy not even pretending to be interested what shes saying

'That's so cool, Do you want to go someplace quieter?'

*I walk up to both of them.*

'Shes underage. Beat it.'

Katie 'Dad, I was making a new friend.'

'Katie, This man is creep, not your friend.'

*I take her by the shoulder and start leading her out. I point at the bartender. I can tell shes already had way too much to drink.*

'Hey, Don't think I'm forgetting your face. Im going to fucking shut this place down by the end of next week.'

Katie 'Dad he really nice. He gave me free drinks'

'Hes a scumbag bartender.'

Katie: 'Dad, I made a lot of new friends tonight!'

'Katie were leaving.'

*I walk outside and Ashley is leaning up against the wall.*

'I'm disappointed in both of you but Ashley you know better.'

*We walk in silence to the car. The girls get in the back and I start driving home*

Katie: I have to practice for college

Practice what?

Katie: Drinking

Ashley: Shut up, dads already pissed off at us.

Katie: I want the full college drunk girl experience.

Ashley: Yeah having your cop dad pull his gun on people and threaten them and then making a scene is the full experience. All you need to do now is puke up everything.

*I hear dry heaving, perfect fucking timing.*

Katie: 'I think I'm going to puke.'

*Katie vomits all over the backseat of the car and onto Ashley.*

Katie: 'Im a drunk college girl now. Ashley vomit with me!' She says as more comes up.

*I pull over and she opens the back door and finds a bush to puke in. Ashley begins to to the same after seeing the damage. She joins Katie at the bush. I step out of the car to keep an eye on them.*

Whoop Whoop

*I look up and see a CFU police car rounding the corner slowing down to find out whats going on,*

CFU Cop: 'Everything OK sir?'

'Yeah everything is under control.'

CFU cop: 'Are you an uber.'

'No. I'm a concerned parent who is completely losing track of his life and contemplating 2 extremely late term abortions.'

CFU cop 'Well uhh, You cant park your car here.'

'Department vehicle.'

CFU cop: You on the job?

'Captain at the Sheriff's department.'

CFU cop: 'Oh so everything's under control.'

'Yep,' 

CFU cop: 'If you want there's a gas station a few blocks south. You can probably get some  Gatorade for them. looks like their gonna need it. If you need to clean up the back I'm sure they have napkins there too.'

'Thanks,'

*He drives off as the girls get back in the car. I drive up to the gas station and grab a stack of napkins along with a few bottles of gatorade.*

'You two can clean up this mess. I hope the drunk college girl experience was worth it'

Katie: 'It was'

Ashley 'Yeah cleaning up me and my sisters puke from the back of dads cop car. I'm sure every girl does this.'

Katie: 'Now all I need to do is lose my virginity.'

*I sigh loudly and really hope nobody heard that.*

'Katie,'

*She looks at me not realizing what she said*

'Nothing take a Gatorade I got you blue.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 4 weeks later...

Stephanie: 'Fuck!'

*I hear coming from the kitchen.*

'Steph you ok?'

Stephanie: 'Kinda?'

'Whats Kinda?'

Stephanie: 'I cut my finger dicing potatoes. I'm cleaning up now.'

*A few minutes pass, I'm sitting in the living room watching a wood working tutorial on my iPad. I hear someone walking into the room.*

'Zach?'

'You know I should really take up woodworking I think I would be good at it... What did you do to your hand?' *As I turn around I see Stephanie holding her hand in a dish towel blood dripping down her arm.*

Stephanie: 'Stop watching your videos and take me to the fucking hospital.'

'Ok, Let me wrap that up better.'

*We walk to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit walking through the kitchen, Where it looked like what can only be described as a blood orgy took place after a knife fight.*

'What happened?'

Stephanie: 'The knife fell and I went to grab it.'

'Ok lets get you back in the kitchen and let me take a look at it.'

*We walk into the kitchen and I hold her hand under water. Its a pretty big cut and will need stitches.*

'This looks bad.'

Stephanie: '25 years as a cop and all you can do is hold my hand under water. I'm gonna be a cop and protect my family. Oh look the department is holding an EMT course I'm going to get this to keep you and the kids safe. And all you can do is tell me to put my hand under water and tell me how bad it looks.' Steph says half mockingly

'Do you want me to kiss it and make it better?'

Stephanie'No I want to meet an ER doctor who can do more then hold my hand underwater and then divorce you, take your pension and then run away with a doctor.'

'Then maybe I should stop holding your hand underwater and go back to my woodworking videos.'

'Stephanie: Touche'

*As I start wrapping her hand I here a blood curdling scream.*

'I think Ashley's home.'

Stephanie'Don't say anything.'

'Why?'

Stephanie'I want to see how this plays out. Shes the smart one I want to see her train of thought.'

'You know your the reason they invented child psychology.'

Stephanie: 'Shes the well adjusted one. I wouldn't fuck with the other two as much.'

'Good point.'

*My phone starts ringing.*

'I should tell her were here. I think the next step would be her barricading herself in her room with my gun. That would entertaining until she accident shot James.'

*Steph nods.*

'In the bathroom.'

*Ashley runs in as I'm finishing up.*

Ashley: 'What happened?'

'Mom cut herself cooking. were going to the hospital.'

Stephanie: 'Order a pizza for everyone and if you can try and clean up there should be cleaning supplies and gloves under the sink. I don't know when we'll be home.'

*We get into my car and drive to CFU Arcadia. We wait for what seems like hours, After checking my phone we get called into the triage room.*

RN: Mrs. Russo what brings you in today.

*Stephanie holds up her hand*

RN: 'What happened there?'

'Dinner was late.' *I say with a straight face.*

Stephanie: 'Zach, Stop it. No that's not what happened. I tried to catch a knife.'

RN: 'Tried to catch a knife?'

Stephanie: 'Yeah I was dicing potatoes and the knife slipped.'

RN: 'Ok lets get you seen'

*Concerned with the dinner was late statement with She takes her vitals and directs us to Urgi 5. The PA comes in and talks to us and says shes going to have to get stiches but it should heal up. After the PA leaves.*

Stephanie: 'Zach your such an asshole sometimes.'

'Your the one who was trying to do social experiments on our kids.'

*I hear a knock on the door and look up and see 2 arcadia cops standing in the door.*

Cop 1: 'Were here for the domestic assault.'

'You must have the wrong room.'

Cop 2: 'Are you Stephanie Russo?'

Stephanie: 'Yes, but nothing happened.'

Cop 1: 'We got a call from the triage nurse saying your husband attacked you with a knife.'

'Officers, I think there's been a misunderstanding.'

Cop 2: 'Sir can you step into the hall with me.'

*I step outside with the APD officer we walk into an unoccupied room*

Cop 2: 'So what happened, Dinner was late and you decided to go after your wife.'

*I start stifling my laugh.*

Cop 2: 'Is this a joke to you? I can arrest you right now and your looking at felony assault. What happened with your wife? Think your a tough guy. Like to beat women!'

*The first cop walks into the room and pulls his partner aside. They talk for a few minutes Cop 2 looks at me in disbelief a few times and they soon both walk over.*

Cop 1: Were sorry for the inconvenience, Captain my rookie would also like to say something to you.'

Cop 2: 'Sorry for any unprofessional behavior.' *He mumbles.*

*I walk back into the room where the PA is starting to suture Stephs hand.*

Stephanie: 'Your such a dick.'

'At least I can use both hands.'

'Yeah you'll be using them for a while.'

*I check my phone and see Ashley got pizza for Her, Katie and James. As the PA goes over the discharge instructions and we leave. Checking the clock its pretty late.*

'Ashley took care of Katie and James. You hungry?'

Stephanie: 'I can eat. What are you in the mood for?'

'Mikes, Its only 15 minutes away.'

Stephanie: 'I can do diner food.'

*We get into the car.*

'Are you gonna cut your other hand and make a mess of there kitchen again?'

Stephanie: 'I don't know are you going to make jokes that almost get you arrested again?'

'You love my jokes.'

Stephanie: 'Maybe'

*Steph leans her head on my shoulder as we head towards the diner*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 3 weeks later...

Stephanie: 'If you get a tattoo your out of this house.'

Ashley: 'Fuck you mom!'

*I sigh since this is been a long standing argument. As I walk into the kitchen to grab another beer I have an immediate desire to retreat back into the den with James and Katie. I take a few steps back.*

'Hey James you want to get dad a beer?'

James: 'Mom and Ashley are going full psycho. I'm not going out there.'

'Katie? Grab me a beer.'

*I look over and see Katie is doing that thing she does where she rocks back and forth on heels. This is not a good sign.*

Katie: 'Do you think there going to stop being shitty before mom has to drive me to program? I don't want to be in the car when shes mad...'

'Ok, I'll grab myself a beer.'

*I walk out of the den and walk past Stephanie and Ashley screaming at each other.*

Ashley: 'Dad! Mom wont let me get a tattoo!'

Stephanie: 'If you get a tattoo your out of this house.'

'Ashley, don't upset your mother...'

Ashley: 'What the fuck dad can't you take my side once. And don't think I didn't see you trying to avoid this earlier.'

Stephanie: 'Don't drag your father into this.'

*I walk past the two and grab a beer and walk back to the den. The two are still screaming at each other as I'm about to sit down I can see the kids are really distressed. Its a nice day and getting them out of the house may diffuse this.*

'Its nice out anyone want to help me wash the Mercury?'

*I lead the kids out of the house to the driveway. I open the garage door and pull out My 2003 Mercury Marauder, A car I had fallen in love with after Ashley was born and got a great deal on when my 1994 Explorer blew a transmission. I park it in the middle of the driveway.*

'Someone get the cleaning supplies, The other gets the hose.'

*As I do a walk around of the car I notice an car sitting across the street that I haven't seen before. Whatever maybe someone is getting a delivery or some shit, Whatever.*

'Katie, Spray down the wheels with this. James fill that bottle up with the soap.'

*We quickly get the car washed, The yelling seems to have subsided in the house.*

'You know this is car is one of 328 ever made.'

James: 'Yes dad, It was an exclusive color for 2003 and mom almost killed you for getting the car right after Ashley was born because she wanted a minivan. You tell us the story whenever you look at the car.'

*I notice the car that was sitting across the street driving by. Come to think of it I've seen that car sitting across the street from my house a few times with the same kid sitting in it over the past. This is downright suspicious. The car parks across the street in a different spot. The driver gets out.*

'Ok guys lets head in, Katie get ready for program.'

*James and Katie run off upstairs. Stephanie is sitting at the kitchen island. I sit down next to her.*

'So there's an issue, Have you noticed a car with some kid sitting in it recently.'

Stephanie: 'Yeah I saw it a few times last week.'

'I don't like it at all. '

Stephanie: 'My cop senses are tingling' *Steph says in a mocking tone.*

'You remember the combination to my gun safe?'

Stephanie: 'Our anniversary.' *She says with a sigh.*

'Yeah. You remember what I taught you when we first started dating?'

Stephanie: 'Aim for center mass. Feet apart shoulder length.' *She groans.*

'Yep.'

Stephanie: 'They only part about that date I liked was what we did after.'

*I shoot Steph a side eye and smile.*

Stephanie: 'So whats on the agenda tonight. I have to take Katie to program. Then maybe grabbing pizza.'

'Maybe we can do a movie night?'

Stephanie: 'You sat on your ass and watched movies all day the only reason you got off your ass was to prevent Katie having a meltdown. '

'Not arguing that one bit but I needed a day off with the kids. Don't give them enough attention and you get Ashley.'

Stephanie: 'Yeah we kinda dropped the ball with her but I am not letting her get a tattoo.'

'Agreed.'

Stephanie: 'Ever wonder if were shitty parents?'

'One kid hates us but is well adjusted, One is on the spectrum but isn't shitting herself in a group home and is as well adjusted as she can be, and the other was premature but isnt on a vent and is also well adjusted. So I think were mostly doing a good job with the things we can control. Ashley will grow out of this preferably without any tattoos.'

Stephanie: 'I guess your right. So what movie were you thinking?'

'Falling down.'

Stephanie: 'Good Choice if this was 1994.'

'Yeah yeah.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday.

*As the toaster oven alarm goes off I grab the reheated slice of pizza out and place it on a plate. I walk back to the couch and sit down, Flipping through my phone seeing the latest cars and coffee has been cancelled due to a scheduling conflict. A tad disappointed I lean back. Stephanie walks in.*

Stephanie: 'Is this what you do all day?'

'You see how this house isn't overrun by a band of raiders?'

Stephanie: 'Yes'

'You're fucking welcome.

*She groans.*'

'Do you think I should get an instagram? I could be one of the cool dads.'

Stephanie: 'You would ruin it.'

'I could put pictures of the family there, maybe of things I cook. Oh the Mercury too!'

Stephanie: 'No Comment.'

'Fuck you I'm making one.'

*I open my iPad and download the app. I quickly make an account.*

'How does captainmaruader sound?

Stephanie: 'Like your trying to hard.'

'Thats settled then.'

*I make the account and add a few friends and family. I search Ashley's name and click add. I see a picture that she posted an hour ago. I click it and notice the caption says "just got my nose done, Love my sister for Being my moral support". I look up at the picture and see there's something shiny in Ashley's nose.*

'What the fuck!'

*Steph walks over.*

'Whats wrong?'

'Ashley got her nose pierced.'

Stephanie: 'Well I mean she can take it out, Its not as bad as a tattoo.'

'Still Its bad.'

Stephanie: 'I mean yeah but it could be worse.'

'She's out of this house.'

Stephanie: 'Zach, Calm down its just a phase. And from what I heard about them the don't leave holes when ou take them out.'

'Fine but I'm still yelling at her when she comes home.'

Stephanie: 'We'll do it together.'

'Deal.'

*A few hours later Ashley's car pulls into the driveway and they walk in. Me and Steph are waiting in the living room*

'Can you sit down?'

Stephanie: 'Now, both of you.'

*The girls sit down.*

'A fucking nose ring, Seriously?'

Ashley: 'Its just a tiny stud dad. You won't even notice it.'

'I still don't like it.'

Ashley: 'Its my body and I'm an adult.'

'I'm an adult and its my house, Take it out or your out of this house.'

Ashley: 'Fine then I'm going to get a tattoo on my crotch that says daddy's little girl in olde english script.'

*Fuck, Ashley learned to argue from me.*

'Fine then if you do that I am never talking to you again!'

Ashley: 'Just like you did when I was growing up. Fuck you dad!'

'Good thing because I don't talk to white trash!'

Ashley: 'I'm leaving!'

'Good!'

*Katie is sitting on the couch starting to flap her hands. Shes holding back but everyone in the house is noticing it.*

'Look at what you started, you got your sister upset.'

Ashley: 'Even when your trying to pay attention to me she comes first!'

'Leave!'

Ashley:'Fine' Ill go pack my shit and live on the streets and whore myself out!'

'Good I don't care!'

Stephanie: 'Zach! Stop! Ashley your not out of the house.'

'Yes she is!'

Ashley: 'Fine then have fun at the next department meeting where you can tell them how you kicked out the daughter you neglected.

'That job supported you for 19 years and if your going to do that to your body its not going to support you anymore.'

Ashley:'Fuck you I'm gonna be a stripper.'

*Katie starts breaking down crying and screeching.*

'Zach go out to the garage, Ashley go to your room. Both of you need to calm down right fucking now.'

*As we leave while Katie runs through her melt down*

'I am very disappointed in you'

Stephanie: 'I'm disappointed in both of you'

Ashley: 'Fuck you dad.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 3 weeks later...

*Putting down my iPad after watching a video on homebrew.*

'Hey Steph, I'm going to make my own homebrew. I'm going to call it Brewsso.'

Stephanie: 'No!'

'Why not? Its better then re watching arrested development.'

Stephanie: 'Because here's whats gonna happen, Your going to get super into it and then your either going to get bored or it or work's gonna get crazy and your going to forget about it and then I have a shit load of moldy yeast water that I have to get rid of. You watching Netflix is less work for me.'

'Valid point...'

Stephanie: 'Also the name is terrible.'

'Now you crossed a line'

Stephanie: 'I stand by it.'

'Fine whats for dinner?'

Stephanie: 'I'm making lemon chicken breasts with potatoes and broccoli.'

'Sounds good.'

*I hear Someone walking downstairs. I turn my head to see its Ashley. She goes into the kitchen and grabs herself something from the fridge and goes upstairs without saying a word. Things have been tense since our last fight.*

Stephanie: 'Dinner will be ready around 530.'

Ashley: 'K, Ma'

*Ashley says as she goes upstairs.*

Stephanie: 'Shes been home a lot more lately.'

'Yeah, Its unlike her.'

Stephanie: 'Has she said anything to you lately?'

'Like what?'

Stephanie: 'Maybe if somethings wrong?'

'You really thing she would talk to me about anything. She's said like 3 words to me after that last fight.'

Stephanie: 'Yeah but I don't think shes left the house in days.'

'Unlike her.'

Stephanie: 'Can you ask her to pick up James from hockey?'

'Ok'

*I get up and walk upstairs. Knocking on Ashley's door*

Ashley: 'What do you want?'

'Hey Ash'

Ashley: 'What. do. you. want?'

'Can you pick up James from hockey?'

Ashley: 'Why can't you?'

'I'm in the middle of something and moms making dinner.'

Ashley: 'I can't'

'Why not?'

Ashley: 'Uh I think somethings up with my car.'

'Ok take my truck. I'll take a look at your car.'

*She begrudgingly gets up and walks downstairs I follow behind her and grab the spare set of keys for her car as she takes the keys for the expedition.*

Ashley: 'Where does James do hockey again?'

Stephanie: 'At CFU.'

Ashley: 'At CFU?'

Stephanie: 'Yeah.'

Ashley: 'Ok I'm going to CFU.'

*She says with a bit of an anxious tone in her voice.*

'Everything Ok?'

*Her anxiety quickly turns back to angst.*

Ashley: 'I'm fine dad!'

*She yells in a defensive tone as we walk out the front door. She follows me over to her car and grabs a hoody out of the back seat and puts it on as she stalks off to my car and drives off. After a few minutes of looking at her car and taking it around the block I find nothing wrong with it. Returning back inside I put the spare keys on the rack.*

'Something is going on with her but I can't figure it out.'

Stephanie: 'I'll try talking to her after dinner.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 3 weeks later...

*A few hours after the car show.*

Waitress: 'I'll get the check right out to you.'

'Thank you,'

*The waitress goes back into the the kitchen of the pizza place we frequent in Oxnard.*

James: 'Dad why did you make us eat squid?'

'You need to expand your horizons.'

*James sits poking at the piece of his calamari.*

James: 'Great you make us go to your dumb car show and now you make me eat squid.They taste like rubber bands and then you made me leave my switch in the car'

'I did that so we can bond as a family and your sister liked it.'

*Katie nods. Having eaten the majority of the appetizer plate*

Katie:'These were really good. Sorry for eating all of them I hope I didn't ruin lunch.'

'Your good.'

James: 'Take mine'

*She says as she takes the piece of James' plate and eats it. The waitress returns with the check. I pay with cash and we prepare to leave. As we leave the restaurant and walk through the parking lot.*

Pube beard'Excuse me!'

*I turn around. I hate being noticed, After being a cop for 25 years not everyone who recognizes me is a friendly face. And I really don't  like it when people talk to me if I have my family with me. I subconsciously put my hand on my gun.*

'Can I help you?'

*A young man in his early 20s with a pube beard runs up to me.*

Pube Beard: 'Your Ashley's father right?'

'Yeah can I help you?'

Pube Beard 'Ashley hasn't been returning my calls and acting weird, So uhh can you give her this?'

*He hands me a envelope.*

'An envelope? A bit much don't you think?'

Pube Beard 'She's not returning  my calls or texts. I need to talk to her!'

'And whats your relation to my daughter?'

Pube Beard 'Just tell her this is from Austin.'

*Hes getting visibly uncomfortable at my line of questioning, And begins to walk away.*

Austin: 'Just please give it to her.'

*We get in the car and I slide the envelope into the visor.*

'Katie do you know anything about that?'

Katie: 'Austin has been stalking Ashley for a while now. That's why she hasn't been leaving the house.'

'Why didn't you tell me?'

Katie: 'Ashley said if I did you would go full dad on everyone'

'Well shes not wrong.'

Katie: 'Ashley is going to be so mad at me, Shes never going to talk to me again and were never going to do fun things anymore.'

*Katie starts to get agitated and talks fast and starts repeating herself*

'You did the right thing. I can help Ashley now.'

*We quickly drive home as Katie panics and I calm her down. this happens a few times on the way home. I pull into the driveway and see Ashleys car there. As we go inside I find Stephanie.*

'Katie's calmed down?'

*Stephanie asks referring to the melt down from the car show.*

'Yeah from this one but she had a small one on the way home. We need to talk to Ashley.'

Stephanie: 'Related?'

'Yep, Katie told me Ashley's secret'

Stephanie: 'Why is everything ok?'

'No, Apparently Ashley is being stalked.'

Stephanie: 'She mentioned a guy was coming on too strong with her. That's it.'

'He tracked me down and wanted me to give her an envelope when we went to the pizza place. Also made the discovery Katie really like calamari. James does not.'

Stephanie: 'Focus!'

'I guess I give this to Ashley and we talk to her'

*We walk upstairs and knock on Ashley's door.*

'Hey can we talk?'

'What do you want?'

*We walk in and ashley is wearing a tank top and pajama bottoms laying on her bed.*

Stephanie: 'Its 4 o'clock why are you in bed.'

'Haven't really wanted to go out.'

'So some kid with a pube beard gave me this to give to you. Said you were avoiding him.'

*I hand her the envelope.*

Stephanie: 'You know you can talk to us about anything.'

Ashley: 'I know mom.'

*She opens the envelope. I can see Ashley getting more upset and starting to tear up.*

Stephanie: 'You ok?'

*Stephanie looks at the letter.*

'Zach you need to look at this.'

*She passes it to me and I read it and it can only be described as violent sexual imagery in a veiled threat.*

'Ashley. We need to do something about this.'

Ashley: 'Oh because I can't!'

'Its not about that.'

Ashley: 'Yeah it is, Whenever something bad happens officer dad comes charging in to save me.'

'Yeah but with whats in this letter makes me concerned that he's going to hurt you, Hes pretty much telling you that.'

Stephanie: 'You need to listen to your dad.'

Ashley: 'No I want to handle this myself! No more asking for help! Im an adult.'

Stephanie: 'Zach. Can you go downstairs.'

*I leave and go downstairs. Stephanie comes down about 20 minutes later. I'm sitting on the couch and Stephanie sits down next to me*

Stephanie: 'She said that she has to think about it. I told her you would give her guidance but won't step in unless she asked or if it was life or death.'

'I mean I can step in now and fix this right away.'

Stephanie: 'But that's not the point.'

'Fine. I guess our little girl is growing up.'

Stephanie: 'Yep.'

Katie: 'Mom, Dad! Look at this cute video of a lizard I found.'

*I hear Katie screaming and running in with her phone.*

Stephanie: 'I don't think that one is yet.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 1 month later...

Steph: 'Still no Wifi'

*I hear Steph yell as I reset the modem for the 4th time.*

'You have to wait for it to boot up before trying.'

Steph: 'Still nothing!'

'Maybe theirs an outage.'

Steph: 'Whenever it rains it does this.'

*I say as I walk back to the living room.*

Steph: 'I'm calling Verizon'

*As Stephanie unlocks her phone.*

Steph: 'Oh shit, Katie's group let out a half hour early! I need to make dinner can you go pick her up. Just text her to let her know I'm not coming.'

'Where's Ashley?'

Steph: 'Out with her new friend.'

'New friend?'

Steph: 'Yeah, shes been her usual self so she hasn't told me anything.'

'Not shocking but at least shes getting out of the house. Maybe the other thing resolved itself.'

Steph: 'I mean she hasn't said anything.'

'That's a good sign. But I should head out.'

*I walk outside as thunder rumbles in the distance and get into my truck. The weather didn't say anything about thunderstorms today but I always thought they were cool. I text Katie to tell her I'm on my way as I pull out of the driveway. Driving down to CFU I hit some traffic due to the weather. I text Katie again and still have no response, Strange. But I continue on. I arrive at CFU and park near where Steph normally meets Katie as I arrive I see a CFU cop car with its lights on. I park behind them and Text Katie that I have arrived. Still no response. I step out of the expedition approach the CFU PD car to see if they saw her. As I walk up I notice 2 CFU cops under the awning of a nearby building talking to my daughter. The conversation looks like its not going well. Katie is fidgeting as the cops are trying to talk to her. I can tell Katie is either is giving one word answers or none at all. The girl has issues with eye contact so this is not going to end well. As I approach I can see her reach into her pocket. One of the CFU cops grabs her arm forcefully.*

"Autistic Screeching"

*I walk up.*

'Hey!'

CFU Cop 1: 'Sir we need you to stay back!'

'Officer you need to stop right now.'

CFU Cop 1: 'I said stay back sir! Me and my partner are dealing with an issue. I'll talk to you in a moment.'

'That issue is my daughter. And I need your partner to stop trying to grab her right now.'

CFU Cop 1: 'Ok well sir your daughter us  trespassing on CFU property and we believe shes under the influence of something. So take a step back and so me and my partner are detaining her for her own safety.'

*This will not end well at all. I walk push past the first CFU cop out of the way and block the CFU cop from attempting to grab Katie.*

CFU Cop 2: 'Back the fuck up, I will arrest you!'

'I need you to stop right now and back up.'

*I say in an authoritative tone while placing my hand on his forearm A bit bewildered but he does stand down for a second. Looking at Katie*

'Its ok.'

*I say to Katie trying in vain to calm her down as The CFU cop regains his composure  and turns his attention away from Katie and starts to get in my face.*

CFU Cop 2: 'Who the fuck do you think you are telling me what to do and trying to touch me. I AM A POLICE OFFICER!'

CFU Cop 1: 'Yo this guy has a gun!'

*His partner screams from behind me. I assume he must have noticed me printing. As soon as officer Dipshit hears this he goes for his gun. Fumbling to get it out of the holster.*

'Captain Russo, Shiloh County Sheriff! I need you to calm down, Holster your weapon. I am reaching in my pocket now for my credentials.'

*I slowly move my hand into my pocket so he can see what I'm doing. I pull out my wallet and prepare to open it. Before I can he snatches it out of my hand and opens it revealing my gold Captains badge and Sheriff's ID. The look of shock and horror overcomes him when he realizes who I am*

CFU Cop 2: 'Captain Russo I am so sorry about this. Its just that your daughter was acting suspicious.'

'My daughter is autistic. I am going to take my daughter to my car to calm her down, While I do that you're going to call your highest ranking officer on shift here right now. I am going to speak to him.'

CFU Cop 1: 'I think the chief is still here'

*I help Katie get her calming spotify playlist set up as I walk her to the backseat of my truck.I hear the 2 CFU cops talking among themselves.  CFU Cop 1 begins to follow. After I set Katie up with spotify and she starts rocking.*

CFU Cop 1: 'Look, Captain, I'm sure the chief isn't going to be happy about having to come out to deal with a complaint.'

'I'm sure he won't. And I'm sure he'll be less happy when I tell him that you harassed the autistic daughter of a Sheriff's Captain.'

CFU Cop 1: 'And you know that we aren't covered by a union so me and my partner could lose our jobs.'

'I am aware.'

CFU Cop 1: 'So are you sure you still want to talk to him?'

'Yeah.'

CFU Cop 1: 'Do you think maybe this can be water under the bridge?'

'You idiots harassed an autistic girl and then attempted to draw your weapons on an off duty sheriff's captain who happened to be her father. No matter how you put it it sounds terrible. Have you ever had do no harm training?'

CFU Cop 1: 'Do no harm? I never even heard of it.'

'Thats another point I will be bringing up with your chief. Whats the status on him'

*CFU cop 2 walks up to us.*

CFU Cop 2: 'I didn't even call him yet I thought maybe you could look past this.'

'Like I just explained to your partner I'm not looking past this. Either get your chief here or I will.'

*CFU 1 cop looks at me in defeat and presses the PTT on his shoulder mic.*

CFU Cop 1: "CFU Auto post 19, I need CFU 1 in front of the Washington building."

*They walk away and talk among themselves I hear 'I'm going to lose my job' a few times while they talk. In a few minutes a black ford fusion pulls up and Ricardo Colon, the newly appointed chief of CFU PD and SCSD alumni gets out.* 

Ricardo: 'Zach, What are you doing here?'

*He says with a smile as he extends his hand.*

'Little bit of an issue Ric. Your guys done fucked up.'

*His Smile turns into a frown.*

Ricardo: 'What happened?'

*I explain the situation as he shakes his head numerous times.*

Ricardo: 'This is bad.'

'I know, and you got to do something about it.'

Ricardo: 'Weaver already has a few complaints like this against him already.'

*He says gesturing to CFU cop 2*

'Yeah he was the one that almost cuffed my daughter and almost pulled his gun on me. He didn't even know not to pull your gun when the perp is right in front of you. He's going to get himself or someone else killed.'

Ricardo: 'I don't know what to do with him.'

'Fire him.'

Ricardo: 'Zach, the man needs to eat and a roof over his head.'

'I don't give a shit. Fire him, He's a problem. He's not properly trained and had I not intervened he would have hurt my disabled daughter. Both of my children are on this campus on a regular basis and I don't feel there safe with this guy here.'

Ricardo: 'I don't...'

*I cut him off.*

'Either you fire him or I can get him fired. You'r school gets a lot of special ed funding from the state and county. If they find out that your cops don't have do no harm training it not just your cops ass its yours and his. You know my wife is on the special education council and has a lot of pull here.'

Ricardo: 'Yes I understand but...'

'If you did understand we wouldn't be having this conversation. You would know that the administration is going to side with the disabled student who you cop attempted to manhandle. You know if your cop was in the right this would be water under the bridge and we would be knocking back a few beers after this but I want you to act on this before I do.'

*I say this loud enough that the 2 CFU cops hear this. Weaver walks over to us.*

CFU Cop 2: 'I just want to apologize and would like to apologize to your daughter. Is she in your car?'

*He says as he walks toward the car*

Ricardo: 'You've traumatized her enough. I'm sure you wouldn't be apologizing if the circumstances were any different You two are going back to the station.'

*Ricardo looks at me.*

Ricardo: 'He's done. Your right. Their both done.'

'Look Ric, Its terrible that it has to come to this but you know just as well as do he shouldn't be out there. But the other guy...'

Ricardo: 'Chan?'

'Yeah him, He mentioned that you guys don't have do no harm and I know that's a state mandated thing now. My wife is on the special education council and does outreach so call her office and tell them you want to do that training for your department and they'll hook you up. My agency does it once a year and they do a good training. '

Ricardo:'Thanks.'

'No problem, and I'll hit you up about those beers.'

*I get into my truck as Ric walks back to his car. I look at Katie through the rearview. Shes calming down but I best leave her alone.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 6 months later...

Tuesday 5:30 Am

*The alarm blares as I feel the bed moves and Steph rolls out of bed. I'm a little bit more awake than normal today.*

'Maple sausage'

*I groan through half opened eyes.*

Steph: 'You get what you get unless you want to get up and make it.'

'Deal'

*I close my eyes. This had been the unofficial arrangement for several years since Steph was always the early riser of the house*

Blurp Blurp Blurp

*I roll over and check my phone. 6AM. I roll out of bed and silence the alarm. I walk over to our bathroom turn the Bluetooth speaker on and it automatically connects to my phones Spotify. I select one of the daily mixes and jump in the shower, Taking a fast and efficient shower while shaving. I get out and quickly dry off. I go to my closet and get dressed. I pick out a pressed pair of uniform pants and a crisp white shirt. I walk over to my dresser and put the captains pins on the collar. I put the nameplate and badge on next. I put the shirt on and check myself in the mirror. I go to my nightstand and take my department phone off the charger. I briefly check for any overnight texts or emails that I need to be aware of. Nothing. I walk down the hall to the kitchen island where Steph is preparing oatmeal with fresh fruit.*

'I thought I heard something about sausage.'

Steph: 'Contrary to popular belief I don't want my husband to die of heart dieses. I want you to get shot at work so I get those cool police widow license plates that get you out of tickets.'

'I already do that for you.'

Steph: 'I don't have to make breakfast for those plates'

'Kids up yet?'

Steph: 'Ashley's early class was cancelled so she texted me not to wake her up, Katie is always up early and, James better get his butt out of bed!!!'

James: 'I'm up Mom!!!!'

*Katie makes her way downstairs.*

Katie: 'I'm sorry I was late coming downstairs, I got my period this morning.'

Steph: 'Katie what did we talk about talking about that stuff at the table.'

Katie:  'That it makes dad uncomfortable.'

Steph:  'And its rude.'

Katie:  'Yep.'

*As James walks down the stairs I step into the living room with my department phone*

'Morning Jimmy,'

James: 'Morning, dad'

*I pull up the contact for the Overnight Platoon commander's phone and hit dial*

** Phone Call **

'Morning Jeff, Anything happen on the overnight I need to know so I don't get blindsided.'

'One robbery, Perp is outstanding but the detectives have the case. One stabbing at...'

'Let me guess that Spanish bar in Pearl Basin near the bridge?'

'Yep.'

'Shocker, I'll be in tough with vice sometime today maybe we can get it padlocked.'

'Aside from that nothing else.'

'Excellent, Get home safe.'

'Thank you Zach.'

** End Phone call **

James: 'What's padlocked mean?'

'It means I'm shutting that shit down.'

*I say as I sit down in front of my bowl of oatmeal with some apples and cinnamon. Steph turns her attention to the kids lunches.*

Steph:  'Zach I have a special Olympics planning committee meeting can you pick Katie up from program? James your going over to Dennis's house tonight to study right?'

James: 'Yeah,'

Steph:  'I'll pick you up from there.'

'Ok Katie, Ill meet you where mom normally meets you.'

Katie: 'Ok.'

Steph: 'I left some chicken cutlets defrosting in the fridge so Zach you can make dinner. I'll text you a few healthy recipes. I'll be home around 8.'

'Don't worry about the recipes. Me and Katie will take care of dinner. Tonight your learning how to make chicken parm! '

*Katie makes uncomfortable eye contact with me.*

Katie: 'Did you know mishandling chicken can kill a man...'

'Yeah but one day your going to need to know how to cook for yourself and who better to learn it with then chef dad.'

I say with a bit of an Italian accent attempting to make a dad joke

Katie: 'You weren't professionally trained as a chef so don't call yourself chef that's a title for people who earned it...'

Steph: 'Your barely a cop don't try and take on more then you can chew'

'I was trying to make a joke.'

*Katie continues making uncomfortable eye contact with me.*

'Can you try and have fun and learn how to cook with me.'

Katie: 'My program says life skills are important for living independent so yes I will.'

'Can you say it with any more enthusiasm?'

Katie: 'I can try and have fun!'

*Katie says with a big fake smile and fake enthusiasm.* 

'I'll take that as a win. How is program going?'

Katie: 'Were learning about...'

James: 'She's learning how not to be retarded.'

Katie: 'Autism is not retardation its a neurodivergence that...'

Steph:  'James!'

'You don't need to explain your brother is just being an asshole.'

*Stephanie begins to yell at James when my department phone rings. A yelling match between Katie and James begins*

** Phone call**

'Good morning Stan how are you?'

Sheriff: 'I'm alright, I would be better if you reassured me your merry band of idiots were going on modified assignment today.'

'Yes they are.'

Sheriff: 'That is good news. The reason that I'm calling is I want you to send out a unit to some community thing in Oxnard. Something about a memorial for that double homicide back in the 90s.'

'Yes I heard about that. I'm going to try to make it there on the way home. I just have to pick up my daughter from her program so she may or may not be there depending on time.'

Sheriff: 'I forgot you have psycho kids, That's no issue.'

'Yeah there something... I will see you at the station.'

** End Phone call **

*I walk back to the table as the yelling begins to calm down.*

'You realize you guys love to scream when the sheriff calls. Right.'

James: 'My friend's dad says that he's only concerned with his image because this is an election year.'

'Your friends dad isn't wrong, But I have to stay on his good side so I get that promotion and I can afford to send you to college.'

James: 'You don't need to worry about me dad I want to be a police sniper. Taking mentally disturbed freaks like her.'

*James says as he does a gun gesture at Katie as Katie flips him off.*

'James stop being an asshole to your sister. Katie where did you learn that?'

Katie: 'School'

'Good, Keep learning stuff like that.'

James: 'Can Dennis come over this weekend?'

'Is that that kid that I told you was creepy?'

James: 'Yeah.'

Steph: 'Lets see how you do on your science test and we can talk.'

*Steph Says chiming in.*

James: 'Fine.'

*I finish my oatmeal. Its almost 7:30.*

Steph: 'Were running late. Everyone hustle!'

*Steph uses her tiger mom voice as shew begins tying up any loose ends with the morning routine. As her type A personality kicks in she helps James put on his jacket. I walk over to the key rack and grab the keys to 400 and throw my duty jacket on. As Stephanie's Lincoln pulls out of the driveway I wave and get into the black ford Taurus, I turn the key and the electronics beep on. I put the car into drive and pull out of the driveway.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 1 month later...

*Waking up much later than usual. The combination of painkillers and being out of work for a week and a half have destroyed any sort of cadence I had before what the media called the Siege of Fort Shannon. Going over to my closet I put on a pair of gray sweatpants and look at my arm in the mirror, Its healing but it still looks pretty nasty, Especially the exit wound side. I'm probably not going anywhere fancy anytime soon. I throw on a faded green t shirt and check my phone. I hear my phone buzz, I walk over and see its almost 11am and I got a text from Steph.*

**Text**

'I made you a sandwich for lunch. Its in the fridge on the second shelf. I made an appointment for PT for you since if I didn't you would have never gone. Do you think you can drive or should I have Ashley drive you?'

'When is it?'

Sent

'Tomorrow, 1 o'clock at the CFU outpaitent building in Arcadia. Sorry I didn't ask, I thought you could clear your schedule of popping percocets and watching daytime TV. So do you want Ashley to drive you?'

'NVM If she doesn't your either never gonna go or your gonna die in a car accident. I'll text her now.'

*I grumble at this but she's not wrong. I can barely move my left arm without being in pain. Walking into the bathroom I open the medicine cabinet and take the unscrewed cap off the bottle of percs. I pop one and close the medicine cabinet. I look at myself in the mirror and I barely recognize the man looking back at me. I haven't shaved in a week I'm due for a haircut and I think I gained weight. I make my way into the kitchen and find the sandwich Steph made where she said she left it on a plate. I pour a glass of water and make myself comfortable on the couch. Turning on the TV and opening up Hulu, I hit resume and archer starts playing where I think it left off from when I went to bed. At this point its just background noise. I finish the sandwich put the dish in the sink. As the percs kick in I lay down on the couch and close my eyes.*

Steph: 'Is this all you did today?'

*I hear as I open my eyes. I see Steph coming in from work with James and Katie as they run upstairs I give her a grin. *

'No I ate the sandwich too.'

*Steph shakes her head.*

Steph: 'You haven't left the house since the last funeral. Did you think about what we were talking about last night?'

'Yeah and absolutely not, I'm not retiring. Its just going to be more of the same.'

Steph: 'You got shot. You got lucky and didn't get killed.'

'Steph I spent the past week doing nothing, except watch tv and pop pills! I'm not going to spend the rest of my life doing this.'

Steph: 'I spoke to my friend at the community college. They're gearing up to expand the public safety academy.'

'Look, Right now would be the worst time to retire. I'm not ready either. Right now the entire upper command of the department is trying to figure out the power vacuum. This is my chance to get chief deputy.'

Steph: 'Zach that may not happen.'

'Hero captain shot in the line of duty returns to work to a promotion. Think about that headline. It comes with a raise that we could use. Katie may be going to college, James is going to college and we can't guarantee there getting scholarships. Katie maybe if she gets into a stem program. James we know isn't a great student and you have too much integrity to grease some wheels.'

*Steph gives me a dirty look at that last comment.*

Steph: 'Do you even know if you can go back? I read online you have to prove your still physically able to be a cop, Desk job or not! Did you do those stretches the doctor said to do?'

'I did a few today.'

Steph: 'How many is a few?! Do you even want to go back? Your telling me one thing but you've been doing nothing since you got discharged!'

'I'm recovering from when I got fucking shot less than 2 weeks ago!'

*I say raising my voice.*

Steph: 'Then fucking prove it! Make an effort to help yourself, I don't want to see you use this as a crutch. If you want to go back go back!'

'So what happened to telling me to retire? Now you want me to keep being a cop! What happened to you wanting me to teach!'

Steph: 'I want us to be happy!'

'I'm not our children and this tiger mom thing isn't working on me.'

Steph: 'Ok I respect you wanting to go back. I get it but you need to be able to go back. Stop procrastinating get into physical therapy so you can go back!'

'I'm going tomorrow. I even have a babysitter to make me go.'

Steph: 'I want Ashley to drive you because you can't use your left arm let alone drive a car. Do you think I want to see you like this? Your the father of our children, your better than strung out on pills and passing out on the couch. You know that and I know that.'

'You think I like this, I'm missing a chunk of my arm, I'm probably going to need more surgeries to get my arm back to anywhere it needs to be.'

Steph: 'You sure you don't want to think about that instructor job?'

'Yes! For fucks sakes! I want to go back to being a cop!'

Steph: 'Ok. Sorry. I just don't want cop showing up at my job to tell me we have to go to the hospital now because you got shot. I don't want to see you hooked up to all those machines again. I don't think I could do it.'

*Steph sighs and gives an exasperated look in her eyes. I say quietly and look her in the eyes*

'I know you want what's best. And I love you, Its just being home is starting to fuck with my head. I want to get back. I want to go back to feeling useful. I know I got lucky. I just don't want to throw away a career over this. We still got to get the kids through college we still have a mortgage to pay, We need my health insurance for the family. I don't want my career to end this way, Not like this. I need to go back.'

'I understand. And I love you and want you to be happy. I need to start dinner but try and clean yourself up for dinner.'

'I will.'

*I lean in and give her a kiss before I get up. James walks downstairs.*

'Jimmy, Give me a hand with cleaning my arm.'

James: 'Ok dad.'

*James follows me into the bathroom as I grab the bottle of peroxide.*

'Just pour it over my wound. I can't reach.'

James:  'Ok dad.'

*He unscrews the cap.*

James: 'Were you and mom fighting?'

'We were talking.'

James: 'I heard you cursing and yelling it sounded like a fight.'

'Its a complicated issue but we resolved it.'

James: 'She doesn't want you going back. She's scared. I overheard her talking to Ashley.'

'Its complicated.'

James: 'If you go back are you going to get shot again?'

'Jimmy you got to understand. this was a freak incident and I doubt this will ever happen again in our lifetimes.'

James: 'Are you and mom going to get a divorce?'

'No. Me and your mom love each other.'

James: 'That's the same thing Dennis's parents told him and look at them.'

'Were not them. That family is a freak show.'

*James pours the peroxide on my arm and it bubbles a lot.*

James: 'Me and Ash could probably handle it but I don't think Katie could. She thinks if anything happens to you or mom shes going in a group home.'

'Were not getting a divorce. The Russo family is going to come out of this stronger than ever. And you and Ash are gonna take care of her when we can't.'

James: 'Ok dad'

*James helps me wrap my arm.*

James: 'After dinner do you want to play X-box with me?'

'Its a school night. You know how your mom feels about that. But I think we can work something out.'

Steph: 'Dinner will be ready in 10!'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 4 weeks later...

*I screw the cap back on the bottle of peroxide and place it back into the medicine cabinet closing the medicine cabinet door I look at my arm in the mirror. The wound seems to be healing as it should from what should be the last surgery. I begin wrapping my arm and find that I don't have the dexterity to wrap it. I pop my head into the hall and see Katie sitting in the living room on her iPad.*

'Katie can you help me with this. Katie? Kate!'

*She has her headphones on so I doubt she can hear me. I walk over and wave my hand in front of the screen as I do it startles her.*

Katie: 'Why did you do that! I'm trying to watch this video about enzymology.'

'I've been calling you for the past few minutes. I need your help. Can you wrap this?'

*She groans and gets up and takes th*

'Just wrap it over the stiches.'

Katie: 'You know there's some thread sticking out.'

'Yeah its fine.'

Katie: 'Its bothering me.'

'Don't worry about it I have to go Thursday to get them out anyway.'

Katie: 'I can fix it!'

'No just wrap it.'

Katie: 'I saw a video on youtube I know how to fix it!'

*She says as she drops the gauze and starts trying to grab the piece of suture.*

'Katie its fine.'

Katie: 'But I saw the video!'

*I hold my hand over the wound.*

'Your not a doctor, you never were a doctor and never will be a doctor. Now help me wrap this'

Katie: 'Your not supposed to tell me I can't be a doctor. Your supposed to tell me I can do anything I want!'

'Ok Katie you can do anything you want, But right now you can't rip out my sutures.'

Katie: 'But I want to show you I can do it.'

*She says kind of exasperated, I hear the door open as Katie begins to start to rant, This is the beginning of a meltdown for her.*

'If and when you go to med school . But how about this, You can show me the video later, Do you want to go back to you iPad?'

Katie: 'Yeah'

*Katie says holding back tears as she begins to go back to the couch. Ashley walks into the kitchen and puts her bag down.*

'Ashley can you help me with this?'

*Ashley walks over.*

'Katie couldn't do it? wonder what else she can't do.'

Katie: 'Dad said I can do anything I want!'

*Katie yells as I walk into the bathroom with Ashley.*

Ashley: 'She has not been taking this well.'

'I know, Don't tell her I told you this but she is really afraid of you and mom dying. She thinks that means that she's going to end up in a group home.'

'James said something similar.'

Ashley: 'I don't know how well she's going to take you going back.'

'Neither do I. I go back in another week.'

*I say with a smile.*

Ashley: 'You know Katie's not the only one worried.'

'I know, but I need to go back. it's all I know. Plus I work a desk job this was just a freak incident.'

Ashley: 'I know.'

'Before I go back I need to requalify. I have no idea how that will play out.'

Ashley: 'Requalify?'

'Some range time. The department is making me do it because my dominant arm got injured. Standard procedure.'

Ashley: 'Are you nervous?'

'A little. I never failed before but then again I also never got shot.'

Ashley: 'Talk to Ricky. He's kind of a gun guy. He said he was going to take me shooting but has been busy, and he also got shot like you did. You two are more alike than you want to admit'

*I groan.*

Ashley: 'Dad on percs was a lot more accepting of my boyfriend.'

'Dad on percs was a lot more relaxed.'

Ashley: 'I'll call him and set up something. It will be good for you and him to bond.'

*She says as she finishes wrapping my arm.*

Ashley: 'Also spend some time with Katie, She is really afraid of losing you. She is terrified of the whole grouphome thing too.'

*I nod.*

'I have no idea where she got that idea from.'

Ashley: 'I think she saw something online and then told James and he's just a dick.'

'Yeah he kind of is but most boys his are are dicks too.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 2 months later...

*The sun is beating down on the back yard, School is out so the kids are home and I am behind the grill, turning off the burners to the grill after I take the last Bratwurst off the grill.*

'Brats are done!'

*I yell to Katie and James who are in the pool. When they hear this they get out and start making their way to the table. I set the tray of brats down next to the rolls and some sweet mustard. Steph comes outside with a bowl of potato salad*

'Where's your sister?'

Katie: 'She's upstairs.'

'A little fucking rude to not come to dinner.'

Steph: 'Zach, she's an adult. She can do whatever she wants.'

'Yeah but I put a roof over her head and food in her mouth. The least she should do is show some fucking respect.'

Steph: 'You were just as bad when you were her age if not worse. You didn't talk to your dad for years!'

'That was over me not wanting to be an electrician, She's just being disrespectful now.'

*I make a plate for myself and sit down. Everyone else does the same. After I take a few bites Ashley comes down.*

'Where the fuck have you been?'

Steph: 'Zach! I think you father meant to ask why didn't you join us when dinner was ready?'

Ashley: 'Oh I was on the phone with Ricky.'

'So your too busy talking to your boyfriend to join us for family dinner'

Steph: 'Zach...'

'No I want her to tell me she's too busy to spend time with her family. Its not like we put a roof over her head or pay for her to go to school. God forbid I spend some time with my daughter.'

Ashley: 'Oh so now you want to complain about me not being around! After 20 years of you not being around now you get upset when I want to be an adult!'

'I'm upset when you don't want to show some respect and show up to dinner on time!'

Ashley: 'How many times were you late to come home to dinner? How many of my gymnastics competitions did you miss because you had to be somewhere for work! What about the time I fell off the deck railing and broke my leg! You showed up 3 hours later and had to leave after 5 minutes because you got a call.'

'When you went to the hospital one of my traffic guys were escorting your mother! And I had to go to a fatal accident when I got called away.'

*Steph nods*

Ashley: 'What does that even mean? You weren't there! Sending one of your cops by proxy doesn't count!'

'It means I tried to be there!'

Ashley: 'That doesn't count. You were never there for me but you were always there for Katie and James!'

'You know I was in a better place in my career when they were born.'

Ashley: 'What's that supposed to mean? I'm an accident?'

'No it means I was busting my ass doing 20 hours of overtime a week to make sure you had the best you could have! Look at this house do you think it could have happened if I wasn't working as hard as I did! I worked my ass off for years before I got promoted to a rank with some sort of semblance to normal hours. Do you think I liked having to for work at 7 at night? Do you think I wanted to leave you in the hospital. No I fucking didn't'

Ashley: 'You had the choice'

'What choice?'

Ashley: 'You didn't have to be a cop.'

'Didn't have to be a cop? What other job could someone without a college degree get that would allow me to provide for you as much as I do. Tell me...'

Ashley: 'Fuck you!'

'Fuck me? How about your out of this house and I'm not paying for college anymore. How's that for fuck me.'

Ashley: 'Fuck you dad I'm going to Ricky's'

*Ashley walks back inside and slams the door. I can hear her car door slam before she drives off. Looking at the rest of the family. Katie is starting to have a meltdown and James is sobbing.*

James: 'Is Ashley really kicked out?'

'If she doesn't start showing respect than yeah she is.'

Steph: 'Your father isn't serious he's just mad.'

*Steph leans in and whispers in my ear.*

Steph: 'Go to the garage and calm down. Now. I'll handle the kids but you go and cool off.'

*I walk off to the garage as Steph starts tending to the kids.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 1 month later...

*Positioning myself in the corner of the sectional couch in my den with a cold beer. I see a commercial for back to school sales.*

'Back to fucking school. Summer didn't even start yet. God forbid I spend some time with my fucking family!'

*Stephanie walks in as I loudly complain*

Stephanie: 'What are you on about?'

'We did nothing this summer. Nothing as a family and there already advertising back to school!'

Stephanie: 'And?'

'How many times did I get to have fun with the family or even go in the fucking pool'

Stephanie: 'Honestly, not many.'

'I got shot earlier this year, Maybe just maybe we should try and do something to celebrate. Or just try and be together!'

*Stephanie makes a grimacing noise.*

'What's that supposed to mean'

Stephanie: 'You almost died and your afraid of life passing you by, It doesn't help that Ashley is spending a lot of her time at Ricky's. Its almost time to look at college for Katie and James will be in high before you know it.'

'Saying it out loud only made it more real.'

*I say as I sink lower into my seat.*

Stephanie: 'I think we need a family vacation.'

'Yeah, spend 10 grand to spend a week at Disney.'

Stephanie: 'Not not like that'

*Steph sits down next to me and starts massaging my shoulders.*

'Remember we used to go up to to Baldwin and rent that house by the lake.'

Stephanie: 'Maybe we can find an Air Bnb up there and take the whole family. I can't remember the last time I saw you fish.'

*I smile and look at her.*

'Remember I taught Ashley to fish?'

Stephanie: 'I still have that picture on my computer.'

'I think It's James and Katie's turn.'

Stephanie: 'Could you imagine Katie with something slimy?'

'Its part of the fun.'

Stephanie: 'So before we look I think there's going to be an elephant in the room.'

*I sigh.*

'What? You just got me looking forward to something and now what?'

Stephanie: 'I think we should invite Ricky.'

'Really? Ricky?'

Stephanie: 'Yeah, Potential son in law Ricky. It would go a long way with Ashley and he's trying to get you to like him.'

'Alright. You invite him and I can pull some strings to get him some days off.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 7 months later...

*Sitting the living room with Steph her phone buzzes. Steph reads her text aloud*

Steph 'Is dad home? I need to talk in private'

'Who's asking?'

Steph: 'Your daughter?'

'I have two can you specify?'

Steph: 'We have two daughters. The one that won't tell you that what she had for breakfast and the one that announces that she's on her period. Who do you think wants to talk in private. I'm going to see what's wrong.'

'Tell her if she's pregnant I think there's a coat hanger in the laundry room.'

Steph: 'Stop being horrible.'

'Or I can give her directions to the south river women's shelter.'

Steph: 'Zach, Stop. I doubt its that. I know you know she's not that type of girl.'

'I know.'

*Steph gets up to talk to Ashley. A few minutes pass and I hear sobbing as a door shuts.*

'And?'

Steph: 'And, im running to CVS. I'll be back.'

*As Steph runs out the door. I pull out my phone and text Steph a photo of a coat hanger and a question mark. She quickly texts back*

Steph: 'Not the time.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109