KVFR Chief Mathers Fights What We Fear - And Loses

As you may have seen in our Breaking News sections, Kimberly’s last lumber mill has been lost to a raging fire. Rumors report that this is due entirely to the incompetence, inability to perform, and pure inadequacy of KVFR Chief Mathews. A statement released by the Emergency Response Team Communications Center follows:

“An automatic fire alarm was activated and the ERT was notified at 10:14. Kimberley Volunteer Fire was dispatched at the same time. First units arrived on scene at 10:21 and reported a minor fire, no additional needed. KVFR responded with Engine, Rescue, Tanker, Chief 1 and 2, as well as Utility 1 and 2. 

At 13:56 a call for commercial structure fire was made, and ERT activated Shiloh County Fire Department for response. Tanker task force was sent, as well as engines from 3 stations. At 14:02 a Mayday was called from incident command for two firefighters. ERT activated additional EMS units at this time, as well as resources from county emergency management. 

At 14:38, ERT assumed command of the incident and maintained command until an all clear had been issued and response was scaled back at 01:41. Units are still on scene right now, working on hotspots and overhaul.”

KVFR was on scene for THREE HOURS before they requested assistance from the Shiloh County Fire Department. Surely they knew that they were unable to contain the fire long before that point? Surely Chief Mathers knew that his volunteers would be unable to successfully control the raging inferno?

Rumors abound concerning the fire. I have heard reports that a Kimberly firefighter was killed, that Kimberly VFR lost a firetruck to the blaze, that an unnamed SCFD firefighter and Chief Mathers got into a fistfight on scene, and that KVFR is being investigated by the state for unsafe work practices. The Commissioner of the ERT was reached out to for comment, and was unable to confirm most of the rumors. His statement follows below:

“Hi Sean,

At this time, I cannot release any information regarding the rumours of a line of duty death. As per protocol, in the event of a line of duty death, the family must first be notified, and then the department of the deceased will issue a media release notifying all agencies of a line of duty death. I can confirm that there were two firefighters who sustained injuries, and were transported to the hospital. 

I can confirm that I was on scene of the fire, and I did assume command of the scene upon arrival. It is practice for the ERT to be the commanding agency and coordinate with mutual aid responses like this. I've attached the county mutual aid policy brief, including the policy statement of a joint command team. Upon arrival, I assumed incident command, with Kimberley and Shiloh County Fire departments sharing management roles.

As with all fires, there will be an investigation. The ERT cannot confirm any active investigations that may or may not be in progress. Saratoga OHS responded as this was considered a workplace incident for the injured firefighters and are investigating as per the Workplace Safety Act. 

The ERT maintains its commitment to ensure all citizens of Shiloh County have the best emergency services possible. We will continue to work towards this goal on a daily basis. "

So, all the ERT can confirm is that ERT management responded to the scene and that Kimberly VFR is undergoing a routine workplace injury investigation. A source inside Kimberly Volunteer Fire-Rescue has informed me that one of the two transported firefighters has died as a direct result of injuries sustained in the blaze. Chief Mathers, his blood is on your hands. This brave volunteer died because of your poor leadership, your inadequacy in command, and your unwillingness to play nice with the ERT. That family has a wrongful death lawsuit if I’ve ever seen one, and I can only hope that the Shiloh County Sheriff’s Department will file charges for criminal negligence over the handling of this affair. Hundreds of people in Kimberly are now without jobs, all thanks to Chief Mathers himself. He should be ashamed to continue to call himself a fireman.

SCFD has previously absorbed numerous departments in the area, citing cost-sharing, increased oversight, sharing staff, and other factors. Perhaps it is time that KVFR be brought into the fold. Clearly, Chief Mathers is not capable of leading the department. Surely the men and women of SCFD can correct this horrific mismanagement and bring a professional fire service to the town of Kimberly. Chief Mathers was contacted and asked for comments, but related that he was unable to provide any comments at this time due to an ongoing investigation. The town of Kimberly was also reached out to and asked for comments on the misperformance of KVFR but declined to comment, also citing an active investigation, referencing both Saratoga OHS and an internal investigation by the town.

One thing remains clear here: Chief Mathers is no longer capable - if he ever truly was capable - of leading Kimberly Fire-Rescue. It may be time for a new chief, but this reporter thinks it is time for the sun to set on Kimberly Volunteer Fire-Rescue and for Shiloh County to step in. County taxpayers are being put in danger by the presence of this amateur fire chief, and it’s time for professionals to come to town.

Sean Franklin