Essex Fish and Game Sportsman Club

Blackburn

IMG_2288.jpg.41b7069961efe0a5494affa1e69d2f5c.jpg

Located on Mountain Side Drive in Essex.  The Fish and Game Sportsman Club holds roughly 10 acres of land and features 2 skeet shooting ranges, 1 trap shooting ranges, 3 rifle ranges, 1 archery ranges, and an indoor shooting range for handguns.  Membership to the club is a $150 initiation fee and a $100 annual fee after that.  There is a 25% discount on fees for seniors, military veterans, and first responders.  Club will provide target sheets for members upon sign in for use of each range.

SportsClub.thumb.png.eaa8845df329917a84120f9cac43628d.png

• 1 month later...

*Having parked my SS in the parking lot I grab my backpack from the passenger seat and get out of the car in a nice black off shoulder sweater, blue jeans, and white sneakers.  Slinging the backpack over my shoulder I shut the car door and readjust my UMaine cap on my head as I head on over to the main building.  It's only been a couple hours since my mother woke me up with a phone call to wish me a happy birthday so I yawn a bit as I enter through the open door.   As I head on over to the front desk I see that it's George who is handling the sign ins today.  Crap.  George is a nice elderly gentleman in his mid 60s but he has an issue of staring at my chest every time I come here.  He doesn't seem to notice I'm here as he plays through his game of solitaire.*

'Good morning George'

*A bit startled the elderly man looks up from his game.'

'Evelyn, good morning, archery or shooting today?'

'Shooting, brought my pistol and my revolver so I'll be using the indoor range downstairs'

'Alright, well, sign yourself in, how many sheets do you want?'

*As George reaches for some target sheets I sign myself in.*

'Let's start off with four and I'll come back for more if needed'

'Sure, sure'

'Thank you'

*As he hands me the target sheets I take them and make my way downstairs trying to ignore the fact that he didn't look me in the eyes even once.  The indoor range is empty this morning so I walk up to lane 3 and settle myself in there as I set my backpack and target sheets down.  Opening up my backpack I pull out both my Taurus 605 and Walthers P99 in their cases as well as some headphones.  Placing both cases down on the lane's bench I pull out the boxes of ammo I brought with me.  Picking out a target sheet I place it on the target hanger and send it down the lane.  With that set I pull out my Taurus 605 from it's case and open up a box of .357 ammo.  Putting the headphones over my ears I start inserting the ammo into the revolver's cylinder.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1504

• 10 months later...

*Throwing my head back against the headrest of my expedition waiting for Ricky to meet me. I showed up early as I had nothing better to do. I don't like the idea of someone half my age teaching me how to do something I've been doing longer than I've been alive but there's not much I can do about that. There's a light rain falling and I have the radio on the alternative rock station. Jumper by third eye blind is playing. I see Ricky's bright blue challenger pull into the parking lot and park next to my truck. I'm letting him come to me. Power move.*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

I pull into the parking lot, Lil Nas X bumping on the subs. I pull up next to Russo and turn the car off, then pop the trunk. I step out and grab the pistol case and rifle case from my trunk, then walk up next to the Expedition's window and nod at the Captain before walking on towards the door. He'd have to catch up.

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*Ricky parks next to me blasting some obnoxious rap. He gives me a nod as I grab the case with the smith from the passenger seat. When I look up hes halfway to the door of the range. I get out.*

'Yo, you realize I got shot last month and your fuckin running. You want to give me some time to grab my shit!'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I grin to myself before turning to look back at Russo.

"Running? No sir, this isn't running. I thought you could keep up with the young crowd, Captain?"

He'd hate that needle, and I knew it. He liked to brag that he was just as good a cop as any other on the force, but the fact of the matter was that Zachary Russo was a desk jockey. He wasn't a street cop. He wasn't out in the trenches doing the dirty work anymore. He had gotten soft. And I planned on letting him know that at least a little bit.

"Did you bring your walker, too?"

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

"Running? No sir, this isn't running. I thought you could keep up with the young crowd, Captain?"

"Did you bring your walker, too?"

'Im twice your age and I don't want to be here to begin with. You want me to tell Ashley your being an asshole'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I stop and turn, looking at Zach.

"Come on, I'm not being an ass. I thought you'd like a little friendly ribbing instead of me yes and no sir-ing my way around you. But if that's what you'd prefer, Captain Russo, we can act like we're at work. Either way, I'll lay off the ribbing."

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Look all I ask is you cut me some slack.'

*I say as I catch up.*

'Ive been through a lot this month including going cold turkey off easily the best pain meds ive ever had.'

*I say as I catch my breath.*

'Look I'm not going to act like were at work because Ashley's taking a liking to you and it would be in both of interests to get along or at least what Mrs. Russo thinks.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Alright, I'll cut you some slack. No more ribbing. I'll just kick your ass in this shooting competition we're gonna have.'

I grin and start walking back towards the door with him.

'I appreciate that, this would be a real drag if you wanted to act like we were at work.'

I hesitate a moment before looking over at Zachary.

'It's more than a liking, come on. You know I love her, right?'

I wasn't really sure that Zachary knew. This might be his first time hearing it. Better it happened now, before the guns came out.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Alright, I'll cut you some slack. No more ribbing. I'll just kick your ass in this shooting competition we're gonna have.'

*He looks back.*

'I appreciate that, this would be a real drag if you wanted to act like we were at work.'

'The hell you will. I've been shooting since before you were even a thought. Also I really don't want to bitch and moan about how your moving violations and arrests are the worst in the ops bureau.'

*I say with a laugh*

'It's more than a liking, come on. You know I love her, right?'

*My stomach dropped and I feel like the wind got knocked lout of me. I suspected this but it hits different when you actually hear it.*

'You know Love is a pretty big word'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'You know I make good collars. I'm a good cop and I know it.'

I glance over to him again and nod.

'Yeah, it is. I mean it, though. I love her. And she loves me.'

I stay quiet for a moment, letting him process the words.

'Probably could've picked a better place to drop this on you, but I figured somewhere you could get some immediate stress relief might be a good idea too.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Yeah, it is. I mean it, though. I love her. And she loves me.'

*He pauses.*

'Probably could've picked a better place to drop this on you, but I figured somewhere you could get some immediate stress relief might be a good idea too.'

'Not the worst idea. She not pregnant right? Is that something I should worry about.'

*Before he gets a chance to answer.*

'I'm assuming that's why you two set this up. 

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'No sir, she's not pregnant. Not that I know of, anyways. You don't need to worry about that.'

I walk out to the range, setting my cases on a bench.

'I mean, no. She set up because she thinks it's a good bonding activity. I'm just taking advantage of having a captive audience to talk to you for a bit. You're a little unapproachable sometimes, you know?'

I lean against the bench and look over at Zach, crossing my arms.

'I'm not just fucking around with her, I want you to know that. I really do love her.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'No sir, she's not pregnant. Not that I know of, anyways. You don't need to worry about that.'

'That's a relief.'

*I ask him about this being a setup as I put my case on the bench*

'I mean, no. She set up because she thinks it's a good bonding activity. I'm just taking advantage of having a captive audience to talk to you for a bit. You're a little unapproachable sometimes, you know?'

'I've been told that, However it tends to solve more problems than it causes. But I guess if it is getting serious I guess it would be in ours best interest to get to know each other.'

'I'm not just fucking around with her, I want you to know that. I really do love her.'

'I can respect that, And Ashley is growing up and its not the easiest to accept'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Yeah, I definitely think it's probably in our best interests to get to know each other.'

I nod in reply to him saying he can respect that.

'Yeah, I'm sure it's hard to watch your little girl grow up and start dating and getting serious.'

I turn back to my case and open it, starting to take out the Glock pistol.

'So how rusty are you feeling?'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Last time I took this out was last year for my last qualification'

*Gesturing to my Sig duty weapon on my hip.*

'These however I still need to requalify on because of the injury. Because you and Ashley have gotten serious I thought I would share these with you.'

*I open the case and reveal my Smith Model 64 and my off duty chiefs special.*

'These are still on my file at the department. So I still have to requalify. The model 64 was issued to me in the academy. I carried it for years. The department ended up going with Berettas in the mid 90s and I was issued one but I held onto this because they were crap.'

*I say under my breath.*

'This gun has bodies on it. I used it during my first shooting back in the early 2000s'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I nod and lay the Glock 19 on the bench, setting out magazines next to it.

'Qualify with all three? Alright.'

I listen carefully as Russo tells me why he has to qualify on all three. I nod as he quietly says that his Model 64 has bodies on it.

'Yeah, I gotcha. Special meaning for you, I get it. So, show me what you got. Weapon of choice.'

I slip on some ear and eye pro and watch as Zach faces down range.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I think its one revolver one semi. The off duty just came along for the ride.'

*I grab my eye and ear protection and put them on and set the target for 7 yards I pull my sig from the pancake holster on my belt. I take the weaver stance I fire off a few rounds. I find I can't control the recoil as I used to.*

'See thats the issue.'

*I say as I turn around*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I cross my arms and watch as the captain pulls out his duty Sig. I watch as he fires, unable to keep a group like he used to.

'Hmm, yeah. Shoulder shot probably gave you some muscle problems there. Your doc give you physical therapy?'

I think for a moment before nodding.

'Ever hear of the Chapman stance? Or modified Weaver? Same thing, different names.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Hmm, yeah. Shoulder shot probably gave you some muscle problems there. Your doc give you physical therapy?'

'Yeah I'm still going. Not progressing as fast as I want but they say its normal'

'Ever hear of the Chapman stance? Or modified Weaver? Same thing, different names.'

'They may have started teach that after I went through, You know the admin requalifiers are different and they really don't teach us anything new. Just the basic shit so we can still carry.'

*I may be exaggerating a bit but I do know they simplify it for the old timers, I guess that includes me now.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Yeah, they teach it to us along with Weaver and isosceles. Just another stance, with a little better recoil control. It looks like this.'

I draw my Glock and assume the stance, the only major difference from Weaver being that my strong arm is locked straight, not bent at the elbow. I fire off a few shots downrange, nailing a grouping.

'See? Better recoil control than Weaver. It lets your skeleton absorb more of it instead of your musculature.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943