Backyard Fire Injury

A. Tai

SQUAD, MEDIC, MEDICAL CALL, 48 N13th ST, NEAR COURT AVE.BACKYARD FIRE INJURY. RP STATES HUSBAND FELL INTO FIRE PIT WITH PIG, CAUGHT FIRE, BURNS TO LEFT SIDE OF BODY.
Time Out: 11:32 Weather: Misty Rain

"911 where is your emergency?"

"MY HUSBAND IS ON FIRE!"

"Okay ma'am, what is the address?"

"48 North 13th! Send help now!"

"I'm sending units right now, what happened?"

"We were having a pig roast and he just fell in, he caught fire and didn't stop drop and roll!"

"Is he conscious?"

"Yes, he's in so much pain, he's screaming. I had to go inside, I couldn't bear to handle it."

"Okay, is there anyone with him?"

"His friends, they're helping him."

"Okay, don't remove any clothing, it'll just make it worse, we've got an ambulance only a few minutes away."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

"SQUAD, MEDIC, MEDICAL CALL, 48 North 13th Avenue."

*Well, that didn't take long. Our first July 4th idiot. Five bucks says fireworks, I think to myself. As I head to the bay, I open the door before getting in the cab and turning on the engine. I step out to put on my bunker pants, because something tells me there's fireworks involved, and I'm gonna be outside. I throw my jacket in the back seat, and get back in front, turning on the lights as the lieutenant gets in.*

'What do you think boss, without cheating and looking at the CAD, what's our call? Fireworks? Or just an idiot?'

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

*I hop into the backseat, choosing to leave my bunker pants on. If I needed to, I'd throw on my brush coat and kick it LA style, but I doubted I'd even need that. I pick up the radio mic as Noel pulls us out of the bay.*

"Squad 1 responding."

*I put the mic back down and look over to her.*

'I bet it's either fireworks or cooking.'

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

'I mean, part of me hopes that it's both.'

*As Stone radios us en route, I turn on the siren and pull into traffic. Fairly light traffic, given everyone is out drinking, means I don't have much manoeuvring to do.*

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*I grumble about the lieutenant not taking the call as I walk out of the station and into the bay, climbing into the cab of the ambulance. I press the responding button on the MDT and crank the truck up as I wait for Erika.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2008

*As I pull up on the scene, I see a desperate looking woman shouting and waving to us. I guess this is the right address. I turn off the siren and pull to the side of the road. As the lieutenant radios us on scene, I put the squad in park and step out, walking around the back of the unit.*

'HELP! HELP! He's really hurt bad!' The frantic woman shouts.

'We're here now, we're just going to get our gear and take a look. Tell me where he is.'

'He's inside, just by the front door. He's on the couch, can't you hear him screaming?'

*As I walk to the compartment and grab the medic bag, I let out a barely audible sigh. I can hear him yelling, yes, but all I know is that he's inside.*

'Yes, what happened?'

'He fell in the fire! It wouldn't go out. His pants just kept burning!'

'Okay, show us where he is.'

*I turn my head to look at the lieutenant, as we both head towards the front door of the house to size up the man. I give a little nod to him, waiting to see what the plan is.*

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*Hearing the call go out I toss my cigarette away and rush to the truck.  As I get in the driver's seat I see a pissy Murdoch in the passenger's seat.  Well fuck, this call just got annoying.  Flipping on the lights and sirens I drive us out of the bay and towards the scene.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*When we get in the house, there's a small crowd around the living room.*

'Okay, fire department, please move back. I'm a paramedic.'

*My words seem to part them like I said I'm a wizard. They move and show their buddy, a 40-something man, red faced, in obvious distress and badly burned legs, with pants half removed. Jesus christ, burn first aid 101, don't take the clothing off. I'd say, that's at least a second degree, if not third. The smell of burnt human fills the room, drowned out only by his screaming.*

'Alright, What's your name? I'm Jennifer, can you tell me what happened?'

*He shakes his head, crying and screaming. He's in too much pain to really talk. I get it, he's pretty well done.*

'Lieutenant, I think he needs some painkillers, now.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*We arrive on scene a couple seconds behind Squad 1.  As I pull to a stop behind the squad I hop out of the truck taking the jumpbag with me.  Murdoch can call us arriving, he likes doing that.  Heading around to the back of the M1 I pull out the stretcher and figure out what else we'll need.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*The sirens blip as a second unit pulls up. I look out the window and see the top of a white box. That's our ambulance.*

'Alright, stay with me, there's more paramedics from the ambulance here now, we're going to get you looked after.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*As we pull up to the house, I mark us on scene and step out of the truck. As Noel grabs the medic bag and drug kit, I grab our monitor and oxygen tank. I can already hear the guy screaming. This was not going to be good.*

'Fuck, this doesn't sound good,' *I mutter under my breath as we walk up.*

*Getting into the house, I take a quick look over the man. Both legs and feet, appear to be circumferential. Pelvis and bottom of abdomen. Hands, some scattered forearm burns. Figure probably 45 percent or so. Very much not good.*

'Lieutenant, I think he needs some painkillers, now.'

'Absolutely. Get me a set of vitals.'

*I take another glance at his forearms and quickly decide against going for an IV. Wasn't worth the time, in my opinion. I take out the EZ-IO kit and take out the drill and a needle, assembling it quickly. I get out the iodine swab and quickly start to clean his upper arm.*

'Hey sir, I'm Lieutenant Stone with the fire department. I'm going to start what's called an IO. It allows me to give you medication through the bone in your upper arm. It's going to feel a little uncomfortable at first, but I'm going to give you pain meds.'

*I take the drill and insert the needle into the flesh of his upper arm, then squeeze the trigger as I drill into his humeral head. I disconnect the drill from the IO needle and unscrew it, leaving the catheter in place. I aspirate bone marrow to ensure I have it placed and then flush it with lidocaine. I attach the stabilizer and an INT to the drill. As Noel mentions the ambulance pulling up, I glance towards the door.*

'Outstanding. Let's get him packaged and get out of here.'

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

*I mark us on scene on the MDT and hop out, walking around to the back with the Swede.*

'Just the stretcher. They've got their kits inside. We need to get him in the truck, anyways.'

*I help her with the stretcher, getting it up to the house. As we go in, I grimace at the sight of the man's burns. Nasty. I listen as the lieutenant starts giving me report on the patient.*

'Alright, let's get him on the stretcher so we can get headed to County Medical.'

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

*Just the stretcher, got it.  As we wheel the stretcher to the back yard the smell of burnt flesh gets stronger.  Yeah, I guess I'll avoid having chicken tonight or this week.  Hearing Murdoch say let's get him on the stretcher I nod and lower the stretcher so we can get him on it easier.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

'In here!'

*Like the smell didn't lead them anyways.*

'He's gonna need something to help with the pain. Otherwise, he looks as stable as can be, and should be good to get into burns right away.' *I look at the crusty old fucker.* ' You have your drug bag with you?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*I put the drill aside and take the small narcs pouch out of the medical bag, taking out a vial of Fentanyl and starting to draw up 100mcg.*

'Alright buddy, I'm gonna give you some pain medication, it's fentanyl. This is a starting dose to see how it effects you, we'll get you more in the ambulance, okay?'

*The patient groans in response, and I attach the syringe to the INT and flush in the fentanyl, then chase it down with saline. I disconnect the syringe and start moving our bags out of the way of the stretcher.*

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

*I eye the lumberjack before motioning to the other fireman.*

'Your lieutenant is way ahead of you there, hose jockey. Pay attention to your scene. Come on, let's get him on the stretcher.'

*I do my best to avoid the burned parts of the patient as we get him moved over to the stretcher and cover him with burn sheets before buckling him up and raising the gurney, starting to head to the truck.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

*After the others get the patient on the stretcher I raise it up and help wheel it over to the back with the others.  Murdoch and one of the firefighters get in the back so I decide to go to the driver's seat to avoid a crowded situation back there.  As I hop back up into the seat and close the door behind me I await word that we can get going.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*As the rude paramedic sizes me up, I think, this is why I am more into his partner's type, and not him. Men.*

'Alright, Lieutenant, you ready to go? I think the medics have everything under control here.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*We get the patient moved over to the stretcher, and I help Erika and Murdoch get him out to the truck. I load him in and as Murdoch climbs in, ask him if he needs anything else from us. He shakes his head and starts setting up a bag of fluids as I close the doors.*

'Alright, let's head out.'

*I head back to the squad and slip into the passenger seat, picking up the radio mic.*

"Squad 1 is clear of North 13th, we'll be back in service and en route to quarters."

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

*As the lieutenant asks if I need anything else, I shake my head. This call wasn't very complicated, not from here on out. We had the main things done. We had access, he was packaged and loaded with pain meds on board. Not really a use for any other hands right now.*

'We're good to go Erika. County, emergent.'

*I start hooking up a bag of fluid to the IO, letting it run wide open. The Fentanyl seemed to have brought his pain down pretty well, as he wasn't screaming any more. Transport now was really just going to be watching him while we go. I start hooking him up to the monitor as we pull away from the scene.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008