Flashing Taxi

C. Aylward

*I'm sitting in my chair watching over the comms center. Looking over at Big Jim I see he has a snack. Not shocking but looking closer I see its an In and Out burger. I am shocked since were on the other side of the country. After doing some light googling I see the nearest location is over 2000 miles away but this example looks like it was just made. I hate Jim but am impressed with his ability to get food, I may ask him how he got it later on. Looking at him eat this burger in awe my eye catches the monitor and I see the call queues start to get busy and a 911 call rolls over to me. Refocusing my attention to the call taking screen I answer the call*

"911 wheres your emergency"

RP: South 15th and Ryan

Whats the emergency?

RP: Theres a cab with the flashing yellow light on!

Alright, what kind if cab is it?

RP: Its a county cab. Red and white

Do you know what direction its headed?

RP: Towards the river

Can you see how many people are in the car?

RP: 2

Ok, I'm sending police

*SCSD Radio*

'In south Fort Shannon I have a taxi with a hostage light on. County cabs unknown number heading North on Ryan'

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*After rolling out of the station this new girl is quiet. Not asking questions or telling me much about her*

"In south Fort Shannon I have a taxi with a hostage light on. County cabs unknown number heading North on Ryan"

*Heading south I hear the call go over. As we pass the broad st bridge.*

"216 we'll handle the cab call."

'9 times out of 10 these are bullshit. They mount the switch under the dash by the door and these idiot cabbies hit them accidentally. If and when we find them were going to do a felony stop, pull everyone out and go from there. Questions?'

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1316

*Heading south on Ryan, I hear the call come through and figure I'll have to take it.*

"ERT, 215, show me code 2 to that cab call. I'm on Ryan headed south."

*I open the MDT and click into the call info, not much in the way of notes. I wonder, has anyone contacted the cab company for a status from the driver?*

"ERT, 215, do we have any information from the cab company on this one?"

*While ERT makes the call to to the taxi, I start watching for the red taxi rolling up.*

"216, 215, what's your location?"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*I hear the call for the taxi cab, then hear Caldwell say we're gonna take it. He then gives an explanation of what to expect. I nod to him after he explains*

'Felony stop. Got it....We pull them out one at a time right?'

*I assumed the answer to be yes, but I want to make sure before we reach the cab. I hear another unit attach to the call as well.*

sd216dep.png

Probationary Deputy Ellie Herz
Unit 216

Badge 2034

"216, 215, I'm about two blocks behind you, I'll catch up shortly."

*With that, I toggle my light switch, moving around traffic and nudging up a little until I can see the rear of 216. I flick my lights off and join pace.*

"216, just spoke with the taxi company, advised that driver will be continuing north, final destination is City Hall. No clarification on situation with the light."

"10-4 ERT. 215, keep an eye, this looks like the path."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*hearing all the radio traffic i pick up my mic and key up* 

“ ERT 252 Show me Responding from Ft Shannon North. 252 to Lead unit would you like me to set up for a Possible Road Block?” 

*i release my ptt and put my mic down and flip on my lights and start heading towards South Ft Shannon* 

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

"216, 215, I'm about two blocks behind you, I'll catch up shortly."

*I pick up the mic*

"10-4, When I catch up to him nice and easy were just going to light him up handle this calm."

“ERT 252 Show me Responding from Ft Shannon North. 252 to Lead unit would you like me to set up for a Possible Road Block?”

"Negative, fall in behind 215. For all we know this could be an accidental trip lets assess before we do a kneejerk reaction."

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

Negative fall in behind 215. For all we know this could be an accidental trip lets assess before we do a kneejerk reaction” 

*i pick up my mic and key up*. 

“Copy fall behind 215 ill have a 3 minute ETA”   

*i put down my mic again and start to speed up a little bit more to catch up with the other units* 

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

*I nod to Caldwell*

'Yeah I do. I'll follow your lead.'

*I look around at the surroundings, just taking in what we had to work with as Caldwell drives.*

sd216dep.png

Unit 216

Badge 2034

*while planning our operation, I figure with the wide turn, I'll be on the outside of lane. Just as I think that, 252 keys up.*

“215 which side do you wanna take sir?” 

*Sir. Okay. I look down, nope, still no stripes on my arms. I'll have to have a chat about that with him later. Did Traffic finally realize that SWAT was superior?*

"2-5-2, I'm going to go to outside of lane, repeat, outside lane. You can take inside of lane."

*With that, I spot a red taxi and sure enough, there's a flashing amber light on the grille. That's our guy.*

"ERT, 215, we've got eyes on the taxi, uuh, our current location is South 4th and Broad. 216 to take lead."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

2-5-2, I’m going to take the outside lane, repeat, outside lane. You take the inside of lane”  

*i key up my mic* 

“copy I’ll take the inside lane”. 

*i put my mic down as we come up on a red taxi and get ready for the take down waiting to move into position once 216 gives the word* 

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

*Seeing the other units fell in behind me I flip the lights on and tap the horn a few times. The other units come around me with their lights on. I flip the takedown lights on and adust the spotlight. As I put the car into park I swing the door open before the car comes to a stop.*

'Guns drawn'

*I say to new girl as I position myself between the door and door frame and draw my gun*

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

*As 216 activates its lights, I pull left, turning on my lights and blip the siren to yelp. The taxi stops almost immediately. As we all step out and draw firearms, I key my PA Mic.*

"Driver, turn off your vehicle."

*The exhaust stops after a second or two.*

"Driver, with both hands out the window, throw the keys on the ground and open the door from the outside with your right hand. Do not exit the vehicle."

*Clumsily, he complies.*

"Driver, step out of the vehicle, hands over your head. Face away from us."

*As he steps out, I can see he is shaking.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*pulling up on the right i put my car in park and unholster my taser* 

‘i got less Lethal’ 

*Wagner starts giving commands telling the driver to turn off the vehicle and step out... The driver complies and steps out of the vehicle shaking*  

‘hey wagner if you want ill go in for cuffs if you guys cover’ 

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

‘i got less Lethal’ 

*Turning to my probie.*

'When your on a felony stop. Dont be the tool with the taser. Rock out with your Glock out.'

*Keeping my gun trained on the rear window.*

'Since Wagner is contact, were going to have him call the people in the back seat out. We don't want to fuck up the flow. So stay put and stay quiet. Whoever's contact stays contact'

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

"Driver, keep walking back. Backwards, backwards, backwards."

*I unkey my mic and nod to Cadwell.*

'Your subject.'

*As he makes the move to take care of the driver, I call to the passenger.*

"Both passengers, hands out the windows, both hands."

*They stumble and decide to comply.*

"Male passenger, with your right hand, open the door and step out, facing away. Do not turn around. Step backwards 15 steps, slowly, hands above your head."

*As he comes up, Cadwell and his probie get in position.*

"Female passenger, with your left hand, open the door from the outside and step out, face away from the car."

*As she gets out, she faces us, looking at the other passenger and the driver, before looking back to us, her hands are not up.*

"TURN AROUND. TURN AROUND. TURN AWAY FROM US RIGHT NOW."

*She hesitates, still staring at us, like she did nothing wrong, and doesn't want to comply. Rule #1 when dealing with an armed individual, do what they say. For jesus' sake.*

'Hitting the rumbler.'

*With that, I reach in, flick the phaser and rumbler on the car, which while it is no acoustic weapon, is enough to make anyone uncomfortable. After two seconds, I key the PA Mic, cutting the siren.*

"ON THE GROUND, FACE DOWN RIGHT NOW. ON THE GROUND, FACE DOWN, RIGHT NOW. GET ON THE GROUND, OR WE'LL PUT YOU ON THE GROUND!"

*She debates, and when she sees us start to move, she drops, hands up. She's brave, but not that brave.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*as the Male Backs up towards us he hits the 15 steps and stops*

' Sir Get on your knees and cross your ankles"

*the male kneels and cross his ankles and i move up for cuffs only putting my taser away once i get on top of him pulling out my cuffs*

'Give your Right arm'

*the suspect places his right arm behind him and i place the cuff on him and repeat the process with his left*

'Ok sir stand up and come with me to the back of my cruiser'

*i help the dude up on to his feet and walk him back to my vehicle*

'Male is in cuffs you guys are clear to move on the female... Okay sir anything that's going to poke me stick me or piss me off in any other way'

'no no not that i remember'

'how do you not remember sir anyways i'm going to search you if you suddenly remember let me know before i find it'

*i start to pat down the subject and he pipes up again*

'I think i might have a small knife on me but i cant remember'

'okay sir'

*i keep searching finding his wallet and a switchblade and i place them on the roof of my car and place the subject in the back.. seeing Caldwell and his Probie coming back from cuffing the the Woman i call for caldwell to come over to my car*

'Hey Caldwell come here'

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

'What do you got?'

*i take the switchblade off the top of my cruiser and hand it to Caldwell*

'He had this on him... he said at first he couldn't remember if he did or not then he said he might have a small knife on him... i didnt find anything else other then his ID... do we want to question him more on this cause it was a hostage light situation?'

sd252dep.png

Deputy Tim Bradford
Unit 252

Badge 2028

*I Follow Caldwell's guidance as we stop the Taxi and cover the people with our guns as Wagner does the talking. I smirk slightly at the comment about not being the one with the taser. Probably not wrong though, wouldn't want to be the one having to hold the taser. Once we cuff our guy I walk over to Bradford with Caldwell.*

'How do you....not remember....'

*I sigh slightly, wondering if this was the start of a day of dealing with a lot of stupid people. I let Caldwell talk it out with Bradford about what to do next.*

sd216dep.png

Unit 216

Badge 2034