Welfare Check - Shot Fired

M. Price

((M1, at least 2 Sheriff Units, 322 N. 14th Street, Ft. Shannon))

(Time: 17:03, Weather: 22*F, slight wind, snowing)

*As the rest of the dispatchers debate on what to eat for lunch I take the next call.*

'911, where's your emergency'

'Well I'm at 323 N. 14th Street in Ft. Shannon'

'What's your emergency?'

'My neighbor over in 322.  Haven't seen him in awhile and all of a sudden I heard a gunshot coming from his house.  He lives alone and I'm worried because I just haven't seen him since his wife passed months ago.'

'Have you seen anyone around the house?'

'No, like I said I haven't even seen him in months.  With this snow he hasn't even come out to shovel.  There's no footprints in the snow either.'

'Alright, stay on the line as I send help.'

*Muting the line I call for some Sheriff Units and M1 to standby.*

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Seeing M1 mark themselves responding I show them responding on the computer.  Then I hear 201 respond.*

"Copy 201, showing you responding"

"220, How many calls are you getting for that shots fired?"

"County, 220, at least 3 other reports.  Only 1 shot, nothing since.  No one has reported any possible signs of anyone entering the house."

Morgan Price
Badge 1606

*Hearing a shots fired call over my portable, I press the mic, I might regret this but I respond.*

"ERT, this is 217, show us responding from station."

'Come on probie, we've got a call. You got a name? Oh, and learn to walk and talk.'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*I get into the truck, turn the key and pull out of the parking lot regular traffic. Once I'm into the flow, I turn on the lights and sirens and make my way to the scene. I go to ask my rookie something and realize I fucking forgot his name. Literally two minutes ago he told me and just, poof, it's gone.*

'Got a nickname? What did they call you in the academy?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Hearing the radio traffic that 201 is on scene.  I mean, the others must be coming from lunch or something. We're making good time. I'm guessing the 4x4 helps too.*

‘Oh, the academy? Yeah, I got a nickname. DD. For Damnit, Dave. I’d like to think I made a lasting impression.’ 

*Holy shit, I think I found a probie I might actually grow to like. No way. Too good to be true.*

'I like that. Works for me. Alright, listen, we're like a block, maybe two from the scene. 201 is there already, which is a taurus. Likely not gonna be running lights. This is a shots fired, who knows what it is. Could work out to be fireworks, could be a domestic, could be somewhere in between. He'll likely be parked, so when we get closer, I'm going to cut the lights and sirens, radio 201 and we're going to follow his lead in. What's the most important rule on a shots fired call you need to know?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*The Swede pulls us up about a block away and I kill the lights. I wasn't usually a stage kind of person but I was hoping for a cancel on this call.*

"Medic 1 staged."

*I open the door and step out, lighting up a cigarette while I wait to hear the traffic for us to go in.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2008

'Rule 2. Always know your EXACT location. Knowing where the suspect is, that's good, but if he gets a leg up on you, you need to know exactly where we are. Write this down, these are important rules.'

*I pull up and see the Taurus on the side of the road. I turn off my lights and pull up behind.*

"ERT, 217 has 201 in sight. 201, this is 217, how do you want to proceed, I'm just behind you."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Oh boy. Shotgun ready. I park behind 201, and undo my seatbelt in one motion.*

'Rule 4, Patience.'

"Got it 201. We're behind you."

*I don't know where he's getting the idea of an armed robbery, but he's been here longer than I have, maybe he saw forced entry or something that we didn't. Approaching the door, I rest my right hand on my pistol, but I don't unholster it. I look back to see if DD is following my lead or Rothwell's.*

'Okay, I don't see any forced entry. Anything that's leading you to think armed robbery?' I ask Rothwell.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Could be nothing as well, remember. You still want to go with that shotgun before I knock?'

*I size up the scene and find nothing too concerning visible. No broken windows, doors, no activity inside, nothing, it's eerily quiet actually. I'm just picturing nanny answering a door with a shotgun toting cop at the other end.*

"ERT, 217, confirming you had multiple reports for shots fired at my location?" (@Blackburn)

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"217, ERT, that is affirmative, I've had multiple reports for one shot fired at your location."

"Copy ERT, we're gonna check out the scene here. Confirming a single shot."

'Wouldn't be a good idea'

*I look over as the deputy goes to his car, shackles his rifle and makes his way back. While walking, DD speaks up.*

‘Everything seems to line up for a suicide attempt..’ 

'Rule 11, if it's said in public, it's a headline. Let's keep the talk down until we have hard reportable facts. The walls have ears here.'

*When Rothwell gets back to the base of the lawn, I bang on the door.*

'SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT!'

*Nothing.*

'Okay, let's do a 360, look in the windows, see if we can't see anything to give us reasonable grounds to enter. Rothwell, go clockwise, we'll go counter.' Turning to DD, I check his hands. 'Rule 8, Gloves, always.' Turning back, 'Actually, that goes for you too. Make sure to glove up.'

*I nod and we make our way around. I key the mic to update ERT.*

"ERT, 217, we've got no answer at this location, we're going to do a 360 check."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"217, ERT, Copy"

*With door dash now having arrived I now have a pepperoni pizza in my hand.  Does this turn my into Big Morgan?  Shit, all this time sitting near the guy and he's starting to rub off on me.*

Morgan Price
Badge 1606