Black Matter Coffee

Burke

*Doing a lap around the block and finding no parking, I opt to use my official vehicle status, and park in a slightly less than legal spot. Technically under the roadways act, I'm exempt from most parking regulations, but I still try not to violate them when I can. Now is a time I really don't want to delay. I get out of the car, and make my way towards the coffee shop. I walk in and order my usual, and spot the sheriff, in a clean and crisp grey suit already seated. I make my way over.*

'Good morning Stanley.' I say sitting to the table. Neither of us are dressed in uniform, and unless someone watched me walk from the bright yellow questionably parked SUV, or recognize us from the news, we're just two businessmen meeting for coffee.

'Will. How's things?'

'Well, from what I've heard, all bodies are at their modified duties. Big Jim, after the disaster scene at the headquarters has been cleared to return to work once they reopened the centre, your deputy has been assigned directly to him, of course, and from what I hear, they've both reported in. If he didn't have an alcohol problem before, he certainly will be thankful we've got him in AA now. He's gonna need a drink after today. I think DPW has the other deputy in place, and the dog man is now a desk man. I think we're going great today.'

'Good. This is the kind of shit that stops me from getting back into office, did you know that?'

'Yes, of course I did.'

'Not everyone can be appointed like some positions.'

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801