Russo Family Vacation

Z. Russo

Participants, Russo Family, Ricky O'Rielly 

Meet up point. Russo House 530 Am

Travel time 4 hours

Destination: Air BnB lake house in Baldwin (Upstate Saratoga)

image.png

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*BRRP BRRP BRRP BRRP*

*The alarm screams before I can silence it. I roll over to steph.*

'Got to get ready, What do you want to do about breakfast?'

Steph: 'Eat on the way. I have the cooler too.'

*I roll out of bed and walk into the bathroom. I take a quick hot shower and skip the shave. I'm on vacation! I get a Royal blue polo shirt and some Khaki dad shorts. I walk outside and see the Katie and James's bags at their doors. I take them down to the driveway so I can load them in my expedition. I flip the front lights on and hit the button to open the rear hatch to load them. I notice Ashley didn't put her stuff in. Regardless I put the kids stuff in and go back inside. Walking upstairs and start slamming on doors. *

'Wake up! Time to get dressed and ready to leave!'

*Ashley opens her door*

Ashley: 'What are you yelling about its 530 in the morning.'

'We want to beat traffic. I spent 2 grand on that air BnB for us. I want to get my moneys worth, So get dressed!'

*She groans*

'Whens Ricky getting here?'

Ashley: 'He's on his way.'

*She groans and slams the door as James makes his way to the bathroom.*

'Your stuff's in the Truck bud.  Hurry up!'

*Katie peeks out of her room.*

'Come on Katie, Your stuffs in the truck too, Do you have everything?'

Katie: 'Yeah, do you think we could go on a nature walk, There are certain species of reptiles that only live in that region. I asked mom but she said to ask you...'

'Lets see when we get up there. Right now I'm more concerned about everyone getting ready. Are you ready to go?'

Katie: 'Yeah.'

'Ok lets go downstairs then.'

*I walk downstairs to check on Steph in the Kitchen. She prepared a cooler of sandwiches and drinks.*

'How are we looking?'

Steph: 'Good. Just waiting on Ricky.'

'Awesome. Just make sure Ashley brings her bags down.'

'Ok.'

*I walk outside and lean on the hood of the truck to wait for Ricky*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

The alarm on my phone blares, and I groan as I roll over and slap the snooze button. I was never a fan of waking up this early. But for whatever reason Russo wanted to beat all the traffic and leave at the crack of dawn. Oh well, I was mostly just glad he had thought to invite me. I suspected it was more of Ashley and her mother, but I still appreciated the thought. I roll over and sit up, rubbing my eyes. My phone rings, and I see it's Ashley. Probably calling to make sure I'm awake. I answer it as I stand up and head for the shower. I get a quick shower and shave, then get dressed and grab my bags, heading down to the car. I throw them in the trunk and hop in, heading for the Russo's place.

I pull up a few minutes later, my headlights illuminating Captain Russo leaning on the hood of his truck. I park next to his truck and pop the trunk, turning off the car and stepping out.

"Morning sir. Thanks again for inviting me."

I walk around to the back of the car and pull out my bags so I can put them in his truck.

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1943

*Not exactly thrilled about Ricky coming but felt pressured by Steph and Ashley I see his headlights pull up my driveway. Ricky pulls up and gets out.*

"Morning sir. Thanks again for inviting me."

'Morning Ricky. Its great to have you come along. You ever been to Baldwin before?'

*Before Ricky could answer Ashley come to the porch.*

'Why are you putting your stuff in my Dad's truck? I thought we were taking your car?'

'I though we were riding up as a family, Because this is a family vacation!'

'I wanted to spend some time with him by ourselves.'

'Do whatever you want. I don't fucking care. Its not like I wanted to spend time with my family and spent thousands of dollars to go on vacation'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

As Ashley comes out, I groan internally. We did, in fact, have that conversation. One where I definitely told her that her dad would want us to ride with him. He was big on family, and this was a family vacation. I understood, and agreed. Family time was important. I turn to look at her as Russo says he doesn't care.

"I thought we agreed on riding with your Dad, Ashley. Like he said, it's a family vacation. We'll be okay riding with them. Maybe talking to your dad will do you both some good."

I knew the last line would probably land me in hot water with both of them, but oh well. It was definitely true. They all needed therapy or something. Surely all this fighting and dysfunction wasn't healthy. I finish putting my bags in Russo's truck.

"Your bags in your room? I'll grab them."

She nods and I head inside to grab her bags, leaving her alone with her Dad for a moment.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

"I thought we agreed on riding with your Dad, Ashley. Like he said, it's a family vacation. We'll be okay riding with them. Maybe talking to your dad will do you both some good."

*As Ricky runs up to her room. I begin to think about that thing he said. Who the fuck is he to judge me and my daughters relationship. Maybe I'm overthinking things but still. I don't like that.*

Ashley: 'Why does he want us to ride together?'

'Maybe he understands what the meaning of family trip means.'

Ashley: 'Are you going to keep quoting that meme the whole trip?'

'What meme?'

Ashley: 'I don't fucking know.'

'Hey, what did he mean by talking to your Dad may do you both some good?'

Ashley: 'I don't know but I didn't like it. I'm going to talk to him about it.'

'If your going to bring it up I won't,  I trust you on this.'

Ashley: 'You trust me? Never thought I would hear you say that.'

'Never thought I would say that.'

*Ricky comes down with Ashley's bags.*

'Such a gentleman.'

Ashley: 'I know Daddy Ricky's the best.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I come back down with the bags and put them in the truck. I glance between Ashley and Russo, wondering why they suddenly seem so agreeable. Just a minute ago they had been at each other's throat.

"So, we uh, about ready to head out? Or you need a hand with something else, sir?"

I look to Russo, waiting for his instruction. I was ready to get on the road. This trip sounded like it'd a good time, a family trip up to the lake. Should be a fun time.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

"So, we uh, about ready to head out? Or you need a hand with something else, sir?"

'Stop with the Sir shit, Im on vacation. But were good to go.'

* I get into the front seat and Steph gets into the passenger side. James and Katie get in the truck and make themselves comfortable in the third row as Ashley and Ricky hop in the middle row.*

'So I figure we could stop for breakfast once we get on the road for a bit. Have to beat traffic. However there is a great little diner just over the Oslo county line. Haven't been there in years. Steph you have the Air Bnb Reservation?'

Steph: 'Yep, give me your phone I'm going to put it in your GPS.'

*She puts it in and I see the travel time is about 4 hours. With the stop for breakfast we would probably be getting there around 11. I put the truck in gear and pull out of the driveway*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

The hours pass relatively easily, and before I know it we're pulling up at the AirBnB. As Zach parks the truck, I gently shake Ashley awake from her nap before sliding out of the truck. I let the seat down so Katie and James can crawl out, and I stretch as I look around the property.

"Looks really nice. Should be a lot of fun," I say, offering a smile to Zach and Stephanie. I grab Ashley's bags as well as my own and follow everyone inside.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

"Looks really nice. Should be a lot of fun,"

*Ricky takes the bags into the house as I grab mine and Steph's*

'I love it up here. I used to come up here all the time but I haven't been here in almost 10 years. Have you ever been up here before?' 

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'No, I've never been up here. Our family vacation was usually the beach.'

I go back and grab my bags and haul them in as well.

'Never been much of a beach guy though, honestly. So I'm excited to be up here.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I never liked the beach either. Too open, too many people and too loud.'

*I put me and Stephs bags into the master bedroom. As I walk out to the kitchen Steph shows me a note from the owner.*

Steph: 'The air Bnb guy left some fishing poles in the shed by the lake. He said we can use them. He mentioned a place where you can rent a boat down the road too'

*I look at Ricky*

'You like fishing? I was planning on taking James and Katie out to teach them how to. Just goes to show how long its been since Ive gone fishing'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 3 weeks later...

'Yeah, fishing's not too bad. I prefer catching, though.' I chuckle at the dumb joke, hoping Russo found it as funny as I did.

I look over to Ashley, seeing she is thoroughly unamused at my bad attempt of a joke. I grin at her and gesture towards the water.

'Come on, let's do some fishing.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943