EOC - Cyber Outage 2020

W. Burke

*I enter into the EOC, wearing jeans, a t-shirt and my badge on my belt. Sitting at the central desk is representatives from all the departments affected by the cyber attack. I nod to the familiar faces.*

"Thank you for coming in, I know we've been operating on a skeleton crew and it's been hard to get by since our servers went down during the massive outage. We've replaced our former IT department, but we'll need a bit of work to get back up and running. Captains Russo and Summers, I understand you're in the process of restoring your departments back to the live status. How's that coming along?"

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*Flipping through the next page of the department ops guide. Occasionally taking a forkful of my Chinese takeout I ordered for lunch a few hours earlier. I have been much to busy to stop and enjoy lunch,  I've been here all weekend re digitizing the ops guide and protocols. I haven't even opened the personnel files yet.*

'Its going boss, I just sent Andrew home since the guy should spend time with his family. He's been a great help.'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

"Good, glad to see that we're making headway. I'm hoping to have our patrols back online so we can track them soon. How's that coming along?"

*I sit down at the conference table, looking through my notes on the sheriff files.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*Looking at the AVL screen to the side of the monitor I'm using displaying a error message*

'Instead of saying nothing its saying error so I guess you could consider this progress. According to the tech guys the server is back up ish but everything needs to sync.'

*I get up and crack my back.*

'How about on your end? 911 systems are up and running as they should or are we still using the old backup?'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

"Well, I mean, 911 itself still works. We've been running the old patch through system lately, but I think we'll be able to switch to the system by end of day today. I'm going to reach out to Goodricht after our meeting and confirm that we're good to take over dispatching calls again."

*I pop open my cell phone and text Henry to make sure he knows to confirm.*

"Karen, are your trucks ready to contact County Ops again? I'm hoping we'll be live again soon. I know last I heard you had the engine back up online. Think they'll be ready to respond any time soon?" 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I look up from the cluster of paperwork and computer screens in front of me as the commissioner asks for a status update.*

'Like Captain Russo said, we're getting there. I've been able to talk to the engine, but for lack of better words, it's not talking back. IT has informed me that they found the problem and are working on patching it now. I'll try to force a sync as soon as I get the go ahead from them. Once we have the engine live, they can replicate it from there and we should be able to get the whole county up pretty smoothly fairly quickly. With luck, it shouldn't be long now.'

FireCpt%20Generic.png

Captain Karen Summers
Unit Not Assigned

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1612