Shaved Ice dispute Call Number 20230802

C. Aylward

SHERIFF'S UNITS RESPOND TO A BUSINESS DISPUTE 643 Broad St, Fort Shannon. The caller is located at Papa Joes Bodega.

911, Wheres your emergency

643 Broad St. This Dominican Mother fucker keeps coming with his dirty push cart for shave ices and sells them in front of my store, The same week I decide to get an ice cream machine

Ok, Unfortunately, a business dispute is not an emergency we do live in the united states and people are allowed to compete with other businesses.

You don't understand he's dirty and unlicensed. I think he's Illegal too.

Ok, but this sounds like you should contact the Department of Health instead of 911. The only way we would respond is if he's blocking access to your business. Harassing you or something along those

Yes. He's doing that.

What's he doing?

He's putting his cart in front of my store and my customers think my store is dirty so they walk around him and he yells at me.

Ok, I'll send a a deputy over, We do have significant call volume so 

*Before I can finish*

I called them motherfucker, Your ass gonna get locked the fuck up!

Fuck you!

*SD radio.*

"I need 2 units to respond to 643 Broad. I have a business dispute between a bodega owner and a shaved ice cart owner. caller states the shave ice guy is Dominican. No further information"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*getting my assignment and after stopping at the armory to grab my patrol rifle,so i can requal on it before i go home today i move to 207 to do my checks and stow the rifle i do a rather hasty check of the car as the radio comes alive about  shaved ice and a bodega,i key up as i throw the car in drive* 'county from 207,put me on it responding from station* * i say into the radio of the car and when i get to the parking lot exit blast the sirens both as my siren and light test as well as a way to scatter traffic even though when out of view of the station,i opt for a slower non emergent response*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2024

*I was driving passed, seeing the commotion going on and hearing the call out on my radio, I'd find a spot to park and turn the car off, grabbing my radio* 

"201, Show me backing 207." 

*I'd clip my radio back onto its clip, and then take my seat belt off, walking over to the commotion* 

'Hi I'm Officer Diaz, what seems to be the problem here?'

sd201dep.png

Deputy Amber Diaz
Unit 201

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department 
Badge 2205

• Burke changed the title to Shaved Ice dispute Call Number 20230802

*suprised 201s on scene already,i unsure how exactly shes backing me as im just rolling up now,parking behind her unit i key up* "207,county,show me out with 201" * i say via the car mic as i step out hearing asorted spanish screaming not bothering to shout over then i reach through the chargers window and hit the airhorn,both men stop screaming as i finally speak ensureing im loud but not shouting* 'ok first off,Ice Cart guy,your gona sit in the back of my car,and gonna chill out, id rather NOT have to handcuff you'

* he shrugs at me  as the store owner speaks up* 'cuff his ass hes illigal!' * i turn my attention to the store owner* 'hows about you go with my partner INSIDE the store and tell her whats going on' * i say trying to get them seperated but ice cart guys still just kinda looking at me funny* 'hey diaz,you know spanish by chance,i dont think my guy speaks english,so i can take the store owner as i dont speak spanish*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

*I'd go over to the guy attending the cart, clearing my throat* 

'Hola, soy el oficial Díaz, recibimos una llamada de que ha estado acosando al dueño de la tienda y básicamente bloqueando el acceso a su tienda. ¿Te importa si puedes encontrar otro bloque para vender tu hielo raspado?'

sd201dep.png

Deputy Amber Diaz
Unit 201

Badge 2205

*while diaz handles the cart guy i  walk with the store owner into his store*

Store owner:" you gonna cuff his ass the guys ilegal, are you guys deporting him?'

*i sigh* "thats ICE'S jurisdiction,not mine,now whats this guy doing last i checked you dont own the sidewalk,and shiloh county is part of america so hes allowed to run his cart on a publically owned sidewalk,more or less wherever he pleases' 

*the store owner sighs then resumes  talking* 'he's dirty and stealing my buisness,not to mention i have customers saying my stores dirty cause of him did i mention the guys probably an illegal alien '

me: again,if you suspect and can prove the guys illegal,call imigration and customs enforcement with the guys name ,as to deporting him,again,that is not the sheriffs departments,jurisdiction,nor duty* i glance back ou at diaz whos talking with the cart owner then look back at the bodega owner* 'when i rolled up i saw you and him shouting,TECHNICALLY thats disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace,stay in the store ill converse with my partner and get the other guys story then we can find a way to resolve this little dispute ok?' * as i turn to head back outside i debate saying something to the guy im with on harassment incase he trys to get into another shouting match but opt to just try to get diaz's side of everything*

'Diaz,he telling you anything? my guy claims the cart mans stealing his buisness and hurting his stores reputation,he also is pressing hard with wanting him deported,did you get anything useful?'

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

'Negative, he said he wasn't stealing any business, hurting his rep, and that he was a legal citizen.'

*I'd walk over to the store owner* 

'Sir do you have any outside camera surveillance?'

sd201dep.png

Deputy Amber Diaz
Unit 201

Badge 2205

*as diaz just kinda walks over to the store owner i see the cart man going back to trying to get sales ,with the language barrier i cant really stop him but at least hes not trying to walk off or anything the whole mess seems like a civil issue yet here we both are,diaz can keep working the store owner while i keep my eye on the ice cart guy,who now holds up a shaved ice for me,i shake my head dismissivly it would be really really bad form to take one especially on a call,so while diaz talks ill just cross my arms  and wait,maybe she can get more answers outta the owner then  just demands for deportation*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024