Deceased Located - Call 20230941D

A. Tai

SCSD Detectives  - North 12 Street/Phoxlind Heights Avenue, body discovered, units on scene. 
NO OTHER PC UNITS TO RESPOND

"ERT, 219, we're on scene at that call, this is a confirmed deceased, you can stand down EMS, can we roll forensics and detectives, we've got a female, obvious signs of death, visible stab wounds. She's in the bushes here on the edge of the park."

"Copy that 219, units 210, and 213, be advised, this is an active crime scene, deceased located. 209, 213 continue to scene to provide perimeter." I update the call type and see the recommended supervisor for this call is 221. "Oxnard 221, we've got a body located, need you to respond to North 12th and Phoxlind Hghts. Detectives getting notified."

I hit page which sends notifications to the next up detectives, forensics and ERT County Coroner's investigations unit. The beeper still audible in the background, I hear the radio come to life. "ERT, 111, we're on the way." Must've been out. "Copy that 111."

"ERT, This is Shiloh County Community College PSO, we've got reports of a person down near the park on North 12th, we're responding code 3, can you dispatch SCFD EMS as well?"

And now some flavour.

"Copy that, be advised SCSD on scene for a deceased person in that area. Check with units on arrival."

I update the notes for the detectives who likely won't catch any of the chatter.

DECASED LOCATION - 20230941D

INITIAL 911 - REPORT OF PERSON DOWN IN AREA, UNKNOWN TROUBLE. DISPATCH 3x SCSD, SCFD EMS M7

UNITS ASSIGNED - 219, 210, 213

ARRIVAL 219 CONFIRMS DECASED

CANCEL M7

UPGRADE, DISPATCH DECEASED LOCATED

ADD 221, 111, DETECTIVES, ERT Coroner. 

SCCC PSO self dispatch and responding.

BODY FOUND - FEMALE OVBVIOUS SIGNS OF DEATH, STAB WOUNDS VISIBLE. BODY IN BUSHES AT EDGE OF PARK

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

*Getting a Page i look and see its for a deceased body, Heading down to 302  i get in and turn on the car and grab my mic out of the center console and key up*

"302 ERT Show me responding on this body found call"

*releasing the PTT on the mic i set it back down and spin the tablet towards me and look at the call notes*

'Okay i have patrol out with a dead body stab wounds in the bushes at the park, Lovely' 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2306

"Copy 302, be advised, patrol units on scene now."

Getting off the phone with Coroner, I wonder why they haven't moved to a pager app like every other agency. What a mess. 

Updating the CAD notes 

ERT CORONER INVESTIGATOR AND TRANSPORT VAN DISPATCHED AND EN ROUTE. INVESTIGATOR RESPONDING FROM HQ, TRANSPORT VAN RETURNING FROM CRESCENT FALLS, NOT RESPONDING EMERGENCY TRAFFIC WITHOUT DIRECTION FROM ON SCENE DETECTIVES.

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

"Copy 302, be advised, patrol units on scene now."

*Grabbing my mic i key up again and press the on scene button as i roll up*

"302 copies and you can show me off on scene with Patrol"

*placing my mic back in its holder i turn my lights off and place the car in park, Turning it off i grab the keys and pop the trunk as a officer walks up to me*

'Are you the detective we requested, We have the scene pretty secured right now and no one has touched or moved the body'

'Yes i am, I'm Detective Tobias Moore shiloh county sheriff's department, Thank you for not touching or moving the body let me get my gear and i'll be right over'

'Yes Sir'

Opening my trunk as the Patrol Sargent walks away i grab a camera and some evidence markers, I take a step back and close my trunk as and starting walking over to the scene as Forensics rolls up*

"111 ERT i'm on scene with 302"

*walking up to the tape i step under as the patrol sargent walks me over to the body and i pull out my notepad*

'Okay Sargent, What do we have'

'We were called out here for a reported person down in the bushes, Car 219 arrived and located the body down in the bushes with obvious signs of death and multiple stab wounds, At that point 219 canceled EMS and made the call for you'

'Okay Where's the officer that's assigned to 219 today is the caller still on scene'

'The Officer is over in their car and the caller was not on scene upon arrival of 219'

'Okay i'm going to take some pictures if you can have the officer in 219 come over to me so i can talk to them'

'Yes Sir i can do that'

Putting my notepad back in the camera bag i place the bag down and open it up and grab my camera and get it turned on and start getting it dialed in when one of the forensic members walks up to*

'Such a shame Detective she looks young'

'Yea with how young she looks i would assume she's close to 20 21 years old, this could be anything from a mugging gone wrong to a crazy ex'

*once my camera is focused i place the 1st evidence tag next to the body and take a step back and take 3 pictures then step a bit closer and take three 3 more then take 3 more photos from a top down of the body, After taking my initial Photos i take 3 pictures from different angles of the stab wounds*

'Hey Forensic's am i good to search the body for a possible ID'

'Yes Go ahead'

*grabbing two rubber gloves out of my pocket and my noted pad again i flip the page on my notepad and write "13:01 Took Initial scene photos and photos of stab wounds, 13:02: Searching victims body for ID" , Putting my note pad down and start searching for an ID finding a wallet under her body i slowly open it and  Find an ID and take a step back and Key up on my portable.*

"302 ERT can you do a name check in NCIC of a, Rylie Henderson, Romeo Yankee Lima Ida Echo, Henry Echo November Delta Echo Romeo Serria Oscar November" 

*releasing my ptt i grab my note pad and jolt down " 13:02 Found wallet underneath victim and found an ID of Rylie Henderson" * 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

Marking the units on scene as they get there, I wonder, how many ran sirens to this one, versus mozied along. My bet is both SCSD units did. 

"302 ERT can you do a name check in NCIC of a, Rylie Henderson, Romeo Yankee Lima Ida Echo, Henry Echo November Delta Echo Romeo Serria Oscar November" 

"Copy that 302, do you a DOB?"

"Yeah, sorry ERT. 12-8-2002"

"Copy that 302. Stand by" I run the information and get no information in NCIC, however I do see a driver's licence when I run through the county system.

"Nothing in NCIC 302, I do have a driver's license file I'm sending to your tablet in the car."

FEMALE IDENTIFIED - RYLIE HENDERSON 12-08-2002
413 COLUMBUS ROAD, OXNARD
GENERAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
NEGATIVE NCIC INFORMATION
R.HENDERSON@SCCC.EDU
5'6" 145LBS
GREEN 2012 NISSAN X-TRAIL - SARATOGA REG HAE 445

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

"Copy that 302. Stand by"

"Nothing in NCIC 302, I do have a driver's license file I'm sending to your tablet in the car."

*Placing the ID back in the wallet i put it on the ground and put a evidence tag on it when ERT gets back to me*

"302 Copies Do we have an ETA on the Coroner office?"

*releasing my Ptt i grab my notepad and write down "13:03 Put id in wallet and wallet on ground with marked evidence tag", Grabbing my Camera i take three pictures of the wallet and ID inside the wallet when 219 walks over to me*

'Hello Sir, Deputy Kaylyn Harris i was the first arriving deputy'

*I give a nod as i place my camera down and forensic's start doing their thing, Grabbing my note pad i step off to the side*

'Let's talk over here Deputy Harris'

*She steps over to me*

'Okay Deputy Harris to the best of your ability please tell me what you saw when you first arrived'

'Okay at 12:45 hrs i was dispatched here to North 1st street and Phoxlind Heights Ave for a reported person down, Me Sargent Edward Mullen's and Deputy Ashton  Rodriguez responded along with SCEMS Medic 7, I was the first arriving unit and located the victim here in the bushes and she was clearly deceased.

At that point i canceled the Medic unit and made a request for a patrol supervisor and detectives, i didn't touch the body and did my best to stay out of the area of the body and set up tape, After setting up tape i proceed to ask and possible witnesses if they saw anything and no one saw anything and the caller wasn't here when i arrived.

After that 213 and 210 arrived and helped me secure the scene and now we are'

*Writing down all the Info Deputy Harris gave me i look over at the scene as forensics is still working*

'Okay Deputy Harris your good to go back to securing the scene thank you for your time and if i need to talk to you more i'll be in contact'

*walking back over to the body i put my note book down in my camera bag and zip up the bag*

'I'm going to go put my camera bag in my car and look at my notes on my cad i'll be right back'

*walking back over to the cruiser i place my camera bag in the backseat and walk around to the drivers seat and sit down turning on my tablet i open the call notes in the EAT*

'FEMALE IDENTIFIED - RYLIE HENDERSON 12-08-2002
413 COLUMBUS ROAD, OXNARD
GENERAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
NEGATIVE NCIC INFORMATION
R.HENDERSON@SCCC.EDU
5'6" 145LBS
GREEN 2012 NISSAN X-TRAIL - SARATOGA REG HAE 445'

*grabbing my phone i call into dispatch and the dispatch lady picks up*

"Hey this Detective Tobias Moore Car 302, I was wondering if you could tell me who lives at the 413 Columbus Road address" 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

I answer the admin line as it rings.

'Shiloh County Communications.'

"Hey this Detective Tobias Moore Car 302, I was wondering if you could tell me who lives at the 413 Columbus Road address"

'What? Do you need me to run that address?'

'Yes, if possible.'

'What town?'

'Oxnard.'

'Not showing any call history there. Nothing in the premise database, either. County maps has it owned by a Jack Henderson.'

'Okay.'

'Okay. Do you need anything else?'

'Can you also email over call log information to the Sheriffs office for my report please?'

'Yeah, I can email you the CAD. You said this is Moore on 302?'

'Yes'

'OK. Anything else?'

'Nope that’s everything'

'Right, have a good one.'

I disconnect the line and email the CAD to the detective. No idea why he couldn't just note down what he needed off the EAT, but whatever.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

'Not showing any call history there. Nothing in the premise database, either. County maps has it owned by a Jack Henderson.'

*Getting the name from dispatch and some other things squared away i grab my note book out of my camera bag and write down the name and get out of the car and walk back over to forensics*

'You guys find anything else?'

'Not really just grabbed some shots of her phone that we sent to you and we got that bagged, Once that gets run through a dna swab we will send it to you to go through'

'Okay i'm going to walk around and see if maybe i can find a murder weapon or any signs of a struggle well we wait for County Coroner'

'Okay Sir'

*Walking around i start looking around in the bushes and in some trash cans for a murder weapon and don't find anything, Going over to the parking lot i don't see a blood trail but do notice tracks from where a vehicle drove up on the curb and through the grass, pulling out my phone i grab some pictures and let forensics know*

'HEY lets get this scene pulled back another 100 feet and out into the parking lot i got some tracks over here'

*Getting the scene moved back i go over and move my car and grab my camera out of the bag and place two evidence tags at the tracks and take better pictures of them*

'Looks like the vehicle drove up on the curb and drove over to the bushes, There isn't tracks on that far side so i assume they backed out the same way'

'That's what it looks like, What are you thinking so far'

'Preliminary it's looking like a murder, it's just a question of finding the subject have you guys noticed any camera's around here?'

'No i haven't'

'Looks like the subject knew that i bet that's why he dumped the body here'

'Do you think  maybe a park worker saw something'

'Could be but there's none here right now so at some point i would have to come back'

'Do you think the subject possibly worked here and that's how he knew there wasn't cameras'

'Possibly but that's also assuming he knew there wasn't cameras to begin with he could've also just used here as a last ditch area, and with it being somewhat out of the view of the public who fully knows, But i'm going to go write up a report to put out to the news and wait for the ME'

'Okay sir if we find anything else we will let you know'

*Walking back to my car i get in and pull out my laptop out of the back seat and log in, Turning my car on i grab the mic for the radio and key up*

"302 ERT i never got a response the first time, Whats the ETA on the ME?"

*releasing the PTT i leave the mic on my lap and start writing up a report for the news*

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

Pulling up to the scene in the pickup truck, I turn on the red lights on the roof, and the deputy guarding the road waves me in. Switching to the radio channel designated in the tablet, I catch the tail end of a transmission.

"302 ERT i never got a response the first time, Whats the ETA on the ME?"

sigh. She's already dead. She's not getting deader. I'm not risking my life lights and sirens to tell you that.

I turn the wheel towards the curb, turn lock the wheel with the antitheft so the air stays on. I toggle the lights down to stage 1, and pick up the radio.

"ERT, you can advise Sheriff we're just arriving on scene, can you send their lead over to our unit?"

I get out and walk around back, unlocking the bed cap and pull out the camera bag, taking the DSLR out and putting it around my neck, and grab a pair of nitrile gloves.

coronertruckinvest.png
Investigator Eric Carmona
County Coroner

Shiloh County Coroner's Office
Badge 2397

"ERT, you can advise Sheriff we're just arriving on scene, can you send their lead over to our unit?"

*looking Up i see a coroner van pulling in a guy get out and ask for me to come over to their unit via radio, turning my car off and stepping out of my car i walk up to him*

'Good Afternoon Sir, Detective Tobias Moore, I don't think i've met you before?'

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

'Good Afternoon Sir, Detective Tobias Moore, I don't think i've met you before?'

He must be the impatient sheriff.

"Eric Carmona, Coroner's Investigator. I'd shake your hand., but" I say, nodding towards my gloved palms. "I'm going to get the body processed, and we can bag her then. I was talking to transport, they're coming back from CFU, so they might be a while. What do we have on the go here? Notes look like a female found in the bushes stabbed?" I look towards the scene and in amongst the black sheriff cars, I see a white and red car. "What's with Fire here? Was she pronounced? I thought this was a discovery?" And why are the lights red AND blue on that fire truck?(SCCC PSO)

While I wait for an answer, we start walking towards the scene. 

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

"Eric Carmona, Coroner's Investigator. I'd shake your hand., but" I say, nodding towards my gloved palms. "I'm going to get the body processed, and we can bag her then. I was talking to transport, they're coming back from CFU, so they might be a while. What do we have on the go here? Notes look like a female found in the bushes stabbed?" I look towards the scene and in amongst the black sheriff cars, I see a white and red car. "What's with Fire here? Was she pronounced? I thought this was a discovery?"

'The Car is from the Community College it was close enough to their district they responded to assist with securing the scene, And Right now it appears we have a 20 year old Female Name of Rylie Henderson with multiple stab wounds, SCSD Car 219 arrived on scene and found her with clear signs being deceased we are obviously treating this as a murder'

*Looking back at the scene i see Forensics still busy*

'Do you need help bringing anything to Scene Mr Carmona?'

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

Frigging school police. Figures.

"Do you need help bringing anything to scene Mr. Carmona?"

"I don't think so. I've got my camera, I've got my gloves. Your forensics are working the scene I take it? Let's head over and see what we're looking at. 20 Years old. Any history? Junkie?"

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

"I don't think so. I've got my camera, I've got my gloves. Your forensics are working the scene I take it? Let's head over and see what we're looking at. 20 Years old. Any history? Junkie?"

*Me and the Coroner start walking over to the scene when he asks me if she had any previous drug history*

'No according to the system she was attending SCCC and i didn't notice any track marks on arms or anything. And yea right now Forensics are working it we didn't notice any camera's'

*We get over to the tape and one of the deputies asks who the Coroner is and i wave the deputy off as we duck under the tape*

'We did find some tracks here where a vehicle appeared to have entered into the park but couldn't find anything else, So as of right now i'm thinking her body was possibly dumped here and either the suspect knew this end of the park isn't as busy and doesn't have cameras or got extremely lucky' 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

"Well Mr. Moore" I say, as I see the corpse a few feet away. "The doers seldom get lucky, so I'll bank that they're quite familiar."

I size up the scene and take a few photos before proceeding up.

"Tell me Agent, you find any clues leading to the murder weapon?" I say, mindlessly while I stare at the body. I count no less than 4 entry wounds on initial glance, I take a few pictures and kneel down. One of the forensics guys looks at me, checks the blash on my shoulder, and carries on his business.

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

"Tell me Agent, you find any clues leading to the murder weapon?"

'No Which makes me think even more that they were dumped, But whatever the weapon is/was it seems to be atleast 4 inches in length as the wounds appear to be about 4 inches deep but that's your call not mine'

*continuing our way up to the scene*

'Once we get the body out of here would you like me to bring one of her parents down to your office to Identify her or should we be good with just doing a Notification'

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

'Once we get the body out of here would you like me to bring one of her parents down to your office to Identify her or should we be good with just doing a Notification'

"Well, officer, I'm not the ME, so that's their call, but if you've got the wallet, I'll take a look and see if we've got a good identification." He hands a bag over. I size up the ID and the corpse. "Yeah, lets call this her. Let's take a look."

I get down and photograph a couple of the stab wounds. I'm not sure how he can judge depth by looking at the bloody holes left in the body, but sure.

"So, constable, do you have a plan to search the area for a weapon?" I say, while I examine the rest of the body. "She's clearly been stabbed, and it looks like she's been dead for only a couple hours."

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

"So, constable, do you have a plan to search the area for a weapon?"

'Already did a initial search and didn't locate anything'

"She's clearly been stabbed, and it looks like she's been dead for only a couple hours."

'Do you have an aprox time frame might help us figure out when she was dumped here cause once we get wrapped up here i'm going to go see if maybe the school picked up anything maybe she was picked up from the school'

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

'Do you have an approx. time frame might help us figure out when she was dumped here cause once we get wrapped up here i'm going to go see if maybe the school picked up anything maybe she was picked up from the school'

I lean in and check the body a little more.

"See the blood pooling right here Investigator? There's a large amount here," I say pointing to the blood patch in the grass. "It looks like she bled out here, but if you'll look closer, you'll see it's coagulated differently. Some of the blood has been out of the body I'd say at least a half hour or a full hour longer than the rest. I figured she was stabbed in a car or some other site nearby, then transported here and dumped. Looking at the temp readings I've got, I put her ToD around 4 hours ago. When she gets back to the morgue we'll be able to give a better number."

I stand up, and see the white van pulling up, essentially double parking next to my truck. 

"Now Reverend, if your forensics guys are ready, I'd like to start packing and transporting the body."

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

"It looks like she bled out here, but if you'll look closer, you'll see it's coagulated differently. Some of the blood has been out of the body I'd say at least a half hour or a full hour longer than the rest. I figured she was stabbed in a car or some other site nearby, then transported here and dumped. Looking at the temp readings I've got, I put her ToD around 4 hours ago. When she gets back to the morgue we'll be able to give a better number."

'Okay'

*Turning around and seeing what looks like the county coroner pull up i see the investigator stand up*

"Now Reverend, if your forensics guys are ready, I'd like to start packing and transporting the body."

*Turning and looking around the scene i see the Forensics guys starting to pick up*

'Yea Forensics are starting to clean up as well your good to take the body, I'm going to go finish writing up my Initial Report if you need anything else i'll be in my car'

*Walking back over to my car i get in the drivers seat and grab my laptop again and continue writing* 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

'Yea Forensics are starting to clean up as well your good to take the body, I'm going to go finish writing up my Initial Report if you need anything else i'll be in my car'

"Sounds good ambassador, give me a call later on today or tomorrow, I should have at least a prelim report done."

As he walks off, I find my own people, and give them a hand securing the body, packing him up and loading him into the van. I sit down in the cab of my truck while I enter my own scene notes.

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

*Looking up from my laptop i see the Coroner taking the body away and Forensics pulling away*

"111 ERT show us clear returning"

*Hearing them Clearing i pull out my phone and give a call down to the Community College*

"Hello Shiloh County Community College Amy Speaking"

"Hello Amy this is Detective Tobias Moore with the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department, and we just responded to a call that involved one of your students"

'Oh my is everything okay sir"

"Not Particularly So i was wondering if you guys had any cameras you would be willing for me to come down and check out"

"Yes we do  we can have them pulled up for you but you'll have to give us a bit cause we gotta the archives downloaded"

"Okay Perfect i'll be down there in about a half hour or so to check out the footage"

*Hanging up i put my phone down and finish up my report to the new channel* 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306

ATTN: SECRETARY TOBIAS MOORE

REGARDING SCSD INCIDENT 20230941D
DECEASED FEMALE

PRELIM FINDINGS
IMMEDIATE CAUSE
> Blood loss secondary to stab wounds
SIGNIFICANT CONCERNS
> Blood loss from body and scene consistent with secondary location
> Subject appears to have been stabbed and dumped premortem 
MANNER OF DEATH
Homicide

OTHER INFORMATION
Autopsy scheduled for 22:00hrs tonight
8 total stab wounds identified on body in morgue
No obvious signs of other trauma
Blood drawn for testing, sent to lab
Personal effects include wallet, coins, key, MyOne Size C Condom

I hit send  on my report. Enjoy, Mr. Secretary.

coronertruckinvest.png
County Coroner

Badge 2397

*Getting a email from the coroner i open it and see its the prelim report* 

'Good Now time to head to the Community college'

*Putting my car in drive i grab my mic and key up*

"302 ERT Clear off the call you can close it out and i'll be out at the community college" 

sd301det.png
Detective Tobias Moore
Unit 302

Badge 2306