Small Brush Fire Call Number 20231126

A. Tai

ENGINE 1 , REPORTED BRUSH FIRE IN HARBOR PARK, ENGINE 1, BRUSH FIRE, HARBOR PARK, AREA OF BAY STREET NORTH AT NORTH FOURTH STREET. RESPOND ENGINE 1.

"911 What is the location of your emergency?"

"HARBOR PARK!"

"Okay ma'am, where are you in harbor park?"

"By fourth street."

"Okay, in North river, right?"

"uhuh, there's a fire!"

"What's on fire?"

"I don't know, it looks like some grass again!"

Jesus, it's November and we're still burning grass?  How in the hell?

"Okay ma'am, I've got the fire department responding. Are there any structures nearby?"

"No, no, it's only a small little bit of grass right now, it isn't really moving fast. I guess the frost is slowing it down."

"Okay, I understand. I've got the fire department on the way to you now, if anything changes call us back right away."

I process the call and dispatch a modified response of just one engine, instead of taking the rescue off the run to staff the brush truck. 

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

As the toner sounds in the station, I stand from my chair in the shift commander's office. A brush fire in November? Good lord. At least the frost might keep it slow. I guess they aren't sending the brush truck on this one since they don't expect anything to it. 

I walk out of the station office onto the apparatus floor and see the door starting to open. Yep, this is  a full gear and a hat day. I step into my boots and pull on my jacket and a beanie from the locker before making my way over to the Engine. 

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

Hearing the tones drop for us I head down the bay and gear up before getting in the driver's seat of the Engine.

'So a brush fire in November, gotta wonder how this one started.'

I say making my remark as I wait for others to get in before pulling out.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

As Campbell climbs in, I answer Cook. "Aliens, obviously."

Cook pulls out of the bay, and I step down on the Q siren. It won't be a long drive, but nothing beats a Q in the morning. 

"ERT, Engine 1, we're en route. We do have a little smoke visible on the horizon already." I say into the mic, as I press the en route button on the MDT tablet. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

Pulling up on Fourth, I can see some flames licking at the grass. Not much, but, yep, that's a fire.

"ERT, Engine 1, we're coming up on scene now, we've got a small grass fire burning, no brush on fire now, we're going to lay a line, no further units will be needed." Hanging the mic up, I press on scene on the MDT, and turn back to Campbell. "We're down a man, so when we pull up, Cook will run the pump, I'll get you to grab the trash line off the back, I'll grab a rake out of the side and we'll make quick work of this."

As Cook parks the Engine blocking the outside lane on Bay, I open my door, and walk around back. I pull a couple cones out and give us some working room, because I don't trust drivers to not kill us, and start laying them out. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

We pull up and I hear the Acting Cpt's orders for the trash line. I exit the rig and pull the line past the fire. I call for water.

"Engine 1 pump send the good stuff" 

Once the lines charged I open the nozzle and begin extinguishing. 

engine1ffpm.png

Firefighter Paramedic Nicholas Campbell
Engine 1

Badge 2355

With the cones out, I head back over to the side compartment to grab a rake.

"Engine 1 pump, send the good stuff" I hear called out over the tactical channel. 

I walk towards the smoke with the rake and wait for Campbell to clear enough space for me to pull up some dirt. At this rate, we'll have the entire park fully turned over. What's this #2 for this shift this year?

As Campbell wipes out some of the fire, I tap his shoulder and walk forward with the rake. Hopefully he'll get the hint to go elsewhere with his stream, and I start pulling over the dirt for hotspots. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001