Mike's Diner

Blackburn

'Well its sink or swim. And from that report you left on my desk he swam. Can't say that about the other two. But the family is doing alright. Steph has her annual conference in boston next month. So I'll be home alone with everyone for a few nights. Also one daughter hates me. She keeps trying to piss me off and its working.'

*The waitress serves us our drinks.*

'Do you know what you want?'

'Souvlaki Platter with fries. Extra Tazkiki sauce.'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*I listen, letting out a small chuckle when he starts talking about his one daughter.*

'Let me guess. Ashley right. I can't imagine Katie acting out in any way. She'd be a wreck if she even thought about it. If you need somewhere to send her for a few days, we've got space. You're both hotheaded, I know you.'

*As the waitress takes Zach's order and turns to me.*

'I'll have the gyro platter.'

*I direct my attention back to Zach as the waitress leaves.*

'How is Steph, by the way?'

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1825

'Yep, How did you guess its Ashley. She came home with a nose ring the other day. That's actually what started a huge fight the other day, I can't see Katie rebelling same with James. But I appreciate the offer. But I'm not sure how that would pan out since neither one of them likes change.'

*As the waitress takes Allies order.*

'Shes doing her thing, being a hero for people with special needs all over the county. One of the local news shows want to interview her, Fireside chat I think. How's Renee doing I haven't seen her in ages?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Because Katie can't break rules and James is James. The offer's open if you wanna ship the problem child out for a couple days. I can imagine the screaming matches you all get into.' 

*The waitress comes back with our plates and I take another sip.*

'Fireside chat? Like the old Roosevelt radio thing?: That's.. a quaint name. We don't watch the news much, so I hadn't heard about it. Renee is still early enough in her career that she's an idealist. She's doing immigration law with the state. Lately she's been going on about the injustice disabled immigrants face and she still thinks she can change the world. It's nice to see that kind of fighting spirit before it gets broken down by the system.'

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

*I waddle my unbelievably large frame up to the front door. I reach over and open the front door before struggling to make it up the one step into the doorway. I haul myself up the step, using the door as leverage. I let out a huge "ugghh" as I make it up the step and proceed inside. I'm out of breath now.

As I attempt to make it through the door way, the immense girth of my hips prevents me from advancing.*

'God damn door. I swear to God you guys keep making this door smaller every time I come here!' I say in frustration.

*I wedge myself out of the doorway and struggle to turn sideways. I manage to squeeze through sideways by lifting my enormous gut and taking a deep breath in.*

'Ugghhh...Jesus. That's better.' I say relieved that I made it through the door. 

*I find the nearest booth*

'Hey sugar!' I say waving to the waitress.

'Oh hey there Jimmy!' she replies 'Just take a seat wherever darlin'

*I shove the table over to the other end of the booth with a mighty push. I then proceed to plop down into the booth.

THUD 

*I turn around and struggle to scoot fully into the booth. After quite the struggle I make it far enough into the booth so that my ass is no longer spilling over the edge. I pull the table back towards me until it's about a inch deep into my belly*

The waitress comes over.

'What'll you have today darlin?' she asks me.

'Sweetheart, you know what I want.' I reply back slyly.

'Apple Pie and a Vanilla malt, right?' she asks as she peaks over her ticket pad.

'You got it...and a whole lotta whipped cream!' I say excitedly.

'Ha ha ha...you got it baby.' she says as she walks off.

*I sit in the booth breathing heavily, playing Candy Crush on my phone on full volume. I get hungrier with each 'SWEET' the game lets out. After a few minutes, I'm about ready to lick my phone to taste the candy in the game....that is until I'm interrupted by the waitress*

'Here you go honey.' She says.

She puts a whole untouched apple pie in front of me. Followed by a vanilla malt and a soup bowl filled to the brim with whipped cream.

'Thank you sweet cheeks.' I say happily as I prepare to consume my desert.

I grab my spoon and start to shovel whipped cream onto the pie.

I begin to eat like a ravenous animal.

James "Big Jim" Kowalski
Dispatcher

Shiloh County ERT Communications
Badge 2098

'I remember when I was like that, Young, Optimistic actually thought I can make a difference. Now I come to work trying to keep myself out of the public eye and keeping you guys out of trouble. I can't remember when the Idealist in me died but I think it was a little after Ashley was born and seeing these shitty fucking people trying to have families. I was covering one of the regular patrol sergeants one day and we responded to a domestic where a dude stabbed his wife in the neck while the whole family was watching TV. 2 kids and one on the way. He snapped because he thought one of the kids wasn't his and then came back and sunk a 9 inch carving knofe through her neck. When we got there there were a bunch of screaming kids covered in blood and he was found a few hours later trying to drown himself in Arcadia bay. After that I started looking at the world with a whole different view point.'

*I notice a large man walk in. After a brief conversation with the waitress I swear I can recognize the voice.*

'Holy shit.'

*I say low enough that Allie can hear.*

'Thats Big Jim. I've been hearing about him for years. Every time I'm up in 911 hes not there, I thought he was just a legend. But holy shit he's real.'

*The man pulls out his phone and on max volume. From across the room I can hear SWEET! and It looks like hes salivating more every time the game makes that noise.*

Edited by Z. Russo
BIG JIM'S ARRIVAL

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Hell. I don't think you've ever told me about that one. I like to say we see the best and worst of people but honestly, we see a lot more bad than good most days.'

*A large man walks in and Zach starts telling me about the legendary "Big Jim" from dispatch.*

'Shit is that the guy who always sounds like he's about to have a fucking coronary over the radio?'

*I speak in a very low voice, so low I'm not even sure if Zach can hear it. I hadn't heard much about the dispatchers, I barely can identify them over the radio by voice, and we don't exactly see them much.*

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

• 1 year later...

*I walk into the diner and take a seat at the bar. I've been coming here for years and have had numerous life changing events happen at this diner. Comfort food aside this is really the only place I can handle news like this. I take a seat at the bar and wait for Ricky*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I pull into the parking lot and park next to Russo's car. Jesus, I didn't think I've ever felt this nervous before in my life. What if he just shot me as I walked in?

I get out of my car and head inside, taking a seat at the bar next to Zach.

'Good afternoon, sir.'

Jesus, I was probably shaking like a damn leaf.

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*I stare at Ricky as he sits down*

‘Good afternoon sir.’

*I continue to stare until I make him visibly uncomfortable.

’That’s all you have to say?’

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I stare back at Russo, determined not to allow him to unnerve me. Even if he was unnerving.

'I thought I'd start there. It's generally polite to greet someone you're meeting before launching into conversation.'

He wanted to be a dick? Fuck him. I had good intentions when I asked him to meet but if he wanted to be an ass then I could return it.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I thought I'd start there. It's generally polite to greet someone you're meeting before launching into conversation.'

'Its also generally polite to not knock your bosses daughter up. In fact I would go out of my way to say its incredibly disrespectful.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

"I didn't come here to get lectured or attacked, Captain Russo. I came here to have a frank conversation with you. Now are we going to have a respectful conversation or are you going to continue berating me?"

I cross my arms as I stare down Russo. I was not in the mood for this dickishness. I had way more important shit to worry about.

"And I'll have you know that Ashley and I love each other very much. This isn't just a one night stand."

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I didn't come here to get lectured or attacked, Captain Russo. I came here to have a frank conversation with you. Now are we going to have a respectful conversation or are you going to continue berating me?'

*Ricky starts to get defensive and crosses his arms*

'And I'll have you know that Ashley and I love each other very much. This isn't just a one night stand.'

'I know its not a one night stand but you just turned my daughter into a fucking statistic. She's still in school and had a future ahead of her until you came along. You know how difficult it is to have a kid when your a full time college student?'

*Before he gets a chance to answer*

'Did you know Ashley is at CFU on a Scholarship for gymnastics? I'm sure she's going to lose that once this gets out. I know I can't afford to pay for her last year there. I know you can't and she only works 2 days a week at the diner in essex so shes not going to be able to.'

*At this point i'm ranting. I see he's been wanting to make a rebuttal but I'm not hearing it*

'Do you know the statistics of single parents going to college. When I looked it up a few years ago it was only about a quarter of single mothers get degrees.'

*I take a deep breath giving Ricky a chance to speak*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I stare Russo down as he rants, my arms remaining crossed. This absolute dick. I try to interject a few times, but he talks over me and keeps going. Once he finishes I start to speak.

'Do you think Ashley and I haven't discussed some of these things? Neither one of us is a fucking idiot, Zachary. Of course I know she's on a scholarship. Just like I know it's NCAA and CFU policy to extend scholarships for pregnant athletes.'

I stand up, deciding I was fed up with the way he was acting.

'And I'll have you know that Ashley is not a single mother. Now, I'm done with this conversation since you can't be rational. When you decide you can have a calm conversation like an adult, you know how to reach me.'

I turn to head for the door. I was pissed. I had had every intention of a respectful man-to-man conversation.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

*Ricky begins to walk out.*

‘Where the fuck do you think your going?’

*I slap down a 10 on the counter and follow Ricky out of the diner. We walk out onto the street.*

’Ok, if you want me to be rational let me tell you what’s up!’

*I say emphasizing the word rational*

’Me and My wife were in the same fucking position 20 years ago. It almost ruined our marriage. What makes you think that you can pull this off better? What makes you think that come out of this without destroying my daughters future? You know what, even better. Tell me your plan.’

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I turn to face Russo as he begins to yell again. I step closer to him, obviously pissed off at this point. I wasn't going to hit him, but I definitively wanted to give him a piece of my mind.

'You need to watch your fucking tone. Your kids and your wife might let you speak to them like that but you sure as fuck won't do it to me. I came here to have a fucking honest, man-to-man conversation with you. Because you know what, we are fucking scared. This isn't fucking ideal. It's not like this was a fucking plan. I thought maybe I could fucking come to you and ask for some goddamned advice, for some fucking understanding - since you fucking went through this. Instead you want to shout and yell and fucking berate me like you haven't been in my fucking shoes. Like you didn't do the exact same thing. Like you're any fucking better than I am. Fuck you.'

I turn and open my car door, thoroughly done with Russo.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'You need to watch your fucking tone. Your kids and your wife might let you speak to them like that but you sure as fuck won't do it to me. I came here to have a fucking honest, man-to-man conversation with you. Because you know what, we are fucking scared. This isn't fucking ideal. It's not like this was a fucking plan. I thought maybe I could fucking come to you and ask for some goddamned advice, for some fucking understanding - since you fucking went through this. Instead you want to shout and yell and fucking berate me like you haven't been in my fucking shoes. Like you didn't do the exact same thing. Like you're any fucking better than I am. Fuck you.'

*As Ricky gets into his car we continuing arguing. Our voices are raised and we are for sure causing a scene*

'Don't you dare tell me to watch my fucking tone.  Don't you dare comment on my fucking family. You want some fucking advice stay the fuck away from my daughter. And you do deserve to be berated because your a fucking piece of shit to put Ashley in this situation, Fuck you. And if I ever see you with my daughter again were gonna have a real fucking problem.'

*He slams his car door.*

'FUCK YOU!'

*I say loud enough that I know he can hear me through the glass*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

In a final act of defiance, I raise my middle finger to Captain Russo before driving away. I whip out my cell phone, dialing Ashley's number as I take a few breaths to calm myself. I wanted to be calm when I talked to her and told her how poorly the conversation with her dad went. She was definitely not going to be happy, and I knew she wouldn't take well to Zach saying we couldn't see each other. Especially now.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

*I walk back to my truck seeing him flip me off driving away.*

'Yeah you too!'

*I say as I use both hands to flip him off as he drives down the street*

'Who the fuck does that kid think he is...'

*I can see people staring at the scene that just occurred*

'People can't mind their own fucking business'

sd400cpt.png