Purse Snatcher

R. Martin

SHERIFFS UNITS X2. (This makes it the first thing in the discord preview in dispatch channel.) UNARMED ROBBERY VIA PURSE SNATCHING. FORT SHANNON PUBLIC LIBRARY, CORNER OF NORTH 1ST AND BAY STREETS.

Time: 1345 Weather: Rainy

The 911 line rings, and I watch as one of the calltakers picks it up. It's only a few moments before the call pops up on my screen and I read the cal lnotes quickly. Man snatched a purse at the library from some grandma and was booking it for the door. Great. I key up the SO radio, dispatching units to the call.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

In the heavy rain, I hear the radio crackle to life. Wires down and fire's exhausted, or do we have something more exciting?

Shiloh County Sheriff, requesting two units for unarmed robbery, area of Fort Shannon Public Library. Male suspect, headed north on Bay. Please acknowedge.

"ERT, 207, show me responding." I say, flicking my lights on, though the weather is keeping most people inside anyways.

I make my way West on N1st Street and can see the library's structure in the distance. Won't be long and I'll be on whoever is running. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Leaving the station to head out on patrol for the second time this shift.   Figuring this time I'll get some lunch but nope.   Just have to hear this one coming over the radio to change my plans.

"216 responding"

Back to Bay Street I go.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

Coming up on the area, I slow the car and turn off the front facing lights, scanning the area for someone looking out of place with a purse, or adequately distressed. Then again, with this weather, anyone is bound to look out of place and distressed.

"ERT, 207, I'm in the area, do we have any identification at this time?"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Now coming into the area I get on the radio to basically repeat what 207 had asked dispatch.  Haven't heard a peep from them so maybe they're busy getting the details or something.

"ERT, 216, now in the area.  Do we have a description of the perp?"

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

Having heard nothing I make my way around the block, waiting for dispatch again. I see a lone woman who seems quite intrigued by my car. 

I indicate and pull in to the curb.

"216, I've got a civilian flagging me down"

Pulling my cap on, I get out of the car and make my way over. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

* monitering the radio and being local to the purse snatcher i figure ill help so i key up* ‘211 to 207 direct, im just across the river from the libary approving from the south to assist, anything from your flagdown?” * releaseing  the trucks mic i pull onto the bridge i can see the other cruisers lights and with dispatch not helping they probably could use a 3rd set of eyes*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

'Help! He took my purse.'

'Okay Ma'am, where did he go?'

'I don't know. He ran down the street that way, towards the River.'

'Do you know what he was wearing?'

'Why aren't you chasing him down! Go! I need you to go!'

'I understand, but I need you to answer my questions. There's additional units in the area searching for him right now. The more information you give us, the better we can work.'

As I speak, I hear my earpiece come to life. 

"211 to 207 direct, I'm just across the river from the library approaching from the south to assist. Anything from your flagdown?'

Before the lady can respond, I speak into my shoulder.

"211, stand by. Info to follow."

'Okay, he was wearing. Red. Maybe? It was like a red jacket. That's all I saw.'

'And you said he went south? Towards the river?'

'Yes! Go get him.'

'Okay ma'am, I'm going to relay this information and we're going to track him down.'

"All units for robbery in Fort Shannon Public Library area, suspect description, male, red jacket, southbound on foot."

While units call back confirmation into my earpiece, I take down the lady's information before returning to my vehicle, indicating to pull out into traffic and start a more guided search of the area.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

“ male,red jacket on foot,10-4 207,211 is searching” *i reply as i scan the bridge the guys running so it shouldent be to hard to find espically with the light traffic cause of the storm  when i see a guy in red with a buldge in his jacket just getting on to the bridge* ‘ wonder if thats our guy...’ * i say to myself as i pull 211 up to him and chirp the sirens to get his attention as i lower the window*
’sir,hey can i talk to yo-‘ he bolts i park my truck just off the bridge and nump out keying up* “207,211 male in a red jacket fleeing on foot upon my attempt to stop him.. just at the bridge...* a carhorn honks as im panting running after him*  foot  chase eastbound!” * i release my PTT * ‘ STOP RUNNING,POLICE!’ * why cant they just listen for once*

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

"ERT copies 211 with one running."

I drop the net tones and key up the channel again.

"All units hold the net for 211 in a foot pursuit with a robbery suspect, area of the Fort Shannon Library. Take regular traffic to Channel 2, pursuit on 3." I set the marker tone and listen for 211 to call out his locations so I can update the CAD.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

"211, 207 en route." I key my mic and announce my intentions.

Grabbing my wheel I head down Bay towards the bridge, siren blaring trying to get an eye on anything. I hope it's this bridge. 

I see 211 parked on the street driver's door open and I rev up knowing they must be close.

"ERT, 207, 211 area of Bay Street Bridge, unsure location of deputy, continuing on vehicle until I make contact."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

* as im running i hear 207 come over the air unable to find me when i told him i was eastbound right by the bridge by the library  sighing i key up still running* “eastbound by the 484 bridge..* panting* male red jacket bulge under it fled on contact”

’ STOP RUNNING!...’ * i shout im slowly gaining ground as i key up * “ 211,207 pull ahead cut him off  ill lose him in an ally” * i say as i release my ptt, wishing i was a bit more in shape as i forgot just how heavy a gear belt is, i might be gaining but im also running outta gas*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

As soon as I heard foot pursuit eastbound I got on N. 4th to get to Lyons Ave in an attempt to get ahead of this guy.  Heading south on Lyons, passing by N. 3rd, I listen to the radio to hear whether I should get on N. 2nd to connect to Court Avenue.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

Pulling up towards the two, I see the deputy starting to lag behind. I rev the engine, flick the siren to phaser, easily the most unsettling of the sirens, and pull well ahead of the suspect, probably ten feet before slamming on the brakes and cutting in front of him. He was looking at the car but didn't stop to think, and ran right into quarter panel of my car, sliding of the hood before stumbling. I slam up on the shifter, locking into park and hop out of the car. One hand rests on my gun while I throw myself full speed at the disoriented suspect.

Landing into the small of his back with my knee, I grab his arm and wrench it up to his shoulder blade.

'Do not resist. You are under arrest.'

Is this the police over-aggression they talk about?

He stops fighting and I pull my cuffs out, securing his wrenched arm, and then linking it to his other wrist, as I hear footsteps coming up behind me at a fair clip.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

* that’ll work i say to myself while holding my taser to cover 207 while i steady my breath after i see him bounce off 207’s quarter panel * ‘ your covered’ * i say as i see 207s driver cuff our guy then address the runner* ‘ So my man ,your not usain bolts kid are ya,you can run dude’

* holstering my taser while the runner ignores my question i tack on not knowing who the deputy cuffing him is* ‘ purse is in his coat,theres a buldge, its either  drugs or our stolen purse’

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

'it's either drugs or our stolen purse.'

Or it's a loaf of bread that he's protecting from the rain. Jesus I hope there's more on this case than he saw a bulge, otherwise I'm going to be in jail. 

'Alright buddy, what are you running for?' 

As I stand him up a purse hits the ground. Thank god.

"ERT, this is 207, all responding units to the Bay Street Bridge foot pursuit can stand down, we have suspect in custody."

I lead the guy up to the side of my car and start his pat down while going over his Miranda Rights caution. Finding nothing else of interest other than an ID, I put him in the back of my car out of the rain and turn towards Dempsey. 

'I'll get you to go over and interview him, I'm going to run his ID. Need a run back to your car?'

After he responds, I climb in the driver's seat, start running his ID and entering notes when it comes back clear.  

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Hearing the update I sigh a bit before keying up the radio.

"216, cancelling"

Well, guess I wasn't needed.  Flipping off the lights and sirens I decide that now is a good time to get something to eat.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

‘We can interview ...’* i trail off scanning for something to get under* ‘ the awning infront of your car,now whyed you run from me man,we coulda talked  been civil and both be dry’ * i lead the guy over to the awning he finally decides to speak*
 red jacket: ‘ was bored,swiped her bag on a dare my buddy was supose to throw it up on tiktok or somethin’ * i sigh theres gotta be more to this or maybe there isint*
’ you know running from a cop is failuer to follow a lawful order,or a felony for fleeing,right as i told you to stop,theres no tiktok in jail,this aint grand theft auto you cant just call lester and make myself and my partner drive on by’

* he shrugs*
red jacket: ‘ can i just like give it back and applogize,its just a purse man’

* i sigh and look at wagner*

’anything on em wagner?’

* i ask realizing hes in his car with the window and door closed so i turn back to the red jacket*
’ you honestly expect me to belive that this was for a stupid tiktok video and your bored,whats your buddys name..full name not a nickname not his uploader name,and while your at it whats yours too?’

* red jacket: ‘ you got my id my buddys named jamal’

’ jamal what?’ * i reply not  amused*

red jacket: ‘ jamal, you said no nicknames i dunno his last, we was on the corner was bored and hes like steal thst girls purse,you a bitch if you dont,so i did it but he was gone so i took off then you found me’

* i cut him off*
’ and then you ran from me and here we are,stay infront of the car,im gonna talk with my partner’

* i move to duck into 207*
’ soo hes given me jack shit,some line about making a tiktok vid claims he was with a friend but wouldent gimme anything aside from the friends named Jamal and they were both bored so this mystery jamal dared him to snatch a purse and he’ed film it but after he grabbed the purse jamal was gone’ * i sigh and repeat my ealier question*
’ did you get any hits on his id?’

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

"ERT, this is 207, all responding units to the Bay Street Bridge foot pursuit can stand down, we have suspect in custody."

"220 continuing in."

*I roll up as I hear 216 cancel.*

"220 On scene."

*I roll up to Dempsy and Jerry. Without getting out of the car I roll down the window.*

'Who got the collar?'

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2049

"ERT copies all units can cancel on the foot pursuit, one in custody. Net is clear, all traffic back on Channel 3. 220, I copy you continuing in."

I lift the marker tones and broadcast across Channel 2 to move all regular traffic back over. I key in a few CAD notes.

"Copy 220 on scene."

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

Rolling my window down, I answer the Sarge. 

'Dempsey was pursuing a suspect, I engaged and stopped him with the hood of my car. He hit me though, I'm still considering pressing charges for damage to public property. Anyways I cuffed him, but I'm letting Dempsey handle the actual arrest, since he spotted him. '

As the female dispatcher squawks the information out, I reach over and turn down the radios. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

* with wagner guving the sarge a spiel i figure ill add to it a d ask if i should tack on something with the car* ‘ he said he was bored and with a friend ,said friend apprently dared him to snatch a purse to video,so our guy did but the friend was gone,hes refuseing to give anything other then an apprent first name and he ran from me when i rolled up to initially interview’ * i sigh looking to wagner again* ‘  you tagging him for the car or no,i got a him for at least felony robbery and grand theft as it stands, so whos giving us a ride back to 211 or do i gotta perp walk him back,also whats his name missed whst dispatch said about em’

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

'Ok one of you guys make contact with the complainant and do a show up so these charges stick. Jerry give him a ride back, You boys can both take a few hours of OT to process.'

"220 Show 207 with an under time of 1422. Show me headed back to the station for shift change."

*I roll my window up as I pull away*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2049