SCSD Merger

K. Ross

Today I wore a light blue dress suit for the evening news and I think I look good while sitting behind the news desk.  We are now coming to the part involving SCSD's merger into Oxnard and Delmore that came with an interview.  As the camera turns onto me I start speaking.

'For our next news report.  The Sheriff's Department is getting a bit bigger.  At least in areas where they're patrolling more regularly now.  Joining us is Commissioner William Burke with the ERT to explain.  Thank you for joining us tonight Commissioner Burke.'

The hot lights of a stage always feel weird, and it's clear that media suits and dress uniforms do not match materials. I should've worn less clothes, god damn I'm going to sweat to death.

'Pleasure as always Kendall.' I smile. 'Over the past year or so the Shiloh County Sheriff has been handling a significant number of calls for service in the cities of Oxnard and Delmore. These areas were primarily patrolled by city police, however with budgetary constraints and and staffing issues the city police were unable to handle call volumes, relying on SCSD for response. This is a normal practice, and hasn't actually resulted in any calls going unanswered. At this time all agencies in the county have mutual aid agreements where if one department has a closer unit, it may be tasked outside of its main area to provide support. The ERT has been coordinating this for, well years. As long as I've been around.

'This merger, what this will do is help reduce some of the management overhead for these departments, as most management functions are already in place at SCSD. Additionally, with our sheriff's detectives, there's going to be less of a need for duplication of services, and more money for officers on the street. The hope is that with this merger we'll have more cars available on the streets to not just answer calls for service, but also provide proactive policing and crime deterrence.'

Even with all my practice, I'll never get used to reading from a teleprompter.

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801