Yáng Xiǎo Lóng Chinese Restaurant

Blackburn

Located on the corner of 7th Street North and Newport Road in Fort Shannon.

authentic-chinese-chinese-food-from-different-prov55797121.jpg

Founded in 1983 by 5th generation Chinese immigrants the Yáng Xiǎo Lóng offers the finest in Chinese dining for eating in, delivery, or take out.   Michelin has rated the place as a 1 star restaurant so you know the food is pretty good.

chinese-take-out-menu-6_n2q5i7.png

• 5 months later...

Killing the siren a block out, and the lights shortly after, I pull around back to park my rig. Times like this I really wish it wasn't bright yellow.

'So, does loud, speeding and forcing your way through traffic beat the newsvan?'

I shift my transmission into park and turn off the engine. 

'And before anyone says anything. This actually is a good bite. Don't you judge me. It actually has a Michelin Star.'

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

The drive over was fast and I certainly did not expect the use of sirens in order to achieve the speed in which he got us here.  If he was trying to impress, well he certainly did impress.

'Yes and with a better smell too.'

Saying with a smile I begin to step out as soon as the car shuts off only to pause as Burke says not to judge.  With a nod to that I set my feet in heels on the ground and hop out of the truck.

'So long as they have a good Chicken Fried Rice meal I'll be good.'

'If they don't, then dinner is on me.' I say with a chuckle. 

'Now, I know we're on a mission to find a more interesting man than me, and it'll be hard, damn near impossible I say, but what about you. What caused you to up and leave your news crew to go on this wild hunt?'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Well what can I say?  The idea of searching for a more interesting man was too much of a sudden impulse of delight that I could not just pass up on.'

I say with a bit of a playful hum in my voice still smiling.

'and if they get upset about me leaving them I'll just tell them I scored a private interview with you to which I'll say that I have discovered you like cats.  Ginger ones.'

Ginger. Cats. I try to hide my shock but I'm sure my face gives me away. I turn that into a smile and catch myself giving her a once over. Okay, we're doing this.

'That sounds like something that is very true about me. An excellent reporter and a brilliant mind. Among other things.'

As we walk up to the counter, I break out a little mandarin after the owner greets us. 

'Will! Hello!'

'下午好! 我会像往常一样,用你最好的东西给我的女朋友一个惊喜'

'很漂亮的小姐姐。'

'也很狡猾。 我们很快就要去看她的猫了。'

'好吧,我会把你的食物准备好带走。'

As the owner turns back to the kitchen, I look over to Kendall with a knowing smile. Mandarin always blows people away. Though finding out that this was just to ensure I got the best food at the best chinese place in town, it might not be as interesting. 

'So Lin-chi is getting our food to go, because I have somewhere that's a little more interesting to eat it, even though here is pretty nice. Even the most interesting man in Shiloh can't get the health department to allow cats in a restaurant.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

As the Commish breaks out the Mandarin language I smile quietly as I stand next to him.  Seems he wants to impress and it is working but I try not to show it as I want him to work a little more.  Then he tells me we're getting the food to go so as to eat elsewhere and I raise an eyebrow.

'Well, right, I suppose not.  So elsewhere then?'

'I know this quaint little place, overlooks the bay. Excellent little spot for lunch and getting to know each other.'

When Lin-chi comes out, our food is attractively wrapped and he passes it out with a little bow. I return it graciously, accept the bag and turn back towards Kendall.

'Unless you'd rather take in the atmosphere here. It's just there isn't many more people here, so I figured if we head to my next location you'll have a better view to find someone more interesting than me.;'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Well I suppose that's makes sense'

Looking around the place it certainly has a nice atmosphere and the people seem nice.  However going somewhere else to eat sounds like a good idea to me.

'Cause as lovely as these people may be I guess no one here really fits the description we're looking for.'

'Alright, well don't let me slow you down now on that search for someone more interesting. Lead the way. I mean, if a Michelin star restaurant can't your interest, I must try harder.'

I hold my arm and the food out while I follow Kendall from behind. Don't stare. Don't stare. Don't stare. Damnit I stared.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

I'm staring and I'm going to hell. As we get to the car door, I catch her standing, waiting for me to open it. Alright then. I'll play. I reach around and open the door, being sure to watch her climb in and safely get her feet out of the way of the jamb before closing the door and making my way around to the other side. 

'Don't worry, we're fairly close now, so it won't be long before we can dig in.'

*continue in streets*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801