Office of the Commissioner

W. Burke

• 2 weeks later...

*Returning from the presser for SCFD's newest engine, I see an email from my favourite of the fire chiefs in the county. Addressed to me, copying the liaison officer for county fires, I open the email.*

to: wburke@scert.gov
cc: fire@scert.gov
Subject: Needed Engine

Burke,

We've been struggling in Kimberly for a long time for units. I was very disappointed to see that you had an announcement today for the well funded county dept, and our truck is well on 30 years old. We run many calls, and we keep our citizens safe! We need so much help from our citizens, but they just can't give. We are the hometown heroes, it's not just a slogan. I'm writing to request that we are your next department to be issued an engine, we need it. 

Chief Michael M J Mathers
Kimberly VOLUNTEER Fire Rescue 
We fight what you fear, for free. The Real Hometown Heroes. 

*Reading the email, I get a laugh. His signature claims more than any self respecting first responder would taunt. I take a deep breath and respond.*

Chief Mathers, 

As I'm sure Lieutenant Hanson can explain for you if you have questions, the SCERT works with all agencies to help fund vital equipment. There is a request form you can fill out, detailing the need and your financial ability to support. We will review it and aid as best we can. I've attached the form, but ask that you please keep all correspondence around this issue with Lt. Hanson, as agency financial support is directed by the office of the county agency liaisons. 

Thanks,

William Burke
Commissioner, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Department Contact information*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

• 5 weeks later...

*Coming back from a rather pleasant interview, my day didn't go over as well. Hearing a hit piece being talked about on the radio by practically every station, I really wonder what the actual fuck the sheriffs have been doing lately. I get back to the ERT, park and head right to my office. Before checking my messages, I call intercom to the shift supervisor at 911.*

"911 Supervisor"

'This is Burke, who was in charge on the labour fuck up?'

'Russo was the ranking officer.' He answers, without so much as a moment's hesitation, he knew I'd be calling.

'Thank you.' I hang up, and take a moment to breathe and get ready to tear Zach a new one. He knows better. Hell he was one of us. 

*I decide I should calm down before calling him, so I start to cycle through my emails and messages. Maybe there's better news in there. I scroll through the subjects and senders to see if there's anything in particular from someone to make me more pleasant and less angry.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*Looking out my window, I hear a lawn mower. What the fuck. It's February.

*I pick up my phone and call the front desk.*

'Hi, yes, can you go out and see what the hell he's doing? It's snowy out. Why does he have a lawn mower? Yes, thank you.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

I see the reception lady come running out. She look confused at what I am doing. 

"Sir! Sir! What are you doing? There's no lawn to mow, there's snow everywhere!"

I look at her and pull the PTO switch that turns on the PTO accessory, which is an under mounted snowblower. I start to blow the sidewalks off per the work request the boss man gave me. 

spacer.png

Pablo Hernandez
SCPW Employee

*I look out the window and see the receptionist trying, despite mounting odds, to talk some sense into him. No luck. Before I know it, she starts clearing snow. Whatever, leave him be I guess. He'll do no harm.*

Shirley, leave him. There's no hope anyways. I text the receptionist

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 4 weeks later...

*I type up an email to the ERT and send it off.*

"Good evening,

I am looking for any information that can be released concerning the events that transpired tonight at Kimberly Lumber Mill. Can the rumors of the death of a KVFR firefighter be confirmed? Can you confirm that ERT Director Burke responded to the scene and directly seized command from Chief Mathers? Can you confirm rumors that KVFR is being investigated for mismanagement, malpractice, and dangerously unsafe work environments? Can you speculate as to the future of Kimberly Volunteer Fire-Rescue?

Sean Franklin

Investigative Reporter"

Sean Franklin

*I see Franklin's email, but ignore it and decide to deal with it when I get into the office in the morning. *

"Hi Sean,

At this time, I cannot release any information regarding the rumours of a line of duty death. As per protocol, in the event of a line of duty death, the family must first be notified, and then the department of the deceased will issue a media release notifying all agencies of a line of duty death. I can confirm that there were two firefighters who sustained injuries, and were transported to the hospital. 

I can confirm that I was on scene of the fire, and I did assume command of the scene upon arrival. It is practice for the ERT to be the commanding agency and coordinate with mutual aid responses like this. I've attached the county mutual aid policy brief, including the policy statement of a joint command team. Upon arrival, I assumed incident command, with Kimberley and Shiloh County Fire departments sharing management roles.

As with all fires, there will be an investigation. The ERT cannot confirm any active investigations that may or may not be in progress. Saratoga OHS responded as this was considered a workplace incident for the injured firefighters and are investigating as per the Workplace Safety Act. 

The ERT maintains its commitment to ensure all citizens of Shiloh County have the best emergency services possible. We will continue to work towards this goal on a daily basis. "

*What a fucking shit show this is going to turn in to.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*Sitting down at my desk, I see the emails already streaming in. Angry citizens calling the Mayor, the Mayor calling us, everyone wants to eat the Kimberley Fire volunteers alive. I can't say I blame them. Looking through the emails, I see one from the man who's been handling this for me, the fire liaison. 

Commissioner,

As requested, I've got the meeting scheduled with Chief Eveland, and the Mayor at 13:00, at 14:30, we're scheduled to meet with the County Board. Everything looks like it's ready to go, just need the official sign off on the interim funding, which we should get no trouble after we meeting.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 2 weeks later...

*After the meetings, it's clear that KVFR is soon to be no more. The ERT will be assuming control of it to make sure that the transition to the SCFD is seamless and won't be too hard. I know that it's going to be an ongoing issue, and probably today's interactions with Mathers will be less than stellar. Apparently the town didn't get a resounding call of support from him when they told him they wanted to amalgamate.*

"Hi, yes, it's Will. Are you available to head over to Kimberley with me still? Okay. I'll meet you there."

*After confirming with the chief he'll meet me there, I head out to my truck to start the long drive to Kimberley. We'll be meeting the town's mayor, and probably, if I know my luck, Mathers, to hopefully take control of the fire station today.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 3 weeks later...

*Using my prox card I buzz my way into ERT. Walking up to Burke's office. I see his assistant at her desk.*

'Hey, Is Burke in. I don't have an appointment but he knows who I am.'

*She gives me a nod and dials his extension on her phone*

'Commissioner, There's someone from the sheriff's office to see you'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

'Zach, good, I just got the keys to a bright yellow pickup, and I was looking for an officer who loves yellow. What can I do for you?'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I chuckle a bit as I walk into Burkes office.*

'Yellow isn't my color but as long as its not that Nissan.'

*I sit down.*

'So I want to talk to you about that mustang my detectives seized a few months back.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Ah, the orange one. Real shame it's been sitting in the parking lot collecting dust and snow.'

*I never knew Orange was Russo's color.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Yeah, I was thinking we could get some use out of it. Its a little loud for my taste but with the recent budget cuts we could save a lot of money using that one instead of buying a new traffic unit. infact if we leave it unmarked we could upfit it for less then 2 grand and use it as an aggressive driver enforcement unit and make our money back in a few weeks. And if there's any mechanical problems we can strip it and auction it off.'

*I give Burke a smirk.*

'You remember when traffic had the mustangs back in the 90s. They were great for PR and recruitment.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'And after that shit show of an accident, you're going to need to bulk up the Traffic division. I'm thinking at least 3 more deputies in their list of people. It's just not enough right now, we need a visible presence. I'll meet with the staff here to go through the paperwork and you won't see the Mustang in service right away, but I can't see why we can't have that in service by next month some time. And that brings me to the next thing. I need to make sure you've got a heavy presence in service next shift. Do you have names for a traffic division transfer?'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'I've got the new guy Dempsey. He mentioned that he is taking DRE class in the next month or 2. So he'll be a good fit maybe we can get him in CI sooner or later. I heard of a few people moving to B shift so I will figure out whos going to be in traffic.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

• 6 months later...

*I see the notification that Hawke had arrived. I respond back with a quick message.*

'Send her in.'

*As she comes in, I nod towards the seat at my desk.*

'Deputy. I wanted to have this little, off the books, chat with you after a couple messages I received from you. I know you were on some pretty heavy medications after your injury and I want to make sure everything is okay. You sent some, rather concerning messages to me.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*Being told to head in I enter Burke's office and take a seat that he indicates me to sit in.  He then brings up some text messages that I sent him that were concerning to him.  Vaguely remember that night but it was roughly a month ago and by now I had forgotten them after deleting the chats from my phone.  Fuck those were embarrassing.*

'Yes, everything is fine.  Just a little bored at home now with nothing to do and I can't think of anything I want to do outside of my house.  Well, that's just a recent development with having too much time off.  Didn't send those messages out of boredom I was just loopy from the painkiller meds and I do apologize for those texts.'

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1504

• 2 weeks later...

*After a little conversation, I start to make my way back to the desk. Once I actually sit down, I realize it's not exactly clear she's free to go.*

'Well, I'm glad you're doing okay now, but I generally only get texts from those who need me for work, and friends. Obviously it wasn't work related, so maybe we'll just keep things, work related going forward.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 1 month later...

*Motherfucker. I can't ever have a good holiday can I? I read the report over once more, and decide it's to be dealt with immediately.*

'Jennifer, get me Captain Russo, in my office. Immediately. Unless the sheriff himself is taking fire, tell him he's got twenty minutes to get here.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801