Apparatus Garage, Helipad and Store Rooms

ERT-RPG

Located on the main floor, the ERT apparatus garage houses many of the team's large response vehicles, as well as some other equipment. Reinforced in nature, and elevated in height, the garage also supports the helipad, which serves as a landing point for ERT Helo-1. Although capable of landing helicopters, the ERT does not maintain a regular base for helicopters, and serves only as a landing/staging pad. On sides of the garage not used for egress, there are store rooms for various equipment, such as medical, janitorial or mechanical. The helicopter has a similar storage room. 

Walking downstairs into the apparatus floor the smell changes, just enough to be noticeable. There is good ventilation, you can't smell anything in the building, but within the garage itself, you smell the cold metal and concrete, as well as the vehicle fumes, despite the majority of these vehicles not moving often. 

"Alright, in here is the majority of our larger response vehicles.  Each unit has a plug port to keep them charged up if we need them. I can run you through what the units are and then you can ask any questions?"

"The big yellow bus here is the mass casualty unit, basically an ambulance in bus form. The SUV over there is the old SUV for me, they're refitting it for general use, but right now, that doesn't go anywhere, This one here is the main command post we use, that's one of the sat uplink vehicles, those two are the smaller command posts, that's our transport bus, that van and trailer belong to SAR, the white trailer is a hazmat, the utility is also SAR, and then that one with the star of life is the tactical medics. Haven't had to use it yet thankfully." Turning around I look and see the last couple "That's one of our two transport trucks, and the yellow pickup there with the cap is like a mobile cafeteria. And the blue one is the active shooter task force truck. There's a bunch more staff cars, but they don't usually go in here."

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*The commissioner guides us down to the cavernous garage and starts going over the vehicles.*

'During my internship will I be trained on how to operate these? While I'm here I want to get as much training and certifications I can'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

ERT Emergency Response Intern

CFU School of Public Affairs

'Absolutely, there's an EVO theory course, it's a couple hours, they basically go over the laws duty of care regulations, as well as the expectations for us here at the county. The bulk of our equipment you can legally drive today, with the exception of a couple of the larger rigs, they're air brake endorsements only, so that's between you and the DMV. I can get you in with the EPP division, get you started on the EVO course, and have them take you out for a drive in one of the bigger trucks, otherwise it's just like a regular car, but with a few extra buttons. Given the nature of our job though, driving emergency traffic makes a very small portion of our work. For every hour you spend with lights and sirens, you'll spend three actually in the field working, at least. 

'Would you like to see anything else down here or head over to the bullpen where most of your work will be ?'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Would you like to see anything else down here or head over to the bullpen where most of your work will be ?'

'We can head upstairs, Can I get any more certifications during my internship here?'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

"That depends on how much time you're willing to devote to learning. We can certify you on 911 comms, get you in on calls, dispatching and scene management, put you out with some of our tech teams and get your papers there as well. SAR is mostly volunteers, and they meet once a week, over three separate nights, depending on the teams. Ground SAR has a quick training program, they can certify you as a basic within I think 4 hours? Full tech is a week long course, but they usually do it over a couple weekends. USAR meets the next evening, they do more of the tech rescue in confined spaces, along NFPA standards. If you want to go in with them, that's a little more intensive, but those certificates are good in a lot of places. Evidence SAR, pending sign off from the SD, you can get in on that once you've got a basic GSAR certificate. So that's 3 certificates you could earn within a month there, GSAR Basic Operations, Urban SAR Ops and Evidence Search Technician. If you wanted to start the process, you could get in on the tech levels for each, but that's probably going to eat up more time than you have. 

"I know you did your ICS/NIMS 100 before getting hired, but EPP can have you in up to the 400 level to you can earn our IC Manager certificate, and also get you a sign off as a safety officer. I wouldn't hold out on getting the papers for HAZMAT officer though, that's not something we train in house for, but I cna certainly get you working with them on any calls. We have a shooter training coming up with Shiloh SWAT next week, I believe they prep Monday for Tuesday training, if you wanted to book in with the ASTF for that day and sign off on that operations. There isn't a certificate per se, but you can't really beat out the hands on experience. 

"If you're willing to take on call work, I can have you put in on the notification roster for after hours emergencies. Generally we'll give the members assigned on call an emergency vehicle to take home, allowing them to respond directly if needed, but that's not something we'd be able to do in your case. You'd have to report to headquarters in your own vehicle, but if it is something you'd be interested in taking on, this can help get some extra knowledge and may get you in with other training opportunities. "

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Honestly I would like to make the most of my internship so sign me up for as much as you can. This all sounds excellent. I know you don't normally have interns here but is there any chance of this translating to a fulltime position here?'

*I say a little awkwardly, before turning to him and locking eyes again.*

'I really appreciate the opportunities your giving me.'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

As she locks eyes with me, I make a note to call Kendall tonight, for sure. 

'Well, this is all uncharted territory. If things work out well, we can certainly look at keeping you with us.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Well, this is all uncharted territory. If things work out well, we can certainly look at keeping you with us.'

*I continue looking at him in the eye*

'I would really like that.'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

"Well, if you'll come with me I'll bring you over to the bull pen then and get you introduced to some of the crew that'll be who you're going out with."

And then when you're handed over, I can go text Kendall.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801