Questionable Deputies

C. Aylward

X2 Sheriffs Units respond to POSSIBLE POLICE IMPERSONATORS. SOUTH 9TH AND BROAD IN FORT SHANNON

*The 911 line rings*

"911 Wheres your emergency?"

"I'm at the 24/7 Mart on Broad street and South 9th."

"Whats the emergency?"

"Theres these 2 guy 2 here and they're saying they're cops, Saying they have to seize everything in the cash register as evidence."

"And the issue is?"

"I don't think he's a cop. My coworker is talking to him now and I told him I had to call the owner but they don't act like cops. They showed badges but they don't match and they look fake."

'What do they look like?'

'Both guys in there 20s One's wearing a tank top and jeans. The other is wearing gray camo shorts and a black t shirt. Ones black ones spanish. Both have guns and handcuffs.'

'Do they have radios? I can try and verify them if they do?'

'No.'

'I'm going to send Uniformed officers to verify them.'

**SD radio**

"I need a unit to go to the 24/7 Mart on Broad and South 9th to for 2 men claiming to be Police Officers trying to Seize money in the register"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

I approach the scene, being a block away. I now completely deactivate all of my ELS, as I pull in around the corner from the mart, being unable to be seen from inside the store. 

I take the PTT, holding onto it as I speak. "201, show me on-scene."

I open the door slowly, stepping out as I proceed to close it, keeping my hands on my duty belt as I think about my approach (this won't take too long).

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2044

*I pull up behind 201. No other cars in the area that could be a department vehicle. I step out* 

"215 is out with 201."

*Walking up to Allen.*

'So are going to go?'

*I say as I walk past him*

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

'Yeah.' He said as he walked along with Caldwell, walking up to the entrance as he takes a brief look inside the store.

The two men are inside the store, speaking to the cashier. Only one has their gun visible, keeping it lowered. The weapon in question was a S&W Model 10.

He unholstered his service pistol, the automatic door opening due to the motion sensor connecting to it - however they did not notice.

'Got me covered?' He turned his head over to Caldwell.

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

'Put your fucking gun away. Were going to go in there and talk to them. As far as I know these may still be legitimate cops. In addition there are two civilians in there who are in your direct line of fire.'

*I shake my head at him as I push past. I walk in and the radio crackles a bit. They two "Officers" hear and turn their heads. The one with the gun reholsters quickly but fails to hide his badge on his belt. It looks fake. The two impersonators are nervous*

'So whats going on?'

Clerk: 'Well uh, These officers here were claiming that the needed to seize the money in our register for evidence'

*I turn to the Deputies*

'This true? Where do you guys work?'

'Sheriff's office.'

'That doesnt look like one of our badges.'

*I say as he tries to conceal it.*

'Were on the taskforce for narcotics so they gave us county wide badges. We were in the process of shutting down this drug front'

The other guy says as he tries to conceal his badge

'I never heard of anything called countywide badges and it doesn't make sense as we already have countywide jurisdiction. Look our lieutenant should be here any second, He should be able to verify you guys. If your saying who you say you are then you can continue your operations.'

*Looking at Allen.*

'Stay with them a second.'

*I walk back but keep an eye on both of them.*

"215 to 200. These guys are claiming to be Narcotics task force. Can I get an ETA on you?"

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

"215 to 200. These guys are claiming to be Narcotics task force. Can I get an ETA on you?"

Hearing 215 on the radio I look for the nearest street sign to get my position.

"200, 215, ETA 2 minutes"

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*I walk back to the perps and Allen.*

'200 will be here in a sec.'

*Turning back to the perps.*

'You got any ID. Department or otherwise?'

'We left it in the car.'

'Where's your car?'

*They look at each other.*

'Alright, Are you guys actually cops.'

*I know the answer, They know the answer. I'm giving them a chance to come clean.*

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

Pulling up on scene I park 200 behind 215 and get out.  As I walk to the entrance of the store I key up the mic.

"200 on scene"

Entering the store I walk up behind Caldwell as he is questions the two suspects.

Caldwell asks as I remain quiet behind him.  Might as well let these two give their reply before I chime in on this.

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

(missed a lot, my bad)

I went along, holstering my gun as I went in the store and just listened in. 

'Yes sir, we're a lia..liaision.. from the State Police to the Sheriff's Office. Working here temporaril..ey'  The tanktop perp had some clearly broken english.

'What's your badge number, then? Division, post, troop, anything of the sort.'

'We have no badge number or troop, we work directly with the Sheriff.' The other perp said, placing his shirt over his badge as to cover it.

I turned my head over to Caldwell, giving him one of those sarcastic faces. I then looked back.

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

Hearing the two suspect's reply I give both Caldwell and Allen a look as well as a nod to indicate that I want them detained now.  Basically I've heard enough by now and these two should have been in cuffs several seconds ago when they had the chance to come clean but didn't.  We can figure this all out at the station should their bogus explanation even be remotely true.

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*The Lieutenant gives me a nod to cuff these guys.*

'Look, This looks really bad. Like really bad...'

*I subtly grab my cuffs.*

'So what were going to do is take this matter down to the station and you can contact your supervisor to verify you. If you are who you say you are then cool, After we get off we can go out for a beer after shift. But due to how weird this is were going to need to cuff you.'

*I walk over to the first guy as Allen follows me and starts cuffing his guy. I Cuff my guy behind his back and begin to search him. I find a wallet in his pocket and a High point 9MM in his holster. I look at the badge on his belt. It reads "Maverick Security"*

'So did you really think this was going to work?'

'What do you mean?'

'Your badge says Security on it dipshit'

'It worked all the other times'

Fuck it, That was recorded and the detectives can talk to these guys

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

As Caldwell and Allen get these two bogus cops in cuffs I watch as they search them.  Caldwell has a bit of a conversation with his perp as I gather up the found evidence against these two.  We then leave the store and walk them to our units where I place the evidence in the back of 200.

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

As 215 takes off I watch as Allen places his perp into the back of 201.  Hearing 201 over the radio clear himself as he heads back to the station I get back in the driver's seat of 200.

"200, clear, returning to staton"

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321