Residential Silent Alarm

M. Price

((2-4 Patrol Deputies, Residential Silent Alarm, 879 Sixteenth Street North, Fort Shannon.  Time: 13:57))

Just coming back after lunch when another call comes in.

'911, where's your emergency?'

'This is the Pridwen Security Company.  We have a silent alarm going off at the address of one of our customers'

'Alright and where is this address?'

'879 Sixteenth Street North, Fort Shannon.'

'and you verified that the owner did not trip this alarm?'

'Yes, we verified that moments before contacting you.'

'Ok, I will dispatch some deputies to investigate this matter'

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

Sigh. I guess this will do. I'll take it.

"ERT, show 204 on the way to 879 North 16th. Any further info?" I ask, turning my unit in the general direction and fumbling in the civic number into the GPS to guide me.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Why do I even bother?

"Yeah, 204 copies."

I cradle my mic again and turn the radio up, continuing along. Google says I arrive in 4 minutes, meaning I'm definitely not rushing. Probably just another person wanting to test their alarm.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

I pull into the curb in front of the residence and size up. No cars parked on the road, one in the driveway, its tires lining up almost perfectly with the 4 indentations in the pavement. A cheap job for paving, or an overloaded car. Nothing out of the ordinary so far. A quick visual survey, nothing seems out of sorts with the entry points, and no signs of struggle, intruder, or other obvious cause. 

"ERT, 204 on scene, nothing of concern yet, will investigate and advise. There's a car in the drive."

I get out of the car, bending down and reaching across the seat to grab my cap before placing it on my head and standing back up. Walking slowly to the front, I opt to do a 360, or as best as I can, before knocking on the door. Silent alarms could indicate something. Best to make sure they didn't take the back door. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"220 Patrol supervisor. Show me going and advise responding units no lights no siren. Give the alarm company a callback and see if theres any specific location for the alarm. if we can get an additional and possibly have K9 respond"

*I start driving over there, quickly but not too fast*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2049

"213 is en route."

I start heading that way, taking it nice and easy. Silent alarm. Hopefully it was bull. I hated alarms. Run around and look for absolutely nothing. There was never anything. Always a false alarm.

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

"ERT, 220, Company reports the alarm is originating from the master bedroom"

"10-4."

Master bedroom, If its on the first floor it could be something but will most likely be nothing.

"First unit to arrive give me a size up"

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

Completing my 360, I key my mic. "220, 204, nothing showing on 360. No signs of entry. There's a bedroom visible from the first floor, but I'm not seeing anything. Unable to determine if there's any distress on the second floor. There's definitely someone home. Looks like 205 just showed up."

"205 on scene." 

"Hey, found anything so far."

I shake my head. "Nothing, but we should knock. No obvious signs of entry or distress, someone is definitely home though."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*I get back in my car hearing all of the radio chatter about a flipped Fire rig I open my computer and look at the CAD log. I read the comments on the silent alarm call.*

'We'll a dog would be better use there than directing traffic for god knows how long.' *I say aloud to myself while Kilo lays in the floor in the back*

*I put my car in drive and key the radio*

"232 enroute"

*I arrive on scene and see two other Deputies on scene, I get out leaving the dog in the car and walk towards them*

'Whats up fellas anything so far?'

sd230dep.png

Deputy John Jones
Unit 232

Badge 1402

*Hearing some one arrive I turn around and see another deputy exiting his vehicle. I walk over to the group again after having seen nothing else then emptiness I’m the rooms.* ‘Hey. Nothing so far. Rooms seem empty.’

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Deputy Darius McMillan
Unit unassigned

Badge 2207

'About a handful of deputies hmming and hawing. Other than that. Nada. No sign of anything. There might be an alarm on the master, which I'm betting is upstairs, so I say we park someone around back, and then bang on the door and say hello?' I offer with a shrug 'Beyond that, not much else we can really do. No probable cause to kick down the door, and if misses is getting her rocks off with her boyfriend and her hand slipped, I'd say one of us is more likely to be shot than the other way around. So who wants to play catcher out back?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

I pull up behind the supervisor, still wondering why he had asked for another car. A bullshit alarm is all this is. Why are we even here? Just a waste of our time and resources.

"213 on scene."

I hop out and amble over to the gaggle of deputies just in time to hear Wagner ask for a volunteer to stand out back.

'I'll do it, I got the back.'

A good excuse to stand around, watching the back door. I make my way around the back of the house, keeping an eye out.

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*As Jerry puts together a solid plan I go along with it. Being the Sergeant I decide to take point and walk up to the door standing off to the side.*

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

'SHILOH COUNTY SHERIFF, WE KNOW YOUR IN THERE OPEN UP.'

*I hear movement coming from inside the house. Assuming the alarm company did their due diligence and called the homeowners to confirm that there should be nobody home at the minimum someone has some explaining to do.*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

'I'll get the dog and go to the back with O'Reilly for runner control.'

*I watch as the Sgt and two other Deputies walk to the front door. I go to my car and open the back door as Kilo greets me prancing. I clip his leash to him and let him hop out shutting the door behind him. I start off to the back of the house letting the dog semi-lead the way sniffing and peeing on random things.*

sd230dep.png

Deputy John Jones
Unit 232

Badge 1402

Waiting a minute for someone to come to the door, I check the handle and it turns freely. 

'Sarge, it's unlocked.'

Moving back out of the way, I wait for him to make the call on probable cause to enter. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Sarge, it's unlocked.'

'Homeowners confirmed that their not home and nobody should be in there. I think that's enough PC to enter.'

*I open the door fully as I draw my gun.*

'Sheriff's department! Call out if there's anyone in here.'

*I enter the nicely furnished living room with my guys following behind me.*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

'SHERIFF!' I call out, following the sergeant in, and flanking his other side. 'Make yourself known!'

I hear a crash of glass upstairs and some shuffling.

"We've got movement upstairs. Ready for runners" I call on the radio as we turn towards the staircase ready for a chase.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png