Fatal Traffic Accident - SCFD Involved

H. Goodricht

The investigative thread for the Fatal Traffic Accident involving SCFD Ladder 14 while returning from the scene of a structure fire in South Fort Shannon. 

This thread will be for detectives to conduct interviews, investigate the scene and play out the investigation. This thread is time warped, initially from the departure of the final body from the scene, however continues for the month until the current shift in progress, taking place on Oct 30th. 

List of injuries and observations from scene:

Fatality: Lt. Nick White, ejected unrestrained from vehicle during roll over, head crushed by frame of truck, instantly killed. 
Severe Injuries: Firefighter Harry Brook - Ejected unrestrained driver, found unresponsive on ashphalt ahead of truck, worked on, on scene, remaining in coma at hospital at this time. 
Firefighter Paramedic Jimmy Schuler - Restrained passenger, rear seat, passenger's side, rear facing, temporarily paralysis caused by swelling, conscious
Firefighter Jason Hill - Restrained passenger, rear seat, driver's side, rear facing, unconscious at transport, still unconscious at hospital at this time. 

Vehicle damage noted: Damaged tire front passenger's side, totally missing from rim. Hole in windshield on driver's side. Other damage caused by rescue operations

Detectives: General Investigations Unit, aided by traffic division Collision Investigators

Pulling up on scene, I see the large arrangement of firefighters around an ambulance, but no urgency. This must be the makeshift hearse. I park my unmarked behind some chief vehicle, it's unmarked, but not one of ours. 

"ERT, This is Poole, I'm going to be on scene with traffic, starting interviews."

This is the chance to grab the firefighters before anyone leaves and interview to see what they've seen, and build an idea. Two ejected firefighters, one dead, one nearly. To me that says there's at least two people not wearing belts, or worse the belts the department put in are substandard. 

As I step out of the car, I walk around to the back seat, pull out the notepad out of my bag, and a sheriff windbreaker. Even with my sweater, it's still too cold to stand around with nothing on my arms. I don't know how anyone could. 

I walk over to one of the fire trucks that looks in service and approach the crew standing outside of the vehicle. 

detchargerbluedet.png
Detective Lester Poole
Unit 303

Shiloh County Sheriff Department General Investigations Unit
Badge 2208

"302 on scene"

Parking behind 303 I just sit in my car as I bite into an apple that I plan to finish before getting out.  Though I am not doing nothing but eating an apple as I sit in the driver's seat of 302.  I'm scanning the scene as best I can to get an assessment of my surroundings.  Fire Department Ladder truck on it's side with burn marks at the rear.  Seems something caught fire.  Scratches and skid marks in the road leading to the wreckage.  Could mean something but doesn't necessarily mean the Ladder was speeding.  The cab of the ladder a mess as expected of a crash scene where the Fire Department had to do an extraction.  Finishing my apple I crack open the door and exit the vehicle.  Tossing the core into a nearby trash can I walk up to the wreckage and have a look around.  What a piece of junk this apparatus has become I think to myself as I kick it like I was inspecting it.  Spotting another detective interviewing firefighters I decide to walk up to him and listen in.

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Shiloh County Sheriff Department Detective
Badge 1504

Finishing a quick chat with one of the firefighters from a rescue, I notice Morris come over. 

"Hey Emily. I've been speaking with the Rescue crew so far, I was thinking we grab everyone's statements, try to build a picture while CI does their work figuring out how the ladder ended up on its side? Did you want to take the other crews and I'll meet you when I finish up, or?"

detchargerbluedet.png
Detective Lester Poole
Unit 303

Badge 2208

'No, that sounds good for a start.  I'll go see what that crew over there has to say.'

I respond while pointing at another crew standing around unsure of what station they belong to as I'm not paying that much attention.

'Do we know the history of the crashed Ladder or is that for CI to figure out?'

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Badge 1504

'From what I've got so far, the ladder is actually 94, or 91 or something, not 14. It's a spare unit. Fire keeps the same radio callsign, regardless of what the truck is. This thing has been around for like 20 years? Spends most of the time in the back of some station, collecting dust. Just back from a structure fire. Not sure if they're related, we're waiting for CI to figure it out.'

Waiting for a response, I look towards the twisted metal that once was a fire truck.

detchargerbluedet.png
Detective Lester Poole
Unit 303

Badge 2208

'There's a guy in a white shirt over there. Or over there. I doubt anyone that looks like they work would know. One of the chiefs should be able to at least get it. I'm not sure. Want me to go check it out and you take the ladder crew? Rescue said they were inside with them. In fact, they were in the compartment first, maybe give you some insight.'

Waiting for the response, I start to pick which white shirt I'd harass to earn the least amount of shit. Pickings look pretty slim, the higher I go, the more likely they'll be criminally liable for any maintenance not done, the lower I go, the less helpful, and more importantly, more touchy they'll be. 

detchargerbluedet.png
Detective Lester Poole
Unit 303

Badge 2208

'Yeah, I'll go talk with them.'

Splitting up I go look for the ladder crew.  Not sure what they'll have to contribute to the investigation but we'll find out.  Maybe nothing, maybe something.

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Badge 1504

Looking at the detectives as they split, I figure they're coming to interview us. I stand back up off the bumper of the ladder and walk towards the detective.

"Lt. Noel." I say, extending my hand.

Cute, handcuffs can be fun, but the gun isn't really my type.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

Well finding someone from the ladder crew is pretty damn easy when they come to you.

'Detective Morris'

Shaking the Fire Lieutenant's hand to finalize the greeting I pull out my notepad and pen once it's over.

'To start can you give me a size up of how things looked when you arrived and as you were working?'

Figuring I'll start with this question and ask questions based on her replies to it.

detfordblackdet.png

Detective Emily Morris
Unit 302

Badge 1504

'To start can you give me a size up of how things looked when you arrived and as you were working?'

'When we pulled up, we were the second truck on scene, but only by a couple seconds. Everyone came out of the same station, so we all arrived at once. The ladder was on its side, as it is now, but without any roof damage or stabilization. The windshield on the driver's side was damaged, consistent with an ejection, and a firefighter was laying on the ground, about 6-8 feet in front of the ladder truck. The Engine took command of the scene and on size up determined there was a small fire in the rear of the vehicle, and tended to that. Ladder and Rescue crews joined together to mount rescue operations on the interior for the remaining firefighters. As we sized up the scene, we determined that the officer for the truck had been partially ejected and crushed by the truck. Brain matter was visible." I pause for a moment. "We made no efforts to save him, it was too late.

"We made entry through the driver's side of the cab, which was on the top of the wreckage, and the rescue crew started in on the roof section of the vehicle. Upon entry, we had two restrained firefighters, one showing signs of paralysis, and one unconscious and unresponsive."

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001