Rescue from Height

A. Tai

LADDER 1 RESPOND TO HARBOR PARK AMPTHEATRE, RESUCE AT HEIGHT. LADDER 1, HARBOR PARK AMPITHEATRE, RESCUE AT HEIGHT. 

Caller reporting friend stuck on rafters, dangling by their belt, approx 20 feet over stage. Request immediate assistance, no apparent injuries. 

"911 Where is your emergency?"

"The ampitheatre!"

Looking over to the ALI, I see they're in Harbor Park. I don't know how dispatchers managed people before this kind of tool. "Okay, in Harbor Park" Uhuh "Tell me exactly what's happening."

"We were just fooling around, we were going to set up a prank for Halloween, and something spooked George, he's dangling now!"

"Okay, can you see George? Is he hurt?"

"No, he's just stuck!" 

"What's he stuck on?"

"He was on the rafters, it looks like there's a peg or something his belt is stuck on, he's just dangling there now by his belt. But like, it's 20 feet, if he falls he's going to be hurt, real bad!"

"The fire  department is on the way now, tell George to stay calm and stay still..."

EDIT: Time of Dispatch 11:42AM

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

Sitting at the desk in the officer's quarters trying to go over my notes before the next captain's exam, I hear the toner go off. LADDER 1 immediately grabs my attention and I save my work, scribbling the page down on a scrap of paper near the computer, just in case, and then make a light jog to the pole and slide down to the floor. I don't care what anyone says, this is my favorite part of being at this station. 

I climb into my boots, pull my bunker pants up and over my shoulders, and then pull on the coat, not so much for anything more than warmth. Looking over my shoulder, I see the rest of the crew coming out not far behind me, some already geared up. As the bay door opens, I walk back to the side pocket and check to make sure we've got our high angle stuff, just in case. We do. I guess the checks this morning were done right. 

Climbing into the officer's seat, I sigh a little, thinking how I almost got a shift not having to be the one in charge. Putting my headset on, I buckle in and wait for the last door to close.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

As the ladder pulls out the door, I listen to the siren wind up and key the microphone on the radio.

"Ladder 1, we're en route."

Turning back to the crew, I speak into the intercom, "When we get there, I want a ground ladder to the rafters, and let's get someone underneath, in case he comes off. Looks like he's dangling by his pants, so I wouldn't bank he'll even be up there when we get there. I think it's about 20ft. Actually, let's get two ladders.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001