Non Emergent Extrication - Coroner Request

C. Aylward

SQUAD 1. NON EMERGENT EXTRICATION. SHILOH COUNTY CORONER'S OFFICE

"County Communications"

*I say as the non emergent line rings.*

'This is investigator Chorzepa with the County Coroners office, We have an MVA with a fatality that due location Arcadia PD has asked us to extricate the person at our facility'

'Ok, Ill send someone over. What's the address?'

'We have our building on the campus of county general hospital.'

'I'll send them now. It may take a few minutes since I'm sending them as non emergent'

'No problem, Thanks'

*I hit the tones for Squad 1*

"Squad 1 for the Non emergent extrication with fatality, Meet with the County Coroner at their office at County General Hospital"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

Well, so much for a quiet morning in the new truck. I close the back equipment doors and listen to the tone out. Non emergency extrication at coroner. Hamburger or decomp I wonder. I grab my gear bag and toss it in the back of the truck and climb into the passenger seat as the bay door begins opening.

"ERT, Squad 1 received, we'll be proceeding regular traffic. Do you have a contact person meeting us?"

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

* new year new shift and new ride  i think to myself while i do my daily walk around and inspection when i hear the tones for a non emergency call so i hasten my check of the rig seeing jen climb in and opening the bay doors i manage to duck into the drivers seat before being blasted by the fridge air*  ‘ oh boy our first call of 2023!’ * i say sarcastically as i after climbing in the truck ease into the cold* ‘ i know its non emergent but,want me to run  lights and sirens if only to get there so we can get this overwith, we can do a grocery run on the way back?’

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

"Callers name Was Chorzepa."

'So, that'll be a hard no. Great. I guess we'll wander the hospital until someone meets us. Christ.' 

‘ oh boy our first call of 2023! I know its non emergent but,want me to run  lights and sirens if only to get there so we can get this overwith, we can do a grocery run on the way back?’

'That's going to be a hard no. They're dead. They ain't getting any deader.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*I hang up the phone with the dispatcher as I hear the rumbling of a diesel engine approach. Looking out the window I see a tow truck with a covered load on the back. As I walk outside I put my off duty jacket over my job shirt. Granted its black but the faux fur collar will make it stand out. Whatever its warm. As I walk out I grab a handful of gloves. When I open the door I get hit with a blast of frigid air I walk through the parking lot to the cab of the tow truck. The driver is a scruffy looking guy in his 40s with a beard with what appears to have whats left of his lunch in it*

'Where are we dropping it?'

'We have an evidence yard on the side of the building. Drop it there.'

'This is a little morbid'

'I guess. Probably not in your best interest to look curtain number 1' I say with a slight laugh as I walk away to open the side gate

'You'd be kinda cute if you weren't weird'

*I roll my eyes at this.*

'Yeah I can totally see myself with a tow truck driver. We can talk about what kind of processed cheese in your beard.'

*I hit the button on the side of the building to open the gate. The tow truck driver drops the car and returns with a clipboard.*

'I'm gonna need a signature and maybe your number.'

*He says with a slight grin.*

'I thought I was weird'

*I say as I Write DC 2037 on the clip board. Not wanting to give him my full name because I don't want to end a missing person.*

'What bout your number?'

*I point at the clip board pointing to where I put my badge number.*

'Look I gave you 4.'

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team Coroner's Office
Badge 2037

* my suggestion to just be over and done with this shot down i settle in for whats the suspected job wondering if the guys  unidentifiable, or still will look person like as i continue the slow drive to the hospital* 'what'ed you do for the holidays,i was down south with my older bro and his family for christmas'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'South? I made it all the way to Clinton for a tree. That's technically south of us I guess. A whole lot of entertaining my girlfriend's family. You know how it is with in-laws.'

As we get close to the hospital, I notice a flatbed pulling away. 'Looks like they didn't want to wait for the car to sit long.' I say, as we pass each other.'

"ERT, Squad 1 is arrived at hospital, We'll head around to the back."

'I don't understand why on god's green earth they don't have a warehouse or even a friggin' garage to do this in. Nope, instead let's drop it in a parking lot behind a fence. Totally better. Friggin' coroners.' I say, bundling up myself with the protection of my bunker coat. 

I look around the lot for someone looking like a coroner waiting for us. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*as i pull into the lot i   glance at the temp in the trucks display on the dash and sigh,were freezeing our ass off behind the hospital  as i park i reply to jen*

' my brothers with Military Sealift Command,he lives down in Virginia sorta near newport news,unlike me who went Navy,hes merchant marine,a fully licensed chief engineer,and his wife actually works for the shipyard down there' * i stop the truck and crank the heat preemptivly for our retun after the job as i lower my window scanning for the coroners person* 'this is gonna suck...'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

*As I go back into the building I see a red truck drive into the campus. Since the building is clearly marked and theres a sign with an arrow pointed at us I assume they know where there going. I walk back inside to grab another cup of coffee to warm up. After a few minutes I see their still not here. I pick up the phone and dial the dispatcher back.*

"Hey this is the coroners office again. The fire guys are here but I think they got lost. Can you tell them to look for the gray building next to the utilities building. There are a few vans out front. Just have them come into the lobby"

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Badge 2037

"Hey this is the coroners office again. The fire guys are here but I think they got lost. Can you tell them to look for the gray building next to the utilities building. There are a few vans out front. Just have them come into the lobby"

'Uhh, Ok.'

"County to Squad one its going to be a gray building next to the utilities building. Caller said look for the coroners vans"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

"Yeah, copy that ERT. We've got the building. No one is waiting for us. We'll proceed inside to look for someone."

'No worries, we'll just wander around looking for you. Corpse and car outside. Let's send extrication inside. Hang here for a minute, I'll run inside.'

Climbing out of the truck, I turn the volume on my portal up and get out into the cold. The one nice thing about this run is fire truck means fire lane parking is a-ok. Within ten seconds I'm out of the cold and into the lobby of the building. I see a reception window and a grey steel door. Welcoming. Looking at the receptionist, I nod.

'Hi, we got a call that there's a vehicle in your lot that has someone needing extrication? Dispatch told us someone would meet us, a Chorzepa? Didn't see anyone out front and the gate to the yard is closed. Could you page him and send someone around?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* easeing into the firelane after a lazy lap through the offices parking lot looking for whatever assistant  was supposed to meet us and not seeing one  i sigh upon hearing dispatch call us mostly ignoreing him as jen goes to step out to find somebody* ‘ thank you captian obvious’ i say rolling my eyes at the radio as jens door shuts* ‘ im not goin anywhere till you say, heres hoping this aint a prank call or something’ * i reply throwing the squad in park drumming my fingers on the wheel as i wait*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

*I hear Julie page me over the loudspeaker.*

"Investigator Chorzepa, The fire department is here for you."

*I finish making my coffee and walk up to the reception area. I look at the firefighter standing there.*

'Hi I'm Danielle I'm one of the investigators here. So I asked you to respond because we had a fatality this morning in arcadia. The preliminary report from Sheriff's Collision investigation said the driver lost control on black ice and the 19 year old passenger was pretty much dead on impact due to massive head trauma. Driver was taken across the way to County and had a BAC of .24 I guess when he wakes up in a few hours and finds out he killed his girlfriend and is looking at 15 years his day is going to be slightly better than his girlfriend's and slightly worse than mine when the parents get here to identify her.'

*Realizing ive given a little too much to the firefighter.*

'I got called in for this last night and ended up getting like 2 hours of sleep on the couch. Can I get you a coffee or anything? Are you working alone for this?'

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Badge 2037

The investigator comes out in what I can only assume is standard dress for the coroner's and her dark hair contrasted against her pale skin makes her look more like one of the clients, not the staff. After a long winded explanation, I'm offered a coffee. 

'Sure, if you want to grab a coffee for us, I can go around front, get my partner, and we can pull up to the yard and size up the scene and the best way to extricate. No need to rush, it's not the normal life or death stuff today.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Sure, if you want to grab a coffee for us, I can go around front, get my partner, and we can pull up to the yard and size up the scene and the best way to extricate. No need to rush, it's not the normal life or death stuff today.'

'Coffee stations in the hall you can grab your partner and help yourself. Take your time, I've been slacking on getting the gurney ready. And because of the weather its not like we need to rush to get her in a freezer.'

*I say realizing how dark in front of people who normally don't deal with the dead.*

'I'll go open up the gate.'

*I walk back outside and open the slide gate so the Fire truck can enter. I motion to the driver to bring it through*

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Badge 2037

* im sitting in the squad honestly jamming away a bit when i see some lady  emerge from the gate by what i presume is the yard with our extraction im not sure if jens gonna poke her head out next or what but i kill the local radio station i had on and shift the squad into drive as shes clearly signaling me inside so i slowly pull our squad into the gate she waved from parking as best i can by the inside door where i figure jen would see the rig through the windows but not so close im blocking it or in the way of any other deliverys to the yard opting to sit in the truck for a minute more till either i spot jen, or the lady from the gate knocks on the window ill just take my time pulling my coat and gloves on to look busy as its cold as shit outside and im not in any hurry to step into it*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Coffee stations in the hall you can grab your partner and help yourself. Take your time, I've been slacking on getting the gurney ready. And because of the weather its not like we need to rush to get her in a freezer.'

I guess that wasn't an offer as much as a notification that coffee exist. God she must be a thrill at parties. 

'Sure.'

I decide to go against the coffee, and when I get back outside, I see the squad pulling towards the gate. I follow the squad and  meet up with it as it pulls inside the compound. 

'Let's see where the body is pinned' I say, loud enough for both of them to hear me. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* as i put the squad in park i see jen walking up so i crack my window as i pull my turnout coat and cold weather gear i had brought with me on which is little more then my departm toque and a set of thinsulate lined  work gloves i can put my extracation gloves over  as i step out closeing up my bunker coat* ‘ hopefully this dosent suck to much its cold as shit’ * i say as i close the drivers door waiting to grab tools till we find the car were working on*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

*I open the garage door and go to the gurney I prepared when I got back to the office. I set it up and walk over to the car. I put my gloves on*

'Let's see where the body is pinned'

*I remove the tarp that Arcadia PD put over the car.*

'19 year old female pinned in the passenger seat. There was airbag deployment but it didnt do that much.'

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Badge 2037

*with my lieutenant distracted or frozen i move over to where the coroner went to get eyes on the car,or whats supose to be a car not bothering to guess the make i start trying to size up just what ill needa do*

'poor thing, you had so much life ahead of you..' * i utter perhaps to loudly then for gigs and shigs,try to force whats left of the as of yet un id'ed Sedans door by hand which unsuprisingly fails* 'well.... was worth a shot,ill grab some tools and we'll get her out'* moving back to the squad,i grab a sledgehammer ,a haligan,and a crow bar id rather not needa break out the heavier tools  like the cutters or jaws and head back to the car setting the haligan down i opt to drive the crowbat into the door  i manage to get it somewhat wedged then lean into it,the door creaks a bit* 'hmm gonna be like that huh,ok' * i grab the sledge i pulled off the squad grip it close to the head and useing the curved part of the crow bar like a target tap the thing into the seam of the door,which moves a bit more,folding where the latch connects with the frame* ' it will go,just gotta... percussivly persuade it' * by now ive got a nice gap for my haligan tool,which i slip into where the crow bar was its dawning on me useing the our battery and hydraulic tools woulda been smarter but ill take the workout as its extra warmth*' might want to stand behind me doc,just incase the tool goes flying' * i warn as i square up to my haligan tool with the sledge now two handed i take a slow swing to check my aim,and on my second wind up connect suprisingly cleanly with it,the whole car shudders a bit on whats left of its suspension but the door has widened considerably* 'all'*wham*'most'*wham* 'there!" *wham as the haligan clangs on the pavement the passengers door ,mangled as it is pops free of its latch...and then stops half way and i sigh* ' well;were half way there at least'* i say taking a well deserved break  ill have to be careful to not break into a sweat in this cold hypothermia sucks ass as i take the time to grab both a cutting wheel grinder and our cordless drill set,ill just remove the door  rather then cut * ' have that gurney ready' * i say as i go back to working on the door which by  the time i done the doors bent half way over itself and partially disasembled but its removed from whats left of the poor girls car,useing our hydraulic tools coulda saved time but i opted for a bit of a workout*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

As Dave sizes up the wreck, I chat with the coroner to get some idea of what we're dealing with. 

'So, this is an Arcadia DUI? Since we're not in a rush, is there anything else I should know about the actual situation? Like we're not expecting an errant firearm or anything, right?' 

Before she can answer, I hear a wham from the car, and I turn immediately, noticing Dave going to town on the car to get the victim out. 

'Well, I guess that'll be a hard never mind to that one. Like a bird dog. Give him something to chase, and away he goes.'

The Halligan drops to the ground and he calls out 'Well, we're half way there at least.'

'We? At this point I'm just supervising' I say with a little chuckle. 

'Have a gurney ready'

'I presumed you already knew that much' I say, smiling to the investigator. 'If you want to get any photos or anything for your records before we do the final cuts now and get her out. Now's the chance. I'm going to grab the hydraulics. Unlike boy wonder there, I'm a firm believer of work smarter not harder'

I move to the squad as Dave's taking a breather. 'Alright, let's give the coroner a second to get a few pictures before we remove her. Give me a hand with the spreaders. Let's get them ready to give a little more space to get her out.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

‘Alright, let's give the coroner a second to get a few pictures before we remove her. Give me a hand with the spreaders. Let's get them ready to give a little more space to get her out.' * as im collecting my tools i hear jen mention the spreaders while there easier they take a bit to normally set up  but upon seeing the dash of the car now that ive removed the door it seems we’ll need themfor the rest due to lack of access from the damage. i put the tools i grabbed away,  Hearing jen chuckle at my abuse of what once was a sedan i opt to quip back as i move to  our hydraulics compartment  grabbing the spreadrs as well as the cutters just in case* ‘ what all that Chrismas foods gotta get worked off somehow,right’

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Have that gurney ready!'

*The more enthusiastic firefighter says before he pops the door off. He runs off to get more tools as I take a few more photos given the better access.*

'I don't think your partner saw I'm already ahead of him'

*I say to the female firefighter as I nod my head the direction of the gurney*

Danielle Chorzepa, PA
Coroner's Investigator

Badge 2037

Looking and seeing him still at the side of the squad, I smile 'Well, he's a little excited. I mean, I could go back for that cup of coffee, he's a one man crew. Really, I think I'm only here to use the radio to dispatch.'

As Dave arrives back to the car with the spreaders. I give him the nod. 'Time to work off Christmas dinner'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001