Wellbeing Check Call Number 20230918

R. Martin

SHERIFF X2. DARCY SENIOR HOUSING, 708 PHOXLIND HEIGHTS. APARTMENT 409.

Time:1130 Weather: Clear.

CAD notes:

COMPL NOT ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HER FATHER

82 YO MALE - GOBBLER, RICHARD - HAS SEVERAL MEDICAL ISSUES

SUBJ GOES BY NICKNAME OF DICK

COMPL REQ CALLBACK AFTER WELLBEING CHECK

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

The CAD chirps, and I see Bagley reach over, hit en route, and reach for the siren toggle.

"Wellness check. Touch the siren and I'll shoot you. Ask Scrat how he got the red ribbon." I sigh. "Guess we're en route to scene. Wellness checks, what do you know?"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"Wellness check. Touch the siren and I'll shoot you. Ask Scrat how he got the red ribbon." I sigh. "Guess we're en route to scene. Wellness checks, what do you know?"

'You want the correct answer or do you want the sarcastic one?' 

*i look at the cad and start reading the notes*

'sounds like this is going to be a possible DOA several medical issues and caller hasn't been able to reach the subject you want the band-aid brigade now or later'

sd211dep.png

Probationary Deputy Krystal Bagley
Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'You want the correct answer or do you want the sarcastic one?' 

I just might shoot her yet. Siren or not.

'sounds like this is going to be a possible DOA several medical issues and caller hasn't been able to reach the subject you want the band-aid brigade now or later'

"Later. He's dead, they can't do shit. He ain't getting deader, and chances are, at this point, he'll be the newest franchise of the Bacheycera Hotel, so we won't need medics to pronounce. Can probably just get coroner then. And ifhe's alive, then he just doesn't like the caller, no ambulance necessary. Listen, I know you haven't had the pleasure of working with SCFD EMS, but from experience, they're about 50/50 for over-eager chumps trying to get in as a firefighter and salty EMTs who just want something, or someone like you, to chew out because they're stuck in a crap job. Don't get me wrong, there's like 2 good ones there, at least, but Murphy's rule, not Wagners, is that when you call for an ambulance for a pre-emp, it's always, always, always gonna be one or both of the other two kinds."

Pulling up on scene. "Go ahead, call us on scene. But don't go rushing in. If he's dead, you'll see it anyways, but let's try to limit that exposure on your first day at least. Come with me, but follow me."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"Go ahead, call us on scene. But don't go rushing in. If he's dead, you'll see it anyways, but let's try to limit that exposure on your first day at least. Come with me, but follow me."

*grabbing the mic i key up*

"211 ERT on scene 708 Phoxlind heights" 

*placing the mic in the holder i see jerry take a long swig of his coffee*

'well sir you lead the way'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

"You know Bagley, I think I might actually grow to like you. Not today, but some day."

I walk along the sidewalk and see her following. Man, she might actually be a good cop after all. Well, the beginnings of one at least. 

"Alright, secure building, so we buzz the super first, and if not, start working our way through the apartments until someone lets us in. You'd be surprised how many people just buzz the door whenever they get the buzz, they don't even ask half the time."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"Alright, secure building, so we buzz the super first, and if not, start working our way through the apartments until someone lets us in. You'd be surprised how many people just buzz the door whenever they get the buzz, they don't even ask half the time."

'To be fair it helps when the half the people here have family who don't care about them and they got put here to die, sad reality but it is what it is'

*We walk up to the door and Jerry hits the buzzer.... and no answer fucking great just what we needed*

'Well i guess its time we start knocking then'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'Well i guess its time we start knocking then'

'I like to make life easier. And one thing about the forgotten generation is they tend to like us.' I say, pressing my way through different apartments. On the third try, someone buzzes without even saying hello. 'See, and you thought we'd have to ruin our perfectly manicured knuckles knocking on doors." 

As we walk down the hall, I mutter a swear word, trying to find my way around the unlabeled halls that make up the fourth floor.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'I like to make life easier. And one thing about the forgotten generation is they tend to like us.' I say, pressing my way through different apartments. On the third try, someone buzzes without even saying hello. 'See, and you thought we'd have to ruin our perfectly manicured knuckles knocking on doors."

'Ha Manicured knuckles i wish'

*walking around the halls a god awful stench hits my nose and i damn near puke right in the hallway*

'OH GOD whats that smell'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'You have to gently tap with your nails, saves the knukcles.' I say, waving my fingers flamboyantly.

'OH GOD whats that smell'

'Decomp. No need for an ambulance after all.' I say, immediately changing my tone. 

"ERT, 211, we've got heavy smell in hallway. Do we have an emergency contact for the apartment building we can contact to get entry. No answer when we buzzed the super."

"We'll go try the door, but if it's unlocked, stay out here. Trust me."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"211 that's affirmative, I'll call the number we have listed."

I pull up the premise file, dialing the contact labeled 'Maintenance' and telling him to go upstairs and meet with the deputies.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

"We'll go try the door, but if it's unlocked, stay out here. Trust me."

*We get to the door and i try and it doesn't open*

'No Good she's not budging guess we wait for someone to get up here, you wanna call for the Coroners office? cause it smells like we are going to need them'

*As i finish my sentence a shorter kid walks up to us with a grim look on his face*

'Hey can't get in huh, we were suspecting he would be gone soon last time the ambulances came here he didn't look so hot'

'Yea, How long ago was that?'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'Yea, How long ago was that?'

'Hi there, Deputy Wagner, SCSD. Are you the super? If you could pass me the keys, I'm going to go check the apartment, and Deputy Bagley right here can take your statement and get us some information.'

'Statement? You think he was killed.'

'Just standard procedure, we handle everything like a crime scene until we know it's not, just to make sure everything is okay in the fact that it is. Can't undestroy evidence. Y'know.' I say, taking the key. 

'Bagley? I'll make that call when I get inside.'

Opening the door, the smell grows a dozen times worse. Yep. He's gone. I close the door behind me, out of respect for the residents here who haven't smelled him yet and start looking for the body. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Bagley? I'll make that call when I get inside.'

*as Wagner enters the Room the smell gets worse and it stings my eyes as he closes it the smell dampens down a bit*

'Okay sir imma take your statement, When was he last taken to the hospital'

'uhh yea three weeks ago he was taken to the hospital for i think they said Kidney failure but he came home about an hour later, He's been in and out of the hospital for a couple months now with all sorts of issues with his kidney's and liver he COPD and a couple other things. His daughter came and visited alot but hasn't recently due to work such a shame he was a good man'

'Okay do you know of anyone that could've also harmed him, we don't think he was killed but i just wanna cross the T's and dot the I's sir'

'No he didn't get outside much he was wheelchair bound and as of recently bed ridden, when he did get out he was the nicest person you would meet'

'Okay sir when was the last time you saw him alive'

'When they brought him back after that i went on a Vacation out of state and just got back in the other day'

'Okay sir one last question whats your name'

'My name is Nikolas Petrov'

'Okay Mr Petrov we will get in contact with you if we need any more assistance'

*as Mr Petrov turns around i open the door and head in as the smell stings my eyes once more i close the door behind me*

'Hey Jerry where are you'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'Where you aren't going. He's. Well, this is. Um. I think they've got their new flagship franchise hotel. He's more maggot than man at this point. You should probably go meet Coroners. They're not far out. I advised them to expedite due to rapid decomp. He died ON the radiator. Looks like he just collapsed off the toilet, onto the rad and cooked nice and fresh for the bugs. It's. Well, we'll be skipping lunch for a couple hours.'

I close the bathroom door and walk out to see Bagley. Slightly better smelling out here, but I think I've ruined my nose, so I don't know for sure. 

"ERT, just an update for 211, we've got secured scene. It's confirmed DOA. We're going to stay here for coroner, and then we'll be unavailable for decon."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"ERT, just an update for 211, we've got secured scene. It's confirmed DOA. We're going to stay here for coroner, and then we'll be unavailable for decon."

'Last time anyone saw him alive was three weeks ago when he was brought back, he had kidney failure'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'3 Weeks, yeah that tracks. I'd say he died that night. There's more maggots than man in there. Ever see cottage cheese? Like that, but moving. No signs of any struggle or anything. I think your statement is grounds enough to just move on. Did you take noteS?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'3 Weeks, yeah that tracks. I'd say he died that night. There's more maggots than man in there. Ever see cottage cheese? Like that, but moving. No signs of any struggle or anything. I think your statement is grounds enough to just move on. Did you take noteS?'

'yes i did deputy wagner'

*i hand him my note pad last thing being the Maintenance workers name*

'i don't know if i'll eat for the rest of the day after that smell' 

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'At least you didn't have to look at the moving lasagna. There's a reason why I don't do pasta, and it's not to keep my boyish figure.'

I peruse the notes, and they look complete. Except for a phone number. 

'Add in on the bottom for the maintenace guy that ERT had a number on file for him. If they pull your books, they'll look for that. And flag it. I know it and you know it, but the defense lawyer will do any, and everything they can to undermine your competence. So build every note as if it's being read by a lawyer with a hard on for you. And not in the fun way.' And just like that, my badge is fucking gone. Damnit. Deep breaths Jerry, maybe she won't call Tamantha in HR

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Add in on the bottom for the maintenace guy that ERT had a number on file for him. If they pull your books, they'll look for that. And flag it. I know it and you know it, but the defense lawyer will do any, and everything they can to undermine your competence. So build every note as if it's being read by a lawyer with a hard on for you. And not in the fun way.'

'i'm used to guys getting hard on's for me to be honest it happened alot in the academy it was kinda weird but yea i'll write the number in before we leave i'm going to go down front and get the door for the Coroners office they should be here soon'

*i head down as soon as the Coroner rolls up and i open the door for them and let them in*

'So not fully sure how you wanna do this, Our victim is more bug then human now'

*getting back upstairs i open the room door for the Coroner* 

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'i'm used to guys getting hard on's for me to be honest it happened alot in the academy it was kinda weird but yea i'll write the number in before we leave i'm going to go down front and get the door for the Coroners office they should be here soon'

Um, what? I guess all the cadets this year were retarded. Maybe I just found the one high functioning one. Even I know you tuck and hide, not try to show a bulge off to the female cadets. Jesus Christ, I thought this was the woke generation. 

Bagley leaves, in what I can only assume to be an excuse for fresh air, and returns a few minutes later with the Coroner's investigator. That creepy dead looking chick. Ugh, I hate her, gives me the willies every time I see her. And has a name like a sausage. Anyways, we briefly exchange words and a summary before we leave. She confirms the information we have and agrees with our initial assessment, accidental. 

In the hallway, I close the door behind me and look at Bagley. "I do not envy Coroner today. How does one even live in a building like this without saying something. I get nose blind, but this?"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"I do not envy Coroner today. How does one even live in a building like this without saying something. I get nose blind, but this?"

'It's an old persons home i'm going to be honest i'm not even sure how many people here even know where they are, Also is it just me or does that Coroner look like she died and has the last name of like a 2 year old trying to pronounce to big of a word?'

*i look back at the door then back at Jerry*  

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

"Sausage. I think sausage. Chorizo. Mmmm. Oh look, my appetite is back. The things this job does to us."

Climbing into the car, on the curb, I see the white coroner car parked in front of us. I certainly hope she's not the transport unit.

"ERT, 211, we're going clear on this one, scene left with coroner's office.."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png