Press Room

Burke

*I accept my medals from Captain Russo, March two steps left, shake the hand of the Sheriff, pose for the obligatory photo and then move back to my seat, casually glancing down at my tunic, taking in the first two awards I've been bestowed, and thinking they look out of place *

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Getting up I slowly walk my way to the front and do my salutes before standing at attention.  The flashing camera lights from pictures being taken are more blinding than the explosions that went off that night.  Still I do my best to not mind it as I hold my posture.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

*Hawke approaches the podium and we exchange salutes.*

'Deputy Evelyn Hawke Due to your Courageous actions on the night in question including kicking an armed improvised explosive device away from your fellow deputies without thinking of the potential consequences it is my privilege to award you the department can give, The Shiloh County Medal of Honor. Had that device gone off we would have been giving posthumous awards today.'

*I pin the gold starred award to her jacket.*

'During the incident you were grazed by a bullet and fractured your toe while kicking the device away from you. Since you sustained Injuries I would like to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's department Purple Heart.'

*I pin the purple heart next to her last one.*

'Since you were in one of the most intense firefights in county history I would also like to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the award next to the purple heart. Hawke shakes the sheriff's hand*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*Feels weird.  Getting these medals feels weird but I'll accept them all the same.  Shaking the Sheriff's hand and posing for a photo op I head back to my seat.  Sitting down I await any last words from the Captain or the Commissioner to wrap this thing up.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

• 1 year later...

I meet with the crew from Shiloh Fire to talk about the latest updates with the EMS takeover, it's gone well so far, a few hiccups, but that's fine, and get ready to do the presser. As we go out, I stand to the podium and introduce the deputy chief of EMS, and then stand back and let him do all the talking. Then the medical director gets up and speaks, before taking a few questions, then breaking off for individual interviews. I look around and see that nice reporter from the news again. I patiently wait to see if she wants to interview me. 

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

Deciding I'm suave enough to play it off, I feign ignorance to who she is. 

'Oh, whello there. Have we. Oh sorry, You're the reporter from the talk show. Kaitlyn Rose, right?' I slow the end and let a smile out, hopefully relaxing her, instead of putting her on edge. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Yes, it's Kendall Ross though'

Knowing he made that gaff on purpose I let it slide by just saying that and giving a bright smile back.

'It was great when we had you on a couple years back.  Nice to see you again.'

Not like we didn't talk after the Kimberly Shootout incident that followed the Selkirk Bombings but it seems he wants to pretend to not know me.

'And now it's you that doesn't remember me Kendall. Or were you just playing along because they told you not to make the ERT guy look a fool? You know, I'm not all work and mean-ness. Only to the guys at the Sheriff's department, but from what I hear from everyone, they kind of deserve it.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

His response causes me to cock my head just a little bit and raise an eyebrow.  What kind of game was he playing here now.

'Or maybe I thought we were just doing a nice to meet you thing but I guess we're done playing that game now?'

Crossing my arms I kinda lean as I bend one leg a bit and focus my weight on the other.

'So the Sheriff's Department did something, huh?  Was it a certain K9 Sergeant again?'

'Well, so far, every time, it has been nice to meet you. And to answer your question, it all depends on if you're asking as Kendall Ross the reporter, or just Kendall whom I happen to have a friendly working relationship with. Though either way, I can tell you the latest drama in the county is not the responsibility of any of our dogs or their people. This time.' Changing the topic before I get in trouble. 'So, what brings you over this way. Isn't there more interesting people for you to talk to? Or did you draw a short straw again?' 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

I feign surprise, look around and focus on a few people for a moment or two. I even raise my hand to point once.

'Nope, you know what Kendall, that's it. I'm clearly the most interesting person in this room. Hell, I'd bet at least this side of the county. You're welcome to bring me to any other room and we can continue the search for someone more interesting than me.'

Here goes that trouble again. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Well that sounds like a challenge to accept, lead the way or are you going to tell me ladies first?'

Smiling with a grin it's clear we're joking about all this but I'm curious as to how far it'll go.  If he tells me to go first than I shall do so while grabbing his sleeve and pulling him with me.  That's how far I'm willing to see how far he'll play along.

I try to supress my shock at her teasing. It must just be a joke. Right? Or maybe we're playing the red light game... She does know that emergency vehicles only pause at red lights, not stop, right? 

One quick glance around shows absolutely no one is paying any attention to us, nor are we on a camera, so I smile back, mischievously. 

'Are you driving or am I?' I say, holding both palms outward, indicating I'm ready to go.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

The fire truck pauses, and then continues into trouble territory, because everyone knows fire trucks don't stop for red lights.

'Alright, come with me. I'm parked out back.' I say leading her through the conference door, into the hallway and then out the side door towards my truck. 'Last chance. If you get in with me, we're probably going to go out and then you'll find out I'm still the most interesting man anywhere we go.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

Tying my hair into a ponytail as we stop at his truck I listen to his warning with an eyebrow raised.  The outside air is warmer than inside the building so before I do anything else I unbutton the black blazer to my dress suit that I wore today.  Then I smile back at the Commissioner as I open the passenger's side door of his truck.

'So you decide to warn me with a good time?'

Climbing into the seat I look back at him and grin

'That was a promise of a good time, right?'

As she unbuttons her blazer I wonder what the hell I'm doing. I mean. Am I really doing this? I watch as she opens the door and smiles at me. 

'That was a promise of a good time, right?'

'With Shiloh's Most Interesting Man? Dos Eqius guy learned everything he knows from me. Tell me your wildest dreams.' I say, closing the door before she has a chance to answer and walk around to my side of the truck, opening the door, getting in and looking across the console to see if she's come up with a wild dream or not. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

The door closes before I can answer and it's dawning on me that I honestly don't know how far this is going to go.  Well it appears we're throwing caution to wind here so damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!  As he goes around the truck I undo the top few buttons of my blouse and check to see what I wore for lingerie today.  Though I doubt we'll go that far it would be embarrassing if I wasn't wearing something I didn't want to be seen in.  Black lacy bra check and I know by feeling the garter straps on my legs and the panties over my waist that the rest of my set matches cause why wouldn't it if my stockings are also black.  As Burke climbs into the drivers and asks again about my fantasies I decide to be just a little difficult in my response.

'Well Mr. Most Interesting Man, surely you know the answer to that already?  Don't you?'

**Cross posting in the other topic, just for posterity's sake. Other post will be in the restaurant**

'Well, everything we do this afternoon stays a you and me thing right? No headlines? No matter how much I blow your mind?'

When I see a little smile, I take that as my yes. And looking in my periphery, I notice another button has undone itself. Or has it? Don't stare. Don't. Stare. 

'The Saratoga vehicle code allows for use at the discretion of several officials, emergency equipment to bypass regular traffic laws. And the county's most interesting man is one of those people.'

I shift the vehicle in to drive and feel the transmission click as my hand slides the position switch to 3. 

'But before any adventures, we require Chinese. That's also in the vehicle code. You should read it some day.'

As I pull out of the parking lot, I flick the siren to part the sea and start moving towards the restaurant. This is definitely not the discretion they meant in the code. I look down and catch my hand just fractions of an inch from hers. I use this as an excuse to bump her hand as I change the siren and she doesn't pull away, just looks over at me. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801