Press Room

Burke

*As I gather with the press in the press room, I stand at the front with Captain Summers, as well as the chief of department for SCFD, and several ERT representatives. Our fire liaison introduces the program to support local fire departments, and the joint partnership with the SCFD to purchase their new rescue engine, fully outfitted and ready to go as of today.*

'It is my great pleasure to present the keys to this great new tool to our county fire department. I understand Captain Summers is going to be commanding this unit effective immediately.'

engine11.png

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

• 1 month later...

*Joined by Deputy Chief Larry Veiber, Dr. Chris Grant and Lt. Sara Blythe, ERT's EMS Liaison, as well as two SCFD Paramedics we present our new program to the press of Shiloh County.*

'Good afternoon. We're presenting an exciting new initiative meant to improve medical care in Shiloh County, as well as response times and capabilities for Medical Services in our county. Today will be the first day for SCFD's Community Paramedics program. In the previous system, response ambulances were being used for every emergency call, even those that did not necessarily warrant a transport vehicle, such as palliative care, diabetes management, or even patient treatment and release. Starting today, Shiloh County will be adding two vehicles, staffed by community paramedics, with the same training you would see on an advanced care ambulance. These two paramedics will respond to people in need of care from paramedics, but who would not normally be transported to hospital. Our EMDs will continue to triage patients on the phone, and for non-emergency cases, such as diabetes management or pain, palliative care, and more, community paramedics may be sent to the patient to treat and release. Their uniforms will different slightly from standard response paramedics, and look more like hospital staff, adjusted for the nature of the work they will be doing. Instead of fire department uniforms, with high visibility striping, you'll see them in polos, sweaters and non-reflective clothing. Their newly designed uniform reflects the nature of their work, and the environment they work in. Their response vehicles will also differ from our existing Fast Response Cars and ambulances, while still marked, will not have the standard emergency equipment and high visibility decals. Our community paramedic minivans will be equipped with low profile flashing red lights. These two new units are above and beyond our typical emergency response ambulances, and our fast response car.

Starting next week as well, you will start to see more SCFD fast response cars, another initiative supported by the ERT, which will add two more Paramedic Fast Response cars that will have an ALS Paramedic and be deployed throughout our county to support emergency calls and provide quicker on scene response to our 911 calls that require advanced care intervention. While this is not a new initiative, ERT and SCFD are working together to expand their EMS response capabilities.

Following the testing of this pilot program, we're expecting to partner with Crescent Falls University Health to deploy similar units in the eastern half of the county as well.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 3 months later...

*As things settle down, Deputy O'Reilly is released from hospital and I get to bestow upon him a Shiloh County Purple Heart, an award for duty resulting in personal injury in the line of duty.

Today, in a small gathering of some press, and Deputy O'Reilly's family, I am joined on the platform by the Shiloh County Sheriff, Fort Shannon Mayor, and members of the County Council. After several opening remarks, I make my statement and award to O'Reilly.*

'Deputy Richard O'Reilly with the Shiloh County Sheriff Department responded to a call for a bank robbery at the TD Bank just west of here on June 13th, 2020. Several heavily armed men took hostages in the bank and killed civilians when they called for help. During negotiations, the suspects released one hostage, and Deputy O'Reilly, seeing her immediate need for help, ran to cover her and evacuate her. At this time the suspects ambushed our deputies and officers and Deputy O'Reilly was shot.

'Thanks to the efforts from the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department, as well as many other agencies, the incident was resolved and all other hostages were rescued. Thank you for your service Deputy O'Reilly.'

*As he stands in his class A uniform, I remove the service bar from the display case and pin it to his uniform tunic. I shake his hand and pose with him for the media and family pictures. Despite not being cleared for duty, he seems to be in much better health, standing on his own again and I doubt it'll be long until he returns to service.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I stand in my class A uniform, keeping my face blank. I felt a lot better, and knew I was close to 100%, but still not there. I knew it wouldn't be too much longer before I was back on duty. I stay quiet as he recounts the events of the bank robbery. I shake the commissioner's hand, smiling at him.*

'Thank you, sir. I was just doing my job.'

*I pose with the commissioner for pictures, smiling for the press and for my family.*

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1943

• 3 months later...

*Gathering again, for more press around the terrorists, this time it's to recognize bravery and courage. I take my seat at the elevated platform, joined by the Sheriff, Captain Russo, and the honorees today. With me are Deputies Wagner, Hawke, Caldwell, O'Reilly, Sanchez and Rogers. On the table to stage left of the podium, is a black table, adorned with several awards and medals.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*My dress uniform doesn't fit as well any more with the bandages underneath. I adjust my jacket and take a seat on the chair, trying to find a comfortable way to sit down. I look over at the others and give a gentle nod.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*I sit between Hawke and Wagner in the small group of us in front of a crowd. Its been long enough that the stiches in the back of my head have healed so there not as much of an abomination. I had never been a fan of wearing class A's but I feel wearing them on stage now is a lot better then the other choice of me wearing them in a box.*

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

*Standing next to the Commissioner and the Sheriff, I look over at my guys looking sharp in their dress uniforms. As discussed I would be the one pinning the award on their jackets and reading the official award and the sheriff would be shaking hands. Looking out into the audience I can see Stephanie and Ashley in the one of the rows close to the stage.*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*Seeing everyone is seated, I stand to the podium and begin my speech.*

'Earlier this month, there was a terror attack in our state's capital that claimed the lives of many. A manhunt ensued and all law enforcement officers in the state and surrounding areas were notified. The FBI had reason to believe the suspects were fleeing the country, to take cover in the Canadian wilderness. The deputies behind me answered the call of duty, when a suspicious vehicle was reported in the area of Kimberley. Upon arrival, these deputies identified themselves and came under heavy fire, including improvised explosive devices, meant to kill our officers. It was clear this wasn't a premeditated attack, but the presence of the heavy weaponry and explosives indicates that there was a secondary attack planned for another location. It is thanks to the bravery and sacrifice of these deputies that we never were forced to experience this attack. While all 4 suspects were killed, these deputies, at great personal risk, defended themselves and Saratoga, several behind me receiving injuries.

'Today, Captain Zach Russo, commanding officer of the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department will introduce each deputy and share the reason why they are being recognized and awarded. Sheriff Brunner will be awarding each deputy.'

*I take my notes, turn and take a seat, letting Zach take over the ceremony.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Today, Captain Zach Russo, commanding officer of the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department will introduce each deputy and share the reason why they are being recognized and awarded. Sheriff Brunner will be awarding each deputy.'

*I step up to the podium.*

'Thank you Commissioner, my name is Captain Zachary Russo, Commanding officer of the operations bureau. Seated behind me are some of the finest law enforcement officers the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department has ever seen. Several weeks ago these officers responded to what was called in as a suspicious vehicle in Kimberley. Upon arrival they were met with heavy automatic gunfire and improvised explosive devices being thrown at their vehicles. Without a second thought these officers took up tactical positions and returned fire. Without this immediate action I have no doubt the people behind the bombings would not have only fled justice but would have done serious harm to anyone or anything in their wake. Without Further ado can I call up Deputy Alejandro Sanchez to the podium?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

* as as im standing with my guys in my class A’s its not my moment but im still proud for then,when zach calls up sanchez i hide a smile trying to stay professional  while the events unfold before me its not my place to soeak that’ll be for the after party im sure that will  happen at the bar*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

*Sanchez comes up to the podium and salutes. Myself and the rest of the brass returns it and he stands at attention.*

'Deputy Sanchez, Due to your heroic actions on the night in question and providing flanking cover from the woods for your fellow deputies it is my honor to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the red striped award on to his jacket. Sheriff Brunner shakes his and he returns to his seat.*

'Would Deputy James Rogers come up to the podium please?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Rogers walks up to the podium and salutes. Myself and the rest of the brass return the salute.*

'Deputy Rogers, Due to your heroic actions on the night in question and taking sustained automatic gunfire it is my honor to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the award to his jacket. A round of applause comes from the press room. He returns to his seat*

'Can I call Deputy Michael Caldwell up to the podium?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Caldwell comes up to the podium and salutes. I return the salute*

'Deputy Caldwell, First and Foremost I'm glad your doing well after your injury. Due to the head injury you sustained after an IED detonated less than 10 feet away from you on the night in question I would like to award you the Sheriff's Purple Heart.

*I pin the purple award to his jacket.*

In addition after sustaining this injury you continued to fight until the firefight was over. For that I would like to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the red award next to the purple one.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*As the applause for Caldwell dies down*

'Would Deputy Richard O'Rielly come up to the podium please'

*Ricky jumps up and walks over. Formalities are exchanged.*

'Deputy O'Rielly. During the firefight after Deputy Caldwell sustained his injuries you heroically rendered aid under sustained automatic gunfire to your fellow deputy. I have no doubt in my mind that if it wasn't for your actions that night could have been a lot worse. For that I would like to award you the Shiloh County ERT lifesavers award.'

*I pin the white and red award to his jacket.*

'After rendering aid you continued the firefight and for that I would like to award you with the Shiloh County Sheriff's department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the award to his jacket next to the white one. The sheriff shakes his hand and he returns to his seat. A loud round of applause fills the room, out of the corner of my eye I see Ashley proudly applauding. Mike pats him on the shoulder as he returns to his seat. As the applause stops.*

'Can I have Deputy Jerry Wagner up to the podium please?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I stand, slower than normal, and make my way to the podium. As I do, a few cameras click as pictures are taken. I stand at attention, pointing towards the floor, as we were told to do beforehand. Once in position, Captain Russo begins his remarks.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Jerry walks up to the podium we exchange formalities.*

'Deputy Wagner, Due to your Valorful acts on the night in question including leaving a position of cover to charge the last subjects standing as well as rendering aid to your fellow deputies I would like to award you the departments second highest award. The medal of Valor.'

*I pin the medal to his Jacket.*

'In addition you and your fellow deputies have seen the worst firefight this county has seen in its recorded history. For that I would like to award you the Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Combat Cross.'

*I pin the award to his jacket, The sheriff shakes his hand and a round of applause fills the room*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109