Medical Alert Activation - No Voice Contact

C. Aylward

Medic 1, Squad 1

'911 what is your emergency?'

'This is Johnsons Medical Alert, is this the PSAP For Fort Shannon, Saratoga?'

'Yes it is, what is the location of your emergency?'

'132 Halsey Ave, Medical alert, No voice contact, labored breathing. Registered to 89 y/o female, renal failure'

'We're sending a crew right away. What is the contact information?'

'Elizabeth Trudy, 588-555-1447. No answwer at emergency contact.'

'Thank you.'

*I record this information and check CAD. The units available nearest are Medic 1 and, oh god, Squad 1. Goodricht warned me about these loons.*

Medic 1, Squad 1, code 3 to 132 Halsey Avenue, Medic Alert, no voice contact. 89 y/o female renal failure, labored breathing heard. Information sent to MDT.

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

Not even 10 minutes into the shift this morning and we're already banged out for a medical alarm. At least I'm with Frank. I grab my turnout gear off the rack and throw my bunker pants on, then throw the rest of my gear into the gear compartment. I do a quick pat down. Wallet, phone, cigarettes, lighter, all check, all good to go. I slide into the front seat of the squad and roll my eyes. 

"Who the fuck was in this thing last? Bridget the Midget?" I say, pulling the lever to move the seat back. I hit responding on the MDT while Frank finds his way to the truck.  

Fire%20Generic.png
Firefighter/Paramedic Ewan Raven, Paramedic In Charge
Unit unassigned

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1142

*Hearing the tones for Medic 1 I grumble and stand outside, choosing to finish my cigarette. Goddamn medical alarm. I burn it down to the filter and toss it aside, not caring if it hit the butt container or not. I walk into the bay and slide into the passenger seat, reaching over to crank the truck. I'm a paramedic, I don't need to drive. I tap the responding button on the MDT.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2008

‘ well here it goes’ 

* as the tones go out  i i had just got to the duty room after a last minute trip back home being told to hop on medic one before i can even say I'm  back, so i pull a 180 not even sure who my partner is i moce to fall into my old routine opting to drive  who i figure is erika ir dunne around or maybe in driving eith the lieutenant who knows i do a hasty half walk around the truck  then move to the drivers seat as i open the door i expect erika having worked with her so often but it might be dunne as i go to climb in i see its neither and see the guys obviously a medic* ‘howdy im bobby ray jackson ‘ *i shut the door and  move crank the truck over  when i realize he did that already   So i just roll out seeing hes marked us responding but unsure if he called it over the air i grab the mic minimizing the southern twang in my voice as best i can* “ county show medic one rolling to respond” * i clip the mic back as i pull into traffic and flick the sirens to speed traffic along*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

I barely get up and walk out. I'm very hung over but stoked to see Ewan.

Oh snap. I almost forgot. I pull of my sweatshirt to show the guns and put on my dank turnout pants. "EWAN, BROTHER, IVE MISSED YOU. YOU IN TO SAVE THIS PERSON FROM DEATHS COLD GRASPS?!?!?!" I hop in remembering old times and we drive to the call. I got my mind on pbr and pbr on my mind. 

spacer.png
Firefighter Paramedic Frank Garcia
Squad 1

Badge 1122

*My partner gets in, drawling something about his name. Country as hell.*

'Yeah I'm Tom. Let's get this fuckin bus rolling, Billy Ray. The city needs us.'

*I take a vape pen out of my pocket and puff on it, inhaling the nicotine. It didn't feel as good as a cigarette, but two write ups for smoking in the ambulance was enough. I stare out the windshield, trying to remember what I did last night.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

‘ I am, I am, or do you wanna drive instead?’

*I fire back as i work through traffic glancing in my side mirror for the squad*

‘Tom, you see the squad at all? I saw em pull out behind us... Unless they're taking another way?’

Edited by Burke

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

'You're the EMT, you can drive, Billy Ray. I don't know where the fuck those fire guys went and I don't really give a fuck. Damn firemen. I don't know why they got dispatched.'

*I keep staring out the window. Who the fuck was this guy? Didn't he know who I was? I'm Tom Murdoch, goddamnit.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

*He''s getting closer. He will get my name right at some point tonight, he has to there's only so many combos he can do. I chuckle at his comment about the squad*

‘True I suppose‘

* I elect to leave it there but if they cant find us I don't want em on the job with us in the first place. Even I can read a GPS. As I'm getting closer to the call it starts to further dawn on me he either hates me or Shiloh County might not be as pretty as its made out to be. Either way I get a vibe that the medic I'm carting around has seen or done or does some shit i probably shouldn't ask about, so it looks like I know the atmosphere I'm gonna be working in with him. It'll be strictly business from here on out unless he dictates otherwise*

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

*I start glancing at house numbers as we get close, but I don't say anything. He's my driver, he should know to look for an address. We pull up, and I pick up the mic.*

"Medic One, ERT, looks like we're on scene We'll advise if we need Fire to continue."

*I get out of the ambulance, stuffing a pair of gloves in my pocket as I walk up to the door. I don't bother grabbing the jump bag. This is a bullshit medical alarm. That BLS guy should know to grab it if he wants to be all good and proper. I didn't give a damn either way. I stomp up the stairs to the house and stand to the side of the door as I bang on it with a closed fist.*

'Paramedics! You call an ambulance? Answer the door!'

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

"Medic One, ERT, looks like we're on scene We'll advise if we need Fire to continue."

"10-4 Medic 1" *I say, looking to see where the hell the squad went. They left first, what happened? They stop for tacos again?*

"Squad 1, ERT. Just looking for an ETA."

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

* as i park the truck i still dont see the squad i expect this to be kinda bullshit but i take the jump bag with me if we get inside and need the strecher i can always go back and grab it the old womens probably asleep and layed on her life alert or something * ‘ what you wanna bet she fell asleep on her life alert?’

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

"An ETA... Right the hell now..." I mutter to myself as we pull up behind the medic on scene. 

"Squad 1 is on scene." I say over the radio. I open the door before Frank is stopped and manage to get out without falling over. 

"What do you guys got?" I ask the medic crew

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*I glance over at the EMT as he walks up. He brought the jump bag? How new is this kid? It's just an alarm.*

'Yeah, who the fuck knows. Goddamn piece-of-shit pendants.'

*I bang on the door again.*

'Ambulance!'

*I grumble to myself as Raven walks up.*

'Nothing yet. No answer, I can't hear anything inside. Probably fucking asleep on her pendant. Let's see about a back door or some windows to see if we can see inside.'

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

"Cool, you take the back door, I'll try and pop a window or something." 

I watch as the medic trundles off to the back, I catch a whiff of menthol coming off of him and instantly start craving another cigarette. I grab the flat bar out of my packet and pop a screen on one of the windows. No dice, it's locked.

"Dispatch from Squad 1, do you have keyholder or a key location?"

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*I head around to the back, trying the back door with no luck. I grumble and moan about old fucks pressing their alarms and not having emergencies as I walk around the house, looking for an open window or something. I pull my vape pen out and give it a couple good puffs, wishing it wasn't so frowned on to just light up on scene. Vapes were good, but they definitely didn't replace the feel and smell of a good cigarette. I glance at the driveway as a car pulls up, and a frantic-looking middle-aged Karen gets out, fumbling in her purse for a key as she goes up to the door.*

'This isn't like her at all she always answers the door.'

*Oh. Great. She better be asleep, I swear to God. I walk up to the porch as she gets the door open and heads inside.*

"Medic 1 dispatch, keyholder on scene. We're making entry."

*She goes into the bedroom as I glance around, trailing behind her. She screams, and I sigh.*

'Fuck.'

*I walk into the bedroom, frowning slightly when I see the grandma laid out on the bed, unresponsive and apneic.*

'Billy Ray, get the fuck in here with those firemen! Get our monitor! And our drug bag! And the Lucas!'

*As the Karen sobs hysterically, asking me if Granny Jane is dead, I grab Granny Jane under the armpits and haul her onto the floor, not worrying about her legs as I set her down, mostly gently. I kneel next to her and start compressions, feeling the arthritic joints crack under my hands.*

"Medic One, dispatch, we've got an arrest in progress."

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

‘ON IT!’ * i shout through the door as i  sprint to the ambulance and grab the stuff hastily tossing it on our strecher  and sprint up to the house shouting at the squad* ‘Arrest in progress get your ass into the bedroom guys!’ Unabke to get the strecher into the bedroom i enter with the stuff and kneel down but leave space for the other medics* ‘ anything i can do?’

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

The medic's EMT comes running out like it's his first day, grabs a bunch of crap from the ambulance and frantically yells at us. While he manhandles the stretcher by himself into the house, spilling things over the floor in the process. 

"Arrest in progress, get your ass into the bedroom guys!"

I roll my eyes and Frank does as well. We calmly walk into the house; I look at the fridge. 

"Fuck... No DNR." I say.

I step into the bedroom. There's vomit all over the bed, the walls, the floor, and the patient. The paramedic is doing CPR already. With a swift tear I rip the patient's night gown down and throw on the AED pads. 

The filtered ECG shows some weird IVR like pattern. Too wide for Afib and too slow for vtach. I go ahead and get out a towel for the inevitable vomit spew that will take place and start getting ready to do an EJ.

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

‘Anything I can do?’

*I give Billy Ray Cyrus a dirty look. Is this his first day?*

'Of course there is. First, slow the fuck down. This isn't your emergency. Slow way the fuck down. And let's get this damn Lucas on. Then take care of Karen. And see if you can get history and meds list.'

*I keep doing compressions until we get the Lucas attached, then sit back on my heels and look over at the monitor.*

'The fuck? Some kind of ventricular bullshit. Fuck that. OK, Raven, let's get some access. EJ if that's what you want, I guess. Not my forte, but it'll do. Garcia, go ahead and get that airway roll open and get me an airway. Supraglottic or ET, I don't give a fuck. Best airway is one that works.'

*I grab the drug bag and open it, taking out an epinephrine prefill and connecting it while Raven works on getting the EJ.*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

"I dunno. It almost looks like it's hyper K. But she doesn't have a pulse so let's roll with the normal ACLS and see what we can do. Probably get some calcium ready, notes said renal failure, and she looks like she's got a ton of edema"

I drop a 16g in her EJ in a hot second, get flash, advance, and secure, then get a bag of saline ready and get a pressure infuser on it, then tuck it between my head and shoulder.

Fire%20Generic.png
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

( not his first day but his first arrest outside of training)  * i stop to try to take a breath quickly moving outta the way if the other medics  i know they must think its my first day but i can address it later i back outta the room the ladys frantic probabky made worse by me but its to late niw i supose* ‘ma’am  were helping her but you need to help us i need her meds and anything on her medical history’  * the wonen sobs unable yo give me an answer but hands  me a peice of paper i know its meds but damned if i can pronounce any of  em*  ‘ill be right back with you, ok’ * she sobs but nods and i walk back into the room* ‘ i got her meds kinda she sprawled em out on a napkin for me for what good itll do’ 

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Badge 1714

*Once Raven has the EJ started, I slam the epi through it. I look over to the monitor, watching to see if it converts.*

'I dunno. It almost looks like it's hyper K. But she doesn't have a pulse so let's roll with the normal ACLS and see what we can do. Probably get some calcium ready, notes said renal failure, and she looks like she's got a ton of edema.'

*I nod, agreeing.*

'Yeah, those look like some sine waves. Okay, we're gonna keep running the PEA algorithm. As far as the hyperK, here's what we're gonna do. We'll start a calcium gluconate drip going in that EJ, then we're gonna drill the humeral head so we've got a second access point. We'll give meds through that one. And once we get the IO in, we'll give an amp of sodium bicarb. We'll see how those go, and if we get no effect with those we'll see about nebulizing some Albuterol through that BVM. If we're lucky, the calcium will put her in vfib and we can shock her out of it and into ROSC. Sound good, yeah?'

*I look up at the head of the patient and see Garcia splayed out on the floor, in the middle of intubating. It looked like he was doing okay though, so that's what's important. I glance up to Billy Ray.*

‘I got her meds kinda she sprawled em out on a napkin for me for what good itll do.’

*I nod, taking the list and scanning over it. Nothing unexpected.*

'Alright kid. We've got this arrest rockin and rollin for the most part. We're not gonna transport unless we get ROSC though, fuck that. For now, see if you can comfort the daughter. Just let her know we're doing whatever the fuck we can for her ma. Ask her if she knows if she's missed dialysis lately. And if she's been complaining of anything. No rush on those, though, they're not gonna change anything.'

• Thanks 1

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008