Fireside Chat: An Interview with Sgt. Jason Patterson

K. Ross

*Having sat down being all set for the interview, which was requested by the Sheriff's Department, I smile at the camera as the countdown begins.  Was told this was going to be a friendly piece as is usual for Fireside Chat so I plan on just asking nice casual questions for the next ten minutes.*

'5... 4... 3... 2... 1...'

'Good evening and welcome to Fireside Chat.  Today's guest with me today is Shiloh County Sheriff's Department's Sergeant Jason Patterson with his partner, K9 Ajax.'

*Looking over to Sgt. Patterson.*

'Welcome Sgt. Patterson, thank you for joining us today.  How are you today and how is Ajax?'

* after i got everything settled back stage and made sure my class d uniform was as smooth as i could get it and  after letting dispatch know id have my radio off  as well as letting ajax leave his mark in the back lot we ready ourself some having idly chit chat before we go live  as the director counts down i get ajax to sit between myself and the host  as the lights cone up i resist squinting at then when  miss ross opens i return as big a smile as i can while i rub ajaxs head while i address her*

‘ thank you for having us Miss Ross, I'm doing well, are you buddy?’

* I address her first then lean down like I'm asking my dog he lightly barks  and I chose to play it for the camera*

‘ ajax says he's doin well’

* he goes back to chewing on his tennis balls probably trying to win the audiences heart*

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1337

* i nod at the comments glanceing down at how ajax has proceded to abuse the ball he had but hes being cute*

‘ I've been with the sd for a while yes, and in the    8  months ive worked with ajax two of which was actually before the department aquiored him 6 with him with the department I've learnt just how smart and loyal he can be’

*  he sits up and licks my hand*

‘yes im talking about you buddy’

* i say to him while I scratch him behind the ears a bit as i look  back at miss ross.*

‘he follows me everywhere, not just  a partner. This same dog would do anything to protect me on the job and off the level if training handlers build runs incredibly deep i learn more  about him and he inturn learns alot about me  every day you could say we're bound together almost’

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

* i smile again*

‘ k9 roles vary by department. Some specialize ours don't. I run the k9 program,  specifically, I supervise it. I answer directly to Captain Russo and Lieutenant Blackburn.’

* I pause and take a pull from the water they left out  setting my glass down then go back to rubbing Ajax*

’ It was decided that we will treat our dogs much like you’d  treat a swiss army knife ajax and the rest of our dogs when we get them will do everything - apprehensions , tracking, comunity outreach, they’ll even find drugs or guns or bombs even missing people. We want our dogs to be as flexible a tool to the community as we can get,we’ll also be first response for surrounding counties if they need a dog’

Edited by Burke

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘ yeah,  sure’

* I smile and move to stand, pulling Ajax's lead off my belt*

‘  Ajax! ready to go to work bud’

*He perks up as his harness clips and a stage hand rolls some coats on a rack out*  

'Now before I start, these coats were volunteered by members of the production crew. I had them pass around a scent article, then had your producer stash it in a random coat for reference’

*I pause and remove a quarter out of my pocket*

'The scent Ajax will track is the size of that coin. A few staff also volunteered their lunch. It could be in  with somebody's tuna sandwich for all I know.’ 

*I move to stand tighting Ajax's lead*

'Ajax!, seek dope! I dont know what coat it's in, this is totally the dog right now’

*Ajax walks the coat rack, my hands working to hide him into sone of the bags and such on the cart* 

'Find it buddy seek dope’ 

*After a few passes he sits down in front what Kendall would know was her director's  coat. His paw comes up to try to knock the coat off. I assist and he buries his nose in and around the left pocket the entire search takes two minutes. i reach my hand in and a plastic bag with said sandwhich is in it.  I open the bag  without putting a glove on i grab a tiny Manilla folder and open it* 

'And here we go’

*I dump a quarter sized piece of cardboard out of the envelope*

‘ And that right there had the drug envelope been real, would equate a dime bag size  baggie of weed. Ajax's nose is  at minimal 4 times more powerful then yours or mine.'

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*As the demonstration goes on I sit in my chair drinking water as I watch the show go on.  When it's finished I smile and see the studio director indicate that time is almost up.*

'Thank you Sgt. Patterson for that excellent demonstration.  Now I understand you'll be going around the county visiting schools to educate the youth about the Sheriff's Department and your duties as a K9 officer.  Can you share with us which schools you'll be visiting so that some of our younger audience members watching with interest might look forward to those visits?'

‘ I haven't set them in stone yet, but I'm gonna swing by meadowlark elementary as one of the first ones. I'll also be at various public and private middle schools this week as well.’

*I turn to face Miss Ross and shake her hand, then give ajax another command*

‘ ajax wave bye to everybody.’

*He moves to give miss ross a paw to shake, then waves the same paw in front of the camera with a final friendly sounding bark thst you'd swear was him saying bye bye*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*Nodding along I look at the studio director just about saying it's time to wrap up.  Meanwhile Ajax comes up and offers me his paw.  Taking the dog's paw I give it a nice shake as the dog barks what I guess is a goodbye.*

'Well thank you Ajax and Sgt. Patterson for being with us'

*Looking back at the camera.*

'Well that's about all the time we have on Fireside Chat today.  Up next is Sandra's Kitchen.  I'm told that she will be making spaghetti with pasta made from scratch.  Absolutely don't want to miss that.  Thank you for watching us today and we will see you next time if you choose to sit down with us again in the future.'

*The director indicated that we're off the air and I start relaxing as I begin to wonder if I'm the new host for these things now.  Before Sgt. Patterson and Ajax leaves I look to them to tell them one final thing.*

'Thank you for joining us.'

''Anytime , I'd like to thank your staff again for volunteering their clothing and whoever's lunch for the demo here. I figured Ajax would be camera shy or distracted as he’s such a young dog but thats the shepard they love to please.'

*I smile as I turn to leave. Ajax, after saying a few good byes to stagehands, follows quickly coming to my heel as I call the lt and dispatch to let them know I'm done with the show.*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337