Kimberley Fire Eviction

W. Burke

*I nod in reply to Russo's question.*

'Yeah, of course. There's a halligan in the truck, and other options if it comes to that. Is anyone armed? Or just some civil disobedience?'

*I glance towards the fire station.*

'I don't expect this to take long. There's what, four guys tops? We take the door, Wagner, his probie and I make entry, secure the perps.'

SWATsgt.png

Sergeant Scott Wright
Unit 102

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2009

swatbadge.png

'I don't expect this to take long. There's what, four guys tops? We take the door, Wagner, his probie and I make entry, secure the perps.'

'If it's good with you guys, I don't expect any weapons. We don't need any going in. I'm going in with you, up the rear of course, though if he makes a swing, don't worry, I'll kick the shit out of them myself. I might be old, but you know the saying full of piss and vinegar? Well I also miss kicking asses.'

'If we make Entry do you want me to go with a non lethal option... Like a Taser or a Bean bag shotgun ?!?' 

*Jesus christ, they'll let probies speak? Oh how the mighty have fallen.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

'If we make Entry do you want me to go with a non lethal option... Like a Taser or a Bean bag shotgun ?!?' 

*Jesus fucking christ.*

'Jonathan. What are rules 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 11? And the last thing I told you when I got out of the car?' *I turn to the rest of them.* 'I'm sorry for my rookie, he doesn't listen too well. For what it's worth, we've got an overzealous firefighter and his minion. There's no indication they've got weapons, and we've already got one set of professional eyes watching us. Any weapons will just make us look bad. Let's go in, grab them and we've all got options on our belts. Don't mind Jonathan, he's excitable.'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'If it's good with you guys, I don't expect any weapons. We don't need any going in. I'm going in with you, up the rear of course, though if he makes a swing, don't worry, I'll kick the shit out of them myself. I might be old, but you know the saying full of piss and vinegar? Well I also miss kicking asses.'

'Look at Burke acting like a cop again. I miss those days.'

*I say with a slight elbow jab.*

'Yeah, of course. There's a halligan in the truck, and other options if it comes to that. Is anyone armed? Or just some civil disobedience?'

'Just some glorified civil disobedience. The lieutenant and myself will also be making entry with you to ensure everything is above board. Because from what I understand if any part of this is sketchy Mathers will probably try and sue us. Wright you want to grab that halligan?'

*I hear the rookie speak up*

'Your not even qualified to think about those two pieces of equipment. So help me God if you so much as say anything about those I will order your FTO to take you out back and beat you with a rubber hose and then I will bounce you out of patrol so fast its not funny.'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

'No orders required here Cap. Trust me. I keep the rubber hose in the back seat at all times.' 

*I watch as the special child actually looks over to see if he can see it in the cruiser. Fuck sakes*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*As we go through the plan I groan silently when the probie speaks up about what to use on this call.  The tazer or the non-lethal shotty.  Thankfully I don't have to say anything as both Wagner and Russo talk back to him.*

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'Alright, well I've just about had enough of this shit, and quite frankly I'm n ot letting this turn into any more of a spectacle than it already is. You boys ready to go in?'

*Before I can hear an answer, I see a Kimberley police car pull up, parking along the end of the lot. The officer gets out, knowing this is his jurisdiction, and ready to flex that big dick energy.*

'What is on the go here?'

'Officer Stamps. Commissioner Burke from the ERT. Last evening the Kimberley Town Council signed an order to transfer full management and ownership of Kimberley Volunteer Fire Rescue, all its equipment and resources to the Shiloh County Fire Department as of 9:00am. It is currently 10:21 and the former chief of the KVFR has locked himself inside with at least one other and are refusing to come out. Since the town as already failed to ensure a seamless transition, the ERT has requested the County Sheriff dispatch units to assist with eviction. You can notify your duty sergeant, but you need to stay back and out of the way, we're about to make entry.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I turn to the probie, knowing my face was a mix of professional disappointment and outright gall at the nerve of the probie. Before I have a chance to open my mouth, Jerry jumps in his shit with Russo following close behind. I shake my head and turn away, going to get the Halligan tool off the truck. I come back and watch as Burke speaks to the KPD officer. I glance over to Russo.*

'You ready to do it?'

SWATsgt.png

Sergeant Scott Wright
Unit 102

Badge 2009

swatbadge.png

*The KPD officer stares me up and down and decides it's in his best interest to get back in his car and drive away, maybe call his duty sergeant, but certainly not get in my way. I think he knows I'll happily stick a SCSD sticker to his door and call it restructuring.*

'You ready to do it?'

'Yeah, let's get going. I don't want to waste all day on this tit. Let's end it now. Wright, lead the way.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Scrat, you're going to follow me and you're going to behave. Got it? There's not going to be another conversation like this. There's a lot of brass here, and you're getting to play with the SWAT boys, don't fuck it up.'

*I look up to Wright and nod, signalling I'm ready as he approaches the door.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

(It's been a week, I'm gonna push it a bit guys)

*As the SWAT Sgt breaches the door, I think, that's another couple hundred dollars it's gonna cost us. What a prick. We should sue him after this. We enter the building and hear nothing, not a single peep. No one has a gun out, but we're moving in semi tactical formation. As they head towards the main floor and the apparatus floor, I take a look at the office door to the chief. It's the nicest door in the place.  I bang on it, and yell out.*

'You've got two choices. You open the door, or we break it down. One works really good, the other ends with you bruised and in cuffs. How do you wanna do this?' Nothing. 'Alright breach it. You got the flashbang in case they're violent?' I say loudly, to no one.

'FUCK THIS! I'm out.

*A man calls out, probably that lieutenant. The sheriffs swing back just as he opens the door. I grab him and basically toss his raggedy ass towards the officer and personally go grab Mathers.*

'If you resist, they've got orders to shoot. Make my day.'

'Once a pig, always a pig.'

'Fitting, once an ignorant incompetent shit, always an ignorant incompetent shit.'

*He resists a little, but doesn't fight enough to be called resisting. I wrench his arm and look back towards Russo, realizing I don't even have a set of cuffs on me.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I move to the door as Burke orders it breached. Once the other deputies are stacked, I breach the door and step in, keeping the Halligan in hand. I move through the building at the head of the formation, scanning as we move through. As Burke says to breach the next door, I step towards it and quickly step back as I hear the other man give up. I set the Halligan aside as Burke tosses him towards Jerry and his probie Joey and follow Burke into the office. As he wrenches Mathers' arm, I grin and pass him a pair of cuffs, letting him have the joy of personally cuffing the piece of shit.*

• Haha 1

SWATsgt.png

Sergeant Scott Wright
Unit 102

Badge 2009

swatbadge.png

*As Wright gets the door open I go in with the others and keep my eyes on the surroundings as we go through the building.  As we reach the office Burke gives one final ultimatum that gets one of Mathers' Lieutenants to give up and walk out.  When the Lieutenant opens the door I watch as Burke goes by him, pushing him towards Wagner and his probie who I've heard earned the nickname Scrat.  Well, they got that so I follow behind Burke, Russo, and Wright into the office.  Faster than lightning Burke apprehends Mathers and asks for handcuffs which he is given by Wright.  There's no one else in the office so that leaves me with nothing to do as it appears this end is taken care of.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'Jamar, do the honors. Cuff this guy and start the perp walk. Look pretty, you're going to be on camera.'

*I push the volunteer firefighter against the wall, reach into his back pocket and find a badge wallet. I take that out, look at it, and sure enough, a shiny gold heroes badge, which he can no longer posses.*

'Lieutenant?' I say calling out to Blackburn. 'This suspect here seems to be carrying a badge for a department of which he is not a member. Should we seize this?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*As Wagner passes me cuffs, I put them on a defeated Mathers. Knowing I'm not a cop, I probably shouldn't do much more with this arrest than I already have, so I pass him forward to one of the deputies.*

'Wait, He's wearing a firefighter's uniform, and he is not. When you search him, make sure any chief's markings are removed from him, and if he's got a badge, he can't keep it.'

*I look up to Russo, Blackburn and Wright, seeing who wants to do the honors.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Absolutely'

*Responding to Wagner's question I turn my attention over to Burke who asks which one of us is dealing with searching and striping Mathers.  Looking to Russo.*

'Well, seeing as you're the highest ranking member of the Sheriff's Department this one is all yours unless you want to insult the guy by having the probie do it.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'I'll gladly do it.'

*I step up and cuff one of Mathers hands and grab the other one. I place his hands behind his back and cuff them. I use my foot to spread his legs and push him against the wall. After patting him down I find nothing of interest.*

'Nothing interesting but we should probably take his keys.'

*I take his key ring in case he gets bonded out before public works can change the locks. Handing the keys to Blackburn I turn towards Mathers again.*

'This agency has been absorbed by the county you are no longer authorized to represent yourself as a first responder. I am going to seize any department identification.'

*I take his badge and rank insignia and as I hand them to Blackburn.*

'Burke do you want me to cut off the patches or can they stay?'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

'I mean, he's going to be in processing and likely going to be placed in prisoner's clothes, so he can keep his shirt, I mean, depending on the investigation, that might even be county property. Make sure it's covered up though, we don't want anyone thinking he's a first responder.'

*As Russo chuckles, I turn and walk out to survey the pieces of shit we're absorbing. What a state this building is going to be to renovate. We've got two rigs I'm writing off right away, two more that I hope I can make last, and a lot of work to be done to make this into a sleeper station.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I reach into the wallet, look at the badge once more, and place it in my vest pocket. Look over for any other dept insignia or gear, I seize his hat and put that in my cargo pocket.*

'Come on Jimmie, let's do the perp walk for this guy. You lead him out.'

*I walk out to the front door and make a little attention drawing as I open the door, watching to see if my probie is following. The cameras turn towards us, two now, and I move out of the way, to make sure they can see what's happening.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*I chuckle as Russo seizes his department identification. Once Jerry tells Johnny to perp walk him and starts to walk out, I fall in behind them. As we exit the building, with Jeremy on one side of the man formerly known as the Kimberly Fire Chief, I walk on his other side, holding his arm. I keep from looking at the cameras, maintaining a poker face as Jonathan and I walk him towards Jerry's patrol car.*

SWATsgt.png

Sergeant Scott Wright
Unit 102

Badge 2009

swatbadge.png

*As the boys haul away the two heroes and I do my little chat with the media, as promised, I head back in with the chief to survey our mess. While the station itself isn't a write off, it'll certainly be a challenge to make this, livable. The bay area is more than enough, but the contents... Well, they aren't going to do well. The tanker is a write off. Just completely. Between the age, the disdain for mechanical upkeep, and the damage done recovering it from the Mill, I'm comfortable saying it's a write off.*

'Chief 2, well, not quite as new as Chief 1. Maybe we'll call this one scrap.'

'Scrap?? I know guys that'd pay a small fortune for this. 92's are rare!'

'One man's trash... Guess you could try to sell it off, make some money to offset the costs?'

'Guess this was Utility 2?' I say pointing at the very empty space behind the brush truck.

'Well, at least Utility 1 is in good enough shape to probably keep in service. I'll get my mechanics to look at it, but I think it's serviceable.'

'What about the Engine and Rescue?'

'They, I mean, they look the best kept. They're old, but I'm willing to bet they'll work. We can get some replacements, but a quick attachment of decals to this, and we can start running calls from them within the hour I'd say.'

*We walk back to the living area. Two washrooms, a small kitchenette, a giant chief's office AND two storage closets. That multipurpose room though, that's gotta change.*

'So I think once we pull out Mather's shit, we can easily fit two officers in here, maybe 3. Sizing up the multipurpose room, I think we can fit, what 9, 10 firefighters on cots in here?'

'Definitely. And maybe a couple tables to sit at. It'll be tight and shitty, but it'll work. If we can get the approvals through, we can really expand a little more and put some beds down the side of the building, have them come out through that storage closet, move that in the new wing?'

'Now, I wanted to talk to you about that. I know we've got some hires coming on, and it's not going to happen right away. I met with the Communications director, we looked over the transcriptions and one of the fines we got from the FCC was for one of your guys cursing on the radio. Would it be possible to level this off by reassigning them to this station for a shift or two?'

'Easily, we've got to move half the department around until we can get new people. What was that, Engine and Ladder? They'll staff the trucks here excellently I think.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801