2020 Car Show

Blackburn

*It's a nice sunny day for a car show as I arrive at the mall with my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner.  My wife with the kids is  driving behind me with the Datsun 240z.  Paying the fee for both vehicles we drive onward until we see two empty spots for us to take.  After backing in the Roadrunner in one spot I wait until Andreea backs the 240z into the spot next to me before shutting off the engine and getting out.  Putting on my 101st airborne cap I see my wife exit the 240z and gathers Logan and Vanessa next to her.*

'Well, I'm taking the kids into the mall.  Will see you in a few.  Want anything from the food court?'

'Maybe a slice of pizza if there's a sbarros.  Don't spend too much.'

'Sweetheart, you just spent $40 just to display our vehicles in this show.  I think that means I deserve a nice dress or two.'

'Alright, alright.  Guess that means I'll be needing to take you out on a date or two to give you reason to wear them.'

'Yep!'

*Seeing my wife turn with a grin she leads the kids towards the mall leaving me with the cars.  As I watch her disappear into the crowd I pop open the Roadrunner's bonnet to display the 343 V8 inside it.*

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*Having heard about the carshow, and just confirming the new 258 has completed retrofitting, I thought this would be the perfect time to unveil it. I know quite a few sheriffs will be there in their own rigs, and only a couple know about this coming into service, so I think it'll be quite the attention grabber. With the lights off, no real uniform on me save for a badge, and a laminated placard for the window with Shiloh County Sheriff and the badge on the passenger's seat, I drive down the road. 

Coming up on the car show, I see a few Mustangs with hoods popped, some older cars, and some real ricers. I pull onto the lot, the attendant stopping me to make sure I'm allowed, and I show him the approval from the organizers.*

'All good today, she's a duty car' *I say, pointing to the mass of electronics recently added to the console area.*

'Oh, I didn't realize.' He looks in and sees the badge on the seat. 'Sheriffs aren't doing too bad for themselves are they?'

'Drug crime doesn't pay for the dealers, but sometimes the spoils aren't so bad.'

*As I shift back into gear, I slide the light switch to on, a little bit of a difference from regular patrol cars with 3 positions, this one has only two modes, go, and go faster. Depressing the airhorn button a couple times as I pull on the lot, I get some attention, before backing into a spot and turning the lights, and engine off. 

*I toss the placard on the dash, pull a sheriff's hat from the back seat and put it on as I get out of the driver's seat.*

sd258.png

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*I pull up to the gate, James and Katie in tow. Rolling down the window of the maruader. The guy running the gate is in his early 60s.*

'Excuse me sir, What is this car? If its a late model crown victoria I can't allow it to be entered.'

'This isn't a Crown Vic. This is a 2003 Mercury Marauder. Limited 2 year only production run.'

*The guy looks over the car.*

'It doesn't look special. Looks like a fancy crown vic,'

Katie: 'Dad, Are they going to let us in?'

*She says as she starts flapping her hands against her leg*

'I've entered this show every year since 2015 and never had a problem. This car is very rare and I out of the handful of marauders in Shiloh County this is the only one in dark pearl blue.'

James: 'Yeah this is one out of 328 made!'

*James says looking up from his switch in the back seat. Telling this guy what I was about to say. Another one of the organizers walks over, This one a few years younger.*

'Hey nice marauder, I don't think I've seen one in this color. Come on in!'

'Thanks!'

*I hand him 2 10s and drive in, I find a spot and back in.*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*As I'm grabbing a folding lawn chair out of the Datsun's trunk I spot a familiar looking Mustang parking across from my Roadrunner.  Yeah that definitely looks like the Mustang that's going to become 258 for the traffic division.  It looks like the Commissioner is driving it too.  Guess he wants to do some PR with it.  As I pull out the chair and close the trunk I'm about to go over to be sure when a Marauder backs in to the space next to my 240z.  Looks like Russo has arrived as well.  Now I know his car is rare but for some reason I just can't fully see it as a show car.  Well, it's here on display so I guess it's a show car today.  Setting down the folding chair behind my cars I take a seat and watch the crowd as they look at the cars.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*I park next to blackburn's Nissan and get out of the Mercury. The kids get out as I walk over to Andrew.*

'Andrew how are you, you met my kids before right?'

*I say to Blackburn as James and Katie walk up.*

'Hi, You must work with my dad. I'm Katie! '

'And this is james if he would stop playing animal crossing'

*I say as I lightly swat James in the back of the head.*

'What did I say about bringing that game here!'

'That I was going to socialize today with my sister.'

'Introduce yourself to Andrew.'

'Hi, Andrew'

*Without a beat he looks up for a moment and goes back to playing animal crossing.*

'That's about all were gonna get from him. New video game about doing chores to pay a loanshark raccoon. I don't get it. Anyone else from work here?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Yeah, for as long as we've worked together I think this is the first time I've met them'

*Getting up from my chair I return the greetings to Katie and James.  Walking up to the Roadrunner's window I reach in and grab a can of A&W Root Beer from a case I left behind between the front and back seats.  Cracking it open I take a sip as Russo asks if anyone else from work is here.*

'Don't really know but that looks like Commissioner Burke over there with the Mustang we seized over a month ago.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'I have an older daughter too but she's preoccupied with hating me'

Katie: 'She called you a peice of shit cuck after you called her a bitch the other night.'

'Katie, What did I say about telling people that?'

Katie: 'We don't tell people about what other people said about them.'

'It looks like theres a food truck over there how about you guys get us some breakfast. Get me a bacon egg and cheese on a roll.'

*I hand James and Katie 2 Twenties.*

'A little ballsy showing off the car before we roll it out.'

'I think the kids would say Big dick mood.'

*James looks up as he's walking away with Katie.*

'Nice try dad.'

*I chuckle*

'At Least I tried.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Ballsy? I guess, but what's a lil PR for the department going to harm us?  If I wasn't working on my Vette on my time off I'd say let's find an old Ford from the 40s.  Then restore that to how the department used to have them back in the day and bring it here next year.'

*Taking a sip of my A&W I scan the crowd.*

'How much you want to bet he'll flip on the lights and sirens to entertain the kids?'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'Bringing the car out before we even get it in service.'

*I pause when blackburn mentions the idea of restoring an old cop car for the department.*

'Ya know I wouldn't mind doing something a little newer. Maybe we can take a ride over to the academy one day and see what they have laying around. I've heard theres a few old cars laying around. Rumor has it they still have a mustang or a caprice there.'

*Seeing a small crowd form around the new mustang I see Burke get in the car and flip the lights and siren on.*

'You called it'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Well I guess that was no bet, but a Mustang huh?  Well good.  Next year we can bring that and 258 back to pair them up side by side.'

*Sitting back down in my chair I set my rootbeer in the cup holder.*

'Still think something older from the 40 or 50s would be good show car wise though.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*With the kids interested in the siren switch, and the adults interested in the county's newest enforcement tool, I could definitely use some backup. Strange I haven't run into a single person from the Sheriff department. A few city cops, but that's about it.*

'Yeah, no way the department would ever spend money on a car like this, but after a recent drug raid, SCSD seized the car and with all that's been happening with street racing on our highways, we needed something to stay competitive and really put an edge out on the enforcement side.' I say to one of the curious men asking about the car. 'We haven't actually rolled it on the street yet, it just finished outfitting yesterday, so after today, it'll be staffed and catching speeders and dangerous drivers. The ERT works with all the agencies to find creative and new ways to ensure the safety of the county.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I walk through the crowd. Seeing burke playing with the siren and lights.*

'Commissioner. How nice of you to show up with my new traffic unit.'

*I say with a chuckle*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Seeing Russo head on over to Burke I decide to follow to say hello as well.  After Russo makes his remarks I figure on chiming in as well.*

'Your mid-life crisis so bad you had to borrow from us, sir?'

*Yeah, that was a terrible joke.  Well, so much for my job.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*Russo makes his remark, which earns a smile from me. A hearty, honest smile.*

'I was going to bring along your new Captain's unit, but Yellow Nissans aren't quite their type for this show. Don't worry, it'll be the best unmarked in the county. No one will see it coming.'

*Before Russo has a chance to chime in, a vaguely familiar face joins us and gives me shit about some middle age crisis.  Us, and sir? Must be sheriff*

'Play it easy there bud, the only thing on that car that belongs to the department right now is the placard. That's still an ERT rig, and if you're not careful, that'll be the new commissioner rig.' I say with a cheeky grin.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*I chuckle at Burke's remarks.*

'I never figured you for a car guy. But I know Blackburn has a thing for small Nissans, maybe he can take it.'

*I say with a chuckle.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Blackburn! Right, that lieutenant from street ops. That's where I know him.*

'Not much of a car guy, but I do like a good car. I'm thinking when the Tahoe goes to pasture, I'll get one of these to replace it. Now, I just need some off road emergencies that just happen to drastically decrease it's life.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'I left the street years ago.' *Looking around for eaves dropping ears.* 'I don't think I could go back to dealing with these people without some of that Batman belt fun. Hey, tell me, what kinda cars you guys bring?'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'They're right over there'

*Bringing up my hand I point behind me with my thumb to where my cars should be parked across the lane.*

'The purple Plymouth Roadrunner and the blue Nissan 240z are mine.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

'Yeah Capt, I'm sorry to say this but even though I know your car is rare it's sadly not much of a show car'

*Damn it I'm saying stuff this morning that's going to come back to haunt me in the future.  Really putting my foot in my mouth.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*me and kat pull into the car show lot and get out and start looking at the cars*

'holy i don't think i've ever seen this many cars in one spot before'

'i have i love car shows but i haven't been too one since i moved outta Maine"

me and kat walk walk around the show before kat stops to look at a cherry red GTO*

''James this is one of my favorite cars i've always wanted one but never had the money to get one we gotta find the owner to see if he knows any for sale'

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*As Blackburn says he doesn’t think my car is a show car my kids return handing me my breakfast.*

James: ’But there was only 328 of them made.’

’Yeah and it’s better then that boomer Mobile you have. My car appeals to younger people and I don’t have to sell a kidney to maintain it.’

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Figuring it best to not respond to that I focus my attention to the Mustang that's going to be 258 for the traffic division in the future.  We're going to need more cops in the traffic division on our shift before I actually assign it to anyone but it's going to look pretty slick on the road when it goes out.*

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321