High Speed MVA

M. Price

*I Hop out of the engine, slipping my helmet on my head as Valentine brings us to a stop and take a quick look toward the car and pole*

'Well, first thing to do when we get the all clear is check the damage on the car. See if we can get the doors open without the jaws, if not we'll be cutting or spreading depending on the damage. Its hard to tell what we are dealing with from here and with no word on the power, I'm not having us move in.'

*After taking a look I grab my radio and call in to dispatch*

"Engine 11 is on scene, Do we have any update on getting the power off?"

*I hope one of the dispatchers at least has an idea if no one on scene did*

engine11lt.png

Lieutenant Katherine Baker
Engine 11

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1704

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"10-4 Engine 11, standby for an update on utilities."

*I check with the power dispatcher, obviously annoyed, and they report back they're literally a block away.*

"Engine 11, ERT."

"Go ahead ERT."

"We've got light and power reporting they're one block away. Should be there any second to disconnect."

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

*As we arrive on scene behind the fire units, I hit the “arrived” button on the CAD, time stamp our arrival in the electronic chart and note our starting mileage. I open up my door and speak out loud to the crew at what we’ll need*

’Jumpbag, monitor, backboard, c-collar. Just throw it all on the stretcher and hold off until the light department secures the power. Work with the fire crew, see what they’ll need to do and see how we can work with them or around them.’

*I step out of the truck and note the power company trucks down the road approaching the scene. I open up the rearmost cabinet and grab a backboard slam the door shut, then open up the rear doors and throw the backboard on the stretcher as Smith gets the remaining equipment on the stretcher. I pull on a pair of gloves as I do a quick size up of the incident and approach the fire engine, staying well away from the vehicle involved, pole, and overhead wires*

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

*id get out of my seat as I am shaken I’d grab all the gear we need for the call  and also grab gloves have a feeling this gonna be messy call I’d look at the patient but at far view because I don’t wanna get electrocuted  I notice blood on his face I’d turn my head and see the power company arrived Well this gonna be a messy call*

medic1emt.png

EMT Aylssa Smith
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2020

*As we pull up to the scene, I cut the siren and park the truck, applying the airbrake. I step out, glancing towards the car. Looks like we'll be waiting for a bit to get the power cut off. I glance over to the lieutenant, wondering if we have an ETA. As I wonder, I see the power truck pulling up and the linemen getting out and starting to get to work.*

"Looks like we won't have to wait too much longer for the power to get cut.'

ladder31ff.png

Firefighter Dave Wilson
Ladder 1

Badge 2013

*Seeing the power company arrive and do their job I figure it's only a matter of time now.  Might as well be a bit more ready.   Going back to the engine I grab a halligan as I figure on using it to pry the door open if it won't open the usual way.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*I watch the power company do their thing, they get the power shut off and one of them comes over to me.*

'Powers off. You can safely get in there now.'

'Alright. Thanks.'

"Engine 11, Rescue 1. The powers out, lets get to work."

*I decide to put it over the radio to make spreading the word easy. I then make my way over to the vehicle, checking it over as my team gets to work.*

engine11lt.png

Engine 11

Badge 1704

“Engine 11, Rescue 1 Powers out lets get to work”

*i key up well getting off the rescue*. 

“Rescue 1 Copies” 

*i release my ptt and head to where the jaws are and get them off the truck and set up just incase* 

‘Hey Wilson do you want me to get the equipment ready to set up for a dash roll if needed’ 

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

*Hearing the power is out I immediately walk on over to the Mustang.  Looking through the window I see the driver zonked out and hunched over a deflated airbag coming from his steering wheel.  Grabbing the door handle, on the driver's side, I give it a good yank.  It doesn't budge.  Tearing this car apart it is then.  Bashing out the back window with the halligan I reach in to try and hit the unlocking mechanism.  Can't reach it and I'd rather not bash in the front door's window.  Don't really want to add cuts from broken glass to the driver's list of injuries.  Alright then, let's just jam the halligan in the crack between the door and the frame and just pry it open then.  As I prepare to do that by indicating that I am going to do it I wait for suggestions from others.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*Rogers comes over with the spreaders.  Yeah, okay, it'll be easier to pop the door open with that.  Putting down my halligan I grab the spreaders from Kat and shove as much as I can into the door crack.  As I operate the spreaders the door makes a nasty metallic crunching and bending sound as it breaks open.*

'Door's open'

*Setting down the spreaders I grab onto the door and push the tools away with my foot to clear the area.  Pulling the door open the rest of the way I give room to the rest of the crew here so they can get to the driver.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*seeing cook open the door then push it the rest of the way i key up on my radio*.  

“Rescue 1 To Engine 11 Doors open clear for ems” 

*i release my ptt and grab the spreaders and bring them back to the rig and grab tools to disconnect the battery and walk back over*. 

‘Hey cook pop the hood lets get this battery disconnected and check for any leaks’ 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

*Rogers asks me to pop the hood and I nod.  Reaching into the cabin of the car I try the latch to pop it open first.  Again that doesn't work.  Well with the front end of the car smashed in by the pole, why would it.  Grabbing my halligan again I walk up to the front of the car and jam it into a crack.  Pushing down on the halligan I hear metallic cracking sounds again as the hood busts open.  Stepping away from the car I leave the rest to Kat and the others.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*has the hood pops from Cook using the Halligan on it i move in and disconnect the battery and then start walking around the car checking for any leaks seeing some oil and cooliant leaking i go grab the speedy dry and get ready to pour it once the car is moved away from the pole* 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

*I take a quick look over the car with Raven, and then nod satisfactorily as Rogers pulls the spreaders and pops the driver's door, then secures the battery.*

'Good work. Get EMS in here to take care of the driver. Just stay out of their way and do what they ask.'

ladder31ff.png

Firefighter Dave Wilson
Ladder 1

Badge 2013

*i put the speedy dry down and walk up to the driver and place my fingers on his wrist and check for a Radial Pulse and find a very weak radial pulse and i key up* 

“Rescue 1 to Medic 5 Be Advised Driver has a weak pulse”

*i release my ptt and wait for EMS to start doing their work* 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

*EMS it's your time to shine now I think to myself as I stand by the engine and pull out a stick of chewing gum from my shirt's pocket.  As I watch EMS get to work I unwrap and insert the gum into my mouth and enjoy the minty flavor as I chew it up.*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*The power company secures the power and the FD pops the drivers door. As we bring the equipment up to the vehicle I hear rescue telling us the patient has a weak pulse. I take a look myself at the unconscious driver as I hand the c-collar to smith*

’Smith, go ahead and do a quick assessment. Quick physical assessment of the entire body for any traumatic injuries, and apply the c-collar.’

*As Smith does so, I lower the stretcher to about the level of the drivers seat and undo the straps in preparation to move the patient onto it*

(This is a quick assessment. Check the patient for responsiveness, we’ll assume they are unresponsive when you speak to them so check if they are responsive to painful stimuli by pinching them, sternum rub, etc. Check the head/neck for any injury/bleeding then apply the collar, then check the rest of their body for obvious injury or bleeding. We know so far the patient is unresponsive and has a weak pulse - given the mechanism of injury (the high speed car crash), this is likely due to hypovolemic shock, so you will likely find either severe external bleeding or signs of internal bleeding consistent with that)

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

*id hear that he have a guy with a weak pulse I’d walk over to the vehicle as I grab the  c collar from Doug  and Grab my bls bag  in my hand I notice he have a deep cut with a lot of blood  Behind his head and a lot of beer bottle I’d put c collar on him and  I smell his breath definitely had a lot of beer that for sure*

”Doug He Has a deep cut on his head should I bandage it”

*as I as say that I start grabbing the stuff to make a bandage*

Edited by Aidan721

medic1emt.png

EMT Aylssa Smith
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2020

*I look up from the stretcher when Smith reports finding the head laceration* 

‘Yeah go ahead and bandage it and let me know if you finding anything else’

*I say as a pull my pen out of my shirt to write down some quick notes about the head lac and other initial findings on my glove to note in the chart later. 

image.png

Paramedic Doug McGuire
Medic 1

Badge 0907

*i press my PTT and key up*  

“Rescue 1 to Scene command EMS is starting Patient care advise if there’s anything else thats needed to be done”

* i release my ptt and walk back over to the rescue putting the tools back and grab 2 bottles of water and walk over to cook and hand him a water* 

‘Here’s a water cook not sure if you wanted one’ 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

*has cook takes his water and takes a sip* 

‘eh no problem better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it... i wonder what caused this dude to wreck out’. 

*i open my water and take a sip and watch has EMS continues to work on the patient* 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

*I keep watch over the action around the car, listening to the radio as well as watching to get the information I needed. I trusted the crews to do their thing without any issue, so I let them handle it after giving the initial orders.*

"Command copies Rescue 1"

*I acknowledge the radio call and watch as EMS handles the patient, happy that we got EMS into the car quickly and safely.*

engine11lt.png

Engine 11

Badge 1704