DeRuvo's Italian Restaurant

Blackburn

Located on the corner of N 1st Street and Dekalb Street in Fort Shannon.  Founded in 1905 this black tie optional restaurant is reported to be the last place gangster Ned Deloof was seen alive in 1934.  If you look closely bullet holes, that have never been covered, can still be seen in the walls.

authentic-italian-restaurant-2377.jpg

• 9 months later...

*I walk into the restaurant and approach the hostess stand. O'reilly has yet to show up. Traditionally a Black tie optional restaurant on weekends but relaxed on weeknights. I have decided to wear a black polo with khakis. I can see the dining room isn't crowded so there shouldn't be that much of a wait.*

'Russo, party of 6. were waiting on one.'

*Walking back to the family.*

'He's late. I don't like that. It's disrespectful.'

Ashley: 'Disrespectful to who exactly, Dad?'

'Me, you this family. Is this what he thinks of us?'

Ashley: 'Stop being ridiculous'

Stephanie: 'Quit it you two. Ashley text him, Zach stop being so critical'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*I curse internally as I pull up at the restaurant. I was running a solid fifteen minutes late to the dinner. Great first impression to make with the Captain, Ricky. I step out of my car and adjust my navy blue blazer. I fiddle with the collar of my shirt and pull my phone out of my pocket after it dings. I open the text from Ashley and read it, wincing slightly.*

'Where are you??? Dad's not impressed, Ricky.'

*I sigh and type out a reply as I walk towards the door.*

'Walking in now. I'm sorry Ashley, traffic got me.'

*I press send and walk inside, seeing Ashley and her family standing inside the door, waiting to be seated. I walk up to Ashley, touching her arm and linking hands with her.*

'I'm so sorry I'm late, Ashley. Traffic was snared - there's a wreck a couple blocks over.'

*I then look up to the Captain, extending my hand.*

'Apologies, sir. It shouldn't have happened.'

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1943

'Apologies, sir. It shouldn't have happened.'

*I see Ashley glaring at me. I extend my hand.*

'I know that why we leave early in this family. But it is understandable.'

Stephanie: 'My husband can be an ass sometimes. Hi I'm Ashley's mother. Stephanie.'

*Steph introduces herself.*

'I think you met James and Katie as well.'

*I say as I gesture at them. As I look back I see he looks nervous and a tad overdressed*

'You dressed to impress. I like that.'

*The hostess walks up.*

'Are you ready to be seated?'

'Yes'

*As we walk to the table Steph whispers in my ear. Trying to be discreet*

Steph: 'Do not make an ass out of yourself, he seems like a nice boy'

*I whisper back*

'I was that nice boy 20 something years ago and 9 months later we got Ashley'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I shake the Captain's hand, making sure to keep my grip firm.*

'Yes sir. It won't happen again.'

*I smile as Stephanie introduces herself.*

'Oh, you're Mrs. Russo. I assumed Ashley had a sister she hadn't told me about,' *I say smoothly.*

*I nod to James and Katie, giving them each a smile. I glance back to the Captain and nod as he says I dressed to impress.*

'I always dress to impress, sir. I don't ever pass up a chance to get dressy. Simple pleasures, you know?'

*I walk to the table with the family, pulling out Ashley's chair for her. I scoot her to the table and then take a seat next to her.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I always dress to impress, sir. I don't ever pass up a chance to get dressy. Simple pleasures, you know?

’Understandable. I personally like to keep casual. Since they want me to dress up in the office.’

*I pull the chair out for Stephanie as he does the same for Ashley.*

’So O’Reilly. Tell me about yourself.’

*The waitress cuts him off asking for our drink orders.*

‘I’ll have the Dewars on the rocks.’

*I look over at O’Reilly to see what he orders.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I take a seat next to Ashley and look over at Captain Russo as he asks me about myself.*

'Well sir, what exactly would you like to know? I'm an open book.'

*The waitress cuts me off, and I wait for her to come around to get my order.*

'I'll take an Old Fashioned.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'I'll take an Old Fashioned.'

*I nod in approval. Steph orders a red wine and suggests ashley order the same one. The kids order soft drinks.*

'Not a bad choice of drink, So I know all the pedigree information on you.'

Ashley: 'Dad stop being a cop.'

'I'm not being a cop.'

Ashley: 'Yes you are'

Ashley: 'Don't tell him anything you don't want to. He does this to all my boyfriends'

'No I don't'

Ashley 'Every one of them. What about Jake, You arranged a traffic stop on him.'

'Yeah and you know how much weed they had in his car'

Steph: Both of you stop it. Ricky where are you from?

*Step asks before we start a scene.*

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I chuckle as Russo says he wants my pedigree. Ashley starts in on him, and I take her hand, squeezing softly.*

'It's alright, Ashley. He's just being a dad.'

*I look to Stephanie as she asks where I'm from.*

'Here in Fort Shannon. Born and raised, lived here all my life. Dad is a State Patrolman, and so was my grandfather. I broke the tradition by going county. Mom is a nursing supervisor at County.'

*I look at Zach expectantly for the next question. I had known tonight would be more of an interrogation than anything else. After all, I was dating the Captain's daughter. I could only expect him to want to know everything about me.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Well, yes sir I do understand that. And my dad and grandpa are a little disgruntled I went county instead of state. But I did at least stay in the family business. And, the way I see it, almost all State does is traffic. I don't mind traffic, its part of the job, but I don't want to be a traffic cop. I like being a patrol deputy. Doing real police work.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'So let me get this straight, you would rather pass up unbeatable benifits and the best pension in the state so you can fuck with crackheads in southriver. Good to know.'

*Ashley glares over at me.*

Ashley: 'Dad...'

'I want him to answer. Are you planning on staying in patrol or have you peaked? You looking to get your stripes?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I stare across the table at Russo.*

'You work here, Captain. Why did you choose the Sheriff's Department? You're right, the State does have better benefits and a good pension. And you're right, Cap, I do like to fuck with crackheads in Southriver. '

*I squeeze Ashley's hand again.*

'It's fine, Ash. I don't have any problem answering the questions.'

*I take a breath, but continue my eye contact with Russo.*

'No sir, I don't think I've peaked. I'd like to get my stripes and promote. And if you'd really like to know my plans for the future, I'd like for it to be Captain, or maybe even Chief Deputy O'Reilly. Who knows, maybe one day it'll be Sheriff O'Reilly. Is that good enough for you, sir? Or is Captain too lowly an ambition?' *I ask challengingly.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'You work here, Captain. Why did you choose the Sheriff's Department? You're right, the State does have better benefits and a good pension. And you're right, Cap, I do like to fuck with crackheads in Southriver. '

*Ashley looks noticeably uncomfortable and O'Reilly trys to comfort her*

'No sir, I don't think I've peaked. I'd like to get my stripes and promote. And if you'd really like to know my plans for the future, I'd like for it to be Captain, or maybe even Chief Deputy O'Reilly. Who knows, maybe one day it'll be Sheriff O'Reilly. Is that good enough for you, sir? Or is Captain too lowly an ambition?' 

'For your information, When I first went into law enforcement before you were even a thought the state had parity with county and was on a freeze for years so given my options I went with county. When state reopened hiring I was already on the sergeants list and Ashley was on the way so i think it would be grossly irresponsible to restart my career to become a statie. I had a new family I had to provide for and we were looking at houses. It just seems like you had an opportunity that you could have taken. I know nepotism is the name of the game in the Saratoga State Police.'

*I continue to make eye contact with him, I can see Ashley and Steph ready to try and prevent us from making a scene out of the corner of my eye.*

'As for moving up in the department, I like that kind of attitude. Ive seen many deputies with leadership potential pass up opportunities. I'm glad your thinking ahead. I just don't want to see my daughter with someone who will get complacent. As for upper management its a political shell game. As you may or may not know anything after captain is appointed and not protected by civil service. Therefore its a double edge sword. I may be looking at chief deputy in a few months but upper brass gets recycled every four years. I have2 kids that go to private school One that goes to a private university One with special needs and they all will be heading to college in a few years. So to answer your question about my rank being too lowly of an ambition, No my rank is a safe ambition to continue providing for my family.'

*I do not break eye contact with him for the entirety of that. The waitress comes back with our drinks*

Waitress: 'What will you have to order?'

'I will have the veal francese over fettuccini.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'I did have an opportunity to be a State Patrolman, yes Captain. They do have better benefits, sure. But I chose to serve my county, my town, my community. My people. To do real police work to keep the streets I live on safer. I'd expect you to understand that, sir, since it seems you made the same decision. I chose not to ride my father's coattails and to make my own path, instead.'

*I stare him down across the table, determined not to break contact first.*

'Upper brass only gets recycled when and if the sheriff does, if then. I am well aware of the politics involved with going past Captain, and intend to play the game if I go that far. Now, if being one of your deputies isn't a good enough job for me to date your daughter, then you're just going to have to come to accept that I'm dating Ashley and you don't like it.'

*As the waitress comes around, I sip my Old Fashioned and debate my order for just a moment.*

'I'll take the veal parm.'

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Upper brass only gets recycled when and if the sheriff does, if then. I am well aware of the politics involved with going past Captain, and intend to play the game if I go that far. Now, if being one of your deputies isn't a good enough job for me to date your daughter, then you're just going to have to come to accept that I'm dating Ashley and you don't like it.'

*I take a sip of my Whisky as the rest of the family orders*

'Now let me get one thing straight. I never said you weren't good enough.  I just want to figure out what kind of person is dating my daughter before deciding whether or not if I like them or not. So before you get defensive take a step back and realize who your talking to.'

Ashley: 'Dad, Ricky stop.'

Steph: 'Don't cause a scene'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'You asked for my pedigree, not what I'm like. I know it's hard to realize that those are two different things, but they are in fact separate from each other.  As far as my career goes, I am an ambitious deputy with goals to go high. What else would you like to know about me, Captain?'

*I sip my Old Fashioned again, trying not to let my irritation show. I should've known that Russo would push my buttons and try to get under my skin. From what Ashley said, it was his typical style.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'You asked for my pedigree, not what I'm like. I know it's hard to realize that those are two different things, but they are in fact separate from each other.  As far as my career goes, I am an ambitious deputy with goals to go high. What else would you like to know about me, Captain?'

'What are you expecting from this relationship. Long term or are you just going to break her heart? Because break her heart remember I can hurt you in more ways than you can imagine.'

Ashley: 'Dad Stop Now'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*I look over at the Captain, surprised he'd ask. It seemed a bit out of place to ask that at our first official meeting. But if he really wanted to know, then fine.*

'Captain, if I intended to just break your daughter's heart, then I most certainly would not have taken the time to come to dinner with you and the rest of her family. And please, there's no need to threaten me. I think I'm a little more current on fighting than you are.'

*I had intended the last as a tease, and hoped it came across that way, but who knew how the Captain would take it.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Captain, if I intended to just break your daughter's heart, then I most certainly would not have taken the time to come to dinner with you and the rest of her family. And please, there's no need to threaten me. I think I'm a little more current on fighting than you are.'

'Who said I'm threatening you. I'm just laying out my gameplan for you if and when anything were to happen to my daughter if this went south. And if were talking about fighting. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know'

*I take another sip of my drink. I was starting to like him but he keeps trying to one up me.*

Ashley: 'Both of you stop it now'

Steph: 'Zach, people are looking'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Please, Captain, we all know that was a threat. No need to beat around the bush.'

*I sit back in my chair and take Ashley's hand again, squeezing it. I was definitely irritated, but I knew I needed to keep it under wraps for both her and my job. And plus, I didn't really want to cause a scene here. Ashley would be embarrassed.*

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'So if your going to take that as a threat, maybe a reassignment to the jail division should be in order both to keep you safe an as a conflict of interest.'

Steph: 'Zach calm down now'

Ashley: 'Ricky hes not going to back down, just let whatever point your trying to make go.'

'Yeah Ricky. If were whipping our dicks out you're not going to win this one.'

Steph: 'So Ricky what do like to do outside of work?'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109