Shots Fired - Sheriff Involved

W. Burke

‘You see the news today? I actually had to dig to find any reference to either of us. Means they’re forgetting about it, I’d say we’ll be good.’

‘I certainly hope so, I don’t know if I can take another blow, not just politically, but this stress is killing me. The doctor has me—‘

*A sharp noise pierces the air as the glass window shatters and Stanley’s chest explodes in a rain of red. Holy shit. I drop to the ground and look around, nothing. There’s blood all over me, Jesus Christ, they shot him. I look up, trying to focus among the screaming and see a gaping hole in the centre of his chest. I wouldn’t call it officially, but he certainly doesn’t look alive.

*I reach up, grab his waist and wriggle free his pistol, tucked neatly away in a skeleton holster under his suit jacket. I stand and scan towards the window, looking for the source of the gunfire. Three more shots ring out, whizzing through the air. I think I see a muzzle flash on the other side of the street, but I can’t be sure. The sound of one of the bullets sinking into flesh thuds as I look down and see Stanley hit again. I refrain from shooting, since I don’t know where to fire. A second bullet whizzes past my leg hitting the chair which explodes splinters into the air and the third bullet whizzes higher and closer, catching my forearm, but not landing squarely. The pain shoots up and I nearly drop the gun. My left arm clenches the firearm while my right arm goes limp and I drop to my knees. I lay the pistol on the floor after about 6 seconds and pull out my phone. Not a single shot has been fired since. Was I intended or accidental? Does he think I’m dead? I try to dial 911, but my fingers are shaky, so I hold the power button and double tap the red emergency button that appears on the screen. *

‘911 Where is your emergency.’

‘Black Matter Coffee on Balm Lane, Oxnard.’

‘What is happening?’

‘This is Commissioner Burke, I’ve got active shooter, unknown location. Sheriff Brunner has been shot, I think he’s dead. I’ve been hit, not serious. We need SWAT and multiple EMS. I don’t know if anyone else has been injured.’

‘Okay Sir, help is on the way,’ She says, even though I know that’s not fully true. It will be soon enough to make it mostly true. ‘You say that the Sheriff is dead?’

‘Yeah. He’s been hit twice, real bad. I, I’m too fucked up to check him right now, and everyone else is panicking, but he’s got no signs of life. I only got one in the arm. I’m fine. Jesus it hurts though.’

‘Where is the shooter?’

‘Outside, across the street possibly. No visual confirmation. I think I saw a muzzle flash on a roof, but I’m not totally sure. Last shot was probably fifteen seconds before I called you. Still no shots since.’

‘Okay sir, help is coming. Oxnard PD is just around the corner.’

‘Yeah, I can hear the sirens. Tell them be careful, for jesus’ sake. We don’t need anyone else getting killed.’

‘Yes sir. Commissioner? Do you want us to call anyone for you?’ She asks, obviously nervous to break the script

‘No. Don’t tell anyone. That’s—actually, Tell Henr--, Director Goodricht. Call him directly, advise him, activate the EOC if it hasn’t been. He’ll call my wife.’

‘Okay sir.’

*I look and see the first car pull up. I hang up the phone and reach into my pocket to pull out my badge. They definitely don’t know me and I definitely don’t need to be shot again.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*The Commissioner disconnects his call and when I go to call back, I hear Oxnard PD calling their first arrival. I acknowledge the transmission and call out to Lt. Aylward.*

‘Sir, I was just speaking with the commissioner, he’s been shot and he thinks the sheriff is dead. He wants Director Goodricht to be called on this.’

‘Of course. We need to activate the EOC. Fuck, did anyone call the Sheriff’s Dept brass?’

‘I put out a radio call.’

‘No, call the captain on shift directly.’

‘Yes sir.’

*I hit the button for Duty officer for SCSD and the phone rings through to Captain Russo.*

‘Russo‘

‘This is ERT Dispatcher Tai, we have SWAT activation on an active shooter at Black Matter Coffee in Oxnard – Balmer Lane, The sheriff and ERT Commissioner have both been shot.’

‘Christ. Okay, Show me responding. Notify 200.’

‘Yes sir.’

*I repeat the same process to notify unit 200, the Uniformed Division Shift Commander.*

‘Lieutenant Blackburn, ERT Dispatcher Tai, we have a SWAT activation at an active shooter. Black Matter Coffee, Balmer Lane, Oxnard. Sherriff and Commissioner are confirmed shot, Captain Russo requested you be notified as well.’

‘Show me responding.’ He says, obviously getting up to get there asap.

*I check the screen again, now with multiple dispatchers assigned and see SWAT notification has been acknowledged by every deputy, on and off shift, with all but two actually out of station, marked as responding to station. Two are at station now. I guess we’re going to see the first due unit out very soon.*

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

*Getting inside 200 and starting up the truck I hear the radio come to life broadcasting the chatter about what happening to the Commissioner and the Sheriff.  As I'm about to shut the driver's door and head there I hear a faint gunshot sound.  Followed by another shot a second later ensuring that I am not hearing things.  Closing the door I drive off and head around the station to the front.  Seeing two bodies on the pavement outside the front door I drive 200 towards them while hearing the pinging sounds of something hitting my unit.  Fuck I'm taking fire.  Stopping 200 in front of the downed bodies I get out of the truck staying low.  I recognize the men as Brooks and Kane.  Fuck, they were just getting off shift and heading home too.  Going to Brooks I grab him by the shirt collar and look to a deputy looking out the door.*

'Hey, get Kane, he's hit bad too.'

*As the deputy comes out to take Kane I drag Brooks inside to the front lobby and take cover behind a wall out of sight.*

"200, ERT, Station is taking fire, 2 deputies down"

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*I finish writing up the Padlock request to the Vice unit. Hopefully this puts a stop to this bar and the amount of shit it caused in Pearl Basin. As I hit send my phone rings.*

**Phone call**

‘Russo’

‘This is ERT Dispatcher Tai, we have SWAT activation on an active shooter at Black Matter Coffee in Oxnard – Balmer Lane, the sheriff and ERT Commissioner have both been shot.’

‘Christ. Okay, show me responding. Notify 200.’

*I get up from my desk and grab my portable off the charger and clip it to my belt and attach the shoulder mic that I keep in my desk drawer. I walk over to the standing opening it and pulling a cardboard box from the top shelf. I open it and put my white bulletproof vest over my uniform shirt and put my jacket over it. I as I leave my office to go downstairs, I grab the microphone. *

“400 to ERT notify all units to respond to Black Matter Coffee on Balmer lane. Active Shooter Unit, 500 is down. ERT Commissioner is down as well. Repeat 2 officers down. Active shooter no scrip as of yet. Oxnard police should be responding as well.”

*As I run down the stairs, I see some admin officers start to get suited up. It’s still rather early for them. As I get to the first floor, I see a small army of my guys running out the door from the squad room to the parking lot. *

“400 advise traffic to get ready to set up a route from the scene to the hospital and call county general to get the blood bank ready.”

*I open the front door to the stationhouse and walk out to 400. As I approach the car, I hear a loud bang and an intense pain in my left shoulder and the wind is knocked out of me. I feel warm and wet. I hear another 2 bangs which are clearly gunshots. I turn and look around as I see a deputy on the ground at the top of the stairs. Were under attack. I run to one of the large concrete planters in front of the building and take cover. I see Blackburn's pickup drive up. He jumps out and makes a beeline for another deputy down.*

'Sniper! Stay low!'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

“400 to ERT notify all units to respond to Black Matter Coffee on Balmer lane. Active Shooter Unit, 500 is down. ERT Commissioner is down as well. Repeat 2 officers down. Active shooter no scrip as of yet. Oxnard police should be responding as well.”

"Uhh, that's affirmative sir, Oxnard PD is on scene. SCSD has been dispatched as SWAT, Oxnard has not requested additional SCSD presence yet, Oxnard confirming no active gunfire."

*I guess 400 doesn't keep his radio on, and missed the broadcast of the initial message for notification for SWAT. Wondering why he's ordering all deputies out of Fort Shannon into Oxnard though.*

“400 advise traffic to get ready to set up a route from the scene to the hospital and call county general to get the blood bank ready.”

*Everyone respond except traffic I guess.*

"Affirmative 400, Oxnard PD has already begun an evacuation route. EMS is on scene and assessing and will call trauma codes as needed."

"200, ERT, Station is taking fire, 2 deputies down"

"Affirmative 200, confirming shots fired at Sheriff Station." I pause, thinking holy shit. I look towards Charles and he just gives me a wide eyed stare. This is my call. "Emergency Traffic." I press the tone to audibly warn all units. "Shot fired at SCSD Headquarters, all units lock and secure. SWAT Units available, respond with caution to SCSD. I say again shots fired with casualties at SCSD Headquarters. All units proceed with caution. Active Shooting in progress."

*I immediately send out the second SWAT page, with the abbreviated information and notify the ASTF to deploy. This is going to need coordination. This is clearly preplanned. The sheriff is down and shortly after raining bullets on the station? My bet, the shooter left that first site and is moving here.*

'Guys, I think we need to notify the FBI. Immediately.'

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

*I reach over to my mic, I'm in a lot of pain and bleeding a lot but I can still think clearly.*

"400, Officer down I'm shot and bleeding. I'm in front of the station. I don't know where the shots are coming from."

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

*Hearing the first page, I check my phone. I don't even have my car loaded up yet, and the word comes in of shots fired and the sheriff is down. Holy fuck. I hit at station and grab my bag and rifle and run back into the station. I nearly bowl over a deputy in the hallway and take a hard corner around to the stairs. I run into the bullpen and immediately start gearing up. I look over and see Greene pale, readying himself to do the same.*

'Holy shit man, the Sheriff? What do you think, should we even wait for the rest of the team to arrive, or just take the pickup to get started out there.'

*I pause for a second, and realize I'm almost shaking. Rule 12, breathe. I stop and take a deep breath, pulling my uniform shirt over my head and the tactical shirt in place of it, before starting to meticulously pull on my armour. He don't like deputies and I don't need more wounds. One purple heart is more than enough. As I get my initial loadout on, I hear the pager go off again. Checking my phone, I see a notice.*

SHOTS FIRED. SWAT DIVERT TO SCSD WITH CAUTION. MULTI DEP. DOWN. ACTIVE SHOOTER. ASTF ACTIVATED. 

'Fuck, we're taking fire.'

*I grab my radio, turn it back on, hook into my headset and pull my helmet on, readying that rifle I was planning to train on today.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*As I am headed to Oxnard with a few other units*

"Shot fired at SCSD Headquarters, all units lock and secure. SWAT Units available, respond with caution to SCSD. I say again shots fired with casualties at SCSD Headquarters. All units proceed with caution. Active Shooting in progress."

"400, Officer down I'm shot and bleeding. I'm in front of the station. I don't know where the shots are coming from."

"220 Patrol sergeant, Show me cancelling form 400 and advise any units on the same assignment to do the same. Show me returning to the station and advise the responding patrol units to form a 3 block perimeter around the station, Advise all SCSD members in the station are to stay low and away from exterior windows"

*I pull a U turn and start heading back to the station.*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

"400, confirming officer down. SWAT and EMS notified. We're going to get you help sir"

*Fuck, I always think in the back of my head stupid radio calls deserve a smack, but even think this was overkill. Jesus, if I believed in superstition, I'd think I did this to him. Typing over the Fire Station 1 Samantha PA, I prepare the message to be read out in addition to the EMS tone out alerting the Mass Casualty Team, including the Duty Officers.*

ATTENTION ATTENTION. EMS UNITS RESPONDING TO SCSD STATION, STAGE BACK FROM SCENE UNTIL CLEARED. THIS IS AN ACTIVE SHOOTER. DO NOT APPROACH SCENE UNTIL ALL CLEAR IS GIVEN. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE WITH ERT.

"220 Patrol sergeant, Show me cancelling form 400 and advise any units on the same assignment to do the same. Show me returning to the station and advise the responding patrol units to form a 3 block perimeter around the station, Advise all SCSD members in the station are to stay low and away from exterior windows"

"Affirmative 220, all units have been requested to respond with caution. Station notification is in progress."

'Do we even have a PA there? Or we doing phone banks? Someone call the front desk, see if we can get through to anyone.'

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

*Working on reports in the Platoon Room I stop what I'm doing and head to the armory when I hear that we're going under lock down as the station is taking fire.  Grabbing a ballistics vest I strap it on and get a patrol rifle.  Leaving the armory I load up the rifle and start heading towards the entry way.  They may not want me there but unless told otherwise... that's where I'm going.  As I make my way there I text Mark.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

* im working the front desk with my radio low  hearing the call on my portable which i still have  i stop a Second eyeing the civilians waiting* ‘ EVERYBODY, get away from the windows, you three reporting room 1you others  c’mere  reporting room 2 rest of you get up here away from the desk, and away from the main door ill sort you all in a minute!, m’ * the civilians scatter most away from up front By now im out from behind the desk* ‘ johnson! I want guns with sightlines of the main door a rifle and a shotgun, incase they try and assault HQ, somebody get a few spare vests or sheilds lets get some kinda barricade up,fortify the lobby !’* i bark to a few deputys who look confused as  220 comes over the air* ‘ do it buy be ready for a possible breach get the civilians upstairs conference room, lock the building down!’ * getting tossed a 590 i sling it and grab my portable from the desk charger* “ desk sergeant to 220,ive got a few civilians in the orecinct no injurys, ive orhanized and am trying to fortify the lobby, ive also told those inside to lock the building down barring critical deputys awaiting further orders” * i release my portables ptt as my desk phone rings I answer  as i see people starting to do what i asked inside* 

‘ front desk Sgt patterson speaking...’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

"ATTENTION ATTENTION. EMS UNITS RESPONDING TO SCSD STATION, STAGE BACK FROM SCENE UNTIL CLEARED. THIS IS AN ACTIVE SHOOTER. DO NOT APPROACH SCENE UNTIL ALL CLEAR IS GIVEN. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE WITH ERT."

*The PA announces as I hear a shitload of traffic advising the Active shooter taskforce to assemble. I go to my locker and grab my department issued vest.*

'Alright M2 M22, get your shit together. Were staging at North 3rd and Lyons. Grab your vests if you have one.'

"O-1 show station one full EMS assignment responding to the shooting. Staging is on North 3rd and Lyons"

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*With added help being hidden from the wall I try and pull Brooks further into the station.  Looking at him he looks kind of peaceful with his eyes shut and not even moving.  Wait, this guy was screaming just a few moments ago with his upper chest wound.  Fuck.  Checking the deputy's pulse in various extremities I find none.  No pulse.  Fuck.  Looking around the lobby to see Patterson giving orders and then I hear the windows all but shatter.  Looking back I see Dep. Johnson drop to the floor with a completely blood soaked head and bits missing.  He must've been doing where they could see him.*

'Fuck'

*Looking to Patterson.*

'Ok, nobody in the lobby.  I don't want anyone near here.  Especially without a vest or helmet on.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

* while my partner talks with a hose jocky i hear the tones before i can even reply breslin barks our orders and i circle the truck to close it all up*
’ right,  Vests and north 3rd and lyons  Got it lieu!’ * say in full texas as i tug at keiko* ‘ hey partner, follow me   lets grab our vests and saddle up!’ * me and her bolt updtairs to our lockers i pull my vest on over my uniform i can only imagine keiko does too then we meet at our van which i climb in and crank over were still hooked to various plugs but still in the bay waiting to follow breslin and our impromptu convoy to staging*

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

* by now all hells broken lose inside glass is shattered and officers are hurt luckily some spare vests line a few carts for a sort of barricade and ive by now  vested up and donned a spare SOD helmet as andrew enters* ‘ sure thing , ive got a few csdets thst were here for day truos with a few civilians  barricaded  up stairs, in patrols squad and the confrence room, we can abandon the barricades if needed and if you need the confrence room as a mass casualty point, the cadets can relocate to the detective squads or patrols, this a sniper thing or should we expect a breach attempt?’ * i say falling back into my military training*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

'It's likely just a sniper thing but if they do decide to breach we can give them the lobby and hold them from the main hallway'

*Vacating the lobby I enter the the main hallway dragging Brook's now apparent corpse with me.  He looks completely dead but I can't call it.*

'Alright I want a rifle in every corner of this hallway with their sights set towards the entryway between it and the lobby.  Maybe put a rifle in each stairwell.'

*Seeing Hawke rounding a corner I look to her.*

'You, hold where you are.'

*Looking back to Patterson.*

'Go around and make sure everyone at least has a vest.  Get more from the armory so you can hand them out if they don't have any.'

sd200lt.png

Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

* im cruiseing sround looking for stupid fools when i hear the radio explode with chatter* 

‘ oh fuck thats not fucking good’ * damn near powerslide a U turn and flip my lights on heading fir the perimiter as i key up* “ 251 to 220, show me responding to perimiter with patrol” * i release the cars mic and unclip and set my patrol Rifle in reach so i can get out throw my cost on then sling it while i push my luck and the car in the snow destined to the station*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Badge 2024

*Getting told to hold where I am currently positioned I hunker down behind the corner by taking a knee.  It doesn't seem like we're in trouble just yet so I sit here at ease with my rifle aimed at the floor and my finger off the trigger.*

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

‘ sounds good ill get vests fir thr cadets and civilians and pass em to whoever else is still inside , the armory tech can get shotguns on any choke point doorways, not in the main lobby and with hard cover’ * i say as i see deputys move my barrier carts as i head to the armory knowing somebody in there heard me the few cadets and civilian clerks in it give me an idea* ‘ cadets, one of you takes vests and helmets the other gets a shotgun to any officers by any choke pointed doors the head armory tech handles kt bkackburns orders when your done  make yourselfs useful’ * they both nod and start doing what i said as i with my dhitgun still slung start collecting vests so i can pass em out up stairs and on the way there*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘ we’ll get through this though i had not been expecting this at all, but it is what it is, and whst valentine said is right’ * i pause trying to calm down wishing i had my little revolver right now* ‘ my ladt storm tour an old lady died on me and my partner,how i was raised failing got me beat so i hait failing, but i guess we really cant save everybody thats honestly what sucks most about this job, at least for me’ * as i say thst it dawns on me thst were gonna need extra shooting stuff so i jump outta the van and me and the firefighter thst somehow got keikos number grab extras of stuff, valentine obviously staying behind Then i decide to not wait for breslin and the others after i throw the stuff into our van i climb back in and go to key  up as i tear into traffic only to not bother so i dont clog the radio like last time* 

‘ helluva first call on your first day huh partner?’ * i say to her hoping the shooter dosent decide to use us as target practice and really wishing i had my revolver as i mark our computer as responding and tben flipping our lights and sirens on kieks having opened our bay door via the in cab remote*

Edited by Vanguard

medic1519emt.png
EMT Bobby Ray Jackson
Medic 15

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1714

"400, confirming officer down. SWAT and EMS notified. We're going to get you help sir"

*I hear through the tinny speaker on my microphone as I lay against the concrete planter on the cold ground. It feels colder than it should*

That does not sound comforting

*I unzip my jacket and see my white shirt is now almost all red on the left side. I unholster my gun and try to look around from my position of cover. If they only hit my shoulder chances are they have bad aim. But what if there are more. It sounds like a barrage hitting the stationhouse. I decide to stay put. From my vantage point I can see I'm the only one outside. If I try and make a run inside I'm dead. If I stay out here I may bleed out.*

'I am not dying for this county. I am going home to see my wife and kids.'

I say trying to reassure myself. It's not working.

"400, What's the status on that rescue? is SWAT mobilized? I'm pinned down and I don't think I can make it out of here. Can anyone see where there shooting from?"

I say with a noticeable panic in my voice

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

"400, What's the status on that rescue? is SWAT mobilized? I'm pinned down and I don't think I can make it out of here. Can anyone see where there shooting from?"

"Keep radio traffic clear, there's rescue incoming."

*This is getting hectic, how do I even control all this?*

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Badge 2099

*I make my way down the stairs towards the front and see that they've all but barricaded the door. Great. There goes that plan. I lower my rifle and move with Greene to the garage and get in the bearcat. Where's the rest of SWAT?*

"ERT, 103, we're mobile now and moving in to secure."

*Greene hops in the back and only closes one door while I pull the rescue out with the lights flashing and siren on wail. No traffic, but it's meant to distract from the less armored victims.*

'Hey! We got a shelter in place plan? I'm thinking grab anyone we can, dump em in the truck and get around the back to inside, and then return for more?'

'Go for it. Jesus Christ. What's happening?'

'Fuck, I don't know.'

*I pull the truck in front of the station trying to point the back towards the doors, and the bloodstains.*

"ERT, 103 has 1 vic."

"Affirmative 103."

*As Greene hops out the back and makes his way towards our victim, I hear a potshot go off the hood of the truck. The thud of the metal hitting metal wasn't what I expected to hear. I start looking and see that the gunfire is coming from a little ways off. Not close enough to engage, but that one flash was enough to give him away. Two more come in contact with the rescue and I radio up.*

"103 has eyes on one shooter, approximately 200 feet from the duck pond, on a roof. Returning fire."

*I open the door and stick my rifle out. The backwards style opening gives me no cover, but it does allow me to shoot easier. I fire two shots off towards his general direction. A bad call, but it's suppressing fire at this point.*

'JERRY! I'M IN!'

*With that scream from the back, I get inside, swing the door shut and pull the bearcat around the back of the building towards the sallyport again.*

"103 we're clear from the front, need hands at the sally port. We've got victims needing treatment. Now."

*Jesus, did I scare him off or did we just get out of there at the right time?*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Listening to the radio traffic and the chatter at the scene, I hear that SWAT isn't coming to us. Not that they're needed at this point, they're going to an active attack on the station. I'm in the back of an ambulance, and the sheriff was loaded right before me. I look up and see the paramedic bandaging my arm and say to him.*

'Brunner's Dead?'

'We don't know that sir.'

'Most of this blood isn't mine kid. More of his internal organs are on me than him. He's dead.'

'They're rushing him to county. They got enough vitals to justify attempting.'

*I pause for a second wondering how many cops are shot and if they'll be treated by a second rate doctor because they're wasting their time on Stanley.*

'Where am I going?'

'As soon as the other ambulance is cleared, we're both going to county.'

*I don't fight it, I'm trying to be a helpful patient, so I just accept my fate, lay back and watch the swarths of men and women in uniform or raid jackets around the coffee shop. Not a single deputy there yet either. I guess secondary response lost out to under active attack.*

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801