Attempted Home Invasion Involving SCFD EMS MOS

C. Aylward

*The phones are buzzing in the call center, One of the overflows comes to my desk.*

"911 Where is your emergency?"

'Please, I need police to 12 Elk Drive, in Oxnard. I have a man in my house with a gun. He is threatening to kidnap me. Please send help my Namee is Keiko Miller 2109. The suspect with the gun is Ryan Vines, my ex. Please help me.'

"Ok I'm sending help. Is that a shield number?"

'Yes, it's my shield number.'

"Who do you work for?"

'SCFD EMS, I work on medic 22.'
"Ok did you see the gun"

'No, he showed it when he first came in. I locked myself in my room.'

"Ok stay locked in your room. Do you know what he looks like"

'6 foot, blonde hair, tattoo sleeves he was wearing a Grey hoodie, with jeans.'

"Help is on the way. Is he in the house or still outside?"
'Last I saw..... Kuso, he is banging on my bedroom door.'
'Kuso?'

'It means fuck.'

"Dually noted. Help is on the way. Stay on the line until police get there"

'What do I do if he breaks down the door before they get here?'

"Run, Hide or Fight"

*While I breifly mute the call I see Oxnard is busy and most of their units are tied up. I make the call to send Sheriff's into Oxnard for mutual aid.*

"Sheriffs units in the City of Oxnard Respond mutual aid to 12 Elk Drive for an active home invasion. SCFD EMS employee involved. Female caller states her ex is trying to kidnap her. Perp is going to be 6 feet tall, blonde with tattoos wearing a gray hoodie and jeans"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*I hear the callout as chills are sent down my spine.  I key up the mic*

'201 responding code 2-3, I'm nearby.'

*I turn off the mic and flip on my lights and sirens as I bolt thru intersections and speeding to get to the call location.*

'Hope I'm there in time.' *I say as I enter Oxnard, dodging and making my way thru traffic. I turn my sirens off.*

*I key up the mic again as I pull up to the front of the house with sirens off.*

'201 on scene.'

*I put on a bulletproof vest and unholster my service issued pistol as I walk up to the door and peek thru the front window.*

(Can I see the suspect? Does he have a firearm that I can see?  Front door locked, breached or tampered with? Need more details before making an approach. @Kekeo.Miller )

Edited by Zezinho

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2044

* by niw the rains started again this time with cracks of thunder and wind its either comming off the lake or its hurricane remains either way as the radio crackles and i hear the call my minds made up* ‘ hang on boy,time to get to work!’ * i flip my lights to slot 3 and key up flipping a u turn to head to oxnard*
” county from 230,show me responding  is there any mire uodates on the call,any weapons?” * i release the mic letting it the cars mic sit in my lap hoping dispatch heard me over Ajax as i fly code 3 with full lights and sirens*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

*I see no one thru the front window, as I hear ERT:*

"Responding units be advised, caller states perp has a gun."

*I key up the mic on my portable, saying:*

'201, 10-4. I see no one thru the front window, front door is open. Waiting on assistance to take action.'

*I take cover behind a wall as sweat runs down my face. I'm nervous. Help.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

‘what the hell, idmsint 201 a probie...how the hell is he on scene already,and where the fuck is his FTO?’ * i say outloud as i continue heading to the call as fast and as safely as the weather permits i key upafter a burst of my rumbler clears a sluggish intersection my partner barking like craxy hyped up in the background* “ 230 copys all traffic,ETA ..2-3 minutes advise any changes on scene 201” * i release my mic hurrying to get there as i finally  try to calm ajax* ‘ ajax stop it,easy boy easy’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

"230 copys all traffic,ETA ..2-3 minutes advise any changes on scene 201."

*I take my portable again and key up the mic, replying to 230.*

'201, acknowledged. Need you here as fast as possible, because I'm a probie, I won't go in by myself.'

*I turn off the mic as I stay behind the wall, occasionally checking the room by leaning left and going back.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

* by now i see the lights from 201 not bothering to aknowledge his traffic as i key up opting to leave the sirens on  a while till im at the driveway* “ county show 230 on scene” * i exit the truck after throwing it in park with a slight foreward roll my hand instinctively drawing my USP. While making my way up towards the door I watch as a medium sized dog bolts into the house. Moments later i can hear the perp yelling. Then two shots were fired.* ‘ shit,we breach probie!’ * i shout as i key up “county from 230,two shots fired on arrival,myself and 201 are entering the front of the house” *releaseing my PTT i raise my voice* ‘SHERIFFS  DEPARTMENT  WE’RE COMMING IN!’ * as i make it to the door way i address the rookie* ‘ watch your fire we might have a pissed off dog thats hurt ontop of the gunweilding perp and a potential EMT down as well, he aims at us,we put em down no hesitation i sure as shit arnt getting shot today’ * stating that i enter the house*’ cover left call out any open doors or stairs rook’* i say as i scan forward and to the right with my taclight on my weapon on*

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

*I follow Patterson as both of us see the perp and the victim on the living room. I instinctively aim at the perp and shout at the top of my lungs:*

"POLICE PUT THE FUCKING GUN DOWN AND PUT YOUR HANDS UP, NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS UNLESS YOU WANT 9MM IN YOUR SKULL!"

*I get ready to shoot. If he turns around and aims, I will shoot.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

*Allen sees the commotion in just a matter of seconds.*

'Fuck you both, I will not be stopped.'

*As he sees the perp raising gun,  Allen fires 3 times into the perp, twice in chest and once in the head.*

*He then dashes for cover in instinct, even though the perp was ready to be buried 6 feet under. He hits the panic button and keys up the mic.*

'201, SHOTS FIRED, shots fired, suspect down, victim down, roll EMS and additional deputies to secure scene ASAP.'

*Knowing the threat is neutralized, he holsters his pistol and stands up, approaching the victim.*

*He waves his hand above her head.*

'Can you hear me? Ma'am?'

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

* i fire its all instinct he dies he dies much as id prefer he dosent so he can answer for his crimes* ‘ wrong answer kid’ * as i shoot i hear the probie do so as well unsure where he hits i put three center mass Then i get the familer ringing of the ears from gunfire,everything muffles but i barely make out the probies radio call and the shooting protocol that follows,if the brass and bosses werent comming they are now as i move to kick the gun away from whats a corpse again instinctively its all training now i however dont holster my gun as i scan for the shiba that jumped our perp* ‘YOUR COVERED’ * shout knowing the kid probably cant hear me as i glance at our down EMT reaching for her neck to ensure shes both not shot and breathing the perp aimed at us so i know the shooting aspect atleast is justified i glance to the EMT best guess is shes out cold and im unsure what all the rookie transmited so my hand on her neck goes to my PTT * “county,230 need EMS a supervisior and units to my 20 shots fired by police,suspect and victim both down mark myself and 201 outta service pending shooting protocol advise responding units the family dog is down as well,dying” * releaseing my PTT i glance at the dog which could very well get up and act agressivly but i holster my USP if only to free my other hand maybe when the ear ringing dies down i can hear if the shiba is alive*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

"Affirmative, ERT Copies, sending EMS to the scene."

As I assign EMS and additional sheriff units and tone them out.

Medic 7, O-2, EDO-1, Sheriff Units, 400, 200, Available resources, respond to 12 Elk Drive, Police involved shooting. Scene safe.

Badge 1663

*I get closer as I try to listen if the victim is breathing.*

'Trying to check airways, don't talk, please.'

(breathing or not?)

*I see no shots fired at the victim or anything of the like, so I key up the mic and update ERT:*

'201, victim has no shots or anything visible, possibly poisoned. Victim is knocked out.' 

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

"200, responding"

Letting go of my shoulder mic I start making my way to Oxnard with a sigh.  At least the storm looks like it's about to clear off soon.  It's not raining anymore and the clouds are starting to lighten up.

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

*Having been requested to respond by county I can only imagine this is going to be a shitshow. I get the portable from the charger*

"400 show me responding to the police involved shooting. Do we have any supervisors on scene now?"

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

"Copy that 200, confirmed shots fired by police and others."

"201 victim has no shots or anything visible, possibly poisoned. Victim is knocked out."

"201, please confirm, are shots fired or not at this location?"

While I wait for information, I hear 400 go responding, hearing the obvious shuffle of a light job in his voice. I guess he's responding from his office.

"That's a negative 400, Oxnard PD has been requested, but all resources are unavailable, we're diverting a supervisor but he's coming down from the other end of town. Unit 200 is en route to scene as well as EMS supervisors. This has come in to us as a shots fired, police involved situation."

Badge 1663

"This is 201, yes, shots fired by police and suspect. Suspect aimed at officer and was incapacitated." I briefly respond to ERT as I wander off from the living room back to my car, opening the trunk and putting on gloves. I take the first aid kit from the car and bring it to the living room.

(I don't know first aid, but deputies are taught first aid so just pretend I did a thing or two.)

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

"Affirmative 201, 400, 200, did you both copy?"

Updating call notes, I make note that 201 did confirm shots fired at and by both parties. Clarity is important, so I put it in no uncertain terms. This will definitely be investigated, and there's a good chance I'll be lucky enough to be subpoenaed for this. Old man like me, I need whatever help I can get from my notes.

Badge 1663

* as my hearing kinda sorta returns i hear a jumble of heavily muted radio traffic,our guns per protocol need to be vouchered but the house isint technically clear even though the shooters dead so i look at the rookie whos tending our EMT hoping he can sorta hear me* ‘ rookie!, tend her if the family dog moves and is a threat put it outta its misery, ill sweep the house when the brass shows up hand over your weapon and listen to them,were outta service till they clear us,desk duty and a hospital eval,followed a shit ton of paperwork,expect to hand over your body cam too’ * saying my peice i re draw my weapon and start sweeping the rest of the house destined for the EMT’s bedroom  Where the call originated,upon entering the bedroom i scan the mess,the bullet holes and clearly a hackjob on the door by a katana on the floor,the dressers been moved and i spot a syringe with its plunger depressed* ‘well shit, he mighta jabbed her’ * i move to key up i gotta call this in* “ county from 230, advise EMS the perp potentally injected our EMT ,will attempt to confirm”

* releaseing my portables PTT i quickly finish my sweep re holstering my weapon  then head back to the rookie i left the syringe where i found it for the crime techs* ‘ hey rook!,help me turn her look for needlemarks,she got jabbed someplace go easy’ * hoping he heard me we ever so gently and carefully turn her checking the atypical needle spots when i notice a tear in her shirt at the shoulder on her back* .. ‘shit’ * i key up my portable again* “ 230,confirming injection needle mark on her back at the shoulder unknown what was injected plunger fully depressed house secure” * i release my mic a final time,its a waiting game now*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

'rookie!, tend her if the family dog moves and is a threat put it outta its misery, ill sweep the house when the brass shows up hand over your weapon and listen to them,were outta service till they clear us,desk duty and a hospital eval,followed a shit ton of paperwork,expect to hand over your body cam too’

I acknowledge the message and respond:

'Alright, sarge.'

I glance at the family dog as Patterson wanders off to search the house. It's dead. Poor dog. 

'It's dead.'

'hey rook!,help me turn her look for needlemarks,she got jabbed someplace go easy’ 

I help Jason turn her over to look for any marks or such. We both say the same thing at the exact same time:

'shit’

'Shit.'

''230,confirming injection needle mark on her back at the shoulder unknown what was injected plunger fully depressed house secure''

'What do we do now,  Sarge? How long is EMS gonna take?'

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

* after my transmission it dawns on me we both said the same thing,the probie asking whats next breaks my thought momenterrily* ‘we wait and secure our weapons,just makesure our emt is breathing its all we can do till the bus arrives and be ready for CPR if she stops breathing’ * i say recalling the officer involved shooting protocol as i eject my usp’s magazine and eject the chambered round repacking the magazine with three rounds noticeably absent* ‘ supervisiors are gonna show up as well as the lieutenant and captian and detectives and crime techs, dont touch any brass you see or anything were gonna be put on modified duty sent to the hospital and then interviewd by detectives,our guns go to the lab and then we learn our fates the perp aimed st us,we fired he fell the shootings justified as is our breach of the house bodycams and my dash cam will back it all up its just protocol’

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

‘we wait and secure our weapons,just makesure our emt is breathing its all we can do till the bus arrives and be ready for CPR if she stops breathing’ 

‘ supervisiors are gonna show up as well as the lieutenant and captian and detectives and crime techs, dont touch any brass you see or anything were gonna be put on modified duty sent to the hospital and then interviewd by detectives,our guns go to the lab and then we learn our fates the perp aimed st us,we fired he fell the shootings justified as is our breach of the house bodycams and my dash cam will back it all up its just protocol’

'Alright. We're gonna be fine, this was all in line with the policies.'

*I say as I walk over to the EMT again and listen closely to check for breathing. Thankfully, she is.*

'SARGE! She's breathing! Update ERT on this!'

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

‘Yep exactly rookie,this is treated like a crime scene now ,its just odd as the last time i responded to an officer involved shooting thst wasent the selkirk incident aftermath i was patrol supervisior and a newly minted sergeant so this is kinda wierd for me as its the second time i fired my weapon on a call,and my first fatal shooting sense ive been with the SCSD’ * i say really unsure of just what will happen but keep the uncertainty hidden*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

Pulling up on scene along with some other sheriff and EMS units I park 200 behind 230.  Hopping out of the truck I key up the radio.

"200 on scene"

Letting go of the mic I put on some gloves, grab some evidence boxes from 200, and look to some of the deputies arriving.  Instructing them to start with investigating the scene I walk in behind one of the EMS units who I think belong to M7.  Finding Patterson and Allen I motion them to come over to me.

'Alright, you know the drill.  I need your sidearms and your story.  Then you can go meet with one of the ambulances outside and get a ride to the hospital.  One by one, not at the same time.  Allen you first.  Patterson go wait by the wall.'

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321