Brush Fire Reported Call Number 20230803

A. Tai

ENGINE 1 - BRUSH 4 - Bay Street/North 9th Street 9/11 Memorial GRID I10 - Reported burning bushes. 

"911 What is the Location of your emergency?"

"The 9/11 memorial! There's a fire."

"Okay, confirm for me, the fire is in Harbor Park by the memorial? What's on fire?"

"Yes! The bushes near it. They're burning pretty good."

"Okay, is there any cars or anything other than brush near the fire?"

"No, just the road."

"Is there any near the fire that could be injured?"

"What, no? Of course not! Hurry up"

"Okay ma'am, I just need to make sure. The fire department is already responding."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

"Alarm, alarm. Brush Fire. Bay Street at North Ninth Street Fort Shannon, Harbor Park 9/11 Memorial. Engine 1, Brush 4. Brush Fire. Bay Street at North Ninth Street Fort Shannon, Harbor Park 9/11 Memorial. Engine 1, Brush 4. Respond to Brush Fire."

As the automated toner voice reads out the address, I'm already on the way to the apparatus floor. The station commander's office is right next to the floor, so I get out in a few second and start to step into my gear. Pulling my boots up and my coat on, I grab my red helmet from the locker and make my way to the truck as the others do the same. I hear the engine come to life as the door makes it mechanical noise as it rises. 

Tossing my helmet on the dash, I pull myself up to the seat and bring up the CAD to see the dispatch notes. 

"Brush 4 has a long way to come. I think we can probably get this out before they even show up. Think you can get us there Dave?"

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

Hearing the tones drop I follow the acting Captain and the others out to the bay while listening to the nature of the call.  Gearing up I climb up into my seat on the truck thinking that this will be a quick one; especially after hearing Noels comments to Valentine.

'Bet we can knock it down and then cook burgers and hotdogs for lunch before they show.  Shame we neither have burgers or hotdogs on board though.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*hearing the call i jog to the rig i had been heading to it from rollcall to do my truck check but we got called so the log from last shift on it will have to do, when i hear both Noels challenge to beat the brush crew and the mention of hot dogs i smirk* 'whats to say we cant stop on the way,or hell you think uber eats or instacart will deliver to an active fire scene cap?' * i ask with a big ole smirk as i wait for the the last door to  shut so i can   pull outta the giving an almighty long rip of the trucks air horn while i start to pull towards the  infront of the house ,flipping the sirens on as i reach it with the bumper of the rig before our merge  into traffic*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

"I'm not paying their markup! If we get this out before 4 shows, we'll stop into the store on the way back and I'll get some."

As the siren comes on, I mic up. "ERT, Engine 1, en route. How many calls did we get on this?"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* i cant help but laugh  at jens comment as i merge into traffic heading to this supposed brushfire it could be bullshit ,it could be an inferno ,either way im seeing to it my crew and i are first on scene to it as i see whiskey hop in back, the engine of the rig roars as i pull outta the stations lot,heading t our first run of the day* 

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Sounds like a plan then.  Can't imagine it being that big of a fire unless it's in that large grove of trees between the memorial and the Mustang's parking lot.  I'll pull the bumper line unless it looks small enough that it looks like a can will do the job.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

'I don't care what you use to put it out. I just don't want to be shown up by 4.'

As we come up the road, I see a little smoke rising in the not too far distance. 

'Looks like we might have at least something smokey.' I say, tapping the airhorn as we move closer and closer. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

"Engine 1, ERT, be advised came in as one call, now receiving multiple, reporting bushes with possible extension to nearby grass."

Dispatcher Amiee Tai
911 Dispatcher, EMD

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2099

*seeing the smoke as i run to the call i glance at my mirror,still no brush 4 good,focusing my mind on the hydrant mapping,not that we'll need one  i take note of a text i got from a lastshift crewmen about my closest plug being outta service but the one at the park entrence being good,wore case im sure the brush rig wouldent mind relay pumping but as i round a corner i write that off*'well your not gonna need to worry about 4 showing us up,were basically there,and im not seeing brush's lights yet'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'Yes, Ma'am'

Is my simple response to Noel responding that she doesn't care what I use to put the fire out.  Bumper Line it is then.  As we pull up on scene I glance out the window to see a bush or two on fire along with the grass in between them.

'Yeah, this will barely be 5 minutes'

I say more to myself as the Engine comes to a halt and I hop out.  Heading to the front of the engine I pull the line off the bumper and get in position to knock down the fire.  Looking back to Dave I give him a nod to let him know I'm ready for the charge when he is ready to give it.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

* as i pull up to the fire i angle the rig ,poping the left front tire on the curb  so were nosed in to the fire area throwing the truck in pump the very second it settles,as i hop out in two steps im at my pannel,already bumping the RPMS so we can flow,when i get the nod from landon i open the bumpers discharge and let him o to work  returning his nod as i glance for aproaching lights,still not seeing any*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

As the truck stops, both firefighters with me hop out before I even call us on scene.

"ERT, Engine 1, on scene, we've got a small fire here among some bushes and brush, we'll be laying a line, my designation will be Harbor Park Command."

I climb out of the cab and step forward towards the bump, while Cook gets to work on a handline.

"Alright, if anyone saw how this started, I need to speak with you, if you didn't see it start, I need you to leave." I yell out to the small crowd forming to watch us."

I hear an approaching siren in the distance, sounds like one of our trucks, likely the brush, but it's still far, far out yet, nothing more than an ambient whine. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

Seeing the nod back to me I look back at the fire and open up the nozzle to the line.  As water spews out from the nozzle I keep it aimed at the small fire on the bushes and grass until it's all out.  Closing the nozzle up I give a thumbs up and look back.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

• Burke changed the title to Brush Fire Reported Call Number 20230803

As the smoke starts to dissipate to almost nothing, I key the mic up.

"ERT, Harbor Park Command, you can stand down Brush 4, we've got this out now, we're going to do a quick overhaul and we'll be clear."

"Come on boys, let's check this and then we've got places to be. I hear lunch calling our name."

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*after i get landons thumbs up i close out the bumper line and thotttle down the truck a quick glance at my gauges and the water level has hardly moved,plenty on board for another fire if i need to prime the pump,looking back i finally see the brush's lights  as jen tells dispatch they can cancel them* 'think 4s mad?' * i ask with yet another smirk as i move to help landon repack the line he pulled after i prod with a ha,then its whatever overhaul there is*

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

With help from Valentine I roll the line back up and place it back in it's spot on the bumper.  Hearing Dave's question I ignore figuring Noel or Anderson can answer that one as I don't care.  Should've been faster.  Heading back over to the brush for overhaul I glance at it and move some burnt grass around with my foot as I quickly look for spots that might not be quite out yet.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

'Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be heart broken about getting to do a whole lot of nothing.' I say, as I grab the rake to help haul up the last of the grass and make sure it's good and out. 

'Looks like we got this ready to call quits. What do you think Cook?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

"ERT Show Engine 1 clear, we're going to be on the way back to the station shortly." I say into my portable as we pack up and make our way back to the truck.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001