Reckless Driver on I48 call#03032024

TRAFFIC UNITS RESPOND TO A RECKLESS DRIVER FORT SHANNON I48 NEAR THE DEKALB ST ENTRANCE.

Time:1408 Weather: Raining

*I look up at my screen and see a new call for service pop up. Looks like traffic condition. I look at the call notes and see a possible intox*

*Sheriffs radio*

"Traffic units respond to a Reckless driver on I 48 last seen west of the Dekalb st intersection headed towards I 484. Caller states its going to be a black ford expedition, Caller states that the vehicle is weaving between lanes and has bounced off a guard rail. No further information."

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

"Traffic units respond to a Reckless driver on I 48 last seen west of the Dekalb st intersection headed towards I 484. Caller states its going to be a black ford expedition, Caller states that the vehicle is weaving between lanes and has bounced off a guard rail. No further information."

I proceed with turning on my lights after the call comes out. I happened to be driving along the Broad Street Bridge as I take the mic and hold onto the PTT saying "251 to County, enroute code 3, ETA 1 1/2 minutes."

Passing the Broad St. Bridge, I turn right onto First Street North and manage to hear a scraping noise from the highway, the suspect's vehicle being on the highway now headed east. I then begin heading eastbound as I now activate the Wail siren. I remain on the road for about 30 seconds, maintaining speeds of 60-70mph.

I then slow down to a near stop as I indicate to turn left on Custer St., which I proceed to do after the traffic stops for me to pass. Then, going up along Custer, I take an on-ramp onto the I-48, slowing down and moving along the hard shoulder as I radio in again.

"251 County, Suspect heard heading eastbound. I'm about 600 feet ahead of him. Requesting permission to initiate traffic break. Traffic speeds around 50mph." 

image.thumb.png.be7e6a9b2cbb0df5e5eddda0021dfc9e.png

sd251dep.png

Deputy Nathan Clarkson
Unit 251

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2112

*ive been attempting to do the whole unmarked traffic cop thing like a cop i watch on youtube when i hear the chatter on the radio,251 is basically driving toward me albeit on the freeway but meadowlark elementary, where im parked is close by so i fire up the mustang and pull outta the gas station parking lot i had staged at* central from 258,responding  2-3 minute or so ETA" * i  plop the mic in my lap opting to flip the lights on and only blipping the sirens to clear intersections as i key up  againapproaching the DeKalb onramp hitting code 3 on my lights as i pull into and subsequently ride the shoulder till  i kinda catch up roughly 5 minutes later  with my rumber on the sirens as i speak again* '251from 258,im behind you guys coming up now, maybe something like 800 feet away ready to support, currently trailing"* i say as i release the mixc and a few stubborn cars infront finally realize the sirens and lights are comming from me in the unmarked Stang*

Edited by Vanguard

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2024

"251 copies. Initiating traffic break on I48 Eastbound just past Custer."

I activate my sirens and traffic directionals as I move onto the centre lane, slowing down and swerving from side to side as the cars begin slowing down to barely just above a crawl. With everyone nearly stopped, of course he'd take the hard shoulder. So I made sure to swerve all the way to the right, obstructing his way. He approaches slowly, being nearly trapped and forced to go slow.

sd251dep.png

Deputy Nathan Clarkson
Unit 251

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2112

"251 copies. Initiating traffic break on I48 Eastbound just past Custer."

*that radio call is my que,i dart around the pckup i tucked behind briefly and before our errant explorer can move, im in his rear view every light i have on the car  clear as day as i key up the pa, like HELL im gonna try to muscle an suv twice my weight  with a PIT* 'DRIVER OF THE EXPLORER,TAKE THE NEXT EXIT AND PULL OVER DO NOT PASS THE CRUISER INFRONT OF YOU!'

* i release the cars PA and key up the radio* "251,from 258,herd him onto the  next offramp, id rather not stop em during morning rush hour especially in a low vis unmarked on the highway unless i aint got a choice" *as i make my comment i see the trucks blinker come on,he's either complying or trying to fake me out either way i shoot up a bit and block a potential dart to the left hopeful that the guys just gonna keep this simple as theres not really much of a shoulder on the overpass *

sd258dep.png

Deputy Cal Dempsy
Unit 258

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2024