High Speed MVA - Possible Fatality

M. Price

*I make my cuts with the sawzall and we start pulling her car apart. I've never used the tunneling technique before and it's very new for me so I try and retain as much as I can about it. I think we went over it once or twice in classes but besides that.. it's a smaller car and I'm shocked it's held up as well as it did.*

'It looks like it'll be a tight fit.'

*I comment offhand as I'm working my way in.*

• Like 1

spacer.png

Firefighter Paramedic Michaela Gray
Rescue 9

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1208

'Doing good Gray. Sizing things up, I think you're the best fit. I don't think I can make it in there, unless you widen that hole.'

*Sizing up the small space, I'm not sure how it's going to work. I hear an ambulance park not far from us, and think, thank god, I'm going to be able to not worry about patient care. Focusing on rescue is plenty of work.*

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* i chuckle as i hear allies probie hyjack her radio and dispatch probably shit themselfs and stall* ‘ looks like the new supervisors slipping’ * the rookie goes to say something an i stop him* ‘ relax, newly minted sergeant devitos gonna shit herself her probie too, when oxnard pd flys up to them dispatch dident know she took a probie on a ride along,she shoulda called and let em know she was doubled up garuntee you they think shes hurt cause of the unknown male voice useing her callsign’ *  as ems rolls up i see them start to take over patient care so i stop the other medic as he gets outta his bus hes probably curious why a k-9 units on a wreck like i am as i glance at his nametag and he presumably mine* ‘ hey sparks, if you get her stable and shes awake can i maybe talk to her in y’alls bus before you roll or should traffic get her at the hospital, i was closest unit and caught the wreck i was the only cop on scene up on the bridge and nobody i thought was comming so i needa wrap up my basic investigation then hand it off to traffic, chain of evidence and all that’

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1337

*Once Gray has the speaker deck cut away, I direct Noel to cut the back seats free with the cutters, and pull the seat backs free as she cuts them. I toss them aside, out of our way, and glance between the two.*

'OK, now we've gotta get the front seats, then we'll be able to get the patient. One of you go ahead and hop in, and I'll pass you the cutters.'

*Once one of them gets settled inside the car, I pass in the cutters and watch as they cut the front seats away from the car.*

u22apc.png

Acting Platoon Chief Marcus Stone
Unit 22

Badge 1909

*Finishing removing the seat backs, I look over to Stone.*

'OK, now we've gotta get the front seats, then we'll be able to get the patient. One of you go ahead and hop in, and I'll pass you the cutters.'

'Your time to shine Gray.'

*I step back and let her shimmy into the opening, helping Stone pass the cutters through.*

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

With everyone focused on removing the person from the vehicle I go ahead and start positioning the ladder to take the person off of the freeway sign. 

Fire%20Generic.png
Firefighter/Paramedic Ewan Raven, Paramedic In Charge
Unit unassigned

Badge 1142

*I take a deep breath, hoping it's not too apparent how nervous I am. I've never done anything quite like this before and I hate not having the ease of practice on my side. I start working my way into the admittedly quite tight opening and once I'm settled, a pair of hands passes the cutters in to me. I start working away the seats, holding off on cutting free her seat. The whole time I'm working, I'm trying to calm her down as best as I can - I know it's got to be incredibly scary for her. I still can't work out how exactly we'll get her out since because of how the car crumpled I'm not able to get to the lever to lower her seat back. I'll have to cut it free and I'm not entirely sure how that will happen - are we going to slide her out laying down on a board maybe? I try to work it all out in my head as I'm working.*

spacer.png

Rescue 9

Badge 1208

*Trying to figure out how this will work, I decide to go get a board from the ambulance to help slide the patient out, if we can manage.*

'Hey you got a board on that? We're gonna try to get her out, and figure, you'll be transporting, we'll use your gear?'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* still not getting an answer from the fire department the traffic sergeant walks up to me and taps me on the shoulder i had tucked by FD’s engine to have another cig as i eye the sergeant he tells me that he will handle getting anything from the victim and he’ll follow up my work by now  fire is ready to move the ladder to get the person off the sign so i crush out my smoke and return to 203*

’ Ok Sanders , your good to take me up to my truck then clesr traffics gonna hang around and finish things up’ * i kry my portable* “ county from 231, you can show me clear myself and 203 have been released by on scene Traffic Units” .*i release the PTT of my portable then hop into 203’s front seat who inturn  takes me up to 231 i climb in and give sanders a wave then drive off presuming he then does the same*

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1337

*Once Noel comes back with a board, I glance in at Gray to see she's made good progress and has the seats freed.*

'Alright, great job. Pass me the cutters, then I'm going to slide the board in.'

*Once she passes out the cutters, I set them aside, out of the way, and then return to help her board the patient as best we can in the small car. I slip in the opening, offering my help as best as we can manage through the opening.*

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

'Yeah, our gear is fine. We'll take over once you have her out, just let us know how we can help.'

*Sparks and I stand over near the fire crew, our gear on the ground by the trunk of the car.*

medic12pm.png
Paramedic Rory Dunne
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1804

*I pass the cutters back out to Stone and we slide a backboard in under the woman. She seems to have calmed down some, only crying quietly now. But I'm sure the sound of my cutting hasn't helped much.

It's definitely tight, trying to get her out. I can't even begin to board her properly in here but the medics outside will take care of that. Right now, we just need her out.*

spacer.png

Rescue 9

Badge 1208

*After what feels like 4 days watching Michaela's feet, I see her start to shimmy back. Looks like we're moving backwards. I help her slide out and within a minute we've got a patient on a board sliding out. She's  in hard shape, but might actually survive. I grab her board and help lift it out, and before I know it, there's a stretcher underneath. We lower the board onto the bed and I step back to watch the medics do their thing, and see if we're needed. I look over my shoulder and see one helluva state of a car that we just pulled a woman out of. I expected the survivor to be on top, not bottom. Holy shit.*

'Great work Gray, good on you.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

* im still sitting by the pump pannel but my backs to it as i watch the ladder do there thing my jaw wants to hit the floor but i for e myself not to as local medias on the scene and im staying professional i do however store the protection line i had under my arm back on the truck* ‘holy shit,shes actually alive’ * i utter to myself having not needed to do much of anything so i start doing my walk around of the engine so we can  head back to the bay*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

*Once we drag the patient out and hand her off to the medics, I take a step away from the car, looking over the scene. This was a mess. Two kids dead, one gravely injured. Media was going to be all over this. I sigh and shake my head.*

'Alright guys, let's get our tools cleaned up. I'm gonna go check in with the traffic cops and make sure they're done with us.'

*I head over to the Traffic supervisor and verify we're clear to go before heading back up to the truck and helping get everything stowed away. Once all the tools are up, I climb back into the cab.*

"Ladder 31 in service."

u22apc.png

Unit 22

Badge 1909

* as the ladder leaves i give stone a wave and climb back into the engine soon afterwards i hear baker get in aswell as the rear doors close* ‘ you got it!?’*I call to the traffic supervisor  as i hop back outta the cab and pack my cones and such the traffic sergeant nods* ‘ were good,you guys can clear’ * i move to climb back into the truck and pop the brake* “dispatch show engine clearing aswell,cars released to traffic and the ladder handed off the victim to EMS” * Baker  says as  on air as i kill the lights and follow the ladder home*

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319