Fireside Chat: An Interview with Shiloh's Six

K. Ross

*The last one, there was a bit of Spanish in there. God help the older viewers had no clue what he was saying.*

'Alright, I just want to hear what everyone's thoughts are on what this means for Shiloh County going forward? There's been a lot of talk that it's more dangerous here than before. What are your thoughts, as boots on the ground? Do you think Shiloh is safe?'

*I nod.*

'Yes, I do. Unequivocally, I think Shiloh County is very safe. This wasn't crime, this was an isolated act of terrorism. Shiloh is, and has been, a very safe county. I don't think this one incident makes it any more dangerous than it was before.'

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1943

'I agree with my partners there. I'm on the streets every day, I've never experienced anything like this and probably won't ever again. I serve as a member of the county SWAT, so we respond to the worst of the worst, and even still, I'm confident that this is a safe county. The people of the county has absolutely nothing to worry about.'

*He says, knowing he's been shot at more than once this year, with a straight face even. God, the sheriff would be proud of me now, if only he could see me.*

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Si, Shiloh County safe.  Very safe, living here no problemo.  Todo bien.  We're on the job.  Keep you very safe.  Like my compadres said this was just a unique situation that maybe happen only once in a life time or once every other decade.  It's like you get your driver's license and you start driving your car daily for the rest of your life.  Which could be 50 to 80 anos.  You a good driver so maybe you never get into an accident but maybe, just maybe once in that long long driving career you just happen to get in one accident.  So one accident in 50 or so years of driving.  Doesn't make you an bad driver.  Just one accident.  So, well, for Shiloh County this was that one accident.  County still safe, just one accident.'

sd230dep.png

Deputy Alejandro Sanchez

Unit 231

Badge 2038

*Nodding with the answers I think it's time to get away from questions that may or may not be related to the attack.  The perfect time to ask questions sent in by our viewers that we hand picked for them.*

'Alright, now we got some questions sent in by our viewers.  This is from Daniel Wilkins, age 7, from Clinton.  He wants to know at what point in your lives did you decide to become a Law Enforcement Officer.'

*I decide to answer first because my childhood was the longest ago... By far. Ugh, I'm old.*

'For me Daniel, I knew for pretty much my entire life. Like all little boys, I played as a cop, and as I got older, I kept it up. As a teenager I was involved in Boy Scouts and we had a police explorer program. I joined up and got to really explore my future career. I knew it was a real job for me when I got to experience the academy and see what it was like to stop crimes. People call us when they need help and we're able to do that, that's what makes me want to be a deputy, the ability to help people and improve our homes.'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*As Wagner finishes explaining, I nod in agreement and speak up.*

'I've known most of my life as well. Dad is a State Patrolman, and so was my grandfather. They've been two of my biggest influences throughout my life. It's a family business for us, law enforcement. At first it only seemed right that I become a State Patrolman like them. What else would I do? As I got involved with policing and gave it real thought in college, I realized that policing was what I really wanted to do, and not just because my father and his father had. So to an extent, I've always known.'

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*After O'Reilly and Wagner give their responses I decide to speak up as well.*

'Always knew that I wanted to do something with law should I not make a career out of playing hockey.  Always figured on being a lawyer or a prosecutor. However it wasn't until college that I started thinking about police work as an option.'

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504

*Scrat likes cars? Wait, model cars? Oh boy, I want to see his Hot Wheels Collection.*

'Personally, when you get to be my age, relaxation is a hobby in and of itself. I spend the majority of my free time trying to create my dream home. I'm a bit of a handyman, so I spend my time from work, and most of the money I make too, renovating and upgrading my house, or at least refining the skills to do so. It's tough work, but it's very rewarding to see the end results and look at it and say, I made that. Beats Ikea any day. Wait, can I say that on TV?'

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Yeah, I'm sure you're fine.  Well, unless Ikea is absolutely sore at your comment just now.  As for me.  When I'm not working I'm either running, fishing, hunting, scuba diving, playing hockey or simply just ice skating.'

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Badge 1504