Scalper Stabbing

C. Aylward

Sheriffs units and a supervisor, And EMS. RESPOND TO AN ARMED ROBBERY WITH A PERSON STABBED, NORTH 12TH AND BABCOCK IN THE PARK 

Time: 1214 Weather: Cold, Clear

'911 Where's your emergency?'

RP: 'Im at North 12th and Babcock. My husband just got stabbed! He was trying to sell a PS5 and this guy stabbed him'

'Is he breathing?'

'I can't see he's too far away! I'm in the car!'

'Is the person who stabbed him still there?'

'Yeah!'

'What does he look like.'

'Hes Black and tall. He just grabbed the PS5 and ran out of the park'

'Ok im sending Police and EMS'

*SD Radio*

"I need Sheriffs units and a supervisor to respond to North 12th and Babcock for a stabbing Perp is a tall black male armed with a knife, Holding a PS5 running out of the park."

*EMS radio*

"Next due medic unit respond to North 12th and babcock for the stab. Unknown if pt is still breathing"

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*I'm parked at the side of the road, working on long overdue paperwork from my last shift. I look up and into the passenger side mirror and see this gorgeous dime-piece walking down the sidewalk as she emerges through the white wall of exhaust generated by my patrol vehicle in the cold morning air. As she walk by I stare intently. Even though she's bundled up in her trendy winter wear, I can mentally undress her enough to be impressed at what she's probably hiding beneath her jacket.*

*I hear the call go out, and immediately push my paperwork to the side and pick up the radio*

"216 going from North 10th and uh.....Thompson." I say over the radio.

*I pull out into traffic and hit my lights*

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1871

*As I pull out of the station parking lot*

"216 going from North 10th and uh.....Thompson."

'Aww yeah Jaydon and Mike's Excellent adventure begin'

"206 show me backing 216."

*I slide the switch into position 3 and run the siren from the horn.*

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1316

*I groan as the radio goes off an ALS response. Just great. I haven't even finished my third cigarette of the morning. Then again, we have to wait for law to secure. Might as well finish it anyways. I take a few more drags on the cig, burning it down to the filter. I toss the butt into the can and head into the bay, sliding into the passenger seat.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2008

*What a way to start the shift. I sigh and pull out of the lot - this should be interesting.*

¨220, show me responding to the stabbing¨

*I pull out of the lot and accelerate, flicking on my lights and sirens.*

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

*Nice of Murdick to let me know we're going as I see him go straight to M1 after finishing his cigarette.  Tossing away my own cig I head back into the bay and get in M1's driver seat.  We're on our way to the scene as soon as I get the driver's door closed.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

*a call drops for a stabbing in North Ft Shannon and me Lattanzio head out to the cruiser and i hop in the drivers seat and key up the mic as i start the car*

"Show 302 Responding any SO on scene yet?"

*i flip the lights and siren on and pull into traffic headed towards the scene* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Sheriff's Detective Blake Spaulding

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

"216, on scene." I say quickly over the radio as I turn off my siren and start to drive slowly to see if I can see where the call location is. In the distance I see a small group and some arms waving in the air toward me.

*I pull over and exit the car. I'm immediately greeted by a not-to-shabby looking blonde, 5'5"...probably 105lbs, pretty blue eyes....probably around my age. Definitely a solid 8.5 to 9/10

'HE'S BEEN STABBED...OH MY GOD.....THIS WAY...HURRY' she yells hysterically.

Anything for you sweetheart, I think to myself.

*I close the door behind me and jog with the woman over to the small huddle of people*

'Did you see what happened?' I ask as we jog.

'Yes...well kind of...I just heard some screaming and saw him get stabbed and fall over. I was just jogging.' she replies.

As I arrive, the circle of people starts to part, revealing a hipster looking dude with a man-bun and a large brown beard that would do a lumberjack proud. He's lying in a pool of blood while another woman, who's not nearly as good looking as the first, holds him sobbing. A random, much older woman, appears to be holding a sweatshirt over the guy's stomach. It's partially blood soaked.

Shit. I hate blood. I think to myself.

'So what happened here?' I ask while looking around making sure everything looks safe.

'He's got 3 stabs wounds to his abdomen.' the older woman tells me as she applies pressure.

'Okay, and you are...?' I ask.

'Karen. I'm a nurse. I just heard screams and saw him fall to his knees and a colored man running away....'

'You make sure they have an ambulance on the way will you? This man needs a hospital right now!' She demands.

'Yeah, they're on there way.' I say as I key up my shoulder mic.

"216, EMS is clear to enter." I say over the radio.

'So was it just one guy or more?' I ask.

'..just...one.' The victim on the ground says. 

'Which way did he go?' 

'That way" multiple people said in unison while pointing.

'What did he look like?' I ask.

'Black, about...I don't know...taller than you...' the blonde woman says to me.

My face: 😐

'....six foot?  What was he wearing?'

'Yeah...he was a little taller than my husband. *sniffle* 6 foot. Nike sweat pants...black with a white stripe...and a grey hoodie.' the victim's wife sobs as she hold her bleeding husband.

'He had like a dark navy blue beanie.' the victim says weakly.

'Maybe 150 pounds. Kind of skinny.' Someone else let out.

"Dispatch, 216."

"216"

"216, Suspect is described as a black male, approximately 6 feet tall about 150 pounds, wearing black and white nike sweatpants, grey hoodie, and a dark navy hoodie. Last seen on foot in the direction of  10th and Kensington." I say.

'You get that ambulance here right now!' Karen starts demanding.

'They're on their way.' I say trying to remain cool. Karen's about to get on my damn nerves. I can tell.

"Okay everyone, if you saw what happened here, I need to to stand right over there by that bench. We're going to need to take a statement. Please don't go anywhere." I say loudly to the crowd.

"If you didn't really see anything of value and are just looking, I need you to move along." I say as I start shooing the crowd back.

Part of the crowd starts to disperse, a few people head towards the benches. Among them, the cute blonde.

*I refocus on the victim and pull out my notepad*

'What's you name, man?' I ask the victim.

'Chad' he replies. 

'Do you have any ID on you?' I ask.

'Yeah', he says as he reaches weakly for his pocket.

'IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY RIGHT NOW?' Karen lashes out.

'Ma'am. The ambulance is coming, they're going to need it anyway, might as well get it out now while we're waiting.' I reply trying to stay calm. 

*The victim's wife helps him pull out his wallet and they hand it to me. I pull out the ID and hand the wallet back*

'So from the beginning. Tell me what happened?' I ask the victim.

I hear more sirens approaching.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

"216, EMS is clear to enter."

*I enter the notes in on the computer and another dispatcher advises the responding EMS units.*

"216, Suspect is described as a black male, approximately 6 feet tall about 150 pounds, wearing black and white nike sweatpants, grey hoodie, and a dark navy hoodie. Last seen on foot in the direction of  10th and Kensington"

"Units in the area be advised, Perp is a black male 6 feet 150 pounds wearing black and white Nike sweatpants gray hoodie and a dark blue hoodie. On foot fleeing in the direction of 10th and Kensington. "

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

*I pull up behind 216. Theres a group of people leaving EMS isnt here yet*

"206 Show me out."

*I can see Scott on the ground trying to give first aid. I pop the trunk and grab the first aid kit and jog over. I walk up and see him trying to get an ID out.*

'Hey, I got my first aid bag. Where was he stabbed.'

C/V: ;In my stomach'

*The victim says as I lift up his shirt and see a few wounds bleeding profusely. Opening up my bag I just grab a shit load of gauze and put it on while applying pressure.*

"206 can we get an ETA on EMS?"

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

"EXCUSE ME! HE'S MY PATIENT RIGHT NOW. I'M A NURSE OF 28 YEARS, AND YOU JUST CAUSED HIM TO START BLEEDING ALL OVER AGAIN" Karen yells at Caldwell as he lifts the man's shirt up.

"GIVE ME THOSE" she says as she grabs the gauze and nudges herself in front of Caldwell.

'Watch out Mike, she bites' I say. Karen shoots me an angry look.

I pull Caldwell over off to the side away from Karen.

'...just let her do her shit. I'm not about to argue with a woman named Karen. She's definitely living up to her name.' I say.

'...anyway we got a single perp. Turns out our boy here was trying to scalp a PS5 on Craigslist, met up with our perp here. Perp asks to see the receipt for the PS5, victim puts the PS5 on the ground and starts digging through his pockets to find the reciept. Perp grabs the Playstation, homeboy trying to grab him, and ends up getting stuck 3 times. Perp ran down that way with the PS5.' I say pointing towards 10th and Kensington.

'It's a little bit of scalper justice if you ask me...' I say in a very low whisper. 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

¨220, in the area.¨

*´10th and Kensington...´   I think to myself cutting all my lights now, having cut my sirens about a block or two out. My other officers are probably both at the site of the initial incident; one of them will likely be following me shortly. ´damn this guy is fast to get that far.'  I slow down even further, my eyes scanning the road and sidewalks ahead.*

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

'Fucking shithead hood motherfuckers stabbing over a goddamn video game. Fucking scalpers trying to fuck people people over,' *I mumble under my breath as we approach the area. I cut the siren, tired of the noise. I take a long drag from my vape and stick it in a shirt pocket as we approach the scene. Of course, the cops are parked in the fucking way. The Swede pulls the truck up to the curb and I open my door, stepping out.*

'I'll take a look. Bring the stretcher.'

*I grab the jump bag and start over to the patient. Some old lady is holding pressure to the stomach while the cops stand around. Typical.*

'What's the deal?'

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

*Stopping the truck the burnout tells me to get the stretcher as he'll go take a look.  Before I can respond an a he grabs the jump bag and exits the truck.  Hopping out of the truck I head to the back of the truck and pull open the back doors.  Pulling out the stretcher I wheel it over.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Badge 1315

‘What’s the deal?’

‘He was trying to sell a PS5 to a guy he met on Craigslist and ended up getting stuck in the gut three times.’

’It’s about damn time. Let’s get things moving here’ Karen says as she’s made it clear she’s the one wanting to call the shots around here.

’Ma’am let’s let the paramedics do their job.’ I say as I gently start to tug at her shoulder.

She rapidly pulls away from me.

’HOW DARE YOU? THIS IS MY PATIENT, AND WHO ARE YOU TO TOUCH ME?’ she shouts at me.

’STOP WASTING TIME AND LETS GET MOVING HERE’ she shouts.

I step back and roll my eyes. I really am not in the mood for this shit.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

*Karen stops me from working the victim up. I walk off with Jaydon.*

'It's a little bit of scalper justice if you ask me...'

'Your telling me, Im not paying a grand to play the new COD. I guess you work the crowd I'll be the one pulling Karen off of EMS. Ive seen that big guy before and hes nuts and loves to fight people.'

sd210dep.png

Deputy Mike Caldwell
Unit 210

Badge 1316

*I pull up on scene and flip my siren off keeping my lights on and step out and head over to the group of Deputies*

'Howdy deputies who was the first guy on scene?'

*i walk over to the medic's to ask where they'll be taking the Victim* 

SheriffDep%20Generic.png

Sheriff's Detective Blake Spaulding

Unit unassigned

Badge 2039

*We pull out and I grab my portable.*

"302 out at the stabbing"

*Who the fuck talks like that... Before they can answer my partner runs off to bother EMS.*

'Hey guys, I'm not sure we had a chance to meet, Steve Lattanzio, Detective Platoon. What do we got?'

sd302det.png

Detective Steve Lattanzio
Unit 302

Badge 2038

'I guess you work the crowd I'll be the one pulling Karen off of EMS.'

'Yeah. You have fun with that. Careful, I think she's about 1 step shy of asking to see the manager.' I say

*A detective approached*

'Well....' I start. 

*The detective walks off*

'Okay...then....' I say confused.

'Hey guys, I'm not sure we had a chance to meet, Steve Lattanzio, Detective Platoon. What do we got?'

'Hey. Jaydon Scott.' I Introduce myself.

'27 year old Chad over there got stabbed three times in the abdomen. Suspect took off on foot headed towards Tenth St. 6 foot, 150, black and white nike sweat pants, grey hoodie, dark blue beanie. Victim says he met up with the suspect to sell him a Playstation 5, after meeting on Craigslist. Suspect asks to see the receipt for the Playstation, Victim puts the playstation on the ground and digs in his pockets. Suspect trying to do a grab and run, victim fights him, and ends up stuck.' I explain.

'I asked the witnesses to stand over there by the bench. I was about to start getting some statements.' I explain pointing to the bench where about 4 people are standing, looking on in interest.

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

'I asked the witnesses to stand over there by the bench. I was about to start getting some statements.' I explain pointing to the bench where about 4 people are standing, looking on in interest.'

'He have a cellphone that was recovered? If it was a craigslist thing we could trace the email and try and go that route'

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038

*I shrug as the deputy explains it.*

'Probably shouldn't be fuckin scalping. Oh well.'

*I kneel next to the victim.*

'Hey buddy, we're gonna get you out of her.'

*I start cutting off his shirt and blink when the Karen goes off on the deputy.*

'And who the fuck do you think you are? This is my fucking patient, lady.' *I ask, the crazy eyes turning on. Who the fuck was this lady? No fucking way she was going to tell me how to do my job. I'm Tom Murdick, the best goddamn alcoholic this department has ever seen.*

*I push her hands away from the patient's wounds as I put Vaseline gauze over the three stab wounds. She had a choice here, either test which of us is crazier - it's me, by far - or back off, but I strongly suspected she'd test the crazy.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Badge 2008

*I´m vaguely aware of one of the detectives marking themself on scene - definitely a lot of people there. I scan the area ahead of me and I spy a tall figure with a dark beanie cap. 'I´ll bet anything that´s my guy´. I start inching closer and he´s definitely trying to blend in. I park my car and as soon as I pull out of the line of cars I was in, he takes off. ´Definitely my guy´.*

¨220, in foot pursuit of suspect.¨

*I take off after him, noting as I get closer the guy has a somewhat large and bulky box clutched. I look ahead and see a parking lot the guy was definitely heading towards. The box is heavy, clearly, and I´m grateful. It slows him down some and gives me a chance to catch up some. I shout after him to stop and he tries to move faster - before he falls. I sprint towards him now on the ground, thankful for my lucky break.*

¨220, I have one in custody.¨

*I arrest him, picking up the fallen ps5 along with my perp. Helping him to his feet, we walk back to my truck and I help him into the back. I toss the recovered property in the back of my truck before getting in to the driver´s seat.*

pd220sgt.png
Sergeant Allison Devito
Unit 220
Badge 1825

'HOW DARE YOU' Karen responds to the paramedic. 'I AM A NURSE OF 32 YEARS. IVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF PEOPLE SINCE BEFORE YOU COULD WALK.' 

*She pauses*

'WHAT IS YOUR NAME? I WANT YOUR NAME AND BADGE NUMBER RIGHT THIS SECOND!' She starts screaming.

'Good luck' I whisper to Caldwell as I leave him.

*I walk over towards the park bench where the witnesses are standing.*

The first first statement I take shall be from....the gorgeous blonde woman.

God she's good looking. Athletic body, sandy blonde hair, green eyes.....

*I walk up to her. She looks at me*

'SOoOo' my voice cracks like a teenager. 

*I clear my throat heavily*

'So...I'm Jaydon. Can I get your name please?' I ask as I pull out my note pad and pen.

'Ashlynn Meyers' she responds.

'Ashlynn? Hmmm...friends call you Ashley?' I ask smiling.

'No. No, they don't actually.' she says giving an awkward smile as she looks around uncomfortably.

'Oh...well...either way...its a great name...very...errrr....*I think*....modern.' I say quickly speeding up the conversation.

*Clearing throat again*

'So Mrs. Meyers...it is Misses isn't it?' I pause.

'No. I'm not married.' she replies.

'Oh. I'm sorry. Miss Meyers. Tell me exactly what happened, from the very beginning.' I ask, my pen and notepad at the ready.

*She gives me a fairly concise account as to what happened. Pretty much the same story that I had gathered up to this point*

'So what brought you to the park today?' I ask.

'Oh....well I was just jogging.' she replies.

'You jog through here often or...'

'Oh...yeah, pretty much every other day, if not more often.'

'Well...into fitness are we?' I ask slyly.

'Yeah...well..I like running...it's a good way to decompress....I'm usually out here earlier in the morning. I like to jog to wake up.' she starts.

'...well I prefer a good cup of caffeine myself.' I say slowly lowering my note pad as I chuckle awkwardly.

'Really? Well I work as a barista down the street at Java Lava.'

'Oh...you do?' I say. 'When do you work there?'

*She looks at me pretty weirdly. She might be catching on to what's going on here*

'What does that have to do with any of this?' she asks.

'Oh....well...*I fumble*.....uh....just in case we need to contact you...uh...we'd know when and where to find you' I reply quickly.

Lame.

'...oh....well...I work Monday, Wednesdays, and Sundays. 8 to 4 usually.' she responds suspiciously.

'...and can I get your phone number?' I ask, my pen at the ready on the notepad page. '...for the file.'

'555-2030' she replies.

*I write it down*

'Well thank you Ash...Miss Meyers. I'll be in touch if we need anything else from you.' I reply.

*I walk off, looking at my note pad. The only thing I managed to write down through the whole conversation was her name, phone number, and work schedule.*

Edited by Chris07

SheriffDep%20Generic.png
Deputy Jaydon Scott
Unit unassigned
Badge 1871

*The Deputy doesn't answer my question as he walks off to talk to this blonde wearing the tightest pair of yoga pants I have ever seen.*

'Shes gonna waste her time on a uniform.'

“220 show you with one under. Time is gonna be 1232”

"220 Whats your location? Were trying to do a show up. We have a witness and were trying to locate the Victims wife now."

*I walk over to Spaulding.*

'Yo grab the victims phone as evidence. We may have found the Perp so lets grab the vics wife so we can do a showup.'

sd302det.png

Unit 302

Badge 2038