Office of the Commissioner

W. Burke

*I get a call from Commissioner Burke’s assistant. She requests my immediate presence in the commissioners office. This could literally be about any number of things so I throw my jacket on and go downstairs to 400 for the quick ride across downtown. I arrive a few minutes later and use my sheriffs department ID to gain access to the building. I take the elevator to the waiting room to Burke’s  office. His assistant recognizes me and let him know that I am there. I don’t bother taking a seat because I am not anticipating waiting long for him.*

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

*Having spent the morning dealing with the firefighter involved, the more I reviewed the report, the angrier I got. The fact that sheriff's deputies. Fucking law enforcement officers, had to be restrained by rental cops has my blood boiling. Christ, you can probably see the veins in my head right now.*

'Commissioner, Captain Russo is here'

'Send him in.'

*As he enters, I see he's utterly clueless. I motion towards a chair and he dutifully sits.*

'Zach. What the fuck are your deputies doing? Don't they know we're supposed to be running professional law enforcement? At an ERT function no less? Tell me they're fucking retarded or already enrolled in AA. Please let them be retarded.'

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

'Zach. What the fuck are your deputies doing? Don't they know we're supposed to be running professional law enforcement? At an ERT function no less? Tell me they're fucking retarded or already enrolled in AA. Please let them be retarded.'

'I Know, There going to be in my office today. There not retarded more like savants. Great cops just retarded in every other way. I'm gonna threaten them with rehab when I meet with them later.'

*I look around the room.*

'In their defense those rent a cops put Scott in an illegal chokehold so I'm not saying its justified however hotel security wasn't exactly operating legally'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

I arrive at big boss office. I look at my work orders. I see one for big man's office. It says "July 2020 - Mow grounds". I turn on my advanced zero turn mower with the Modelo Especial sticker on the back of it. I kiss and hang my rosario on the turn handle. I fire up the mower and start to mow the grounds. It is snowy outside so I start blowing snow everywhere. But I must do what the work order says. 

spacer.png

Pablo Hernandez
SCPW Employee

'...Great cops, just retarded in every other way. I'm gonna threaten them with rehab when I meet with them later. In their defense, those rent a cops put Scott in an illegal chokehold, so I'm not saying it's justified, however hotel security wasn't exactly operating legally.'

'Great cops? My god, you must be fucking retarded too. Tell me, isn't assault, drunken disorderly, public intoxication, all of those, aren't they offenses? They are. And last I checked, cops that break laws shouldn't be cops. Rehab? Threaten? I think they all need mandatory psych evals. And hotel security broke the law? Probably, they're fucking retards themselves. We don't hire security guards because cops are supposed to be finer cut. So help me god Zach. They are fucking rent a cops. Your deputies were drunk and broke out into a fucking fight we had to use rent a cops to break up. Rent a cops that blab. And fucking security, not the 50 other SHERIFF'S DEPUTIES in the FUCKING ROOM did a thing to break it up. I wouldn't be surprised if I get a story about this in the Chronicle today. Do you know how bad this looks? Rehab threats aren't gonna cut it.'

*I hear what sounds like a snow blower tear into the snow outside, look out the window and see Pablo.*

'I'm half tempted to order all the imbeciles involved to go help out that nut job mow the fucking snow. He's 6 months behind, he could definitely use the help. And for your deputies who didn't even act? Jesus Christ, they should all be sent off to do Pablo's fucking heavy lifting. I spoke to the Sheriff and pulled rank, but between me and you, he was going to melt down their badges for a new metal dildo to skull fuck the next dumbass to pull this. I can't say I disagree with him.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Great cops? My god, you must be fucking retarded too. Tell me, isn't assault, drunken disorderly, public intoxication, all of those, aren't they offenses? They are. And last I checked, cops that break laws shouldn't be cops. Rehab? Threaten? I think they all need mandatory psych evals. And hotel security broke the law? Probably, they're fucking retards themselves. We don't hire security guards because cops are supposed to be finer cut. So help me god Zach. They are fucking rent a cops. Your deputies were drunk and broke out into a fucking fight we had to use rent a cops to break up. Rent a cops that blab. And fucking security, not the 50 other SHERIFF'S DEPUTIES in the FUCKING ROOM did a thing to break it up. I wouldn't be surprised if I get a story about this in the Chronicle today. Do you know how bad this looks? Rehab threats aren't gonna cut it.'

*As burke takes a breath we hear the sound of a lawn mower. Its a little surprising since its january and snowing. We look out the window.*

'Is he, Mowing the snow?'

'I'm half tempted to order all the imbeciles involved to go help out that nut job mow the fucking snow. He's 6 months behind, he could definitely use the help. And for your deputies who didn't even act? Jesus Christ, they should all be sent off to do Pablo's fucking heavy lifting. I spoke to the Sheriff and pulled rank, but between me and you, he was going to melt down their badges for a new metal dildo to skull fuck the next dumbass to pull this. I can't say I disagree with him.'

'All things considered Burke, We avoided a media incident. And you know just as well as I do my guys were intoxicated, So I can't expect them to insert themselves into taking enforcement action when there drunk as that would cause more of an issue. You were a deputy, You should know that. And one of those guys that fucked up is part of the Shiloh 6. So I say we bury this but handle it under the radar.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'Avoided a media incident? Avoided it? Jesus Christ, I'll believe that in six months, when it's moved on. Until then, all it takes is one nosey reporter, or that security guard who was tripped by a deputy. Any of them. They can all sink this. And yeah, I'm not expecting enforcement action. They're off duty police. With other off duty police. You know what I'm expecting? First, not to have to have anyone get involved. Second, everyone at a department function to be aware of their actions and the consequences this could have on their jobs and department, and thirdly, for your deputies to fucking intervene when a shit show starts unfolding with their own people. Now, I came to you because when I called the sheriff he was going to fire the lot of them. It's an election year for him, and if this gets out that his deputies are fucking lunatics, he's out. And quite frankly, he doesn't care about them as much as he does another 4 years to get his shit done. I talked him down, a chance to intervene, but I need some concrete actions planned on how to stop this shit in its fucking tracks, otherwise he's going to come in guns blazing himself and take some action. Trust me, you don't want that.'

*I look out at the lost mexican on the lawn.*

'Listen, as I see it, you've got two choices. reprimand the ones involved, Shiloh Six or not, and see to it that it doesn't happen again, maybe have a word or two with the do nothing deputies as well, or I report back to the Sheriff you're not doing anything and he gets involved. Don't pull any of that loyalty bull. I was a cop long before you. I played the politics game too. We all did. You don't get brass without it. You know full well when a junior deputy makes an error this big, it can ruin the department. Your choice right now is basically cover two dumbasses at the potential cost to the department, or bury it and risk eating MAJOR shit if and when it goes public. We're dealing with fucking hotel security. You know they're gossiping. I'd be surprised if someone wasn't writing about it right now. I'd rather be in front of this, because if the ERT gets dragged into it, brotherhood be damned, I never believed in supporting stupid fucking cops. If I had known about it that night, I'd have put them in a chokehold myself. Fucking sheriffs should know better.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Listen, as I see it, you've got two choices. reprimand the ones involved, Shiloh Six or not, and see to it that it doesn't happen again, maybe have a word or two with the do nothing deputies as well, or I report back to the Sheriff you're not doing anything and he gets involved. Don't pull any of that loyalty bull. I was a cop long before you. I played the politics game too. We all did. You don't get brass without it. You know full well when a junior deputy makes an error this big, it can ruin the department. Your choice right now is basically cover two dumbasses at the potential cost to the department, or bury it and risk eating MAJOR shit if and when it goes public. We're dealing with fucking hotel security. You know they're gossiping. I'd be surprised if someone wasn't writing about it right now. I'd rather be in front of this, because if the ERT gets dragged into it, brotherhood be damned, I never believed in supporting stupid fucking cops. If I had known about it that night, I'd have put them in a chokehold myself. Fucking sheriffs should know better.'

'Alright, I'll put them on modified duty next shift. I can't afford to lose bodies with the snowstorm so with your approval and the approval of the Comms director we can stick them in dispatch for a bit to drive the point that if they can't control themselves were taking them off the street.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'I don't think that's enough. I think as part of a community service support project one them needs to go out with our Mexican Lawn Care Technician out there. Teach them how to do work of a menial nature, since they can't be trusted to uphold a professional job. And so help me god, if this gets to the press, I'm not taking the fall and neither is Brunner, we're handing someone over on a stake, even if that means you, for your merry band of idiots and their behaviour.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'Alright we'll seperate them. One can go into dispatch the other can be the liaison and and make a new friend with the Mexican Maintenance man. If the news gets wind of this well make the discipline public too.'

sd400cpt.png

Unit 400

Badge 1109

'If the news gets wind of this, there's going to be a lot more than these two getting reamed. Be careful Russo, you don't want to fuck with the public.'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'You better handle it. If I open the papers tonight and find Frankin looking the way of SCSD, I have a feeling you'll be dusting your ERT badge off again.'

• Thanks 1

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 2 weeks later...

*With the smell emanating from down the hall, I can only imagine what the sweet hell is coming out of Jim today. Henry told me he was buying lunch. Bet he regrets that. I open a window, and after a few minutes decide, nope, with all the shit I'm going through, today is going to be a work from home day. On the way out of the office, I tell the assistant that I'm going home, and advise her to follow suit.*

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

• 1 year later...

*I walk into the waiting area by the Commissioners office. I find myself wearing a black button up with skinny cut black dress pants. I nervously play around with my earrings as I approach the desk with the receptionist. I quickly stop this begin to speak*

'Hi, my name is Kristen Santana-Estevez. I was told to report here for the internship program.' *I say in my most confidant voice.*

'Just have a seat, I'll let the commissioner know your here.'

Shit, the commissioner! I thought I would be meeting with some HR manager or some bullshit middle manager for my first day. Maybe theres an orientation or a group of us, Why would the commissioner want to meet me

'Sure'

*I take a seat as I wait.*

Kristen Santana-Estevez

ERT Emergency Response Intern

CFU School of Public Affairs

Finishing up my emails, I hear a buzz from reception. The intern is here. I stand up and brush down my pants, smoothing any wrinkles. Before going to the door, I do a once over in the coated window, not a perfect mirror, but it does the job. White shirt, black tie and pants, and enough gold on my shoulder to be just a little imposing. Opening the door to the outer office, I see a nicely dressed woman in all black. 

"Hello, I'm Commissioner Burke, you must be Kristen. Come in."

I turn my body and guide her into my office, walking around the desk to take a seat at my chair first. I notice she stands, waiting for me to sit first.

"So Kristen, thank you for coming in, I've been commissioner here for about 14 years and I think this is the first time we've had an intern in this capacity before. It's going to be a learning experience for us both. I thought maybe I could go over what some of the role would entail, maybe you could tell me some more about yourself, and then I'd show you around the headquarters here. Don't worry today, we won't be running you out on any calls, but before you leave, make sure to check in with the quartermaster and get your uniforms. I'd like to get you out with some of the task forces, even if it's only on training, so we want you to look the part too." I notice she's nodding and smiling along as I go. I continue, "We undertook some reorganization within the county at the start of this year, and shuffled up some of the roles within our organization. The long and the short of it is I serve as the county's chief director for emergency management. I oversee everything that happens here, and the idea of an internship was my hope to get some more ideas flowing into our structure and keep us modern and serving the citizens the best that we can. 

"You'll be reporting directly to Assistant Commissioner Chris Smith, he's our director of emergency response, however you'll spend most your time working with our task forces. I'll introduce you to them later. Each Task force has a lieutenant that reports to a captain that reports to the assistant commissioner. Right now, we have 2 sections, with 4 task forces in each. Our other Assistant Commissioner is Ruth Renken. She's our director of preparedness. This covers our county emergency planning division, the preparedness education, and also our county comms, which handles 911. 

"So, that was a lot of me talking. Why don't you tell me a little about yourself?"

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

"Hello, I'm Commissioner Burke, you must be Kristen. Come in."

'Nice to meet you.'

*I say as we shake hands and enter his office. The commissioner gives his speech and what he expects from the program as well as organization of the ERT as well as who I would be reporting to.*

"So, that was a lot of me talking. Why don't you tell me a little about yourself?"

'Well, My family is originally from Arcadia. My father has architecture firm and my mother is a practices family law. I attended Arcadia Prep and I graduated with honors. Then from there I went to get my bachelor's in public affairs with a minor in business continuity at CFU where I graduated with honors, And I'm in the process of getting my masters at CFU.'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

"Very interesting. So I guess my first question is what drew you to the ERT for an internship, over say some large corporation planning for business continuity? They're two very different worlds. I almost went into corporate planning a few times actually."

I lean back into my chair, wondering what the ERT would even look like had I chased a bank's emergency plan instead of the county's. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

"Very interesting. So I guess my first question is what drew you to the ERT for an internship, over say some large corporation planning for business continuity? They're two very different worlds. I almost went into corporate planning a few times actually."

'I said Business continuity eventually, Ideally I would like to have some real world experience and I would like to get certified as a CEM by IAEM but that also requires real world experience. When I was 15 my family went to a resort in the DR and we got hit with a hurricane and we were sitting there for days with very limited food and no power, They had no plans whatsoever and just let us sit.  Eventually I would like to start my own consulting firm and having both public safety and business continuity experience would be a major plus.'

*I say as I look into his eyes.*

Kristen Santana-Estevez

Jesus Burke, behave. She is not doing that kind of eye look. You need to give Kendall a call soon. Christ. 

'Ever the entrepreneur. Good for you. We've got a lot of players in the game here to make sure things run smoothly, but having been around the world with this job, I know that's just not the case everywhere. I'd love to do a lot more outreach and resource building in other places, get them to our level, but we're really one of a kind when it comes to having the money and capabilities to be this prepared. I mean, I certainly take whatever benefits I can out of it. There's not many who can say the same.

"Anyways, enough chit chat, what say you we start the tour of the headquarters?"

Following affirmation, I stand and we take the side door from my office into the main hallway. 

"Down this Corridor is the offices for the Assistant Commissioners, I think AC Renken is in the comm centre right now, and AC Smith is out with one of the agencies. We have a couple conference rooms throughout the building, this is just one of them." I say, pointing to the unoccupied board room across from my office. "If you follow me, I'll introduce you to our agency liaisons. We have officers assigned to liaise with each of the agencies in the county we work with, building mutual aid and response plans. For the most part, these roles are filled from one of the agencies, but we have, from time to time, filled them internally."

Walking by the admin support office, I see the three are actually in speaking with the staff, so I take the opportunity to introduce everyone at once.

"Good morning, this is Kristen, she's going to be working with us for the next little while as our Emergency Response Intern. Kristen, these are Lieutenants Henry, Hanson and Rhymes, our agency liaisons, as well as Cheryl and Maureen, some of our admin staff here. 

'

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*He averts his eyes after our eyes lock and looks down.*

'Ever the entrepreneur. Good for you. We've got a lot of players in the game here to make sure things run smoothly, but having been around the world with this job, I know that's just not the case everywhere. I'd love to do a lot more outreach and resource building in other places, get them to our level, but we're really one of a kind when it comes to having the money and capabilities to be this prepared. I mean, I certainly take whatever benefits I can out of it. There's not many who can say the same.

'Sounds like a plan to me, Sir'

"Anyways, enough chit chat, what say you we start the tour of the headquarters?"

*The commissioner takes me on a tour and explains the layout of the building and introduces me to various lieutenants. There's a lot of hand shaking and introductions.*

'So what would my duties entail as an intern?'

Kristen Santana-Estevez

'For the most part, you'd be doing some ride alongs with different task forces, getting out to different communities and interacting with their agencies. If something comes in while you're working, I'd like you to respond, if you're comfortable. It'll be a lot of observe and report, but if you do well, I'd like to see you take an active role with our officers. I'd also like to get you into the comm center and see what you think of those operations, how it all works out. Just come this way with me.'

I turn down the hallway towards the communications centre and swipe my passcard at the first door. I walk in and wait for her to follow behind me.

'Alright, this is the airlock door, so I can't open the second one until this first one shuts.'

Continue in comm center thread.

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

'For the most part, you'd be doing some ride alongs with different task forces, getting out to different communities and interacting with their agencies. If something comes in while you're working, I'd like you to respond, if you're comfortable. It'll be a lot of observe and report, but if you do well, I'd like to see you take an active role with our officers. I'd also like to get you into the comm center and see what you think of those operations, how it all works out. Just come this way with me.'

'I'm definitely more interested in a more hands on role.'

*As we enter the comms area I grimace thinking about having a dead end job like a 911 operator.*

'Will I be spending any time in here?'

I really hope he says no because I am way to overqualified to be  just a dispatcher

Kristen Santana-Estevez

• 1 year later...

Sitting down at my desk, I think, thank god the intern is somewhere else today. I told the receptionist that that deputy would be coming by today. Hopefully he has the good sense to do so dressed as a civilian. 

ert5012burke.png

Unit 50-12
Badge 0801

*Walking into the ERT building, I walk up to the receptions desk and ask to Speak with commissioner burke, She points me to his office and i walk down the hallway making sure my suit is scared away, Arriving at his door i knock on it* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png