A Bloody Mess Call Number 20230812

M. Price

'Jerry get me an ETA on EMS!'

I look up from the people on the ground and see the sergeant doing his best to stop the vic from dying and before I can key my radio, I see the bumper of an ambulance round the corner. 

'We've got one. And if that's not for us, I'm stopping it for us anyways.' I say, walking out to the roadway to meet the rig. "Everyone stay put, we'll be taking statements in a minute." I bark back to the witnesses who might or might not be suspects.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Shiloh County Sheriff Department 
Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*As we roll to a stop BJ jumps out of the truck without marking us. The scene is chaotic with the cops understaffed and what looks to be a sergent doing patient care.*

'Get the stretcher!'

*Seeing one cop already working and another cop getting what looks to be an IFAK off his ankle. I kneel down with the first cop working up the patient. The patient almost dead and all I can see is blood coming out of his chest*

'What do we got?'

'Multiple gunshot wounds to the chest. I cant get the chest seal on there's too much blood.'

'When did this happen?'

'30 minutes according to a witness'

'Theres no way this guy is still alive.'

*I feel for the coratid and feel a faint. Almost nonexistent pulse.*

'I feel something but I doubt he's going to make it.'

*Looking around for BJ*

'BJ lets get moving!'

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

As the ambulance parks on scene, a kid, and I use that almost as a literal description flies out the driver's seat and towards the box on the back. A white shirted female comes around the front of the ambulance with the jump bag and asks as she kneels by Bruno.

'What do we got?'

'Multiple gunshot wounds to the chest. I cant get the chest seal on there's too much blood.'

'When did this happen?'

'30 minutes according to a witness'

'There's no way this guy is still alive.'

With Bruno's hands tied up, and the medic officer all but calling it. I key my shoulder mic. 

"ERT, 213, can we get detectives on the way here, and a few additional units. I'm having trouble managing scene control here. Sergeant is involved in patient care at this time."

Not really waiting for a response, I leave the two of them to play with what will likely be our murder victim, and go back to the witnesses. 

"Alright, which one of you found him?" Two put their hands up. "And did anyone see anything suspicious in the area, ideally the guy that did this?"

"Uh, I think I saw a guy in all black taking off that way" he says, pointing south. 

"Good. Let's get a description. Tall, short, fat, skinny, white, black, what are we talking?"

"Um. He was, I guess, of African..." 

"Black. We're law enforcement, not PC enforcement. So this guy, fat, skinny."

"Real muscly, like definitely a body builder or some shit." Another guy speaks up

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

As we park I'm running to the back, if this guy is alive, he's going to be barely  alive. We're barely in park, and I'm flying out of the driver's door to the box. The lieutenant will handle radio and that I'm sure. I'll get everything she'll need to pack and run. 

As I open the back doors, I hear her shout something to me, but can't quite make it out. Probably to get the gear or something. I pull all the necessary equipment she might need - a stretcher, backboard and the monitor out the back of the ambulance and shuffle over to the scene with as much speed as I can muster. Getting in line right behind Breslin, I hear her call out almost as soon as I pull the stretcher along side of the patient, opposite from the cop.

'BJ lets get moving!'

"Right here lou!" I say, dropping the stretcher down. "This going to be a load and go?"

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

*theres bruno a civilian and now medics alll working on the guy,i opt to back off so im not in the way not like my rusty assed combat lifesaver training would be much better then what bruno had been doing with first aid and neither will be better then the medics training tho my own IFAK and medical stuffs also by him im about to switch to crowd control when i hear jerry get on the radio* 

"ERT, 213, can we get detectives on the way here, and a few additional units. I'm having trouble managing scene control here. Sergeant is involved in patient care at this time."
*with that transmission i glance around the scene im literally about to say something when i catch part of jerry and a bystander talking mentioning something about a body builder*

'jerry,we got a suspect,and a direction of travel?,if we get more units quickly enough if the guy ran ajax can help find him'

* i say as i move to help keep people off the scene so the medics and frank can work,while i scan for anybody paying to much attention to our victim with a phone out adressing some of the gathered crowd jerrys not talking with,my rifle still clearly visibly slung across my chest,im a big guy in a tactical looking uniform if this was gang related hopefully if theres another shooter aroundf  despite the fact its just me and swat holding the crowd maybe im a nice added deterrence incase they go for a dead check followup shot or cop shot for some  more street cred*

' keep it orderly guys,let EMS work people'

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

'jerry,we got a suspect,and a direction of travel?,if we get more units quickly enough if the guy ran ajax can help find him'

I turn back and see the dogman asking a question. I nod and key my mic at the same time, to give everyone an update. "ERT, 213, be advised, black male, all black clothing, muscular build, headed south. K9 on scene and have been briefed."

Unkeying my microphone, I look back to Sergeant Patterson. "If you want to take off southbound, I can hold down the scene. I'm good here boss."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'hm  musculer black male,black clothes headed south '

* i nod repeating what jerry said  when he nods i then address him again* 'sounds good like i said if hes not to far off,Ajax will find him if not due to the guys sweat,the GSR commin oFF him'

*saying that i turen back to 230 when i get to the truck i debate stowing the rifle as i grab a second IFAK i keep as a spare and secure it in my carrier,while i close up the durangos back hatch instead ill leave my rifle slung on my chest similar to how i used to rock my rifle when i served,a low ready barrel down type chest hang,the thought however only lasts a minute upon seeing how amped up my partner is so i quickly unlock the truck,throw the rifle back up front in its rack then move to uncage my fur missle having grabbed his long leash while i stowed the gun with the crowd as preoccupied as they are  i give a short whistle to the few nearest 230 as i let ajax out whos whineing and anxious to work*' stay on my drivers side,dogs coming out guys'*the few kids move basically just  in time as Ajax basically ia on rails heading south i havent even given any orders yet but hes already pulling as still as the air is it makes sense and given how many rounds the vic had the areas probably got an overwhelming gunshot smell so off the two of us go southward  hopefully into our shooter*

"county from 230,dog deployed,standby for update from me shortly"

* i say into my PTT as Ajax gets to work with me now and then reinforcing the command to search*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

As K9 takes off, I notice the EMTs start moving the patient. I guess he's not dead enough to call on scene. That's good I guess. As K9 moves, I hear the cacophony of sirens still approaching.

"200 on scene." I hear, and a moment later, see the slicktop pickup pull up. A unit normally not used for this type of response, the lighting package is more subdued with just the visor flashing and the wigwags up front. I barely noticed it as a police unit at first. 

"Jerry, what's on the go?" Lt. Blackburn says, approaching me.

"Yes sir, we got a single male vic, down, barely hanging on. I secured scene on arrival. I've got these guys here that were on scene as witnesses. Was able to get a description, but not much else yet. 220 has been down with the vic since he got on scene, and there was a first aider that was with the guy first there, I haven't questioned him yet. From what I can see, there's no active shooter here, looks like it's about a half hour ago. My assessment is we don't need SWAT. I did request detectives already, but no word on ETA. I don't know if you'd have any more on that."

Before he can answer, one of the approaching sirens silences and both our radios crackle, "ERT , 601 on scene." Looking up, I see the white and black ox the Oxnard absorbed units pulling up behind the Silverado. 

"Good Jerry, see if we can get a perimeter properly set up. Looks like we've got a few more units arriving. Parade should be finishing up for Oxnard now, so I'd say we'll see a handful in the next couple of minutes." 

"605, show me with 601 on scene." our radios crackle again, with another white and black Oxnard unit, and an all black SCSD unit, 606 pulls behind him, with the same radio traffic.

"Alright guys, work with Wagner here get a proper perimeter on this, detectives are en route. We've got K9 out, so keep an ear for any updates."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"This going to be a load and go?"

'What do you think?'

*As BJ sets up the stretcher I decide to use the resources available to me*

'Helpful Cop. Help me get this guy on the stretcher.'

*Me and the cop lift the patient onto the stretcher. Me and BJ raise it and wheel it towards the truck. Once we load it I hop in the back and hook up the lifepak. Vitals are shit and this guy is going to die.*

'BJ, get back here and put him on 02 and get the BVM ready. when we go en route call in a note. BP is 86/52 Pulse is 120 and weak. This guys gonna code.'

*I start a large bore IV and get a saline drip ready*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

"What do you think?"

"Well, wasn't sure just how far he was gone. He doesnt' look good."

As we drop the patient in the back, I close the doors. The blood covered cop asks where we're going as I close the door.

"Probably going to be county, yeah"

I move around to the side door, and when I get in, I hear Breslin bark, "BJ, get back here and put him on 02 and get the BVM ready. when we go en route call in a note. BP is 86/52 Pulse is 120 and weak. This guys gonna code."

I get the O2 in place and look at the cop, if he's going to be with us, and I've gotta drive the ambulance, he's going to have to be useful. I make a quick note of the BP and pulse and then look to the cop.

"Sergeant, you know how to use one of these?" I say, grabbing a BVM from the cupboard. He nods and I smile. "Good, I'm gonna need to get us to hospital, so get ready, if the lieutenant tells you it's time, you're this guy's lungs."

I climb out of the back once everyone is situated, and get in the front. Shift I start to move. 

"ERT, Medic 1 transporting 1 to county, priority." 

En route, I start to give my report, trying to manage the radio and smooth driving in case there's a chance we could save him.

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

"ERT Copies 213, detectives en route."

I pick through the on call rolodex and reach the major crimes on call.

"Major Crimes."

"Hello, ERT here, we've got a shooting, life threatening injuries, South Third Street near west side drive, units on scene, shooter at large still. Requesting detectives to the scene."

"Yeah, okay, show 310 and 311 going. I'll get them on the way." He hangs up abruptly before I can say anything else. Always warm over at major crimes.

"ERT, Medic 1 transporting 1 to county, priority." 

"Copy Medic 1"

Morgan Price
ERT 911 Communications Dispatcher
Badge 1606

I hear the request for additional units go out over the radio. Once the channel is clear I key up my microphone before speaking into it.

"Dispatch from 206, show me responding to assist code three."

I let go of the mic and rerack my microphone before flipping on my lights and sirens, turn the car around and head towards the direction of the call. After speeding through traffic with my sirens blaring. As I pull up on scene I cut the siren and leave my lights on. I pull up and park behind 606 and jump out of my unit.

"Dispatch, 206, show me on scene."

After radioing dispatch I jog over to Wagner and the others as the order to set up a perimeter is given. I immediately head over to the nearest unmanned portion of the perimeter and start my corralling the onlookers away to give us some space for to work. 

sd207dep.png

Deputy Ron Barrillo 
Unit 207

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2304

*I have accidentally gotten into the range of being drafted by EMS. The guy gives me the bag thing and I sit down on the bench near the head.*

'Does he normally tell cops what to do?'

*I say to the female paramedic*

'This is a new thing.'

'I don't like it.'

'I'm going to talk to him.'

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2049