Medical Alarm Call Number 09212023

R. Martin

MEDIC ONE. MEDICAL ALARM. FATHER CLAY HOUSES, SOUTH 24TH AT KING STREET. BUILDING TWO, APARTMENT 905.

Time:1148 Weather: Clear.

CAD notes:

FALL DETECTION ALARM

NO ANSWER ON PREMISE - WILL ATTEMPT KEYHOLDER

SARATOGA MONITORING OP 45185 CB 800-555-4562 REF FCH2905

SUBJ IS WILLIAMS, ALFONSO DOB 05-25-1957

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

MEDIC ONE. MEDICAL ALARM. FATHER CLAY HOUSES, SOUTH 24TH AT KING STREET. BUILDING TWO, APARTMENT 905.

*Hearing the tones go out i head out to the bay and get into the passenger side of the rig and key up off my portable well waiting for Bj to get out here*

"Medic 1 ERT Acknowledging that page will be enroute momentarily, Have you made contact with a key holder"

*releasing my PTT i buckle up*

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

Hearing the tones go off, I pull my pants up and run to wash my hands, before booking to the truck. I get to the truck and see Callahan up by the bay doors, looking like he just came from inside. 

I do a walk around of the body of the truck and then climb in the cab. 

"Ten bucks says this is  totally unaware nanny.

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2201

"Ten bucks says this is  totally unaware nanny."

'Either Unaware nanny or some one slipped getting out the shower'

*grabbing the mic out of the center console i key up*

"Medic 1 ERT Show Medic 1 En-route can we get a Deputy routed this away as well in case you can't make contact with the keyholder"

*putting the radio back in the center console i flip the lights on*

'But in case this is something more we are loading and calling for ALS back up and getting out of there as fast as we can'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"I'm hoping nanny is watching TV. I've never been one for slippery, wrinkly old folks. Not quite my jam."

We pull out of the bay and towards the scene running code. Two calls back to back. Man, maybe today will turn around.

"Wonder if anyone is going to answer the door?"

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"Wonder if anyone is going to answer the door?"

'Per the cad notes says Medical alert fall detection and no keyholder contact so i doubt anyone is answering the door'

*as Bj gets going through traffic i blip the airhorn as we go through the first intersection*

'If this does end up being bad though we gotta make sure we got all our i's dotted and T's crossed cause Breslin seems pissed after that bitch Fire Lt captain thing got her going on the Tech rescue'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

Pulling up on scene, I shift into park. 

"ERT, Medic 1 on scene and investigating."

I hang the mic on the console again and check my door before getting out. I go around the side and grab a BLS backpack while Callahan grabs his gear.

"We knock the door, wait for Sheriff and make entry if we need, and assess. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a quick answer at home. You'd be surprised how many we run with Shiloh VA that they just answer the door and Medic Alert had an old number on file. People can't be bothered to update their records."

I press the buzzer key for 905 and wait, but nothing.

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"We knock the door, wait for Sheriff and make entry if we need, and assess. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a quick answer at home. You'd be surprised how many we run with Shiloh VA that they just answer the door and Medic Alert had an old number on file. People can't be bothered to update their records."

'In these homes like this its very common for records to be out of date it happens a lot more then you think'

*Bj presses the buzzer and nothing*

'Great nothingness'

*grabbing my portable i key up*

"Medic 1 ERT have you gotten ahold of a key holder yet we can't make access to the building"

*Releasing my PTT*

'Hopefully this doesn't turn into a case of we gotta boot a door down'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"ERT copies, 1 on scene."

A few minutes go by, and then they come back on the radio again. Did they even try the age-old trick of pressing all the buzzers?

"M1, it's still no answer on the premise. Premise notes advise to buzz Apartment 100 for maintenance and that they should have a master key."

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

As ERT starts to respond, I find the apartment listed as Super. Look, it matches!

"Copy ERT. Trying that now."

"Yes?"

"Hello sir, Shiloh County Fire EMS here, we've got a medic alert, can't get an answer at the apartment, we're going to need to check on the address please."

"Ugh, okay, I'll be up in a second." and a quick click indicating the super hung up.

"He sounds as happy as we do"

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"He sounds as happy as we do"

'Again old people housing these guys don't truly care they are just here for a paycheck, its sad yea but its the truth'

*the super walks up and opens the door and we walk down the hallway getting to the apartment i knock and no answer, i try the door knob and it opens*

'Shiloh County EMS'

*no response i enter the apartment and see a male laying on the floor and walk over and roll him over so he's on his back and check his pulse and can't find anything*

'Fuck no pulse, BJ go get the lucas out of the truck imma call for ALS'

*grabbing my portable as i check breathing and don't hear anything i key up*

"Medic ERT we got CPR in Progress can you start O-1 and a second truck please"

*releasing my PTT i cut open the Patients shirt and start compression's* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"ERT copies, Medic 1. CPR in progress, requesting O-1. Confirm you need a second ambulance, or you need first responders for hands?"

I type in the CAD notes and key up on the channel once M1 answers. "O-1, you copy that traffic direct?"

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

"ERT copies, Medic 1. CPR in progress, requesting O-1. Confirm you need a second ambulance, or you need first responders for hands?"

*Keying up again*

"Medic 1 ERT First responders if you can get them if not get me a deputy or two"

*releasing my ptt i place my hands on the Patient's breast bone and start compression's feeling everything break i wince a bit and start counting*

'1 2 3 4 5.... 15 16 17 18.... 27 28 29 30'

*i turn to my bag and grab a Bag valve mask and place it on the patient and give two breaths and start chest compression's again* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"O-1, you copy that traffic direct?"

"O-1 Copies, Enroute."

Guess that smoke break isn't happening.

*I take a pull of my vape and get in the truck. I activate the lights as I pull out of the station. This is a project call and dude has probably been dead for hours. I'll take the slow roll*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

When we enter the apartment, I hear a silence, and see a man on the ground, ghostly looking. Callahan drops to the ground, checks his pulse and calls out to me

'Fuck no pulse, BJ go get the lucas out of the truck imma call for ALS'

"Copy!"

I turn and make my way out to the ambulance, grabbing the LUCAS and the airways bag. Just in case.

"Medic ERT we got CPR in Progress can you start O-1 and a second truck please"

"Medic 1 ERT First responders if you can get them if not get me a deputy or two"

Does he know something I don't know? Is there a big fire or something on the go? Why couldn't fire take the run?

I make my way back in quickly, but without running. Realistically an unwitnessed arrest is a death. Almost always. Chances are he's probably cold.

I get back into the room and start prepping the LUCAS. On count, I roll into place and hook up LUCAS to take over compressions. I feel the cold of his skin when I touch. Not icy, but certainly not fresh. 

"He's feeling very hypo. You get a response on ALS?"

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"He's feeling very hypo. You get a response on ALS?"

'Not yet take over bagging'

*keying up again*

"Medic 1 ERT can i have a ETA on O-1 please"

*releasing my PTT*

'Just keep bagging him for right now i'm going to check his med cabinet and see if i can find anything that relates to possible heart issues'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

If I can get them? What does that even mean? Engine 2 is down the street, the chances they're in their Lay-Z-Boys watching TV are approaching one hundred percent. I ship the call to fire and punch in the CAD notes. Not to mention that a deputy would be on the way anyways. This was likely to be a pronouncement.

"M1, I copy. Engine 2 is responding from quarters. O-1 responding from station."

A few minutes pass by, and M1 keys up and asks me for an ETA on O-1. Who should be on the same channel. Does he know how to talk to other units? I check the AVL tracker and do a little math in my head. "Approximately seven minutes per the AVL, Medic 1."

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Badge 2102

"Approximately seven minutes per the AVL, Medic 1."

*Going through the dudes Med Cabinet when dispatch responds with a Seven Minute ETA, Keying back up*

"Medic 1 Copies Medic 1 to O-1 Step up your response we have CPR in progress"

*Releasing my PTT i walk back into the living room and check on BJ*

'How are you doing kid we are basically working him until Breslin arrives to call it' 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"Medic 1 Copies Medic 1 to O-1 Step up your response we have CPR in progress"

Oh boy. Breslin was in a bad mood this morning. Being told to step up for a corpse is a great way to be shot. I hope they don't send sheriffs, less firearms means less shooting. 

'How are you doing kid we are basically working him until Breslin arrives to call it' 

"Bag's going steady. Patient is still unresponsive, no ROSC."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

"Bag's going steady. Patient is still unresponsive, no ROSC."

'Okay I'm going to get the Monitor hooked up'

*Stopping the lucas for a second well i put the pads on i start it again well i run a rythm check on monitor*

'Nothing still after this next round i'll do a pulse check but i have a feeling we aren't getting him back'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

*I arrive in front of the building and park on the sidewalk. I mark myself on the MDT as on scene, Walking around to the back I grab my ALS bag and monitor. I walk into the lobby which smells of bad weed and piss. I hit the call button on the elevator. I get into the elevator and step over a puddle of suspicious liquid. Before long I arrive at the floor and see the stretcher in the hall. I walk into the apartment and see one of the EMTs walking out of the bathroom towards the monitor.*

'Why are you in the bathroom?'

*I say both confused and angry.*

'More importantly how long have guys been going?'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Why are you in the bathroom? More importantly how long have guys been going?'

Ignoring the part that isn't directed at me. 

"We've been running CPR for about 11 minutes," I say checking my watch, "and toneout was about a fifteen minute response. I guess we were the closest unit to send. So all in all, he's been down at least 26 minutes, and CPR in progress  for 11, almost 12"

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

*Doing the third Shock on the patient still nothing so i turn the lucas back on as Breslin walks in*

'Nice of you to finally join us'

'how long have guys been going?'

'Just gave him his third shock so i would say 10 - 12 minutes and no change'

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'Nice of you to finally join us'

*Thats the last thing this guy should be saying.*

'Why were you in the bathroom when I walked in?'

"We've been running CPR for about 11 minutes," I say checking my watch, "and toneout was about a fifteen minute response. I guess we were the closest unit to send. So all in all, he's been down at least 26 minutes, and CPR in progress  for 11, almost 12"

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P