Shooting Incident Call Number 09222023-02

R. Martin

'It sounds like this is going to be a huge issue. I think we need to get PIO on standby. At best were looking at a firing, Worst case we're looking at criminal charges. isn't Rogers SWAT as well. He should know better'

"Yeah, he is. I don't know why he shot, for all I know he saw a gun, but you'd have to talk to both of them to confirm. I didn't do anything other than sequester them. It's not my place to interview them. If you guys are good, I have to go check on my probie. She's still got training wheels and I don't want to leave her alone too long."

I look towards the sheriff officers and let them release Wagner. Not my place.

"Zach, you've got one clusterfuck to deal with. I'd make sure you've got professional standards, PR and FCSB here. Cross every one of your Ts and Is. If you don't have all the hands on deck for this, OSHA will probably be poking their nose in, and there isn't much I can do to control that."

I hear a siren chirp as it approaches and nothing else, so I turn and see that a white tesla is pulling up along side us. "Your IA guys?" 

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

*County dispatch rings my phone and quickly pick up. Being told that there's been an officer involved shooting and it involves friendly fire, I quickly put on my charcoal gray suit jacket and head out the door of the office. I grab the keys for an unmarked Tesla as I leave the station. The drive is only a quick jaunt away from the station. As I roll up on the scene I chirp the siren. Getting out I approach the captain, his men, and some higher up from ERT.*

'Good afternoon gentlemen. Captain Russo,'

*I turn to the ERT fellow with the magnificent mustache. Possibly Burke but I have never met him before.*

'I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Sergeant Edward McSorley. Internal affairs.'

*Not wanting to miss an opportunity to make a new friend in high places I extend a hand.*

Detective Sergeant Edward McSorley
Unit Unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division
Badge 2042

*walking around listening to the crowd i hear people start talking about what happened*

'Officer.. What happened here'

*i turn around as someone asks me what happened*

'I can't answer that right now'

'Was anyone injured'

'Everything is Under investigation still and right now i don't have any answers, I'm sure there will be a press release later today'

'But we have the right to know being we write your paychecks'

*As the comment is made the crowd starts to press against the do not cross tape i set up, So i step closer to the line and raise my voice*

'Everyone needs to take a giant step back from the line'

sd211dep.png

Probationary Deputy Krystal Bagley
Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2350

'I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Sergeant Edward McSorley. Internal affairs.'

'Better terms to meet on, but I'll take it. Commissioner Will Burke, ERT. I was just down the road when the shots rang out, so I helped secure the scene and manage things until the sheriffs arrived. So, on a scale of 1-fuck up, how bad is this looking to you? I know ERT uses a slightly different scale than you guys do."

ert5012burke.png

Commissioner William Burke
Unit 50-12
Chief Director of Emergency Management, Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 0801

'Everyone needs to take a giant step back from the line'

Oh god. I don't want that third officer tied up in a shooting. She's my lost duckling.

"Alright, you heard the deputy, let's back it up people. Everything is under control. This is an active law enforcement scene, there is no further threat to public safety at this time."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"Alright, you heard the deputy, let's back it up people. Everything is under control. This is an active law enforcement scene, there is no further threat to public safety at this time."

*Thank Christ Wagner Arrived at the right time*

'How'd it go with the Brass Sir? they don't seem pleased'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'Your IA guys?'

'Yeah'

*I say as McSorely walks up and chats up the Commissioner. I take a step back. I was never a fan of this guy but he's a necessary evil I guess.*

'I guess you need to go take statements from everyone involved.'

'SWAT guy is first on my list.'

sd400cpt.png

Captain Zachary Russo, Fort Shannon Uniformed Division Captain
Unit 400

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 1109

'SWAT guy is first on my list.'

*I say brushing off the captain as I walk over to the Deputy in the car. I overheard the other deputy say he has him sequestered in a patrol car. I approach and knock on the window.*

'Are you the deputy from SWAT that discharged his weapon today?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

“AVAILABLE SHERIFF UNITS. TRULIT GARDENS, BROAD AND SOUTH 13TH, SHOOTING INCIDENT JUST OCCURRED. UNKNOWN FURTHER, CALLER DISCONNECTED.”

The first call on my first shift in the Shiloh County Sheriff’s Department. I received the call on my dispatch and headed to the shooting location immediately. I did my best to get to the scene fast as an attempt to impress my commanding officers.

There, I saw some other officers I hadn’t recognized or met before, so I walked up to them to greet myself.

Uh, hey. Deputy Patrick Jones, 202. This is my first day here, transferred from Lincoln. What happened? Can someone fill me in? What’s the case lookin’ like?”

I wasn’t sure if they had heard me or not, so only time would tell me if they had. I stood as they all talked and made it my intention to be ready for duty.

’Yes Sir Deputy James Rogers’ said one of the deputies on the scene.

Edited by Pat Jones

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

'Yes Sir Deputy James Rogers'

'Sergeant McSorely. Internal affairs. I'm sure given the circumstances you were expecting to speak to me sooner rather than later.'

*Before giving him a chance to answer. I reach into my pocket and produce an evidence bag.*

'So to start off I'm going to need your camera and firearm. Unload the firearm and place it in this bag. This is all department policy. Do you want to call your union rep before speaking with me?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'So to start off I'm going to need your camera and firearm. Unload the firearm and place it in this bag. This is all department policy. Do you want to call your union rep before speaking with me?'

*Grabbing the bag i take off my body cam and place it in the bag and draw my service pistol and unload it and place the mag and pistol in the bag as well*

'No i don't need a union rep'

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

'No i don't need a union rep'

'Are you sure? Because legally I have to advise you that this investigation can end with disciplinary action up to termination and potentially criminal charges.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

1 minute ago, E. McSorley said:

'Yes Sir Deputy James Rogers'

'Sergeant McSorely. Internal affairs. I'm sure given the circumstances you were expecting to speak to me sooner rather than later.'

*Before giving him a chance to answer. I reach into my pocket and produce an evidence bag.*

'So to start off I'm going to need your camera and firearm. Unload the firearm and place it in this bag. This is all department policy. Do you want to call your union rep before speaking with me?' said the older officer.

No one had replied to me so I had to speak up. I didn’t want to seem like an annoyance or anything like that, but I really wanted to feel comfortable with the Shiloh County Sheriff’s Department squad.

’Ahem, officers?’ I spoke up loudly. “This is my first call with the SCSD and I came as quickly as I could. What’s the situation with this shooting? What do we know so far?”

I really hoped they noticed me, it would be hard not to…

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

'Are you sure? Because legally I have to advise you that this investigation can end with disciplinary action up to termination and potentially criminal charges.'

'i'm Positive if you don't see it as a justified shooting then so beat i didn't harm nor kill anyone and stopped a potential threat, I feel like i did my job to the fullest' 

*I hand the evidence bag back to the IA guy* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*Some random deputy walks up to me in the middle of my investigation.*

'This is my first call with the SCSD and I came as quickly as I could. What’s the situation with this shooting? What do we know so far?'

'I know I'm in the middle of an investigation that you're currently interfering with. If you don't let me continue I can assure you that this will be your last.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

I see a new face pull up on the scene. Oh God. He goes straight to McSorley. I think of telling ERT to run the medical examiner, but I decide it's best not to. I suppose I better save this guy.  

“This is my first call with the SCSD and I came as quickly as I could. What’s the situation with this shooting? What do we know so far?”

I make my way closer as I glance at him and give him a brief nod and a grin, acting like I'm a friend of his.

'Hey..' as I squint to look at his badge. 'Jones!'

Before McSorley can even open his mouth towards Deputy Jones, I wave him along. 'Over here.' as I walk over to my cruiser, hoping he'll follow.

• Like 1

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

8 minutes ago, E. McSorley said:

*Some random deputy walks up to me in the middle of my investigation.*

'This is my first call with the SCSD and I came as quickly as I could. What’s the situation with this shooting? What do we know so far?'

'I know I'm in the middle of an investigation that you're currently interfering with. If you don't let me continue I can assure you that this will be your last.'

‘Yes, sir. I understand.’ I begin to feel slightly embarrassed for walking and interfering an investigation at the wrong time.

I hear another deputy call my name so I heard towards him, with slight confusion dawning on my face.

’Hey, man. Jones, you know that because of my…well you “situation” with that guy. I’m new here, who is he?”

I hope he replies to my question. That’s all I’m hoping for after my screw-up with whoever that officer was.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

'Well, let's start.. I'm John. John Allen.' I'd point to my badge as I now lowered my voice.

'That's Ed McSorley. Internal Affairs Sergeant. Never speak to him unless he comes up to you first, cause he is really the worst guy in this department.'

'I don't really need your aid, I just called you to save you the trouble. But, here's a quick recap of what happened: I was first on scene. We had reports of a white Lincoln Town Car that had performed a drive-by and was heading north in this direction. I spotted 'em and conducted a felony stop, upon which the driver backed up into my cruiser's bullbar.

Two deputies shot, and we almost had crossfire happen. They're probably losing their badge or something. I told them to not shoot afterwards because they could harm someone innocent.

A shitshow of a first call, yeah. Here are all the top brass: Russo, patrol captain' he looked towards Russo, 'Burke, Emergency Response Team commissioner - basically the top dog of everything.', he looked towards Burke.

'Blackburn, patrol lieutenant next to his pickup over there. And McSorley who pulled up on his tesla.'

'This doesn't happen often, I hope it won't leave a bad impression of the department on you. '

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

I understood what the deputy meant about McSorely, seems like a real jerk. I shook Allen’s hand and listened to what he told me about the squad. I also listened to what he told me about what we knew so far: that shoot-out seems rough.

Is anyone hurt, that all sounds like a bad situation. I met the Lieu, good guy. What about the perp? We catch him?’ I replied.

I asked him more about his life and told him about my experiences as a police officer in Lincoln, which wasn’t much different to SCSD.

I began looking at each and every squad member so I could get a feel of their character and how they work.

This was gonna be a long case…

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

'I'm Positive if you don't see it as a justified shooting then so beat i didn't harm nor kill anyone and stopped a potential threat, I feel like I did my job to the fullest

*He hands me the evidence bag. I walk around to the passenger seat and open my phone's voice recorder*

'Ok I'm recording. Just roll up the windows and give me your account of what happened tonight.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'Ok I'm recording. Just roll up the windows and give me your account of what happened tonight.'

*closing my door i roll up the drivers side window and look at the IA guy who looks like he has about one beer left in him before he's in a hospital somewhere with complete liver failure*

'We received a call for a shooting at South 13th street and Broad street, I marked enroute but had travel time as i was originally up near the fort shannon north and essex town lines handling a previous call, 230 Sargent Patterson with the k-9 division also marked enroute at that time i asked him to get us a tac channel to operate on, shortly after that 201 Deputy Allen also marked responding.'

*i take a sip of my bottle of water and keep going*

'201 and 230 arrived at the location and was given a description of the vehicle and was told it was headed north on broad street as i was coming over the bridge, shortly after 201 found the suspect vehicle at the intersection of south 8th street and broad street where i met up with him and 207 and i asked for a secondary tac channel for the units operating with the car, at that point 211 Blocked the vehicle in from the other side where i keyed up on the radio and advised for him to get out of the way of crossfire as the suspect was reported to be armed and he was down range.'

*taking a breath and another sip of water i continue on*

'After advising 211 to get out of the cross fire the driver of the vehicle revved the engine and slammed the car into reverse at that point i took two well placed shots into the front left tire in hopes it would cause him to slow down a bit before striking one of our vehicles, At that time 207 released another volley of rounds in the right rear tire and then the vehicle struck Deputy Allen's crusier, after the shots rang out i called shots fired and Deputy wagner transmitted it on the air and called for supervisiors'

'After that the vehicle proceed forward again where he crashed into a unoccupied toyota prius and at that point me 211 201 207 proceeded up to the suspect vehicle where we ordered the suspects out and took two into custody, i gave my rifle to Deputy wagner upon being requested to and came back here shut my phone and radio off and waited for you to arrive, i believe the third suspect took off and 207 and 200 went after him but i cannot confirm nor deny that' 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

'How'd it go with the Brass Sir? they don't seem pleased'

Checking to make sure there's zero ears around, I lower my voice as much as possible and start to speak. "Things were tense and shots were fired. PSD is investigating now. When you see them, it's generally a bad day to be a leo. But I'm going to tell you an important rule, number 11. If it's said in public, it's a headline."

As if by intelligent design, a news van pulls directly up to the scene, driving in the opposite lane and parking on the side of the road in what would be the wrong direction lane. 

"ERT, can you confirm that we have public relations en route? Media's starting to show up."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Is anyone hurt, that all sounds like a bad situation. I met the Lieu, good guy. What about the perp? We catch him?'

'One of the perps got tased, but everyone else's unharmed. All in custody.

Not every day is as exciting as today. Some days all you'll have to deal with is an old lady having a stroke.'

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

"Things were tense and shots were fired. PSD is investigating now. When you see them, it's generally a bad day to be a leo. But I'm going to tell you an important rule, number 11. If it's said in public, it's a headline."

'Yes Sir'

*Right on Que a News van pulls up and Wagner starts asking about a PIO*

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

• Burke locked this topic