Shooting Incident Call Number 09222023-02

R. Martin

AVAILABLE SHERIFF UNITS. TRULIT GARDENS, BROAD AND SOUTH 13TH, SHOOTING INCIDENT JUST OCCURRED. UNKNOWN FURTHER, CALLER DISCONNECTED.

Time: 1150 Weather: Clear

The 911 ling rings, and I pick it up. I can hear gunfire over the line as a man starts yelling into the phone.

"911, What's the location of the emergency?"

"Trulit Gardens! They shooting out here!"

"Is anyone injured?"

"I don't fucking know! Stop asking me all these fucking questions and get the police out here!"

"How many people are shooting?"

"I told you to stop with all these stupid fucking questions and get them here!"

**CLICK**

The line disconnects, and I type into the CAD notes that the caller hung up before I start trying to call him back. No answer. I can hear the sheriff's dispatcher across the room toning the call out over the dispatch channels. I keep retrying the number, hoping he'll pick up.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

*looking over at my cad as i clear from the forklift incident i see a new call come up and grab my mic and key up*

"209 ERT show me taking in that shooting call can we have EMS Stage in their quarters"

*Releasing my Mic i clip it back in the Holder and flip my lights and sirens on slowly making my way through Lunch rush hour traffic* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*theres literally not a damn thing oing on thats not handled so im about to conduct traffic stuff for a change of pace when the radio goes off*

"AVAILABLE SHERIFF UNITS. TRULIT GARDENS, BROAD AND SOUTH 13TH, SHOOTING INCIDENT JUST OCCURRED. UNKNOWN FURTHER, CALLER DISCONNECTED."

'welp, so much for writing somebody a ticket' * i slide my light to the 3rd spot and as i approach an intersection flick my siren to wail as i flip the durango around and grab the dash mic* 'county,from 230,responding to the shooting call" * i release the mic and move to get up to response speed... well as much as one can in this lunch hour mess*

Edited by Vanguard
typoed

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1337

While driving through a small side street, I hear the call go over the radio.

"AVAILABLE SHERIFF UNITS. TRULIT GARDENS, BROAD AND SOUTH 13TH, SHOOTING INCIDENT JUST OCCURRED. UNKNOWN FURTHER, CALLER DISCONNECTED."

Jesus H Christ. 

I move the ELS slider to 3 as I grab the mic attached to the center console.

"201 County, show me enroute. ETA 3 min."

I attach it back onto the center console as I whip the car around, activating Wail as I pick up the pace while responding.

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

'county,from 230,responding to the shooting call"

*hearing 230 key up i grab my mic and key up*

"209, 230 do you want a Tac channel for us?"

*blipping my siren coming down Phoxlind Heights Ave traffic is only getting worse when a car damn near hits me*

'Fuck this traffic is bad'

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*im not a supervisor but my stripes do have weight so i dont think anybodys gonna say no if i ask for a tac channel,and with 201 near me backups covered in the intrium till rogers gets here so i key my trucks mic,ajaxs whining in the background of my transmission* "county from 230,requesting a tac channel for this call please,also do we have any info on weather or not theres still shooting,or the weapons involved in it,im roughly 3 minutes away with 201" *  the waiting game however short for my request now begins as i work my way closer to whatever kind of call this might be*

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

I copy each unit as they go en route and read through CAD notes as other calls pour in on the shooting.

"230, I've now got a caller advising a white Lincoln Town Car was possibly the suspect vehicle. Caller advises the vehicle was last seen headed north on Broad. We've also got multiple callers reporting shots fired with property damage, but no injuries yet. I copy 230 and 201 are in the area." I depress the emergency tone button, holding it for a few seconds before keying up the radio. "ERT all units, hold the net for 230 and 201 in the area, Broad and 13th for the shooting incident." I turn on the marker tone and monitor the channel.

dispatcher.png

Rebekah Martin
911 Telecommunicator

Shiloh County Emergency Response Team
Badge 2102

Hearing shots fired call, I activate the lights, clearing from our traffic stop.

"ERT, 211, we're responding. Any additional calls?"

Waiting for a response, I look at Bagley. "Shots fired calls are 99% bullshit, but if it is a legit shooter, I'm SWAT and I'm in charge. There's no backtalk or I'm leaving you on the curb right now. People die in those. People get shot. I'm not getting shot again. If you're told to go somewhere, you go. No questions. Understood?"

There's a time for brevity and there's a time for explanations. There's a time for my relaxed rules, and there's a time to not fuck around. This is one of those. It'll probably be nothing, but if it isn't, I can't babysit. 

"I shouldn't have to ask this, but I need you to confirm for me right now you've got your firearm in its holster, and it is loaded."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

Driving South on Broad St., I spot the aformentioned white Lincoln Town Car about five blocks from where the shooting happened. Deciding to intercept it, I make an U-turn when it's a bit far away from me. I keep my lights off, just tailing it for now.

Its windows are dark, so I can't see much of what's going on inside.

"201 ERT, I have eyes on the white Lincoln at the intersection Eight St. S and Broad. Windows dark, unable to see amount of occupants. Roll me some more here and tell them to pick up the pace. Have not attempted a stop yet, just tailing for now."

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

*Finally making it to the broad street bridge i cross over when ERT advises car was last seen heading north on broad street and to hold the air*

"201 ERT, I have eyes on the white Lincoln at the intersection Eight St. S and Broad. Windows dark, unable to see amount of occupants. Roll me some more here and tell them to pick up the pace. Have not attempted a stop yet, just tailing for now."

*grabbing my mic i key up*

"209 to 201 i'm 30 seconds out i'm coming from broad street"

*putting the mic back in the clip i unrack my rifle and get it ready to roll*

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

"Yeah, obviously it's loaded."

"209 to 201 i'm 30 seconds out i'm coming from broad street"

"Alright, listen, we're going to intercept, I'm going to grab the rifle, and I need you to give cover. If this turns into a shootout, I don't want you to shoot unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Like it's the only way to save a life. You'll be tied to a desk for too long, and you're doing good as it is, I can't risk that. I don't mind desk duty. You shouldn't get stuck on it after shift one."

I pick up the mic as I flick off the siren.

"209, 211, we're about a minute out, I'm killing siren, but we're expediting behind you. ERT, can you notify Greene and get SWAT on standby? We've got two going, but with armed I want extra." 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'fuck... driveby bullshit'*this sucks but id rather it be this then say a hostage situation,or a dead body i key up as i tear through  an intersection cutting about three cars off as i stop at the building in question,its about as hood as it can get and the only reason im even getting outta my truck is cause backup is literally right nearby inbound* "county show 230 out at location" * i release my portables PTT after throwing the durango in park my head on a swivel basically ,its almost too quiet till i see a few people,a male and a clearly distressed female by one of the units,the male practically snapturns to face me* 

male: 'fuckin cops man, you gonna do something about this damn violence or what got my sister about to have a heart attack' 

me: "either of you hurt?' * i say noting the women has a child in her arms* 'is the child hurt?'

male: no but it was to damn close the wall with those bullet marks is  near where he was,and my son  fucked off somewhere,they share a room,and ive been sleeping on a fuckin futon for the past 3 weeks' 

* i nof and the male stretches' and i see a flash of metal showing,i dont draw but my hands ready and im unsnapped plus Ajax is basically behind me in my truck* 

'ok lets start over,tand hand over the piece ,you mind if i search you too?'

male: 'wha.oh shit sorry  you may reach for my weapon,my permits in the apartment,and before you clear it,yes i shot at the car,so when you guys find it the bulletholes will be from my gun im a firearms instructor no sooner do i get home some fuckers shooting up our place'

' ok,next time.. declare if you got a gun on you alright' * i move to secure the weapon i also take the time to pat the guy down  atleast cursory hes clear  but somthings off with his story* 'your an instructor,yet you live here huh...the projects'

male: "  i had a place out in kimberley damn floods ruined that though so my sis let me crash till im back on my feet,i get it it seems strange i know  run the gun,you'll see its legit  my date of births  August 5th,1974,carl andrews'

me: 'look wait here ok ill get you this back,if it checks out'

* i move back to 230 i had mostly been ignoring the chatter at this point and run the guys info which to my surprise turns out legit so i key up* "230 to all units with the car,im at the site of the incident,reporting party claims he took a shot at the car as it sped off,unknown if he hit but believes he hit either the bumper,trunk,or a tail light"

Edited by Vanguard

sd230sgt.png

Unit 230

Badge 1337

"209, 211, we're about a minute out, I'm killing siren, but we're expediting behind you. ERT, can you notify Greene and get SWAT on standby? We've got two going, but with armed I want extra."

*Grabbing my Mic i key up*

"209 copies your traffic 211, and ERT show 209 out with 201 give the air to 209 201 please move everyone but 209 201 211 to TAC - 2"

*Releasing my ptt i drop my mic and get behind 201 killing my siren*

'this dude better not fucking shoot'

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*I'm already patrolling nearby Broad Street when I hear the call go out. I don't even flick on my lights or sirens which is how close I am to the other units. I would loop around the long way so that I am able to come up behind the units and not put myself in a potential crossfire. I immediately pick up my mic and speak into it.*

"ERT, 207, show me out with 209 and other the other units in approx 15 seconds."

*I put up my microphone up before unlocking my rifle from the rack and letting it sit across my lap. A few seconds later I pull up behind 209. I keep my hand firmly gripped around the patrol rifle admittedly a little anxious and nervous while hoping I don't have to use it.*

Edited by Complaicant

sd207dep.png

Deputy Ron Barrillo 
Unit 207

Badge 2304

I flick my lights on and beep the airhorn, signalling for the car to pull over. It does as instructed, me pulling up right behind it. I take a moment to put my vest on.

"201 ERT, show me out conducting a felony stop on the wanted vehicle."

Moments after, I see the other units pull up to aid me.

I swing open the driver's side door as I get into position, taking the mic off the center console with my other hand as I activate the PA.

"THIS IS THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT. PLEASE ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOWS AND THROW THE KEYS OUT. DRIVER, STEP OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP SLOWLY. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. OTHER PASSENGERS ARE TO REMAIN IN THE VEHICLE UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO EXIT."

I begin pointing my sidearm at the driver's side door as I wait.

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

Pulling  in the opposite direction of travel, I see the flashing red and blues, and Allen getting out of his car. I pull ours in front, and grab the patrol rifle. 

"Let's go!" I say, opening the door and aiming at the car. "Don't shout orders, one person gives, the others follow. It's Allen's stop."

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*as 201 pulls to the left i pull up to his right putting 209 in park i grab my rifle and step out setting it up on the door*

"THIS IS THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT. PLEASE ROLL DOWN YOUR WINDOWS AND THROW THE KEYS OUT. DRIVER, STEP OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP SLOWLY. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. OTHER PASSENGERS ARE TO REMAIN IN THE VEHICLE UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO EXIT."

*Good Command's are being given and 211 pulls up infront of the car Grabbing my ptt on my portable i key up*

"209 to 211 get out of there watch cross fire"

*releasing my ptt i get back online as suddenly the engine starts revving on the suspect vehicle and slams it in reverse towards me and 201 and i let off two shots towards the car as he keeps coming back*

'SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED '

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

*I already have my unit pulled to the right of 209 and am out of the vehicle with my rifle trained on the suspect vehicle. I see 211 pull up and get out essentially directly in my crossfire. I immediately think to myself, 'Shit, why the fuck did he HAVE to park right infront of me?' Just then my worst fear becomes reality and the vehicle starts going into reverse and I hear the two shots ring out from my left. Immediately assuming the worst I let off a series of three rounds towards the car's at the rear right wheel well in the hopes of hitting the rear tire. Thankfully two of my three shots hit their target. One goes just above the rear passenger wheel into the quarter panel.*

"Shit, watch out!"

*I raise my rifle and continue to scan the blackened windows for any movement.*

Edited by Complaicant

sd207dep.png

Deputy Ron Barrillo 
Unit 207

Badge 2304

Seeing Rogers open fire against the car, I instinctively back up but hold my fire.

My heart almost stops after seeing this. The vehicle strikes my unit's bullbar but all is fine, mostly.

'DON'T SHOOT. WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANY PASSENGERS.', I shout out. 

Looks like Scrat hit the tires of the Lincoln and not whoever's inside. Thank God. It tries go to forward but it's not very successful at doing so with its popped tires, as it crashes into a parked Prius and stops, being unable to move any further.

I raise my firearm again, pointing it at the driver's side door.

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

The car starts reversing and I hear two shots ring out in quick succession. 

"Jesus Christ, down!"

Are they fucking insane? We're in the LINE OF FIRE!?!

Three more shots ring out and I stay aimed on the target. I will only return fire, not start. Good lord, what a mess. 

'DON'T SHOOT. WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANY PASSENGERS.' I hear shouted out. Thank god, someone has some sense. 

"CEASE YOUR FIRE, CEASE FIRE!" I shout into the radio. Jesus Christ. 

"Alright Bagley, you're with me. Do not shoot. Under any circumstances. Just follow me." I say, moving from behind cover. Jesus christ, I hope no one shot my car. 

I approach the vehicle slowly, with my rifle at ready, and check my shoulder twice to make sure that Bagley is behind me. 

"ERT, 211, law shots fired, requesting supervisor and detectives."

I continue approaching and look to see if any other deputies are approaching. 

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'DON'T SHOOT. WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANY PASSENGERS.',

*seeing the car try to go forward but drift off and crash into a parked car i grab a fresh mag and quickly changes mags even though i only fired two rounds i would rather have a fresh mag and notice Wagner moving up*

'Aight 201 and 207 on me lets go keep out of the cross fire'

*getting out from behind my door i start moving up with wagner* 

sd209dep.png

Deputy James Rogers
Unit 209

Badge 2011

swatbadge.png

As soon as I hear the call go out I head down to 200 and get into the Silverado

"200, show me responding"

Starting up the truck I head out of the station and flip on my lights and sirens as make my way south to the scene.  On my way I listen to all the updates on the radio up until the reports of shots fired from us.

'Oh fuck, what the fuck'

"211, 200, I'm about 4 minutes out"

sd200lt.png

Lieutenant Andrew Blackburn
Unit 200
Platoon Commander
Badge 1321

"10-4 200" I call back into the radio. "Unsure who fired shots from our side."

I approach the vehicle and check my shoulders. 

"OUT OF THE CAR! DRIVER HANDS OUT THE WINDOW, NOW!" 

He's basically instantly complies, and throws his hands out the window.

"OPEN THE DOOR FROM THE OUTSIDE AND MOVE SLOWLY. NO ONE ELSE MOVE!" I yell, looking at the two others in the car, both on the right side, front and rear seats. 

As the driver complies and goes to the ground, I keep my weapon trained on the car. 

"BAGLEY, Cuff the driver. PASSENGER, HANDS OUT THE WINDOW AND OPEN THE DOOR FROM THE OUTSIDE. Move slowly to the ground." The front passenger starts to comply.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'Jesus Christ Rogers, aren't you SWAT?'

I move up next to Deputy Rogers, positioning myself out of any potential crossfire with my handgun raised.

Going up against the rear left quarter panel of the car, I reach my left hand forth and pull on the handle, opening the door as I peek my handgun inside first then my face. I see a caucasian teen, about 18 years of age, wearing a bandana. He immediately puts his hands up as he comes out.

Looking inside, I can also see the driver and the front right passenger.

Having the rear left passenger come out, I order him to move back as we go into a safe spot. Knowing the others are handled, I holster my sidearm and move his arms around his back, quickly clicking a pair of cuffs onto his wrists before proceeding to pat him down.

On his waistband, I find a Glock 17. I slide my gloves on as I pick up the Glock, ensuring it's unloaded.

'Evidence here.'

Edited by Zezinho

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

• Burke locked this topic