Fight in a library - Call Number 20230945

M. Price

Still en route to the scene I sigh as I listen to the radio.  Did not think I was that far out from the library but it sounds like everyone got their and dealt with all three suspects while I was en route.  I'm quite close to the library now as I pass by ERT Headquarters on 1st Street North but by there won't be anything for me to do by the time I get there.

'Damn'

Flipping off the lights and sirens I key up the radio.

"ERT, 206, show me cancelling"

A bit annoyed that I just had to cancel I turn north onto Lyon St and then minutes later I turn east on 2nd Street North to head to Oxnard; I've a pizza to order and pick up.

sd215cpl.png
Coporal Evelyn Hawke
Unit 215

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 1504

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"ERT, 206, show me cancelling" I hear, going through all of our radios. I wonder why 206 was cancellin’, it was probably because we caught everybody. I took out his ID from his pants to show everyone.

‘Brandon Wilkerson. Hmm, hmm, hmm,’ I said. I'm beginning to think that teasing a suspect isn’t the proper thang to do, given they’re still civilians with rights.  ‘So tell us, Brandon, what happened in the library? We just want to help prevent this from happenin’ again. From happenin’ to you or anyone else.’

Brandon continued to stare at us. 

‘I ain’t telling y’all anything.’ Brandon replied. I began to get slightly frustrated.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

*After hearing the clusterfuck on the radio.*

"220 Patrol Supervisor, Put me on the Library job."

*I pop a u turn and begin to head over. Its not a super long drive but this shitshow needs to be addressed. Espically with two new guys*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department
Badge 2049

I step to the side with Wagner, quieting my voice so hopefully omly he and I could hear.

'Ran before we got here. Haven't located yet. I don't know what the hell this guy is doing or who taught him, but he's gonna fucking kill one of us,' I say as I gesture to Jones.

Jones suddenly disappears, reappearing momentarily with a third man. I shake my head, hoping he was the right man. I don't think anyone had a description of him.

'Guess that's him. I don't know, man. I'm washing my hands of this. Jones was here first, its his report and his call. You're senior on scene, I'll do what you need me to.'

I hear Bruno sign en route and I nod in appreciation.

'Bruno's coming, good shit. He can handle this mess with Jones.'

sd217cpl.png

Corporal Richard O'Reilly
Unit 217

Badge 1943

*Within a few minutes I arrive at the library. I double park and put my lights on level 1. I step out and put my hat on.*

"220, Show me on scene."

*I walk into the building and O'Reilly is the first deputy I see.*

'What the fuck happened here?'

*I say with a slightly annoyed tone*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

I grimace as Bruno appears and beelines for me.

'Sir. I arrived as second unit, behind Jones. I found him standing in here yelling at the combatants to break it up. We forced the combatants apart and I detained the one I had hands on. Jones did not detain his until I instructed him to do so and he lost control of the suspect when they ran. He did not pursue. Wagner caught and detained the perp at the door. Jones just detained this guy,' I say, gesturing. 'He says he's the third combatant. I haven't spoken to anyone to make an ID, but I don't know for certain if he did. Sir, I am concerned. Jones' actions put us all at risk and created unnecessary risk by allowing a suspect to run.'

I hope throwing the blame at Jones' feet would work. It was right, after all.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

'Ran before we got here. Haven't located yet. I don't know what the hell this guy is doing or who taught him, but he's gonna fucking kill one of us,' He gestures towards Jones. 'Guess that's him. I don't know, man. I'm washing my hands of this. Jones was here first, its his report and his call. You're senior on scene, I'll do what you need me to.'

"220 Patrol Supervisor, Put me on the Library job."

'Bruno's coming, good shit. He can handle this mess with Jones.'

"Great. So far I'm three for three today. Had a traffic stop my rookie told to go on with no license or insurance, had one of ours shoot at me, and now I get to spend a call with the super. I need a raise." I sigh. "Alright, let's get him searched, and talk to each of them to find out what happened. Are you positive this is the guy we're looking for? He doesn't look too badly hurt."

While I'm talking to the new guy, Bruno enters and notices someone other than me. Thank god.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

*Seeing Bruno arrive on scene and beeline for inside the library i follow him in as he beelines for O'Riley* 

'What the fuck happened here?'

'Sir. I arrived as second unit, behind Jones. I found him standing in here yelling at the combatants to break it up. We forced the combatants apart and I detained the one I had hands on. Jones did not detain his until I instructed him to do so and he lost control of the suspect when they ran. He did not pursue. Wagner caught and detained the perp at the door. Jones just detained this guy,' I say, gesturing. 'He says he's the third combatant. I haven't spoken to anyone to make an ID, but I don't know for certain if he did. Sir, I am concerned. Jones' actions put us all at risk and created unnecessary risk by allowing a suspect to run.'

*Walking over to Wagner as Bruno and O'riley talks things out*

'Jesus i guess i am a black cloud first the karen then the traffic stop then the shooting and now dealing with a supervisior, Did Jones find the third party involved the guy in our car refuses to talk'

sd211dep.png

Probationary Deputy Krystal Bagley
Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'So you're telling me that Jones failed to take any police action. Then proceeded to fail to take even more police action until directed. And then failed to take police action one more time. And when he finally took police action it may or may not be a false imprisonment?'

*I say much more annoyed.*

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

'So you're telling me that Jones failed to take any police action. Then proceeded to fail to take even more police action until directed. And then failed to take police action one more time. And when he finally took police action it may or may not be a false imprisonment?'

‘All right look,’ I say, as I prepare to talk to Bruno. ‘O’Reilly did nothing, I let the guy slip away and I was gonna chase after him but then I saw this guy here,’ Jones shakes him. ‘Sneaking all over the library, specifically looking at us and the man that O’Reilly detained. I started walking over to him and he ran, that was a clear sign to me at least that he was involved with this somehow. O’Reilly has nothing to do with my slip up. Chew me out.’

I know that I am a little hot-headed, given some of the things I’ve done in the past, but I was really hoping I wouldn’t get into an argument with Bruno nor any of the other officers on the scene.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

‘All right look, O’Reilly did nothing, I let the guy slip away and I was gonna chase after him but then I saw this guy here,’ Jones shakes him. ‘Sneaking all over the library, specifically looking at us and the man that O’Reilly detained. I started walking over to him and he ran, that was a clear sign to me at least that he was involved with this somehow. O’Reilly has nothing to do with my slip up. Chew me out.’

*I sense an attitude when he says that.*

'Yeah I know O'Reilly did nothing wrong. It sounds like the problem is you failing to take any police action and then detaining some random guy because as you put it was sneaking around a library. This may be a complete shock to you but your not supposed to be loud in a library and if he was involved wouldn't he have left the scene? Did you talk to him? Did you talk to the others involved or did you just put someone in cuffs for no reason?'

*I turn to the guy Jones has in cuffs.*

'What happened?'

'This guy just started walking towards me so I started to walk away and next thing you know he cuffs me and starts trying to talk shit. I was just minding my own business. I don't really like cops.'

*I turn back to Jones.*

'Cut him loose and apologize.'

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

'This guy just started walking towards me so I started to walk away and next thing you know he cuffs me and starts trying to talk shit. I was just minding my own business. I don't really like cops.' said the man. I slowly gasp in my insides.

Bruno turned over to me and said:

'Cut him loose and apologize.'

I grabbed my handcuff key and let him go, feeling truly remorseful. I still had lots to learn on the job.

‘I’m real sorry, dude. You’re free to go.’ I said to him. Was it far too early in my career to retire? Maybe not, but difficulties come with the job.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

'Jesus i guess i am a black cloud first the karen then the traffic stop then the shooting and now dealing with a supervisior, Did Jones find the third party involved the guy in our car refuses to talk'

'I don't know. Are the doors locked? Are you comfortable leaving a suspect in our car unattended? Or did you just shoot him?'

I take a deep breath and move towards the door so I can reach out and lock the doors again with the keyfob, just to be safe.

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

'I don't know. Are the doors locked? Are you comfortable leaving a suspect in our car unattended? Or did you just shoot him?'

'I didn't shoot him no even though i don't think that would help him i assume he was dropped as a child at one point or another'

*Watching Wagner go over and relock the car with the Fob i walk over to O'Riley*

'Mr Trackstar met a brick a wall he's in the back of 211 right now other then the obvious you and Jones figure out what we are doing charge wise or no'

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

I decide to butt in for a moment. I was initially hesitant to speak to the Sarge, following the wrongful arrest that I pulled, but I did so anyway.

‘Sarge, from what I know, this guy here hasn’t. Not yet, anyway.’ I tell Bruno and Deputies Wagner and Bagley.

It’s possible that O’Reilly got the other guy to want to sign a complaint, while I arrested that innocent man out of my own suspicions, but he probably would’ve told us anyway.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

I come back in and see Jones, Bruno, and of course, Bagley all around O'Reilly. Someone took rule 5 too literally. 

'Ok have the other two perps agreed to sign cross-complaints for each other?'

"My guy is secure in the vehicle still. I'm sure if we discuss with him we can convince him to complain against the other guy, but honestly. I think the best thing to do here is give them a summons for the disturbance and release them. I know I don't want to have to go to court on this cluster. Where did number 3 go?"

sd204cpl.png

Corporal Jerry Wagner
Unit 204

Badge 2005
swatbadge.png

"My guy is secure in the vehicle still. I'm sure if we discuss with him we can convince him to complain against the other guy, but honestly. I think the best thing to do here is give them a summons for the disturbance and release them. I know I don't want to have to go to court on this cluster. Where did number 3 go?" Wagner says. Everyone who was there already knows what happened.

‘I, uh, had to let him go,’ I say to Wagner. ‘He may or may not be involved after all, the real number 3 is somewhere inside, that is if he is still in there.’

I still feel like an idiot. Arresting an innocent person. Well, innocent until proven guilty, I guess, but he may not be guilty. He was sneaking around the library though, that’s why he was so suspicious, who sneaks around in a library of all places? I couldn’t shake the thought.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

"My guy is secure in the vehicle still. I'm sure if we discuss with him we can convince him to complain against the other guy, but honestly. I think the best thing to do here is give them a summons for the disturbance and release them. I know I don't want to have to go to court on this cluster. Where did number 3 go?"

'I Agree with wagner cause he told me and i qoute "i'm not talking" soo i doubt we get an answer out of him' 

sd211dep.png

Unit 211
Not a real person yet

Badge 2350

'I Agree with wagner cause he told me and i qoute "i'm not talking" soo i doubt we get an answer out of him'  says Bagley.

‘What’s the plan then?’ I ask. We weren’t gonna give up so easily. ‘Are we gonna release them and give ‘em a summon?’

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

‘What’s the plan then?’

'Catch and release. Start writing summones and lets not waste any more time on this bullshit. Run names and if they come back with a warrant. Otherwise they're gonna be leaving with a court date. Any questions?'

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

‘Run names and if they come back with a warrant. Otherwise they're gonna be leaving with a court date. Any questions?' Bruno says.

I wanted to be professional and fix my wrongs and prove my intent to be a good police officer. In order to pull it off, I continued to be serious and responded to Sergeant Bruno.

‘No questions, Sergeant. I'll start writing summonses and run the names for warrants.’

I take out my notepad and begin writing the beginning of the summons. Realizing that I don’t have the other men’s names, I ask the officers around me if they know, before I head to ask the guy in the car myself.

‘What are these guys’ names? Has anyone found out? I’m about to ask those guys anyway, but I want confirmation from you guys first.’ I say, awaiting a response from my fellow officers.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

Once Bruno dispenses his orders, I step aside with my detainee.

'Nah, we got it. You fucked up enough,' I tell Jones. I absolutely did not need his help here. 'Go write your report.'

I pull the detainee's ID and run him through the system via radio, and he comes back clear. I cut him a quick summons and release him from custody as Wagner and Bagley handle their own detainee.

sd217cpl.png

Unit 217

Badge 1943

‘No questions, Sergeant. I'll start writing summonses and run the names for warrants.’

'See that lady over there?'

*I say directed towards the 90 year old senior volunteer.*

'She looks like she's sneaking around but ya know. Don't write her a summons.'

*I begin to walk away.*

"220 Patrol supervisors gonna be clear. The current units will give you the finals"

sd220sgt.png

Sergeant Frank Bruno
Unit 220

Badge 2049

'She looks like she's sneaking around but ya know. Don't write her a summons.' Bruno said to me. I felt upset about my decision.

I felt felt a large knot of embarrassment in my stomach as I noticed the elderly volunteer that Bruno was pointing at. I had wrongly assumed the worst in the fighting chaos of the library. Clearing my throat, I said to Sergeant Bruno,

‘You're right, Sergeant. My apologies for the mix-up earlier. I thought the worst and I wanted to prove myself to my colleagues, especially after getting on the wrong foot with Deputy O’Reilly. I'll ensure we get it sorted out and provide the correct information for the records.’ I said. I was determined to rectify my mistake and ensure justice was served.

I didn’t really know what I was gonna to do with the SCSD, but I was gonna to make sure that I was not going to give up, no matter how many people taunt me or how many suspects insult me. Nothing was gonna bring me down.

sd206dep.png

Deputy Pat Jones
Unit 206

Badge 2308

• Alpha locked this topic