Medical Call with Possible Entrapment Call Number 20231012

C. Aylward

ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, MEDIC 1, EMS O-1, RESPOND TO MEDICAL CALL WITH ENTRAPMENT, NORTH 1st ST, area of library, FEMALE BICYCLIST FALLEN OFF TRAIL, POSSIBLE LEG INJURY, TRAPPED IN RIVER MUD. 

"Uh, Aylward! I've got a weird one"

"What's the call?"

"Fell off a bicycle, probably broke her leg. But she's down by the River, it's stuck in the mud. Not a high angle, not really a tech, but it's gonna need hands on."

"Okay, let's go, squad and a ladder, no need to tie up the rescue unless you think it's a tech." 

"No. Not a tech rescue. But it's in 1's area, and Squad is out on another call."

"Okay, do Engine and Ladder. And give the captain a call when he's on the way. And send the EMS officer car. It's a weird one for sure."

Lieutenant Charles Aylward
Shiloh County ERT Communications Dispatch Supervisor
Badge 1663

The toner goes off and I perk up. "Medical with entrapment" Hnmmm, as the voice goes on, I let out an audible laugh. Jesus what a mess this is going to be. And we get the ever pleased EMS Lt. 

I go out of the station commander office and to the floor. Dinner was good at least. 

"Make sure you've got your boots on tight. River mud is nice and sticky!"

I open the bay doors for Engine and Ladder, and notice the EMTs running out, and decide to be nice and even open their doors. No sign of Bitchlin, so I guess no door for her. 

I climb into the cab wearing only my bunker pants and toss the jacket on the floor, and bring up the MDT for hopes at some more context

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

ENGINE 1, LADDER 1, MEDIC 1, EMS O-1, RESPOND TO MEDICAL CALL WITH ENTRAPMENT, NORTH 1st ST, area of library, FEMALE BICYCLIST FALLEN OFF TRAIL, POSSIBLE LEG INJURY, TRAPPED IN RIVER MUD. 

*Looking at the cad as we are pulling away from the previous scene i see we get assigned to another call*

'Well Benji I hope you brought a change of clothes this shift cause it looks like we are about to get a bit muddy'

*Grabbing the mic i key up and flick on the lights*

"Medic 1 ERT we are going to be En-route to North 1st street, ETA 3 minutes"

*Putting the Mic back in the Holder i start reading through the cad notes*

'Women Stuck in Mud after falling off a bike with a possible leg injury, imma be honest this is a first for me'  

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2027

Hearing the tones drop I feel relief that this didn't happen during dinner.  Heading down to the Bay with a full belly I gear up quickly before stepping up into the officer's seat of the ladder.  As the rest of the crew gets in I mark us responding and check out the call notes.

'Ok, so some lady falls off her bike, down the river's embankment, and into some mud where she's stuck.  Sounds like she's also got a broken legs.  Can't tell until we get there but seems like we're using the ladder to repel down again.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

*I walk out towards my truck.*

"O-1 Responding."

'This is gon be some bullshit.'

I say loud enough for people to hear me but nobody responds.

*I get in the truck and fire it up taking the slow ride over*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Well Benji I hope you brought a change of clothes this shift cause it looks like we are about to get a bit muddy'

I don't like Benji, but there's worse nicknames. As he flicks on the lights, I smile, feeling the blood rushing through my veins. I love running hot. 

"Mud never bothered me! I always keep a spare change around. One time when I was on the engine, we ran a mutual aid to Ponderosa, I was first in pulling a vic out of the woods. Man was that muddy. Waaaay to warm for bunkers too."

As he reads the notes, he says 'Women Stuck in Mud after falling off a bike with a possible leg injury, imma be honest this is a first for me'  

"I've had quads, and water rescues. Never a bicycle fall. Guess we've got another one for the books. "

Meandering through traffic, I see most everyone is behaving today and actually moving right. Maybe the stars are aligning on this one. 

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Benjamin J. Jacobowski, III
Medic 1

Badge 2201

"I've had quads, and water rescues. Never a bicycle fall. Guess we've got another one for the books. "

'The Most interesting call i've had is some young buck Deputy got himself shot after trying to play hero' 

*Arriving on scene i look around and don't see anyone but grab the mic*

"Medic 1 ERT, Show us out did the caller give an exact location or just near the library?"

*Releasing the PTT i place the mic back in its holder i turn to look at the Benji as he's getting ready to get out* 

'Get a splint and Oxygen, i'll grab the jump back and Med Box for Breslin for when she gets here'

*Grabbing gloves out of the center i wait for a Response from ERT* 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'The Most interesting call i've had is some young buck Deputy got himself shot after trying to play hero' 
"Oh man, I've worked a lot of shootings. There's a bunch of things like that in Delmore."

We pull up on scene or at least where it is supposed to be. While Callahan calls dispatch, I look through the MDT notes. Before the Dispatcher answers, he tells me what he's going to grab and what she will. 

"Looks like she's gonna be on the river bank. Ten bucks says we won't even see her until we're on the other side of the trail."

"Medic 1, looks like the ALI is not far off your position, but you're going to need to head down to the river. Caller states she cannot see you, but heard your sirens arriving."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

As the firefighters climb aboard, we pull out of the station and make our way towards the scene. 

"What you thinking? Tie her off and tow her out? Might put a broken leg into traction. It's not harsh, it's efficient"

As we clear the third intersection and turn on to the main street, I see Medic 1's lights parked on the side of the road. 

"Pull up in front of them now, let's get ready, we'll probably be doing the lifting.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

After the rest of the crew gets in we pull out of the bay and follow the Engine.  Minutes later we pull up on scene with Bruce parking the ladder in a spot where we can use it to help get the victim out.  Hopping out of the truck I assist the crew in getting the ladder ready to be used.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

"Looks like she's gonna be on the river bank. Ten bucks says we won't even see her until we're on the other side of the trail."

'Oh lovely River mud, I think our best bet is leave the stretcher here, We have enough firefighters that we can easily carry her out the bus'

*looking up i see engine 1 show up*

'Oh lovely the other angry lesbian is here'

*Stepping out the truck i open up the side door of the box and hop in and grab the Med box and jump bag, Hopping out of the box i close the door as Jacobowski comes around the otherside*

'Come on Partner lets go roll around in mud atleast the Sheriffs department isn't here' 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

'Oh lovely the other angry lesbian is here. Come on Partner lets go roll around in mud atleast the Sheriffs department isn't here' 

'Noel? I don't mind her, at least she's less angry than our lieutenant. I'm definitely happy with the manpower assist to get her out. Ready to go man?"

I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder, and then get ready to head down into the River mud, noticing some disturbed ground on the way down.

'I bet this leads us right to our patient."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

Stepping to the edge of the embankment I look down to see the patient stuck in the mud and two EMTs going after her.  Turning back I walk over to my crew with a plan that at least sounds good in my head.

'Okay, Boorne, go assist the EMTs out there with the patient.  Beard, get the ladder in position over them.  Wilson, when the ladder is in position and the EMTs are ready for it, I want you to drop the basket for them.'

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

I head out to the ladder, climbing into the driver's seat. We pull out of the station, and I meander through traffic down to the scene. Not particularly busting ass, no reason to be excessive for this call. Seemed relatively minor. We got on scene, and I put the truck in neutral and pull the airbrake. I listen to Cook's instructions and give a nod.

'Got it, lieu.'

I do as instructed, positioning the ladder to be used as a tripod to hoist the basket clear of the mud. I wasn't particularly clear on what exactly we were doing, but the orders I had received so far were clear enough.

ladder31ff.png

Firefighter Dave Wilson
Ladder 1

Badge 2013

When we're halfway down the mud, I hear the sirens wind to an end and figure fire is getting into place. I see the patient at the bottom, one leg clearly deep in the mud. I wonder how she did that. 

"Hi there, my name is Benjamin, I'm an EMT with SCFD. What happened here today?"

"I just, I slipped off the trail, and I'm stuck" She tries pulling her leg out.

"No, don't do that. Listen we've got backup coming down behind me, we're going to get you out of this. Do you have an injuries you know of?"

"My leg really hurts. But I don't know if it's broken."

"Okay, on a scale of 1-10?"

"12."

This is MY pet peeve. That's not on the scale of 1-10. And it's definitely not a 12. 

"Alright, I'm going to call up and let our backup know, we'll get you some help here."

In my radio. "Fire command, Medic 1, we're with the patient, we're going to need assistance getting her out of the mud. Can you bring down shovels or any items you have that can help out with getting her out."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

As we get out, the Ladder is already moving into place, I hear my radio come to life. 

"Fire command, Medic 1, we're with the patient, we're going to need assistance getting her out of the mud. Can you bring down shovels or any items you have that can help out with getting her out."

"Medic 1, this is Engine 1, we're getting ladder in position to lift the patient out, Engine crew is going to begin the trek down. Any obvious injuries? Ladder has ALS on the way down to you now."

Looking around, I don't see O-1 here yet, so I figure I might be stepping up a little in the meantime. "Alright guys, shovels, lets go. She's good and stuck."

I grab one myself and head down over the hill following tracks downwards. 

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

*As Benji starts talking to the Patient i place the med bag down and start taking vitals Pulse is at 126, Resp 22, O2 96% and Bp 112/70*

"Medic 1, this is Engine 1, we're getting ladder in position to lift the patient out, Engine crew is going to begin the trek down. Any obvious injuries? Ladder has ALS on the way down to you now."

*Hearing Engine 1 ask for any Obvious Injuries i key up*

"Medic 1 Engine 1, Patient is Complaining of Leg Pain Shes quite buried down here and we can't access the leg yet to asses damage, Can you relay to ALS Vitals are Pulse of 126 Resp at 22 breaths per minute O2 96% and Bp is 112 over 70 Patient is Conscious and breathing"

*Releasing my PTT i turn back to the patient*

'Okay Ma'am are you allergic to any medications?'

'Uh Not that i know of'

'Okay Ma'am and whats your name?

'Susan Griffin'

'Okay Mrs Griffin, we have some firefighters on the way down to help us get you out of here, So shortly you'll be out and on your way to the hospital' 

image.png 

EMT David Callahan
Medic 1

Badge 2027

"Medic 1 Engine 1, Patient is Complaining of Leg Pain Shes quite buried down here and we can't access the leg yet to asses damage, Can you relay to ALS Vitals are Pulse of 126 Resp at 22 breaths per minute O2 96% and Bp is 112 over 70 Patient is Conscious and breathing"

I copy down the vitals on my glove and then look over to Boorne, who nods he heard it too. "Copy that Medic 1, we're on our way down with some gear now. Myself and a member off the ladder are ALS, we'll be down shortly. I understand you've got a unit on the way from your side too." Eventually.

I start the trek and see the three of them huddled at the bottom. Oh God. It's rescue randy  again. I wonder if he gets lippy with the good lieutenant, will she turn him into a floatin' frank?

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

Looking up the hill, I see a couple firefighter's awkwardly clamoring down the hill with shovels and rope. I'm guessing they're trying a tripod maneuver to get her out.

'Okay Mrs Griffin, we have some firefighters on the way down to help us get you out of here, So shortly you'll be out and on your way to the hospital' 

"Dave, looks like the cavalry is on the way down over the hill." I say, nodding up. Looking back at the patient, "Alright ma'am, so I'm not seeing any bleeding, which is a good sign, but we're still going to go slow as we get you out. If anything starts hurting, you need to let us know right away. Okay?"

She nods. 

"I'm going to be watching your vitals while Dave handles coordinating the rescue. When we're done here, you'll have a muddy bike, a good story and probably some ruined pants."

medic1-2emt.png

Medic 1

Badge 2201

Standing back I watch as the ladder crew gets to work with my orders.  As Boorne goes with Noel down the embankment I watch Beard and Wilson get the ladder in position over the patient.  It then hits me that the EMS supervisor isn't here yet even though I'm sure I heard O-1 call responding.  Oh boy, there's going to be shit stirring back at the station after this one.  Going back to the officer's seat of the ladder I grab a bottle of water and take a sip after cracking it open.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

As we get down to the EMTs, I let Boorne take the lead on patient care, and I coordinate extrication. And by that, I mean, start digging. My though is dig AROUND the leg and maybe she'll come out easier. I listen as they talk and start shoveling.

"Alright guys, let's keep a foot on either side of her leg. That should be enough to break the suction. Just nice and slow. No rush here," I look at the patient and the medical team, "vitals good?" And I get a thumbs up.  "Alright, take our time and do it right. No need to make things worse."

I start down by where I imagine her foot is, based on the length of her other leg, and push the shovel into the mud. A light clink means I've struck a rock. Great start. I pull the  shovel out and try again, a little lower, see if I can't lift it. I catch the rock, but it's stuck. A good little push and wiggle and up it comes. Easy. Man, at this rate we'll have the patient to hospital before O-1 ever shows up. Patient care is clearly a #1 here. 

Great. 

I pull the shovel free and go into the mud again, this time, hitting a metalic sounding rock. Odd. Carefully, I pull the blade out and go again, and this time it's not a rock. I turn the shovel loose and see I've unearthed a rifle. 

Trying to not make a scene, I don't make a huge deal. "Guys, watch your shovels, we've got some... Debris here in the mud. Just be careful. Let's get her out carefully and quickly."

Turning away to shield my voice, I switch to the dispatch channel, so my voice doesn't echo among the radios around me. 

"ERT, Engine 1 command, we're here with the patient and just turned up what looks to be an assault rifle. Can we get sheriff down here?

"Dispatching a unit now command,"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

Continuing to watch from the banks I watch as Captain Noel seemingly get slightly alerted as she digs through the mud.  Then I hear over the radio that she's unearthed an assault rifle of sorts.  Shit, what the hell?  Hearing dispatch respond that a Sheriff's unit is on the way I squat down and continue to watch the guys in the mud work.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021

As we finish the digging, I hear a siren chirp, probably the sheriff unit. 

"Alright, On your count Boorne." I say, with his hands at the patient's head. "Let's get this nice and slow, and then off to EMS. We're going to use the basket from the ladder, it'll be a nice and easy ride up top. Pain still okay?"

She nods.

"I'm going to stay down here, you good going up with her Ian?:"

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

Watching from the banks I see the crew in the mud place the patient in the basket as the Sheriff's Department shows up to pick up the assault rifle.  Seems Noel is staying down there to deal with them as the ladder brings the patient closer to us.

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Landon Cook
Engine 1

Badge 2021