Women's sleeping quarters

K. Summers

• 1 month later...

*Taking the time to set up my own bunk before a shift, I set may bag down under my bed, pull out my Fleece Jacket, hanging it on the shelf, placing my spare uniform pieces up, and plugging in my phone charger. I grab a spare set of linens out of the locker and make my bed. It's awfully lonely in here as a firefighter, only seeing EMS bunks. Man we need some more female firefighters.*

'Well, it's just us here again' I say out loud to anyone who'll hear.

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 2001

• 4 weeks later...

*Entering the women's sleeping quarters I go back to the bed I was on before the previous call and face plant back down onto the mattress.  Living with a three year old who wants to play tea party with her mother in the afternoons means I don't sleep much at home.  So I catch up when I can whenever I'm at the station with nothing to do.  Closing my eyes I relax my body as I drift away into slumberland.  Love spending time with my daughter but perhaps I should buy her some doctor toy sets so I can play the patient that needs sleep.*

medic1-2emt.png

EMT Erika Sjostrom
Medic 1

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 1315

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

*getting the womens Bunk room with Valentine behind me, I sit down on my bed and hand him the buttplate with the last name rogers on it*

'What do i do with this i don't need it anymore and i don't even know how to bring this up or who to even bring it up to'

*I look at Valentine with a clear Anxious look on my face* 

engine1ff.png

Firefighter Kathrine Clark 
Engine 1

Badge 2012

*as were walking i note were heading to the sleeping area,we pass the lounge and then the men's quarters arriving at the women's , i guess she wasn't kidding about wanting privacy,when she enters the room i follow and her expression tells me i should sit down but opt to just lean against the wall,im about to ask whats going on ,when she hands me her rogers nameplate*

'when'ed you guys split,and does mark or jennifer know?' * i say looking between the plate and her face concern not honestly shown sense her collapse incident on my face*

engine1ff.png

Firefighter/EMT Dave Valentine
Engine 1

Badge 1319

'when'ed you guys split,and does mark or jennifer know?'

'Everything was Finalized in May that's why i haven't been here with the divorce and helping him get moved into his new places it's just been rough'

*i kinda look down at the ground*

'I haven't told either of them yet, I'm not even sure what to tell them what the process is going to be cause all my paper and records are going to be changed cause i went back to my maiden name, I don't know what to do Dave and if i'm being honest all this still still seems so weird to me'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'Everything was Finalized in May that's why i haven't been here with the divorce and helping him get moved into his new places it's just been rough'
'shit....,you'll have to gimme the full story another time' *i basically force the sentence out,taken aback art the fact they split but nows not really the time nor place as to why*
*she looks down at the ground*

'I haven't told either of them yet, I'm not even sure what to tell them what the process is going to be cause all my paper and records are going to be changed cause i went back to my maiden name, I don't know what to do Dave and if i'm being honest all this still still seems so weird to me'

*i shrug im about as clueless as she is honestly  especially given ive never been married but i hope the concern in my voice is clear*

'focus on doing the job if your heads not here to do it,maybe tap the support staff,counselors and the like,they might have resources  or something, and if i can help name it and ill see what i can do'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319

'focus on doing the job if your heads not here to do it,maybe tap the support staff,counselors and the like,they might have resources  or something, and if i can help name it and ill see what i can do'

'i don't know how to feel thats the issue so i don't know if i need help, and last night before shift i got drunk and texted one of my dead friends, things are pretty rough right now'

*i look back up at Valentine*

'I'm sorry for bothering you with this stuff but your like my older brother and one of the only people i can trust to keep this silent cause right now i don't want this public'

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 2012

'i don't know how to feel thats the issue so i don't know if i need help, and last night before shift i got drunk and texted one of my dead friends, things are pretty rough right now'

'trusting a former sailor with a secret...,some might say thats stupid,others brave,i myself,am honored to keep it and the fact you see me as an older brother,flattered to' * i smile at her  the humor in the start of my sentence hopefully clear as my tone goes back to that of concern,or maybe worry i canty tell right yet* 'so you drunk texted your dead friend.... ok... look kat,and im being serious,like ive said im former Navy  now on the ship if somebodys head wasent in the moment,people got hurt or died and they might not of even realized it happened cause of there distraction and unlike here when we deployed,we couldent see a threapist  as we were in the middle of the ocean, look me in the eye and really really think before  you answer me' * i pause to make eye contact* ' can i count on you on a fire,in a building for example if its say just you and me..or you gonna let your divorce screw with the job? * i hold eyecontact but hopefully again my concerns clear*  'whatever your answer,were still friends,ill still help you ectra,im just concerned is all cause if we slip up ,people might die and i need to know when shit gets thick,i can count on you to back my play,or pull my ass outta something i cant get outta,and as your older brother,i gotta make sure you know when you need to get help,or get you help'

i  move to exit the girls bunks* 'you need me,ill be in the lounge,and i belive you got my cell too,wish i could do more for ya kat,i really do'

Edited by Vanguard

engine1ff.png

Engine 1

Badge 1319