EMS Duty Office

A. Breslin

'Mostly just had to address this. Your free to go. I'm going to have a cigarette in the bays so you guys are welcome to join.'

*I say nonchalantly as I close out the complaint*

image.png

EMS Lieutenant Alyssa Breslin
O-1

Shiloh County Fire Department
Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

*I stand quietly, listening to the complaint. I puff my vape pen a couple times, nodding as Breslin says she just had to address it.*

'Fuck that bitch. She's lucky they didn't collar her for interfering. Damn I hate nurses.'

*As Breslin mentions a cigarette, I whip a pack out and have a cigarette in my hand before anyone can blink. Don't tempt me with a good time. I follow Erika out into the bay to get a good smoke.*

medic7pm.png

Paramedic Tom Murdoch
Medic 7

Shiloh County Fire Department EMS
Badge 2008

• 8 months later...

Following Breslin up I close the office door when we get in.

'Nice one you did dicking off and leaving me alone for that lovely shit fest. You trying to get me fired? Your new EMT threatened HR.'

engine1acpt.png
Acting Captain Jennifer Noel
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'Nice one you did dicking off and leaving me alone for that lovely shit fest. You trying to get me fired? Your new EMT threatened HR.'

'You should have minded your own fucking business. EMS is not Suppression and we don't do the whole brotherhood bullshit you guys do. We have something called pecking order. That new kid may not know that going to HR won't work in his favor but he has to find out what happens when everyone finds he's a rat on his own. I did what any good EMS boss did and close the door and let those two settle it, Because that's how EMS is. Going forward if don't stay in your lane I will make sure you have a bad time here.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'Okay, so we're doing this one, are we? Your fucking EMT threatens HR in front of me, the officer for the station in the room at the time. If he did run to HR, the first thing they'd do is rake me over the coals, so I handled it. And if you REALLY want to get into it, remember he isn't an EMT on my truck, but look at your patches. SCFD. You're not AMR fucking renting a bay, you're part of this department. If anyone violates any fucking policies in this station, that's going to be my problem, or whatever officer there is there. Maybe next time I'll just go get the Platoon Chief, I'm sure he'd love to have to deal with the fight in the fire station. So before you get your panties in a fucking knot over me putting your EMT in his place, maybe control your staff so they aren't creating problems. SCFD EMS is part of SCFD. I don't run day to day, but we have the same policies, same operations, and same HR. Someone has to deal with the whiny kids crying HR, and officers sure as shit can't run at the first sign of trouble.'

I take a breath and try to centre myself a little more before continuing. 

'At the end of the day, you want third service EMS, AMR is hiring. You want to be in fire EMS, you're in fire ems.'

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

'At the end of the day, you want third service EMS, AMR is hiring. You want to be in fire EMS, you're in fire ems.'

'Who the fuck do you think you are telling me to get out of my station. I was here longer then you, Ive been a supervisor longer than you. And if you don't like the way I run my people by letting them work shit out then how about you mind your own fucking business and walk the fuck away.'

image.png

O-1

Badge 1301

EMS Station Officer
QA/QI Staff EMT-P

'You seem to have this idea that the medics in this fire station are untouchable and can run around like savages with no recourse. IF they want to get in their ambulance, drive over to the Delmore base, or McDonald's or wherever they want and murder each other and make the department look like an embarrassment, that's totally fine, and I won't have any say over it. They do it in the firehouse, they have to deal with it. SCFD EMS is a part of the fire department. This wasn't working their shit out, this was making a fucking scene right in front of me. You don't run your people, you aren't doing a thing with them. I'll tell you what, next time, so I don't frustrate you EMS Lieutenant, I'll make sure to go ahead and call the EMS Platoon Chief as soon as someone cries HR, and I'll be sure to let him know that there doesn't seem to be a single EMS officer here to deal with it either. 

'The policies for officers are on the computer, might want to look at the one regarding personnel complaints. You seem a little rusty.'

Fuck it, if she's going to walk around like it's fucking AMR renting space in the fire station, and tell me to fuck off, I'll gladly play her stupid little games.

I shoot her a little smile and walk out of the office before there's a chance for another response. I close the door behind me, not forcibly, just enough to make sure it clicks without being soft about it. I walk down the hall the few feet to the truck officer's office and key in my password into the computer. There's definitely some emails waiting for me to look at.

engine1acpt.png
Engine 1

Badge 2001

• 1 year later...