Detective work room

Z. Russo

'Hypothetically there was a child in that house. The suspect could have seen you were grossly unprepared and retreated causing a hostage situation causing a potentially killing the child. You are aware the department issues hollow point rounds that are highly unlikely to penetrate walls. Instead of trying to argue with the person who not only determines if you exercised good judgment in the Shooting but also determines if the actions leading up to it were preventable. So far your trying to defend the fact that you acted outside of your training and were grossly unprepared for a potentially fatal incident.'

*I say while maintaining my cold demeanor*

'If we want to talk about things that could have been, How about if the perp had opened up on the tow truck driver. Is the tow truck driver's life less important then someone who has a very low chance of being harmed due to law enforcement intervention '

Detective Sergeant Edward McSorley
Unit Unassigned

Shiloh County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division
Badge 2042

'While I am not doubting the validity of the shot, Given the situation from your statement it seemed warranted however if the perp has a gun out and in the open your firearm should be out. These people are unpredictable and as you can see these situations escalate quickly. By not having your firearm you do not stand a chance of getting control of a situation. That guy could have taken you out and then the tow truck driver while you tried to play hostage negotiator. The fact that you didn't attempt to take control or call in the QUALIFIED PERSON that could concerns me. In addition why were you trying to play with the dogs when there was a potential active shooter right in front of you?'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'If you felt the dogs were a tactical issue or a threat this department has a standing order to shoot potentially hostile dogs. The rifle in the car is more then capable of dispatching them. In addition your patrol car is equipped with a public address system that could have very easily been used to communicate with the perp. With all due respect and not to sound patronizing. Its the black microphone next to the white microphone.'

*This new deputy doesn't know when to stop. If I was his attorney I would have advised him to stop incriminating himself.*

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

‘Deescalation, Sir.’ 

'As we can see due to you not following protocol that didn't work out. Can you please describe Sergeant Bruno's actions after he arrived on scene.'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

• 3 weeks later...

'Alright, That concludes the interview. For the recording purposes you are dismissed as of 1315. My office will be in touch.'

*I say as I turn the voice recorder off.*

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

• 5 months later...

*Getting notified there was a shooting I get the initial report from the investigating detectives as well as the admin staff. I decide to call the two in and take statements. I read through the reports as I wait for the two of them*

@Vanguard @Zezinho

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

*As the events that happened are constantly replaying, I think about my actions as I walk over to the detective work room. I open the door and walk in, sitting down on the chair.*

*I say nothing as I await for Jason to show up.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Shiloh County Sheriff Department
Badge 2044

* as the saying goes you cant hold off fate,based on what ive heard about Sgt. McSorely he’s both a real hardass and the guys to anybodys knowledgr never worked a beat in his career so after i make sure my uniform is as on book as possibke i head up to his office did we need to shoot the guy,yes but no had he not of aimed at us he’ed be in holding but he forced our choice,a final check of my class D’s and i step in and sitdown  Its time to hopefully get this tour one  step closer to being behind me*

sd230sgt.png

Sergeant Jason Paterson, K9 Unit
Unit 230

Badge 1337

'Deputy Allen, We will start with you. Have a seat.'

*He steps in and sits down, I open up my voice recorder and start.*

'The time is 1156AM. This is Detective Sergeant McSorley with Deputy John Allen. Concerning a shooting on this date in oxnard. Deputy Allen. Please state your full name and date of birth for the record'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'The time is 1156AM. This is Detective Sergeant McSorley with Deputy John Allen. Concerning a shooting on this date in oxnard. Deputy Allen. Please state your full name and date of birth for the record'

'John Allen, born 18/06/1978. Aged 43.'

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

'I was the first unit to arrive on scene. Once I arrived, I put on a ballistic vest and drew my pistol, approaching the front door. The front door was open and I looked through the front window, seeing nothing. I await for backup as I hear the commotion of the perpetrator and victim running to the living room which is adjacent to the front door. The victim collapses and the perpetrator says 'Let's get on the road', referring to a possible kidnapping. Shortly after, Sergeant.. him'

*I point to Jason as I don't know his name*

'..arrived on scene and stacked up infront of me. We both heard two shots and a yelp from the family dog, the dog got shot after possibly biting the perp. After that, we both had our firearms drawn as we announced our entrance and walked in the building, meeting face to face with the perp holding a firearm. I couldn't tell what gun it was. We pointed at him and told him to stand down and drop the gun, however he turned around and aimed at the sergeant. I immediately discharged 3 rounds and so did sergeant. I saw that 1 of the shots was in the head and the rest were on the center. Nearly deafened by the gunshots, I notified county about the shots fired and asked for additional units such as EMS. After that, I checked up on the victim and the family dog, conducting first aid on the victim while sergeant secured the scene and found a needle along with needle marks on the victim.'

*I clear my throat.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

'So you ran back to your car to get an additional vest that was identical to the one you were wearing. Despite your current vest being more than sufficient to protect you involving anything short of a high caliber rifle. And you stated that you weren't going to enter despite a fire department employee being involved in a home invasion with someone trying to admittedly kill or kidnap her.' 

*I clear my throat.*

'Interesting. Why did you enter the house'

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

(You two are separated)

‘Are you not a sheriff’s deputy? Why did you wait for a sergeant to take lifesaving police action?’

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'I am (was) a probationary deputy at the time of the incident. I am not highly experienced in this field, and I could not go inside the house without putting the victim's life and my life in jeopardy. I had no sight until the end, and the end was where the Sergeant arrived. If he arrived a few minutes later at the end, which was when the suspect went to the living room, I would've gone in earlier because I knew what was going on. I know that every second counts, but I had little to no knowledge of the ongoing situation. I did not know the weapon the suspect was using neither if he was holding her hostage before the sergeant arrived. If I walked in and searched the house, found the suspect holding her, I would have gotten shot. There is a reason SWAT teams are the ones usually dispatched to do this and also why they are composed of several men, not only 1 person.'

Edited by Zezinho

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044

'I am (was) a probationary deputy at the time of the incident. I am not highly experienced in this field, and I could not go inside the house without putting the victim's life and my life in jeopardy. I had no sight until the end, and the end was where the Sergeant arrived. If he arrived a few minutes later at the end, which was when the suspect went to the living room, I would've gone in earlier because I knew what was going on. I know that every second counts, but I had little to no knowledge of the ongoing situation. I did not know the weapon the suspect was using neither if he was holding her hostage before the sergeant arrived. If I walked in and searched the house, found the suspect holding her, I would have gotten shot. There is a reason SWAT teams are the ones usually dispatched to do this and also why they are composed of several men, not only 1 person.'

'Alright lets start off with the thing that's the most wrong. You had options. Did you try looking in the window to see if this could have played out better. You also realize that you need to take risks in this job. A few minutes could have meant the difference between you and the sergeant being able to take him into custody instead of having to use lethal force. Your indecisiveness here could have cost a life. And as for your comment on SWAT, You don't know how things work. SWAT between paging them out to making a rescue plan could take up to an hour or more. Instead of telling me what the department should have done admit you were a coward. If you can't take initiative maybe law enforcement isn't for you. '

Unit Unassigned

Badge 2042

'Alright lets start off with the thing that's the most wrong. You had options. Did you try looking in the window to see if this could have played out better. You also realize that you need to take risks in this job. A few minutes could have meant the difference between you and the sergeant being able to take him into custody instead of having to use lethal force. Your indecisiveness here could have cost a life. And as for your comment on SWAT, You don't know how things work. SWAT between paging them out to making a rescue plan could take up to an hour or more. Instead of telling me what the department should have done admit you were a coward. If you can't take initiative maybe law enforcement isn't for you.'

'I did look in the window. I thought I said that earlier. No it could have not played out better. We are not going to be able to take someone who is holding a firearm to surrender and go into custody this easy. If he didn't flinch at two deputies aiming a pistol at him, and instead aimed at one of them, he would not surrender this easy. My decision was firm and I was sure on what I was doing. On SWAT, I was talking about that they are made for situations like these and regular deputies are not. I was not opining on what the department should have done, I was just stating a fact. I am not a coward. You know, if I was a coward I would have not signed up for this job. I know very well that both me and Sarge saved a life and had to take another.'

*I think to myself: He's calling me a coward but he sits here on this desk all day tormenting the entire sheriff's department? even when we saved a life? Fuck this guy. Almost done with him. Got his head so far up his ass... and he's only attacking me because I have no representation from the Union. Bet he'll shit his pants once he sees someone the same rank as him..*

*While hatred is running high on my blood, I wait for a response. I think again: Calm yourself, be polite. Passive aggressive at most. Peace of mind.*

sd205dep.png

Deputy John Allen
Unit 205

Badge 2044